• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Shroud is having a second wind in popularity. The guy is an absolute beast and deserves to be the king of Twitch right now.

Since it is now popular, there are already "Oh noes the SJWs" and "Oh noes the representation" videos going up on YouTube. Kinda pathetic, just play the game.

I'm glad. How many games can let you play as a Polynesian man, let alone a gay Polynesian man? Or a non-binary character? For many players this might be their first experience of non-binary gender identities.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's ridiculous after just 1 week. Can't wait to see how fast it continues to grow. Delighted for respawn.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if 343 is rethinking their stance on a Halo BR. It's not too late. There's enough room for more BR.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is the appeal of Apex compared to other Battle Royales?

Only speaking from my personal perspective, but to briefly describe why I prefer Apex;

Fortnite gunplay never felt as satisfying to me, and I never warmed to either the building system or the art style. It just seemed like it was too much fanfare and not enough focus on the raw tactility and the visceral nature of weaponry.

PUBG and H1Z1 are just too unpolished and janky for my liking. The visuals are poor, the animations a bit weak. They simply lack quality of life options, polish and fluidity.

Blackout is a bit too much like more COD (which I've kind of exhausted), and didn't do enough to truly seperate it, make it unique or stand out. The visuals and art direction are a bit meh, I'm not keen on perks being part of loot, nor do I like the use of vehicles etc either.

Then comes Apex Legends. To me the actual gunplay feels more slick, visceral and punchy than some or all of the others. The characters, the map, visuals/art, quality of life features, unique elements, unique weapons etc just make it stand out more and feel cooler.

I absolutely love the ping system. It is one of the coolest features ever in a BR game, and totally changes the dynamics and level of strategy and indirect communications, even with people who don't have a mic. Then there's the cool legends and all their unique abilities that you get from the get go, which adds gameplay diversity, depth, more team play reward, and further strategy. Plus little things like the zip wire boosters, zip line drop ships, general fluidity of movement, controls, climbing, sliding, the overall designs and look of things, the weapon balance etc. It's altogether just really fluid, polished and satisfying, and there's enough unique elements to seperate it whilst still remaining pretty grounded.

Mind you, I don't know how much staying power it'll have for me. Only time will tell, but so far I've been hooked.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is my most played game this year. I'm already 35 dollars in, bring me the fucking battle pass.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
See certain people in here celebrating Apex's success who crawl all over Fortnite threads criticising its microtransactions. Guess they don't have a problem with the full on lootboxes in Apex then since they enjoy the game. Shows their true purposes really.

Fortnite will still probably keep the kids because I think apex skill ceiling is alot higher then fortnites, but I am glad it could potentially mean less success for fortnite .

This is one of the most clueless things I've read in this thread. Fortnite's skill ceiling is insanely high because of the building. Hell I'd even wager that part of the reason Apex is more popular on this forum than Fortnite is because of the smaller skill gap.

Well done to Respawn though. It's certainly the BR with the best feeling shooting.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PUBG hasn't been the game for a while and the fact it has 200,000 concurrent players means jack shit when COD in its worst years could hold double that in one console. PUBGs console versions are dogshit and the game doesn't have the clout it used to have so at this point the game is slowly dying. Look at Twitch numbers which matters a lot more then some of you are willing to admit and you'll how much more viewers fortnite gets.
Twitch numbers mattering more than people actually playing the game is one of the most nonsense things I've read on this forum

And the 200k number is PC only when the game has a healthy console base as well as a monster mobile base. Also COD in it's worse years was still incredibly successful, your barometer for failure is way, way off

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See certain people in here celebrating Apex's success who crawl all over Fortnite threads criticising its microtransactions. Guess they don't have a problem with the full on lootboxes in Apex then since they enjoy the game. Shows their true purposes really.

Not going to lie, that is the uglier side of things that does make me feel a bit dirty lol. The microtransactions are predatory and outrageously bad value. It's basically $20 for certain shitty skins that in some cases barely change the actual model, and instead are mostly just a paint job. Then there's the fact that after a certain level you stop getting packs every level up, which really makes things super grindy and unfair. And if you were to buy 10 packs for $10, there's no guarantee you'd even get many good things or much crafting material. This loot box shit needs to end.

These are things that are certainly hampering the experience somewhat, but at the end of the day the core gameplay is just super fun without me having yet spent any real money (though if it's good value/content I plan to get the Season pass).

We have to wait for the Season pass or whatever to see what sort of value or how predatory this really is or isn't or will or won't be.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I have a feeling the game is going to be nuts the week the battle pass launches.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's at 50 million by then.
Oh totally. Plus in my opinion this game is well deserved of my hard earned money and I never spend a dime on microtransactions. Respawn has totally earned my money though, and I imagine a lot of other people's money as well.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn must be ecstatic beyond belief.

I only played one match over the weekend but the game felt pretty damn solid and fun. If the games gets quality updates (maps/game modes) this game will stick around for a hell of a long time.

Nov 8, 2017
25,000,001 when I give it a spin later this week!

I haven't played any BR more than once or twice, but we'll see what this offers.

Good for Respawn.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy, but the game is darn near perfect, and can make PUBG, COD, Destiny, Overwatch, and Fortnite players feel at home.

H1 players, y'all are crazy psychos who will stay there forever, and that's cool :)

And I don't get people complaining about microtransactions in a game that is perfectly playable for free, and even gives you stuff, and enough currency to buy the legends pretty easily. If you want more games to go this route, perhaps drop a tenner their way eventually and other companies will continue this string of killer f2p games.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the most clueless things I've read in this thread. Fortnite's skill ceiling is insanely high because of the building. Hell I'd even wager that part of the reason Apex is more popular on this forum than Fortnite is because of the smaller skill gap.

Well done to Respawn though. It's certainly the BR with the best feeling shooting.
full on cosmetic loot boxes with publicized drop rates, no dupes and guaranteed legendary after a set # of boxes (30 i believe?) is a perfectly fine monetization strategy for a F2P game

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Not going to lie, that is the uglier side of things that does make me feel a bit dirty lol. The microtransactions are predatory and outrageously bad value. It's basically $20 for certain shitty skins that in some cases barely change the actual model, and instead are mostly just a paint job. Then there's the fact that after a certain level you stop getting packs every level up, which really makes things super grindy and unfair. And if you were to buy 10 packs for $10, there's no guarantee you'd even get many good things or much crafting material. This loot box shit needs to end.

These are things that are certainly hampering the experience somewhat, but at the end of the day the core gameplay is just super fun without me having yet spent any real money (though if it's good value/content I plan to get the Season pass).

We have to wait for the Season pass or whatever to see what sort of value or how predatory this really is or isn't or will or won't be.

See, that excuse would never fly around here when it comes to other games. Hell, the thread would have already been derailed with microtransaction discussions.

I dislike lootboxes as much as the next guy, but my problem is with the hypocrisy I'm seeing here around Apex. They're willing to push aside their previous grandstanding when it comes to a game they enjoy playing themselves. How do you expect to be taken seriously next time you want to protest lootboxes by using the plight of some other unfortunate addict..

full on cosmetic loot boxes with publicized drop rates, no dupes and guaranteed legendary after a set # of boxes is a perfectly fine monetization strategy for a F2P game

Wasn't the whole problem with lootboxes supposed to be about preying on gambling tendencies? The F2P thing doesn't make any difference to that.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Twitch numbers mattering more than people actually playing the game is one of the most nonsense things I've read on this forum.

It does matter a lot though, especially in this early stage. Seeing Apex dominate Twitch charts is snowballing the game's word of mouth and getting thousands of people to try it out.

YouTube channels that would just post Fortnite clips have switched to Apex. Content creators are scrambling to capture the new audience.

Right now I'd say the buzz around the game is more valuable than player counts because if the buzz stopped, so would growth.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'm glad. How many games can let you play as a Polynesian man, let alone a gay Polynesian man? Or a non-binary character? For many players this might be their first experience of non-binary gender identities.

I can't name one game with a Polynesian man so it's cool to have him in. I think Nier had a non binary, but I'm not 100% on it. Either way, it's nice they're in and it's even better that a few outspoken are having a tantrum about it. Let them, while they're throwing a hissy fit, everyone else is enjoying the game.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It does matter a lot though, especially in this early stage. Seeing Apex dominate Twitch charts is snowballing the game's word of mouth and getting thousands of people to try it out.

YouTube channels that would just post Fortnite clips have switched to Apex. Content creators are scrambling to capture the new audience.

Right now I'd say the buzz around the game is more valuable than player counts because if the buzz stopped, so would growth.
It matters, but it's not the most important metric. When you have lower Twitch numbers but still a large and active userbase, the userbase is a better indicator of the life of a game

I'm also not saying Apex isn't really popular, I'm saying the idea that PUBG is dying or dead and Apex's popularity means Fortnite will follow it are ridiculous

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Up and up and up.

Really cool to see a cold launch explode like this. I don't believe anything high profile has happened quite like this with games until now. First game since Street Fighter 4 to get most of my friends playing all at once like this.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
That is actually a good point. PUBG and Fortnite still are there own thing and will always have interest. Blackout on the other hand really doesn't have a place in this battle anymore. It is by far the worst of all 3. It has it's sales though so I doubt Activision even cares
Yup, it might have well not exist. I'm sure CoD BO4 will show to have fallen off a cliff starting this month.

Also, Fortnite is fine, but it would be interesting to see a different present where they actually kept up on Save The World, making it F2P, while also adding custom modes of the BR part. Instead, they spent too much resources changing the meta of the BR mode every other week, when they had all the money to do way more.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If a battle pass includes all the characters I'll be tempted. It's the only thing I dislike about this game currently, a hero shooter with heroes being locked away if you don't pay for them.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Every time they announce the type of news makes the announcement of the game even more hilarious where people were so pessimistic when we barely even knew a single thing about it. I think it was pretty smart of them to launch the way they did. Trying the game out immediately killed most of the negativity or perceptions people may had.

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I can't play shooters for shit but even I'm having a great time with Apex. I had a Player fully carry me in one match and it was exhilarating how emphasised the team dynamic was. Well done Respawn and great to see everyone celebrating the wins in the industry!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also, Fortnite is fine, but it would be interesting to see a different present where they actually kept up on Save The World, making it F2P, while also adding custom modes of the BR part. Instead, they spent too much resources changing the meta of the BR mode every other week, when they had all the money to do way more.
Um what? They very frequently updated are. Every week there would be patch notes included for those changes too. And they release new custom modes every week?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Twitch numbers mattering more than people actually playing the game is one of the most nonsense things I've read on this forum
reading comprehension? I didn't say that.

And the 200k number is PC only when the game has a healthy console base as well as a monster mobile base. Also COD in it's worse years was still incredibly successful, your barometer for failure is way, way off
COD dropped in its worst due to fatigue over the course of a 15 year legacy while PUBG has entered that stage in 1 year. It's not that complicated to see that game on PC is dying. The fact that the game has dropped off so much in one year and also the damage control bluepoint has tried to do shows that the game isn't in a healthy course.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 2 matches of Overwatch ever in my life.
I've played 0 matches of Fortnite ever in my life.
I've played 0 matches of PUBG ever in my life.

Once I get home from work travel.... I think I want to try this out.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Um what? They very frequently updated are. Every week there would be patch notes included for those changes too. And they release new custom modes every week?
No, I mean the constant delays to make Save The World free, and also, custom modes as in the main battle-royale mode but with the option to change gameplay options for your own matches (no building, more mats, etc).

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
It matters, but it's not the most important metric. When you have lower Twitch numbers but still a large and active userbase, the userbase is a better indicator of the life of a game

I'm also not saying Apex isn't really popular, I'm saying the idea that PUBG is dying or dead and Apex's popularity means Fortnite will follow it are ridiculous

I don't think these games are dying,but my guess is that their growth slows down by a huge margin. At least for now.

I think there is a place for all three,as they are going for different things.(sorry blackout)

Apr 8, 2018
Congrats to Respawn. Very well deserved.

Curious to see how much they've made on microtransactions so far. I've heard someone say they dropped $100 on the game already.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
For some reason I missed this news (probably by playing the whole last week just this game). This is just bananas. Respawn you did good.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
See, that excuse would never fly around here when it comes to other games. Hell, the thread would have already been derailed with microtransaction discussions.

I dislike lootboxes as much as the next guy, but my problem is with the hypocrisy I'm seeing here around Apex.

Not me. Never bought a lootbox or any kind of microtransaction and never will. I like Apex. It's a damn good game and I would have bought it if it hadn't been free, but there is no way in hell I'm going to contribute to EA's predatory bullshit.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Happy for them as it truly is a great game. Real addicting so far.

Really hope their Battle Pass is up to snuff though. That, along with constant updates will make or break the game