• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well you for one.

The discussion about them fucking up MXT is not why these developers are mad. Constantly defaulting to "but they fucked up too!!!" is clown shoes. Again. Fuck outta here. They already addressed that they see the issue formally. They already stated they will engage with people who are respectful.

These developers are pissed because they are being harassed. There is no "but" about harassment. Everytime someone says "but" they are legitimizing the abuse. It doesn't fucking matter if MXT made people mad. It doesn't give any legitimacy to how people are treating them.

Say it with me.

"Harassing people is bad period". There is no such thing as a reason why.

Calm down

I literally say 4 times in the rest of the post you have quoted from me that it's never ok to harass or abuse anyone for any reason, but you're so driven to remove all nuance from the situation that you've painted me as legitimising abuse

If I have done that, report the post where I have done it and watch me get banned

Your reply encapsulates everything that is wrong with discourse on the forum. Never once have I said "But, the abuse sucks but it's justified because"" I have said they're two issues and both are worth discussing on there own terms

The abuse is always wrong, never justifiable, and abhorrent

That does't erase the fact that the MXT model is also exploitative and shitty

It doesn't excuse the abuse, which is never justifiable, but it doesn't erase legitimate concerns either

You want to erase legitimate concerns because a few people were assholes, which (for the 8th time) is never acceptable

Now, take a deep breath and try to explain why predatory MXTs are no longer an issue because some developers were attacked by assholes (which, again, is never acceptable behaviour)

Try and do so without misrepresenting me this time

Last edited:

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
No. it's a clear indicator that it's time to crack down on the fringe elements that are toxic.
Why are gamers the only ones allowed to be so shitty without being called to question ?

No sane person criticized Frank Lampard (Chelsea football club manager) when he came out strongly condemning Chelsea fans that racially abused one of his players. Nobody asked him if it was 'professional' to hit at toxic fans. Regular fans didn't feel
Insulted since they knew they weren't the racist folks being castigated.

But when it comes to gaming, a dev can't hit out at offensive fans without being blamed.
No matter how vitriolic or unpleasant treatment gets thrown devs way this is not a gamergate situation where people are en mass harassing and attacking devs for their gender, race, or something else equally unjustifiable.

This starts from a morally justified place lashing out against the abusive and exploitative microtransaction business practices that's infested too many games with its unethical practices already.

The only ones who can crack down on the developers and publishers that need it is the government because the whole 'vote with your wallet' schtick doesn't work when the market actively rewards unethical practices.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, in context none of these are outrageous. Obviously a community leader for a company shouldn't use the phrase asshat or dicks in a message board, but it's not really remarkable. People who play games and go to gaming communities want to connect with the developers in a human way, cut through the bull shit and actually discuss the game with real humans who work on the game, but... real humans say things in human ways... and if someone is being a dick, a real human might call them a dick.

If anybody is "outraged" by a community leader saying dick, asshat, or freeloader in the context of those posts... you need to recalibrate your outrage meter.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Amazing. The Ultimate Cardinal Sin.

Take a big step back, kids.
My question is, did they get personal?

That's the problem with F2P games and gamers, the entitlement complex. When someone's head gets a little big, dont' they need to be knocked down a peg?

Kind of makes me want to reDL Apex but I am not a Battle Royale fan.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My question is, did they get personal?

Of course not. The comments in the OP are 100% completely impersonal. They're the definition of impersonal.

But this current era of finding things to get outraged about and then making a big show of your personal outrage with ridiculous comments like "YOUVE GONE AND DONE IT YOU COMMITTED THE ULTIMATE CARDINAL SIN," because someone described someone else in the 3rd person as "a dick" or said that "they love freeloaders(!!)" is. ... just .. quintessentially the modern internet zeitgeist of trying to get attention for expressing how upset you are about something otherwise completely unimportant.

Nov 3, 2017
hey, look, the response here from the dev seems unprofessional, but do you really have to word the title of threads like this as "x dev calls GAMERS x"? Am I honestly supposed to just pretend people don't mean anything by this? He's talking about specific people, and even if some of the targets of his ire aren't serial harassers that doesn't mean his comments were directed at GAMERS as a whole, EVEN IF HE USED THAT WORD. This shit is really tiring. can we not just talk about things as they actually happened? Do we have to re-explain not-all-men over and over again in every similar context?

we don't have to because if you know it doesn't apply to you you're probably smart enough to chill

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
zd32neXcF1r3DHfmgTp9duP-aFM=.gif

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Of course not. The comments in the OP are 100% completely impersonal. They're the definition of impersonal.

But this current era of finding things to get outraged about and then making a big show of your personal outrage with ridiculous comments like "YOUVE GONE AND DONE IT YOU COMMITTED THE ULTIMATE CARDINAL SIN," because someone described someone else in the 3rd person as "a dick" or said that "they love freeloaders(!!)" is. ... just .. quintessentially the modern internet zeitgeist of trying to get attention for expressing how upset you are about something otherwise completely unimportant.
Moral grandstanding isn't exactly a new "current era" thing, social media just makes it a lot easier for more people.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Only read the first few comments but the devs, whilst not necessarily using the best wording, hit the nail on the head. Plus it's nit as though the monetised items are P2W so the vitriol is ill aimed.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of this fight back against the loud angry minority to be honest. The people who bundle on to every controversy need to realise that in most cases they are doing really fucked up things to people who don't deserve it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i don't get the freeloader "criticism." it's not a criticism at all. in f2p games there are whales, people who spend a little bit here and there, and then there are freeloaders. freeloaders are usually the largest group of players. that's generally how such a model works.

that also ties into the idea that cosmetic-only transactions have to be expensive, because how else are they getting money? people buy the battlepass once and that will fund your future battlepasses forever since the battlepass gives back the apex coins it cost to buy. $18 a skin is on par with fortnite. now personally i think the quality of the skins are not worth it but my gameplay experience is unchanged if i choose not to purchase any skins.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i don't get the freeloader "criticism." it's not a criticism at all. in f2p games there are whales, people who spend a little bit here and there, and then there are freeloaders. freeloaders are usually the largest group of players. that's generally how such a model works.
Freeloader is a derrogatory therm. Same as calling someone a parasite or leach. Besides any player that is playing for free is a potential costumer, so insulting ur potential costumers is never a good idea.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Freeloader

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the context of a discussion started because they received a shit ton of personal insults, harassment, and outright death threats, yes it is.
It's not when half the discussion in their own comments on Reddit are them attempting to justify their predatory business practices. Harassment, insults, and death threats are unacceptable. There isn't really much discussion to be had about that, because that much is obvious. But half the OP isn't even about harassment, it's someone on reddit asking a polite question about their business model and them doubling down on it. That's worth discussing.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean have you guys seen the subreddit. The devs aren't really far off on how poorly they treat them.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany

Yeah that freeloader argument is stupid in a free-to-play game. I would have preferred to pay once and didn't have everything locked tbh - kinda like Overwatch does it. You can still get most stuff if you're invested into the game. But obviously that would hurt EA's revenue too much.

Seandc33

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Yeah that freeloader argument is stupid in a free-to-play game. I would have preferred to pay once and didn't have everything locked tbh - kinda like Overwatch does it. You can still get most stuff if you're invested into the game. But obviously that would hurt EA's revenue too much.

There are also free games without microtransactions, as well as paid games with microtransactions inside of them, So I've never really understood the "Freeloader" argument either.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
"The Ultimate Cardinal Sin" dude and "You cheated not only the game" guy should team up and start the Avengers of Shitty Gamers.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Freeloader is a derrogatory therm. Same as calling someone a parasite or leach. Besides any player that is playing for free is a potential costumer, so insulting ur potential costumers is never a good idea.

not derogatory considering the context of him saying that they love that many players are freeloaders.
the game offers hours and hours of gameplay with no obligation to buy anything, because there is nothing gameplay-altering being sold, aside from characters, which take barely any time at all to unlock. people are just whining that they can't get even more stuff for free.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
There definitely are people with level-headed opinions dissatisfied with their microtransactions! Even in this very thread. I'm literally one of those who hates what they're and many others are doing with MTX, especially with fucking lootboxes. But I can voice my dissatisfaction without being a piece of shit hurling slurs etc. at them. With how much shit they're getting most likely everywhere it's no fucking surprise that they'd break sooner or later and get snarky. And in my opinion it definitely is on those specific Gamers™ for throwing hissy-fits over devs calling them rightfully asshats & dicks. Personally thought the "freeloaders" was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to hurt anybody, but I guess I'd understand if someone didn't like it. Still. Doesn't mean they deserve all the harassment they've been getting. People shouldn't be fucking surprised if the devs are having a hard time having a proper discussion about the way they're doing their MTX when the majority (or at the very least most vocal) are absolutely toxic shits who won't stop harassing them no matter what.

Said it like 20 pages ago already, but I really wish gamers would have the same energy for calling out devs who are actually transphobic, homophobic, ableist pieces of shit.

Should stand up for every single demographic that is being hurt or exploited.

Micro transactions are an aggressive attack on gamblers and children.

I agree with most of what you said. It is interesting though that through this action of a nasty gamer we found out that reapawn as a developer are more than happy with these pricing models. Most people thought it was EA pushing them to do it.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Both sides are wrong and right. The gamers are 100x more toxic then the devs have ever been, but no doubt the micro transactions are overpriced (for the average gamer). I play Apex everyday, it's really the only game I've been playing since it launched and I love it. It is just cosmetics but it's insane they can get away with $18 for a single skin. But honestly it's not necessarily Respawn's fault. People buy this shit at that price and a lot more than people realize. It's enough for them to obviously keep charging that much and make a profit.

Unfortunately there are enough whales out the that keep buying and in turn those that don't have that kind of money are alienated from ever obtaining these items.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
not derogatory considering the context of him saying that they love that many players are freeloaders.
the game offers hours and hours of gameplay with no obligation to buy anything, because there is nothing gameplay-altering being sold, aside from characters, which take barely any time at all to unlock. people are just whining that they can't get even more stuff for free.
I dont see anyone whining wanted free stuff. I saw a person asking politely if they would drop the price of skins, showing interest in purchansing skins for a fair price. And the devs come out with market research excuses while saying most of the playrbase are freeloaders anyway. And yes Freeloader is derogatory, thats why he had the need to add that he loved them. Ofc he love them, without the players that play for free the servers would be empty making anyone that spends money on the game move for some more populated game.

I dont have any problem with the dev calling asshat or dick to ppl that dont know how to give feedback without personal attacks or insults. Its the Freeloader part thats problematic. If you dont want "freeloaders" in ur game simply dont make a free to play game.

Last edited:

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Their criticism is totally warranted. IT GOES BOTH WAYS. If we bitch, they get to bitch too. It's called a Democracy.

You don't have to agree with their opinion and they don't have to agree with yours.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I don't find much problem with the dev's words or the skins. Those entitled folk can feel outraged all they want. A shitty comment deserves a backhanded response. Spew toxicity and you are going to get it back.

Sep 14, 2018
Calm down

I literally say 4 times in the rest of the post you have quoted from me that it's never ok to harass or abuse anyone for any reason, but you're so driven to remove all nuance from the situation that you've painted me as legitimising abuse

If I have done that, report the post where I have done it and watch me get banned

Your reply encapsulates everything that is wrong with discourse on the forum. Never once have I said "But, the abuse sucks but it's justified because"" I have said they're two issues and both are worth discussing on there own terms

The abuse is always wrong, never justifiable, and abhorrent

That does't erase the fact that the MXT model is also exploitative and shitty

It doesn't excuse the abuse, which is never justifiable, but it doesn't erase legitimate concerns either

You want to erase legitimate concerns because a few people were assholes, which (for the 8th time) is never acceptable

Now, take a deep breath and try to explain why predatory MXTs are no longer an issue because some developers were attacked by assholes (which, again, is never acceptable behaviour)

Try and do so without misrepresenting me this time

Don't bother with them, they have no argument at all other than tell you how you're actually justifying this and that, no matter what you say or don't say.

And also that user is clearly baiting you, which the forum is supposed to want less of, so please report and ignore.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Complaining about criticism while realising you overstepped and only acted as a result of said criticism is bizarre. Calling out someone that's being a toxic dick is distinct from that, no issue there.

Pretty much this. People being mean isn't okay but being mad that people called you out on your shit is stupid.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't bother with them, they have no argument at all other than tell you how you're actually justifying this and that, no matter what you say or don't say.

And also that user is clearly baiting you, which the forum is supposed to want less of, so please report and ignore.

I don't think they were baiting me, they just made a shit post then posted more shit to try and back that up, then bailed

Thanks though, at least some people on Era still want to have an actual discussion and not just post shit hot takes

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The self-loathing here is maddening. Aren't we all gamers? I just find it bizarre... ResetEra is a gaming forum. I know for one that I'm no entitled dick, ass-hat or free-loader. Fortnite has loads of $20 skins and you know what, I don't pay for 'em! I still play the game! But I just don't understand people in a video game forum so vehemently insulting "gamers". All of us literally play video games. I need this logic explained to me.

I like games. I also like movies, tv shows, books, comics, music, etc just as much.

I don't call myself a gamer any more than i call myself a watcher, reader or listener. I do those things but i'm not defined by those things.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
I'd rather pay a full price for a game with a lot of content and cosmetics that are already in the game but have to be unlocked via challenging goals than getting a fp2 game with little playable content and a huge focus on overpriced cosmetics. maybe i am a freeloader because i dont buy cosmetics but they gave me the option to play for free so am i really? i just don't want to support the current business model in BRs.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
When people take offence to such "generalisations" it's usually because they're part of the problem being addressed. as a gamer i don't take offence when people criticise gamers, why would i? i know i don't harass developers or act like an entitled prick so i'm not who it's directed at in the first place. what it does do is strengthen the message itself and piss off the people who it's actually intended to piss off...i'm good with that.

Hah, wow. Listen to what you just said. So according to you, people shouldn't be offended by stereotypes or negative representations? Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hah, wow. Listen to what you just said. So according to you, people shouldn't be offended by stereotypes or negative representations? Okay, I'll keep that in mind.
Who said anything about stereotypes? I just have no issues with people generalising to get a point across. I don't take offence when someone saying "men are trash" for instance for similar reasons. Or general criticism of white folk. Why? Because despite being male and white, I recognise that a large portion of white males are in fact...Trash. shocking I know. gamers are the same. If you don't fit the criticism being directed at gaming. Congrats. You have nothing to be offended by, I'm certainly not, you shouldn't be either.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Who said anything about stereotypes? I just have no issues with people generalising to get a point across. I don't take offence when someone saying "men are trash" for instance for similar reasons. Or general criticism of white folk. Why? Because despite being male and white, I recognise that a large portion of white males are in fact...Trash. shocking I know. gamers are the same. If you don't fit the criticism being directed at gaming. Congrats. You have nothing to be offended by, I'm certainly not, you shouldn't be either.

Oh boy. I'm pretty sure a large portion of all people are trash regardless of sex or ethnicity. That much is statistically obvious. The problem is when you specifically criticize a large group of people based solely on anecdotal evidence. If you're not offended, that's fine, but I'd hope you would at least understand why others would be. And no, being offended by a negative generalization does not mean that generalization is accurate or that you fit within it. That reasoning could be applied to any negative generalization about any group of people.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest takeaway from this is that toxic fan behavior and an unprofessional response has masked the fact that a company thinks a cosmetic item is valued at nearly a third the price of a box product.