• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Fun game but the release scheduled fucked it up from the jump. Came out a bit less polished than it could've been, their monetizing strategy was fucked up from Day 0. What the hell are those prices.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you put out any Battle Royale game, you can expect most of the press about your game to be a death watch, no matter how popular or well-liked the game actually is.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is like MMOs and WoW all over again. A 'WoW-killer' comes out, gets a lot of hype from the media, world finds out it's not a wow-killer, game gets labeled obomba and the world moves on.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Its never enough... EA is a monster and their share holders are monsters... they always want more and if your IP is not going to be the next big thing they can milk they are done with you. Respawn better hope for CRAZY numbers with their Star Wars single player game otherwise.... yikes they will be on the ledge with Bioware.
To get from "Apex twitch numbers aren't as good as fortnite, the biggest game in the world" to "Apex is a flop and Respawns position is nearly as bad as Bioware's" is ridiculous

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
EA is a gigantic ass company though. Like... at some point they should have probably stepped in and made sure the train stayed on the tracks. I guess its hard to do that though when you don't have any conductors left

I think Respawn has been adamant about maintaining control over their Titanfall 3 turned Apex game. Part of the reason the monetization has remained cosmetic only, etc.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
They had the entire gaming community by the balls and they blew it. I have never seen such an opportunity to dominate wasted. As soon as the game started snowballing, they should have pulled all resources from current projects and forced them to work on Apex legends against their will. I'm joking... partially.

Look... all I'm saying is they should've capitalized on that huge playerbase when they had the chance. Hell, they still have a chance, but they have got to be quick. GaaS games need to be quick with the updates nowadays. The playing field has changed over the last couple of years. If any other development team is watching this sinking Titanic, they need to learn from this.

Please be ready for success as much as you are ready for failure.

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
Is it getting to a point where the income isn't worth the cost to keep it a team supporting it and the servers up?

I feel like when it comes to Twitch, there's a line of thought that if you aren't the #1 game then you're a massive failure with no hopes of being a profitable/successful game. I don't know how true that actually is.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
For as much as underwhelming as the pass was , Apex has a solid offering in terms of mechanics . It's a shame to see player's attendance dwindle as it does because Apex truly brings something cool to the table. I hope it bounces back up just like For Honor did.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Sad to see we live in an age where the carrot on a stick matters more than the actual gameplay. Hard to believe people used to play Quake and CS 1.6 because the games themselves were fun to play.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is it getting to a point where the income isn't worth the cost to keep it a team supporting it and the servers up?

I feel like when it comes to Twitch, there's a line of thought that if you aren't the #1 game then you're a massive failure with no hopes of being a profitable/successful game. I don't know how true that actually is.
Form my perspective, the game has a solid fanbase seems to be healthy and profitable. However, that is not enough for share holders and after, seemingly, Apex failed to be the next for Fortnite some corrections are expected for EA's (perceived) value.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
its still the best br game around, when it comes to gameplay, how fun, and how polished it all is.

That being said, they are not keeping up with updates,. and the battle pass left a lot to be desired. There are only enough games of any BR that you can have before feeling burned, without new content

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looking over the article again, a big caveat to the data is the reliance on google interest ratings.

This simply isn't a fair comparison between titles. This data doesn't compare playership at all.

For instance, Fornite has far more reasons that people might want to google about it. It has more modes, features, obscure building strategies, and in particular it has monthly challenges for people to complete, with which, they commonly look up strategies.

A big testament to this is that even when Apex peaked, with more twitch viewership than Fortnite. There were still more people searching about Fortnite on google. If anything, this clearly demonstrates that google interest ratings don't predict the size of a games player base or popularity.

As another example of why this data is worthless. If we add in games that are very googleable (RPGs with lots of features, guides, builds, and reasons that players could google for information about the game), we get a stronger impression of how worthless the data really is. For instance, if we add Skyrim to the comparison, we can see that Skyrim has more people searching about it than Apex too. Does that mean we should believe that more people are playing Skyrim instead of Apex?

I'm not denying Apex's decline, and Respawn need to come forward and talk about how they plan on supporting the game in a much more tangible way than they have been thus far.

thenadamgoes

Nov 17, 2017
I'm still playing it every night, but to be honest as soon as something else comes out even remotely interesting to me I'll ditch it.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see we live in an age where the carrot on a stick matters more than the actual gameplay. Hard to believe people used to play Quake and CS 1.6 because the games themselves were fun to play.
When other games offer both gameplay AND carrot on a stick, why settle for less?

I say that as someone who still prefers apex and plays it more than anything else right now. People expect more than they did when Quake was big. Otherwise we'd all still be playing Quake.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Love Apex. Play for at least 5 or 6 hours a week. Which is a lot for me. Maybe it's because I am old but I remember the days of just playing a multiplayer shooter for the fun. No loot. No progression. Very infrequent updates if any. The Fortnight generation have been spoiled. It's going to be hard for any company to match Epics support and update frequency of Fortnight. Thank you Unreal Engine!

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
It has amazing gunplay and movement.. what it needs is either:

A) new map
B) new locales/rotating locales
C) better cosmetics
D) new modes (pistol and snipers only? no specials? smaller map mode?)
E) quicker updates

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
that is so true. people dont seem to enjoy the gameplay anymore but just play for some lame ass stats and skins.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How does a company with fifa madden and all that jazz have so much tied up in a f2p game?
EA owns the Apex IP, they don't own FIFA or Madden.
Which means that they can lose the license at any time and this is a liability.
EA owning Apex means that no one can come and steal that IP from them easily.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I've often wondered if being an FPS (not a TPS) harms a games ability to monetize cosmetics.

Overwatch does just fine with skins.

The skins in Apex are just not very good - and they are very expensive. Like, much more expensive than overwatch skins if you take into account that most are just recolors.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a fortnite driven BR market if you can't put out content as fast to compete you will lose and lose fast

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
if the game is so important for EA maybe they should fund it a little so we get a meaningful update in a timely manner. Game didn't have anything new , no new game modes, no updates to the map. All we got was one extra character and possibly the worst battle pass that's ever made. No wonder everyone is abandoning it.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The game is still brand new, and content takes time to develop! Jesus, let's give Respawn some time before we declare the game dying.

Yeah the battle pass is a bit underwhelming, but the thing that matters, the core gameplay, is still head and shoulders above anything else in the genre.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA stock facing substantial decline amid underperforming retail software and declining Apex Legends Player count.

Activision Blizzard forecasting an earnings downturn in 2019.

Take Two is probably also taking heat over underperforming RDR 2's on-line mode.

See how vulnerable these big publishers can be? Keep that in mind next time a Youtuber tells you these guys have made more than enough money already and need to spurn further opportunities to monetize their games.
That's a bad take. EA is anything but 'vulnerable'.

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
The battle pass killed my interest. I really love the core game, but as it's the same thing over and over it needs something to work toward while I play if it's going to remain one of my main go to games.

As it is, I'll dip in and out when the mood strikes me.

Agreed. I enjoy the game, but after about 100 hours my friends and I have already scored countless wins. I personally feel that I need some extra hook at this point to keep me invested. Fortnite was good for that because the battle pass had cool looking skins and extras, along with in match challenges that were at the very minimum at least introducing a different way for you to engage with the game. The map would change, new items and weapons would get introduced to the sandbox or vaulted. Unfortunately the battle pass for Apex was a real snoozer that felt very much like a boring looking transaction, where as Fortnite's felt more like a whimsical invitation to something more.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I've been playing on PS4 whenever I get time for gaming for the past three months, yeah no signs of fading from my end though!

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
No solo que kind of killed it for me. Also please don't give me any nonsense that its meant to be played as a team. Every BR mode since the genre existed has come with a solo que.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that a dev which EA treats as an afterthought put out a free game with no fanfare that became an unexpected smash hit and it actually hurt them.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite shooter to play with friends, but we play once or twice a week, if that. New content and a less boring, sluggish battle pass would help, but I'm also ... extremely happy with what the game is.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
This article is silly. I don't think Google trends and Twitch are any sort of indication of how well the game is doing. The game is still great and still very new. Sure it could use certain additions to the game, but those will come eventually. I think there is some overreaction going on here.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I stopped playing a couple weeks after launch because they won't fix the issue with AMD CPUs causing the game to hang at the lobby screen before being disconnected back to the title screen.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll hop on and play every once and a while but I'm definitely past my peak interest. Still a great game though, love Respawn.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This article is silly. I don't think Google trends and Twitch are any sort of indication of how well the game is doing. The game is still great and still very new. Sure it could use certain additions to the game, but those will come eventually. I think there is some overreaction going on here.

Yeah,

Takeaway

The market's ignorance of Twitch and Google data provides an excellent opportunity for savvy investors to exit their EA position before it's too late. It is now much more clear that Apex is:
  1. Not a serious Fortnite contender
  2. Worth far less than its implied value
EA has certainly earned a substantial ROI on its advertising for Apex, but in the end, a lack of updates and a multitude of bugs will cause the downfall of this game.

That seems pretty out there. The FIFA and Minecraft Twitch numbers are way below APEX.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I still play it almost daily and enjoy it a lot. Only things that bother me are the lag issues, disconnects and hackers.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blablabla battlepass, in my time there were no battlepass, no level or lootbox, you just played Counter Strike Source because it was fun and that's why im still playing apex

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing looks healthy next to Fortnite.

Apex has more interest than CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG, etc...all of which are also CRUSHED by fortnite - fortnite has left humanity behind.

Apex will never have a meaningful season pass without solo que, its just not possible to make it interesting or to make you do anything 'fun' without messing up the squads goal of winning