• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Listen, I'm about as happy for a successful F2P game to land as anyone. But the notion that $60 games are dead is laughable.

I'll temper my comment a little, and change 'dead' to 'dying'.

You just have to look at Japan though. That was an incredibly successful gaming scene and when I see the Media Create numbers, 8 out of 10 titles are from Nintendo and its the same titles every week.

In the west, how many third party $60 games are there? Bethesda's been disappointed by their last few titles. Perhaps its just Ubisoft, EA that can keep churning out their evergreen titles in FIFA and AC. But anything that is not a 'big' franchise by now or isn't from a reputable studio, is a BIG risk at $60.

Also this doesn't have much to do with Apex Legends, so we should get back to talking about that.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You just have to look at Japan though. That was an incredibly successful gaming scene and when I see the Media Create numbers, 8 out of 10 titles are from Nintendo and its the same titles every week.

In the west, how many third party $60 games are there? Bethesda's been disappointed by their last few titles. Perhaps its just Ubisoft, EA that can keep churning out their evergreen titles in FIFA and AC. But anything that is not a 'big' franchise by now or isn't from a reputable studio, is a BIG risk at $60.

Also this doesn't have much to do with Apex Legends, so we should get back to talking about that.

I agree that a $60 title is a risk if you're not established or working with a successful franchise. But I'm not sure F2P is anything less riskier - there are numerous fails in that space.
I also think leaning on one market to determine an overall market trend is shallow at best. The Nintendo heavy trend in Japan is more to do with the Switch than game pricing.

Agree that this is off topic though. I'm done!

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018

The bestsellers are on Switch because Japan loves portable consoles. New titles can also sell for 70-80USD. Each.

The idea that full-priced retail titles don't sell well in Japan is ridiculous. It's the same country that still relies on physical movie/music sales, and still has movie rental places. Japan is somewhere that full-priced retail is still king. Go into big electronics stores in Japan and you'll find a huge second-hand market. Physical and full-price release is alive and well over there.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I agree that a $60 title is a risk if you're not established or working with a successful franchise. But I'm not sure F2P is anything less riskier - there are numerous fails in that space.
I also think leaning on one market to determine an overall market trend is shallow at best. The Nintendo heavy trend in Japan is more to do with the Switch than game pricing.

Agree that this is off topic though. I'm done!
The core issue is the falling ARPU. I bet a lot of those 25M players haven't spent a cent. It's going to be hard to persuade them to spend $60 on many things, especially shooters. So an overall falling ARPU plus rising costs to make a one-and-done AAA SP game, means a lot of risk. It's less risk for the first parties btw, because they collect 100% of the $60 from a digital sale, whereas third party publishers only get $42. Also first parties have the cushion of selling paywall MP subs, and collecting 30% of all MTX sold on the store by any other publisher.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They basically stole Blackout's lunch by making a better version of it that's free, standalone, won't be replaced in a year when the next Call of Duty comes out, and has the same quality-of-life features plus more.

Not that I mind. Get fucked, Activision.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ping system is crazy good. It's a BR that actually plays well with randos, which is a first. I mean it's honestly a first for basically any online mp shooter.

People are also just using mics too which is pretty rare too, usually everyone just sticks on discord. Almost reminds me of og Xbox glory days.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Worst is strong, but I feel whatever uniqueness it had from PUBG and Fortnite is gone now with this game. It's nestled in a fully priced CoD on top of that on consoles. I don't see it having the staying power.

I don't see it having staying power, especially if next years COD has a BR.

But I think Blackout is miles better than PUBG and I think there's a debate to be had between the two.

Fortnite is too unique to be compared to other BRs imo.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Couldn't be more deserving. Way to go Vince. Dude builds a great series for EA goes to activision to create a blockbuster for them, then comes back to EA and has his next IP that had tons of potential sent to die. Great to see him get another amazing franchise up and running.

EA screwed him over multiple times, Medal of Honor and titanfall. They better do some sucking now that he has created a golden goose for the studio. The money this game is about to rake in will dwarf battlefront and battlefield. Prob combined

Not sure if serious. And Respawn sent Titanfall 2 out to die, not EA btw

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Yeah I'm loving it and I'm not a big BR fan. I love Titanfall though, and this map is just awesome. Gunplay feels fantastic. Loving the subtle and effective communication tools in this too. Caustic my dude

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Congrats to Respawn on the successful launch and for making a great game.

Time will tell how well the community sticks around a month out as well as what kind of approach Respawn takes with updating the game. I honestly believe part of the reason why Fortnite has gotten so big and continues to stay relevant is the fact that are constantly releasing a new update and items to the game on a weekly basis. Time will tell but I'll definitely be playing!

kurashikane

Feb 4, 2019
Great news, props to Respawn. I've been a fan of their work since modern warfare and Apex is the first BR I had fun with. Seriously considering buying the battle bass to support them even further.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Been thinking of jumping in - but I'm pretty bad at FPS shooters these days. And being BR themed, seems like chances of not winning a game is pretty high?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm real happy for Respawn, they gambled but it paid off. Titanfall 2 was fantastic and deserved more love, and I didn't think I'd end up liking a squad-only BR but it's won me over big time, got the founder's pack and everything. Can't wait to see what's in store for it.

Waning player population, slow updates, still suffers from major bugs, the UI is a catastrophe, and they do things like add paint cans that have people playing to collect those instead of actually play. I like Blackout but it's getting to be a pain to find matches reliably on PC anymore, and it's pretty hard to justify the state it's in at this point in its release.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Props to the engineers, I've not heard of significant tech problems so their ability to scale the available servers depending on the amount of players must be mighty impressive.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I'm happy for Respawn, this was clearly a good decision to move up from a traditional release. Others will follow.

EA gonna make bank and The GaMeRs RIsE UP crowd will cry.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
What a launch, amazing. The most fun I've had with a game in a very very long time.

Gotta imagine this is taking away lots of players especially from CoD.
I still think Pubg and Fortnite will chug along in current form, Fortnite because it's just that huge and on all platforms and Pubg since it still hasa pretty big dediceated fan share and it still feels it has a bit of uniqueness to it with how the game feels to play.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Props to the engineers, I've not heard of significant tech problems so their ability to scale the available servers depending on the amount of players must be mighty impressive.
This is using Azure, thats why it had such a smooth launch.

Microsoft making also bank on this game.

Nov 18, 2017
As a teacher at a school that has pupil.computers. I despise Fortnite and what it have done.

I think it's a positive fad and great for kids to have something new they can share a communal passion for - a game that encourages social interaction, teamwork, construction and tactics as much as aggression.

Fortnite's biggest contributions are the popularising the battle pass model with non-competitive challenges, and social interaction with pop culture crossover.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Apex has basically made me stop playing Blackout... which sucks because I paid $35 digital for it... I guess there is traditional cod mp and zombies.

People who are saying Blackout should go F2P are correct. Apex shows you can make a damn good standalone F2P BR first person shooter.

I bought BLOPS 4 for Blackout mainly but ended up playing and enjoying just regular TDM all the time, only played Blackout a couple of times and the times I wanted to jump in it, the match making was down or it took 15 minutes before finding someone and left it at that.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Deserved. First BR game that's proper hooked me. There's just something about it. The UI is inspired, the map design is great and the gunplay feels fantastic.