• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That's just you then, cosmetics matter immensely for me and I'm not the only one. Being corporate puppet and defending these practices is malicious, publishers know they also matter.
I have around 200 hours logged into this game and with every decision they seem to make me regret the time spent with it.

Haha, corporate puppet, so just because I have a different opionion, I am a corporate puppet? Cmon, then you are a entitled child?

And please note the edit I made to the previous post.

And your opionion is also just you then, since cosmetics for me is just that, cosmetics, and I am not the only one.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Its insane that you dont keep unlocking packs for free after 100. Even every 5 levels would be fine.

Make players feel like its a good system and they might actually buy somethings. I love the game but Id never give money to a fucked system.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, corporate puppet, so just because I have a different opionion, I am a corporate puppet? Cmon, then you are a entitled child?

And please note the edit I made to the previous post.
Even you agree with their preying practices, then how about they reward players for you know, playing the goddamn game?
I'm not entitled to anything, just stop with the fucking with your playerbase and reward people for playing the game, I know they don't think highly of us "leeches" but locking certain elements of gameplay behind a paywall shouldn't be supported. Apex Legends in its current form is not a game I can recommend to my friends.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Even you agree with their preying practices, then how about they reward players for you know, playing the goddamn game?
I'm not entitled to anything, just stop with the fucking with your playerbase and reward people for playing the game, I know they don't think highly of us "leeches" but locking certain elements of gameplay behind a paywall shouldn't be supported. Apex Legends in its current form is not a game I can recommend to my friends.

Reward is playing a damn fine game with good gameplay and mechanics which is also free, not sure how one can see that "I don't have that skin, hence this game isn't rewarding" as a way of thinking, but as we have come to conclusion, you and me think differently.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
i dunno. You keep on moving the goalposts tho; someone brings up the locked chars and you're like we are talking cosmetics. Someone points out that other games has a more giving lootbox system, then you're like 'look at how they do game progression tho'. Also while the free Octane is nice, you arent going to find someone that fetishizes gun skins particularly wih the design in apex since you pointed it out as a positive In light of the lack of boxds

What do you see Apex as compared to its peers as far as monetization x cosmetics is concerned, because from this side it looks like one of the worst offenders.
Hang on... I'm sure you'll get a response, just gotta wait for...

FaithfulTeemingArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
That's just you then, cosmetics matter immensely for me and I'm not the only one. Being corporate puppet and defending these practices is malicious, publishers know they also matter.
I have around 200 hours logged into this game and with every decision they seem to make me regret the time spent with it.

Sooo, you're basically saying you want it all to be free through gameplay? If not, then what are you saying? What would make you happy?

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

If you don't like the direction this game is going then you should probably stop playing it now, instead of making the same comment after 300 hours, or 400 hours. ..

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, you're basically saying you want it all to be free through gameplay? If not, then what are you saying? What would make you happy?
There's so much wrong in the Apex monetization it's hard to even list things, complete rehaul would be the best but doesn't seem likely since they've found their victims who will continue to bleed money on the game.
That's not what I'm saying but in a perfect world everything would be free through gameplay, yes, but the game should have base cost then, that's how games have been and should strive to be. Since it's f2p things will fall apart differently though, maybe seasonal supporter pack with incentives to support the development costs, extra battle pass tiers etc. but that's another perfect world situation, they'd be leaving too much money on table so they just cannot hold themselves back.
For now, restoring progress for f2p players over level 100 would be a good start, restore free loot boxes (Ugh..) and give players meaningful way to even try to unlock the content you've got behind paywall.

If you don't like the direction this game is going then you should probably stop playing it now, instead of making the same comment after 300 hours, or 400 hours. ..
Oh, I did. I'm just coming back to check Season 3 and will probably quit soon after being disgusted by the games direction.
It's not completely a bad game, monetization though, locking gameplay behind paywall is something I cannot let slide, even if I could afford it it's not going to be worth my time and money as they'll just continue to ramp it up with each season as we've seen.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watch the clip posted above. Both heroes and cosmetics are locked with no way of unlocking the latter after certain point.
You're wrong. The important stuff can be unlocked with a currency that is earned infinitely. Anyone who plays Apex on a slightly regular basis will earn enough of the free currency to unlock characters pretty easily. I play the game a ton, but I have so much of the f2p currency that I could stop playing for the next 4+ seasons and still purchase all of the incoming characters. Most people definitely don't play as much Apex as me, but most people should still be able to afford one character per season.

calling cosmetic skins "gameplay" is laughable and nothing that Jim Sterling says changes that. Especially in a FREE TO PLAY game where you need to spend EXACTLY ZERO DOLLARS to install and play the game. Comparing a F2P game to a premium game in that regard is stupid.

Comparing fashion souls to a F2P game..... lol

Last edited:

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Pretty sure it was 1 free pack each day according to a leak a few days ago, so 14 free packs total.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
i will never understand why they charge so much for cosmetics in games. Make them cheap and i might actually spend money on your game. i'm not paying the same price as full price game for one skin. the pricing is absolutely ridiculous. Going free to play is an excuse to charge insane amounts for cosmetics these days it seems.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User warned: trolling
I'm pretty upset that EA/Apex isn't paying me an hourly wage to play their game. I mean cmon, you give me a free game and don't pay me to play it....what kind of world are we living in?!???? Let me know if this "hot take" is thread worthy and I will create it LOL

el oh el

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 1, 2019
I spent most of my mats before the news came out that they could be used to buy event skins. FML.

But 2,400 crafting mats for one legendary is steep. They only reason I had that much is because I changed regions to get mats instead of loot boxes from the battle pass. I doubt many have that much.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
There's so much wrong in the Apex monetization it's hard to even list things, complete rehaul would be the best but doesn't seem likely since they've found their victims who will continue to bleed money on the game.
That's not what I'm saying but in a perfect world everything would be free through gameplay, yes, but the game should have base cost then, that's how games have been and should strive to be. Since it's f2p things will fall apart differently though, maybe seasonal supporter pack with incentives to support the development costs, extra battle pass tiers etc. but that's another perfect world situation, they'd be leaving too much money on table so they just cannot hold themselves back.
For now, restoring progress for f2p players over level 100 would be a good start, restore free loot boxes (Ugh..) and give players meaningful way to even try to unlock the content you've got behind paywall.

Seems like you just hate f2p games in general. They have to make money somehow. Apex monetization isn't any worse than any other f2p BR game atm. Fortnite doesn't even offer loot at it's base level. If you don't purchase a battle pass you're sol with basic skins and nothing to look forward to besides balance and map changes. All skins need to be purchased or earned through an event. You have around 50 free loot boxes to start off with on apex. A brand new legend every 3 months. Some 7 dollar loot boxes is hardly something I'm going to be upset over because I can't earn it all for free.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I just miss the days of game+season pass. Apex may be a free game, but I've spent more money on it than any other game this gen. It's only been out since February too, right? Over a couple hundred bucks now with the 3 battlepasses, founders pack, and the skins I've bought outright. I haven't been pouring money into lootboxes either. It's that easy for some skin purchases to add up when they're $20 each.

It's made me really cool off on making more purchases outside of the battlepass, so I hope Respawn is happy with just that from now on.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, mate.

Seems like you just hate f2p games in general. They have to make money somehow. Apex monetization isn't any worse than any other f2p BR game atm. Fortnite doesn't even offer loot at it's base level. If you don't purchase a battle pass you're sol with basic skins and nothing to look forward to besides balance and map changes. All skins need to be purchased or earned through an event. You have around 50 free loot boxes to start off with on apex. A brand new legend every 3 months. Some 7 dollar loot boxes is hardly something I'm going to be upset over because I can't earn it all for free.
Oh, I wasn't applauding any of the other predatory games out there, you're right about that.
Apex starts out good, great even - but as you go further down the "Hook - Habit - Hobby" line they tighten the rope around your neck constantly, this is their plan, and it's well documented one too.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I was so against their system last season but this seems fine, no free lootbox sucks but you can get stuff by playing instead

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, mate.

Oh, I wasn't applauding any of the other predatory games out there, you're right about that.
Apex starts out good, great even - but as you go further down the "Hook - Habit - Hobby" line they tighten the rope around your neck constantly, this is their plan, and it's well documented one too.
How is directly exchanging money for a skin "predatory"? You can make this argument with loot boxes and I agree with you, but paying money for a skin is not predatory.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it was 1 free pack each day according to a leak a few days ago, so 14 free packs total.
There is a post in the reddit thread about that:
That one free pack per day was from the event's code leak, and the uploader said take it with a grain of salt because he's unsure if he was reading it right and code is always subject to change

Earlier today before EA announced this, that code has been removed and he clarified there would be no free pack per day based off that change/update
EA gonna EA. I've said it many times but I really dislike the f2p aspects of this game but the actual core gameplay is fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty upset that EA/Apex isn't paying me an hourly wage to play their game. I mean cmon, you give me a free game and don't pay me to play it....what kind of world are we living in?!???? Let me know if this "hot take" is thread worthy and I will create it LOL
Pretty reasonable take tbh. I wouldn't play Apex for free either.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
wont buy the season pass for apex legend or any skins that can't be bought by crafting. Season Pass 2 felt more like a job than a game took all the fun from it. I got to level 94 of the battle pass and said I'm done with it period going to give destiny a go see if it give me a better experience.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I can play the entire game for free forever and not be locked out of any gameplay content.
Its just cosmetics, everyone relax! I'm super excited for the game mode. :D

Oct 25, 2017
wont buy the season pass for apex legend or any skins that can't be bought by crafting. Season Pass 2 felt more like a job than a game took all the fun from it. I got to level 94 of the battle pass and said I'm done with it period going to give destiny a go see if it give me a better experience.
All battle passes to me feel like a chore/work at this point. I didn't buy the BP for Apex this season but tried to see how easy it is to do the challenges (I suck at this game not gonna lie lol) and I've done all week 1 challenges except the deal 750+ dmg in a single match one so far and it's taken quite a while for me to do them...probably a few days at least. I'm currently at lvl 17 of the BP. I can't even do some of the dailies cause I haven't unlocked all the characters yet. For reference I can complete all the Fortnite weekly challenges in a few hours.

Oct 27, 2017
I can play the entire game for free forever and not be locked out of any gameplay content.
Its just cosmetics, everyone relax! I'm super excited for the game mode. :D

The problem is they are below the benchmark of how this stuff is supposed to work. Every game let's you at least slowly gather cosmetics to give you some kind of incentive. But here the game is purposefully stripped of those or any other kind of metagame with the sole reason of selling you those overpriced MTX.
It makes the game a lesser version of what it could be, even if it's just cosmetics.

And to think that Titanfall 2 from the very same people was once the poster child of how to do cosmetic DLC.

1nfinite

Oct 15, 2019
I'm talking about EVENTS.

You get one free lootbox if you log-in and if you want a skins you either SPEND MONEY for having a chance to get the skin you want or keep playing for hours and if you are lucky you will find your 3000 season skin.
And events skins are 3000, when legendaries are 1000.

Previous event, and people were mad and upset about the old system.
Now they are giving you a direct purchase if you want a skin, expecting free lootboxes is unresonable.
Every loot box you get during an Overwatch event is an event loot box and has at least one guaranteed item from that event. If you're like me, you have most every cosmetic by now so all I get are event items. You also sound like a stuck up little kid leading in to whatthe companies want you to think.