• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Comparing this with Overwatch makes no sense when Overwatch has a 20/40$ entry point. Majority of Apex players do not spend a cent on the game, and have already received a huge amount of content for free, because some players deem what the game offers as payable worth their money.

It absolutely is entitlement to expect the game to work exactly as you wish it would, even when you think it could be improved (and as a game developer I think it could be improved a lot but I don't know their specific constraints). There's a major gap between criticizing the model and the tone of this thread.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
That alternator skin is glorious.

It's subjective but both it and the Devotion one are among the best looking ones from the whole event, if you ask me. You can also earn an Epic Octane and a Rare R-301 skin for free, you'll be getting some nice stuff if you play during the event if you don't spend any money.

apex-media-fight-or-fright-challenges.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
benzopil

Would you mind change the title because you actually get two skins for free and you can earn an Epic Octane skin and R-301 for free by playing?
And the thread title is misleading.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
16800 apex coins for all the skins, and that's actually a much fairer bet than hoping to get it in loot boxes, lol.

Which is another pretty screwy way they can push people into spending a lot here. It's a small window to guarantee an item that is nearly impossible to get when it's gone.

It's not unheard of in f2p games. Smite does the same with with their events. You don't have to spend that much to get the heirloom though. You can get it randomly in normal lootboxes as well when the event is over.

It's a "guaranteed" drop after 500 lootboxes which is a shitload of money to spend. You get 45 for free from level 1 to max, then you're on your own.

Adding heirlooms to the pool actually hurts if you want a specific character, too. I got the Bloodhound one...but I wanted the Wraith dagger. Whoopsie. The faster they add these the less likely you are to get one you want, unless you go HAM on an event like this to lock it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The whole point of the thread is cosmetic and the question asked was about cosmetic.
And on top of my 3000 hours on Dota 2, Dota 2 has a bad progression/unlock system if you don't spend money.

No the question was stated as F2p system. And in that context is silly to pull in Dota 2. If you look strictly at cosmetics you can actually get the rare drop here and there in dota.

Also with Dota you have to take the steam market into consideration. If you want to compare what you can get for a few cents compared to what things will cost you in Apex, Dota is actually much cheaper.

Comparing the two games as a whole package you get a very different picture then the one you where trying to paint.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Which is another pretty screwy way they can push people into spending a lot here. It's a small window to guarantee an item that is nearly impossible to get when it's gone.

It's a "guaranteed" drop after 500 lootboxes which is a shitload of money to spend. You get 45 for free from level 1 to max, then you're on your own.

Adding heirlooms to the pool actually hurts if you want a specific character, too. I got the Bloodhound one...but I wanted the Wraith dagger. Whoopsie. The faster they add these the less likely you are to get one you want, unless you go HAM on an event like this to lock it.

You can get it before 500 lootboxes. I got wraiths at like 15. 500 guarantees it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I mean, they are skin so they can do how they want,
what the actual fuck lmao

And people are defending this?

...why?
I mean... defending... it's a skin in a F2P game, it's only cosmetic.
Could have better prices? Yes, but ppl could ignore the silly skins and just play the game... for free, with no ads or so during match or other strange things that happen in mobile games.

You know when I get mad? When in a 60€/$ game they put exclusive weapons in random lootbox (*coughcough* COD *coughcough*), that's the shit I can't stand.

A 100$ skin? Yeah, I can ignore it like a can ignore a 1000$ phone (*coughcough* iPhone *coughcough*).

Oct 27, 2017
You're mixing up two people's posts. I pleaded ignorance, they were responding to me.

I understand that the skins are expensive, I certainly wouldn't buy them. Why is it a problem for anyone besides the business that they're unaffordable?

Regarding what other games are doing with events, why would that matter for Apex? They don't have to follow the business models of other games. If that ends up hurting their business then that's on them.

Cool logic mate. If it ends up hurting them, it is really on them?

It is a problem for everyone: EA's bottom line, Respawn support budget, Apex PR, paid customers, free customers. And the reason why you don't want to stray from the working business models is that they usually maximize both revenue and player satisfaction. It is possible that both business and customers win instead of one ripping off another.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, heirloom collecting is a bad idea unless you have money to literally burn.

I meant that more for people who are eyeing getting one for their main. Like if you play Lifeline a ton, spending a bunch of money on this event is the only feasible way you're ever gonna see it since it gets thrown into a pool afterwards that just gets more filled in as time goes by. If the pack gave you an heirloom token or something to redeem on whatever character you wanted it would be a lot cleaner but...I'm sure we know why they don't.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any mention of whether there are free packs at all in that post? There's nothing there to suggest that there might not be a few as rewards from the challenges, but I guess we're gamers so we need to get our outrage in early.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I meant that more for people who are eyeing getting one for their main. Like if you play Lifeline a ton, spending a bunch of money on this event is the only feasible way you're ever gonna see it since it gets thrown into a pool afterwards that just gets more filled in as time goes by. If the pack gave you an heirloom token or something to redeem on whatever character you wanted it would be a lot cleaner but...I'm sure we know why they don't.
Yeah, they're taking hints from Gacha banner events, I guess. It's best to just not even wade into that pool. Heirlooms may as well just not exist, so far as I'm concerned.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Cool logic mate. If it ends up hurting them, it is really on them?

It is a problem for everyone: EA's bottom line, Respawn support budget, Apex PR, paid customers, free customers. And the reason why you don't want to stray from the working business models is that they usually maximize both revenue and player satisfaction. It is possible that both business and customers win instead of one ripping off another.
Really don't understand why you're being hostile here. I also don't fully understand what you're trying to say here, so please correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

If the items are overpriced and no one buys them, how does that hurt anyone besides Respawn? They're literally just cosmetic items, the game will still be free and play exactly the same for everyone; including those who buy the skins and those who don't.

I agree with the complaints that they're too expensive and I won't be buying them, the rest is up for people's subjective opinion of value to decide.

Regarding events, if Fortnite wants to do events differently? That's great! It's a competitive advantage over Apex and if Respawn sees a significant shift in numbers because of that reason then I can totally see them wanting to copy something that works better.

I'm not certain though how you can imply that other models are quantitatively or qualitatively better than what's being offered by Apex. At least Respawn doesn't seem to think so either. But if you have some data or something to reinforce that I'd love to see it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess: this is practically impossible without spending money?
No, it's actually impossible without spending money. Each of the 24 cosmetics costs a minimum of 700 coins to get through random packs. (More if you buy individuals specifically.)

Although you do get 100 more apex coins per season pass than it costs to buy the next season pass, so maybe in another 168 seasons you'll be able to get another free heirloom. We're in season 3 now. Just like 38 years of grinding left.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
For real.

Some people are insane, they want everything for free and how dare developers asking money for cosmetics when they are offering a fully fledged free to play game.
To be fair, I think the disconnect comes from a lot of people on this forum being the type who would gladly pay 20, 40, or even $60 for a game like this.

The problem is really that kind of customer being frustrated by f2p game design that wasn't really designed for them.

Oct 26, 2017
Good for you, got to get the pathetic corporate bootlicking in early. You go one with your bad self forum warrior.

Forum warrior? Cute

It's funny how the average user on era is not able to make actual argument and their only responses are: "CORPORATE BOOTLICKER" or "FORUM WARRIOR" when you don't agree with their "arguments" or points.
If having a discussion in a forum, makes you a forum warrior, so be it, i'm proud to be a forum warrior then.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The good ol' argument "its free to play you dont deserve anthing".

The way Respawn implemented MTX in this game is digusting and predatory.

In-game challeneges only give you renows and XP, not packs.
The Alpha packs are randomly dropped, i don't remember alpha packs given for free by completing the daily or weekly challenges.

Now replying to a thread makes you angry?
Sorry what?

Mate. I've been playing rainbow since blood orchid and I can legit show you the rewards I got from Ubisoft club for in-game events :/ I know for a fact that for 9/10 events, ubi does give 1-2 and sometimes even 3 free packs for the event through Ubisoft club and you have to buy the rest through in game currency to complete the set.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The good ol' argument "its free to play you dont deserve anthing".

The way Respawn implemented MTX in this game is digusting and predatory.

7 dollar lootboxes and 8-20 dollar skins(same as fortnite) is disgusting and predatory? Lol... People have been playing this game totally free for 8 months with new content every season. How do you propose they make their money?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
There are no free packs, but instead they are giving two (good looking) gun skins for free and you can earn Octane and a gun skin by completing challenges.
Where does it say that in the post linked in the OP? I see the free legendaries, but nothing in that post mentions whether there are or are not free packs.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
7 dollar lootboxes and 8-20 dollar skins(same as fortnite) is disgusting and predatory? Lol... People have been playing this game totally free for 8 months with new content every season. How do you propose they make their money?
Nothing better than spending 7 dollars only to get a quip for a character.

Fortnite's ecosystem is much better. There is zero gambling. You can farm vbucks in the coop mode daily, where i farmed almost 10000 vbucks there alone. You get more currency form the battle pass in fortnite than in Apex.

Apex just has a shitty progession system.

OP
OP
benzopil

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
benzopil

Would you mind change the title because you actually get two skins for free and you can earn an Epic Octane skin and R-301 for free by playing?
And the thread title is misleading.
The info about free weapon skins was there from the beginning. They are not at all connected to 24 event skins.
And there did you get the info about 301 and Octane?

Edit: nvm, I see now. Why didn't they write this in the blog then

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This just makes me appreciate fortnite more. I don't play the game anymore but their steady stream of currency, content filled battlepasses and events and discounted cosmetics have been fantastic.

The funny thing, is that i would spend more in Fortnite then in Apex becuase i don't feel like i'm being robbed.

It's amazing how Epic have created such an amazing example of how a free to play game can earn you a fortune yet so many other companies get it so wrong when they try to imitate them.

Last edited:

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Nothing better than spending 7 dollars only to get a quip for a character.

Fortnite's ecosystem is much better. There is zero gambling. You can farm vbucks in the coop mode daily, where i farmed almost 10000 vbucks there alone. You get more currency form the battle pass in fortnite than in Apex.

Apex just has a shitty progession system.

You also paid for save the world and you're one of few people I've seen that actually enjoy it lol. You get like 150 more vbucks or so than apex coins per battlepass.. not a big deal imo. The 7 dollar loot boxes for the event doesn't have quips. You could easily gamble a 20 dollar skin since it's only 24 event items. You still haven't told me how you propose they make their money, lol. Some people enjoy gambling when they don't have the money to throw out 20 bucks for each premium skin like you're forced to do in Fortnite. Nothing wrong with options. You can buy the skins normally as well.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Forum warrior? Cute

It's funny how the average user on era is not able to make actual argument and their only responses are: "CORPORATE BOOTLICKER" or "FORUM WARRIOR" when you don't agree with their "arguments" or points.
If having a discussion in a forum, makes you a forum warrior, so be it, i'm proud to be a forum warrior then.

i dunno. You keep on moving the goalposts tho; someone brings up the locked chars and you're like we are talking cosmetics. Someone points out that other games has a more giving lootbox system, then you're like 'look at how they do game progression tho'. Also while the free Octane is nice, you arent going to find someone that fetishizes gun skins particularly wih the design in apex since you pointed it out as a positive In light of the lack of boxds

What do you see Apex as compared to its peers as far as monetization x cosmetics is concerned, because from this side it looks like one of the worst offenders.

Oct 27, 2017
In-game challeneges only give you renows and XP, not packs.
The Alpha packs are randomly dropped, i don't remember alpha packs given for free by completing the daily or weekly challenges.

Every Siege event does give you two free packs. There's the standard one, and a special event one through Ubisoft Club- it is always a community based challenge (x amount of headshots, destroy x amount of whatever).

It's separate from your standard weekly challenges.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
i dunno. You keep on moving the goalposts tho; someone brings up the locked chars and you're like we are talking cosmetics. Someone points out that other games has a more giving lootbox system, then you're like 'look at how they do game progression tho'. Also while the free Octane is nice, you arent going to find someone that fetishizes gun skins particularly wih the design in apex since you pointed it out as a positive In light of the lack of boxds

What do you see Apex as compared to its peers as far as monetization x cosmetics is concerned, because from this side it looks like one of the worst offenders.

Apex currently has the closest thing to Fortnites f2p business model. Both have a 10 dollar battlepass. Both give you enough credits in the battlepass to purchase the next battlepass. Both offer premium skins in the battlepass. Both offer free loot with every event. Apex just gives you the option to gamble for it if you don't want to outright buy it. They have made a lot of improvements since season 1. I don't get all the hate. People are misinformed. You can argue fortnite has better quality skins but that has nothing to do with the business model.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
It's not even "only cosmetics". There are some weapon skins that give you an advantage having better iron sights (R-99/Wingman).
You don't get anything for winning. The tokens are pointless if you play a lot. I have 450h on this game + spent a couple of hundreds on the game.
I was only able to craft 2 Legendary Skins which cost 1200 Crafting Material. It's such a rip-off. I'm never gonna spend a dime on this game again.
I feel like most people complaining already have paid money on the game. People defending this game probably don't play at all or don't know that there is no way to get loot boxes after hitting the cap. Oh wait, I forgot, we're getting 2 loot ticks from the free BP in a duration of 3-4 Months. Really generous.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I stoped caring for cosmetics in this game after hitting max level. No lootboxes anymore for me. But it's 100% ok, the game is free and there's no pay to win. Put 200$ skins if you want.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Y'all out here defending this shit? I don't give a fuck if it's "just cosmetic" because honestly that argument means shit to me.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's not even "only cosmetics". There are some weapon skins that give you an advantage having better iron sights (R-99/Wingman).
You don't get anything for winning. The tokens are pointless if you play a lot. I have 450h on this game + spent a couple of hundreds on the game.
I was only able to craft 2 Legendary Skins which cost 1200 Crafting Material. It's such a rip-off. I'm never gonna spend a dime on this game again.
I feel like most people complaining already have paid money on the game. People defending this game probably don't play at all or don't know that there is no way to get loot boxes after hitting the cap. Oh wait, I forgot, we're getting 2 loot ticks from the free BP in a duration of 3-4 Months. Really generous.

This is somewhat true, but I know of no weapon, barr Mastiff where you cant add a sight (maybe the other drop weapons?), that have a crosshair that is better then a ingame item that you find.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
You mean heroes? Since all can be bought with gaining ingame currency, which I have done, sure there is a celing where it will take longer time, but how is that preying?
Just watch the clip posted above. Both heroes and cosmetics are locked with no way of unlocking the latter after certain point.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just watch the clip posted above. Both heroes and cosmetics are locked with no way of unlocking the latter after certain point.

From a gameplay point of view, it doesn't matter at all, since it won't give you any advantage whatsoever, just an extension of your e-penis that you need to show off.

So I don't agree, since you can do a 360 noscope, have 100 kills, die directly for not getting any loot with the base skin of Pathfinder as with the most sought of legendary skin.

EDIT: Regarding preying practices, there I can agree that they have stuff to improve on.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
From a gameplay point of view, it doesn't matter at all, since it won't give you any advantage whatsoever, just an extension of your e-penis that you need to show off.

So I don't agree, since you can do a 360 noscope, have 100 kills, die directly for not getting any loot with the base skin of Pathfinder as with the most sought of legendary skin.
That's just you then, cosmetics matter immensely for me and I'm not the only one. Being corporate puppet and defending these practices is malicious, publishers know they also matter.
I have around 200 hours logged into this game and with every decision they seem to make me regret the time spent with it.