• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Summary

• Twitch and Google data show interest in Apex Legends is fading quickly.
  • Popular streamers and influencers are quitting Apex.
  • Apex is wildly overvalued for a fading game.
  • With Apex making up a substantial portion of EA's valuation, EA's stock faces substantial declines.

Source

How is Apex Legends holding for you, ERA?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it got too popular, too fast and was meant to slowly build up to its success

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The battle pass killed my interest. I really love the core game, but as it's the same thing over and over it needs something to work toward while I play if it's going to remain one of my main go to games.

As it is, I'll dip in and out when the mood strikes me.

WarrenD

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How does a company with fifa madden and all that jazz have so much tied up in a f2p game?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the end matters is what money it brings in and if players stay playing and paying it.
Everything else is nice and doog PR but doesn't really bring money in

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I still enjoy it for what it is. Do I wish there was more frequent updates? Sure but I am coming from Overwatch which has a slower update frequency.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day its not a game you can play every night for months without getting bored. The gameplay is too shallow.

Jun 12, 2018
That article was so barebones I'm confused why there is even a thread being made about it. Google metrics and twich viewers determine if a game is successful now?

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for crossplay to be added to come back because the third person in my social groups for a fireteam are always on a separate platform

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Man, i guess I'm a bit lost with this news as I'm still casually playing it and enjoying more and more?

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It peaked way too fast, then the battle pass came around and that was filler shit. So that killed any remaining interest.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weak battle pass and lack of meaningful updates killed their momentum. Still the best BR though.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I got bored to be honest, after a few weeks without playing i played it again this weekend and yeah. Still boring me.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. Dropped the game within, or a little over a month once BO4 (finally) got league play.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Game is still more fun than any BR, therefore I'll keep playing. Cosmetics be damned.

Regardless, Twitch doesn't mean that much IMO. I watched a lot when the game came out. Now I don't, but I still play as much as before.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I really don't like stock market aspect of gaming...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play it any more. But to be fair, I'll never play a single game like this for months on end. I don't care how much the game does to keep it fresh, I'll get bored eventually.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What in the end matters is what money it brings in and if players stay playing and paying it.
Everything else is nice and doog PR but doesn't really bring money in

But that's not how these businesses work. You can make a modest amount of money at a sustainable and constant rate but once investors and management get taste of even more money, they will expect the game to maintain or exceed that level of success.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Bad battle pass killed it. I had fun just playing a few rounds every so often but I was very excited for "missions" ala the fortnite battlepass and when I didnt get that my interest tanked.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think they need more meaningful updates. Try to tell a story in the game with every update. Some map changes are needed as well. Overall it's a great BR game. Last I checked it was the 3rd most played game on Xbox love behind fortnite and NBA 2k.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
EA stock facing substantial decline amid underperforming retail software and declining Apex Legends Player count.

Activision Blizzard forecasting an earnings downturn in 2019.

Take Two is probably also taking heat over underperforming RDR 2's on-line mode.

See how vulnerable these big publishers can be? Keep that in mind next time a Youtuber tells you these guys have made more than enough money already and need to spurn further opportunities to monetize their games.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA's stock is going to drop back down to the 80's very shortly. If I was holding, I would definitely sell.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Mentioned this earlier today, I played the game religiously when it first came out but after a week or two it got boring very fast. Should have had a solo mode too!

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy watching Seagull play it more than I like playing it myself. Mostly because my PC sucks and I'm a terrible analog stick shooter gamer.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
EA stock facing substantial decline amid underperforming retail software and declining Apex Legends Player count.

Activision Blizzard forecasting an earnings downturn in 2019.

Take Two is probably also taking heat over underperforming RDR 2's on-line mode.

See how vulnerable these big publishers can be? Keep that in mind next time a Youtuber tells you these guys have made more than enough money already and need to spurn further opportunities to monetize their games.
Or maybe it doesnt make sense to for these companies to be tied to unrealistic growth potential instead of profit

Oct 26, 2017
Forced popularity via aggressive marketing and paid endorsements eventually fades. It doesn't help that it's another entry in an already crowded market.

Fortnite owns the BR market at this point. It would take a truly extraordinary title to break that hold, and Apex Legends isn't it. EA is finally realizing what all AAA publishers should have: there isn't an infinite supply of money/ whales to pay for every live service game. One or two rise to the top, the rest fade.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Game is great.. I love it. It needs better cosmetics and game modes or it will get run over by the new thing or people will fall back to Fortnite (for good reason) I just don't enjoy the building. I've been playing the BFV Firestorm mode and its pretty fun.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly really enjoyed it but the single map and the increase in cheaters put me off.

gschmidl

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Or they could make better games.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I took a break and I'm now interested again in the game. I think the lame battle pass was it that made me lose interest. Although I'm back in, they definitely have to work on the game; make a better battle pass with challenges and/or achievements in general, add better skins that alter the character strongly like OW does, add another game mode and smaller maps for the quick plug in and play action (the gunplay feels too good to 'waste' it on a BR mode only).

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does a company with fifa madden and all that jazz have so much tied up in a f2p game?
Because their other AAA shooter games have all been massively buggy and poorly supported / unsupported disappointments. Battlefront 2, Battlefield V, and Anthem have all been failures.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) It's a somewhat clunky game whose gameplay fails to live up to most modern FPS games, especially Titanfall 2
2) The in-game currency model is totally broken/too expensive
3) The battle pass is not a good value
4) People have become used to rapid updates/major map changes because of Fortnight, and Apex now feels stale because of it
5) People have the attention span of mosquitoes

I'm honestly surprised that Apex saw the meteoric rise that it did, but this was always going to happen to it.