• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They basically stole Blackout's lunch by making a better version of it that's free, standalone, won't be replaced in a year when the next Call of Duty comes out, and has the same quality-of-life features plus more.

Not that I mind. Get fucked, Activision.
The fact I can actually hear whats happening in this game alone makes it better than Blackout, which had the worst sound design of any BR game Ive played.

I don't see it having staying power, especially if next years COD has a BR.

But I think Blackout is miles better than PUBG and I think there's a debate to be had between the two.

Fortnite is too unique to be compared to other BRs imo.
Blackouts numbers have been dropping well before thie game came out. And unlike this iteration, the uniqueness of a BR mode in cod will be gone.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
HaaDirH.jpg

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So happy Respawn has a hit on their hands, Apex is super fun and has so many awesome QoL changes. The fact it kinda came out of nowhere without a beta etc yet still feels more polished than PUBG ever has is even more amazing

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Im very happy for Respawn, but I ain't gonna lie, I've been taking pleasure in EA's failure of recent (bit of schadenfreude), BF,SW, Belgium Fifa etc. They needed a life lesson that not everything they put out can just be manipulated to their greed. Luckily theres nothing too shady about Apex.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
As others have said, super happy for Respawn's sake that deserve this so much. This is also the first BR game I've enjoyed.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
The fact I can actually hear whats happening in this game alone makes it better than Blackout, which had the worst sound design of any BR game Ive played.

Blackouts numbers have been dropping well before thie game came out. And unlike this iteration, the uniqueness of a BR mode in cod will be gone.

I don't care about the numbers. I'm talking about the actual quality of the BR. I don't think PUBG is definitively better than Blackout like the OP suggested

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
The game is fucking amazing to play, it feels so good on PC. I was thinking about it today and it reminds me of how much fun I had playing Quake 3 Arena back in the day.

I'm looking forward to see how they evolve and improve this game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a positive fad and great for kids to have something new they can share a communal passion for - a game that encourages social interaction, teamwork, construction and tactics as much as aggression.

Fortnite's biggest contributions are the popularising the battle pass model with non-competitive challenges, and social interaction with pop culture crossover.

But at the same time it's extremely predatory and financially detrimental, and has outrageously priced microtransactions. There are a so many kids who have spent so much of their gift money or allowances etc on these ridiculously overpriced or fleeting and largely pointless cosmetics, loot boxes etc, in place of other things that could have given them so much more impact, lasting reward, meaningful use or function and so on.

Hell I spoke to one 12 year old the other day who claimed he'd spent £250 of his gift money on network gift cards to spend on Fortnite, predominantly on cosmetics, many skins of which he'd barely even used. His mum was none the wiser, since he'd convinced her he was spending his money on new gaming content, and as a non gamer, new characters, maps, weapons, gameplay etc to her sounds like a lot more than just cosmetics.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane success, EA and Respawn hit all the right notes here. The game is creative, tons of fun, stylish, polished, looks good enough, is generally smooth (bar the server issues, but with 2m+ players on at the same time I'm not surprised)... I played a lot of BR so far over a variety of games, but first of all none launched initially in such a good shape (not even Blackout, and especially not PUBG, The Culling 2, etc. which were beyond janky), and frankly none had these production values at any point. I've been waiting for the ultimate combination. PUBG is tactical but janky. Fortnite gets frequent updates and is varied but the shooting is trash and the challenges take most players' focus away, ruining the matches. Blackout was the best attempt at mixing it all so far but it's inconsistent and the updates are slow. Apex Legends has the chance to be the place-to-go for a BR that plays good, feels good, looks good, and is actually rather unique at being so. Who would have though that Respawn was going to win me over like that after the not-so-hot multiplayer of Titanfall 2?

Extremely deserved success, and proves the market can handle another BR behemoth. Hopefully they can keep up with the updates and the gameplay additions without ruining the game, and I really hope to see this game's additions to the formula (the pinging, the auto-management of attachments, etc.) ending up in other BRs if not in other co-op shooters in general.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG hasn't been the game for a while and the fact it has 200,000 concurrent players means jack shit when COD in its worst years could hold double that in one console. PUBGs console versions are dogshit and the game doesn't have the clout it used to have so at this point the game is slowly dying. Look at Twitch numbers which matters a lot more then some of you are willing to admit and you'll how much more viewers fortnite gets.
You seem to very confused.
PUBG has 800k peak concurrent players daily. The screenshot you saw was taken when most of the userbase is asleep.
It's the most popular BR game in existence and the one with the most players both overall and concurrently when you add up every version. CoD will never reach that number of players. Funnily enough, Blackout is the one dying(on PC at least) and it hasn't exactly been slow at it either.
Twitch numbers? ROFLMAO. Barely anyone watches Minecraft streams these days but that didn't stop Minecraft from having more monthly users than Fortnite.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Solo queue when? Forcing to play with others on a team seems counter productive to these types of games.

Nov 18, 2017
But at the same time it's extremely predatory and financially detrimental, and has outrageously priced microtransactions. There are a so many kids who have spent so much of their gift money or allowances etc on these ridiculously overpriced or fleeting and largely pointless cosmetics, loot boxes etc, in place of other things that could have given them so much more impact, lasting reward, meaningful use or function and so on.

Hell I spoke to one 12 year old the other day who claimed he'd spent £250 of his gift money on network gift cards to spend on Fortnite, predominantly on cosmetics, many skins of which he'd barely even used. His mum was none the wiser, since he'd convinced her he was spending his money on new gaming content, and as a non gamer, new characters, maps, weapons, gameplay etc to her sounds like a lot more than just cosmetics.

The toy industry as a whole is predatory, any product marketed at children can be regarded in this way. I don't think the cosmetics are any more fleeting and pointless as collecting stickers/cards/figures. It's up to parents to teach their kids to be aware of what their limits are with regards monetary transactions.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
2temi6.jpg

Won my first game last night and it was quite the rush. Fighting with that last squad and the ring is the size of a bathmat.

None of the other BR games have even remotely interested me. I dunno if its the ping system, the small squad co-op, gunplay or what, but this game is clicking with me in a big way. And I des-PISE PvP.

Well done Respawn. Great to see them get that success (and totes not hoping for Titanfall 3... BT!)

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect the game to be this much fun actually. It came out of nowhere and my friends and me just queue up almost every night.

Excited to see how this'll play out. The team thing and gunplay will prolly keep me hooked.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ok nice. I imagine they have some fun skins for the heros. The fortnite inspired monetization model really is a winner.

I guess lootboxes are great for printing cash to accounts of publishers, but hardly good model for gamers as getting skin you want may end up costing hundreds. E.g. streamer Sacriel dropped 60£ on APEX lootboxes just to get skin he wanted and he couldn't "craft" it as game seems to be extremely stingy with freemium currency that is used to "craft" / purchase skins.

I know you get box / level, but if there is that one skin you want quickly it easily comes with steep price.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I guess lootboxes are great for printing cash to accounts of publishers, but hardly good model for gamers as getting skin you want may end up costing hundreds. E.g. streamer Sacriel dropped 60£ on APEX lootboxes just to get skin he wanted and he couldn't "craft" it as game seems to be extremely stingy with freemium currency that is used to "craft" / purchase skins.

I know you get box / level, but if there is that one skin you want quickly it easily comes with steep price.
Oh i didn't realize they had rng lootboxes. I thought they were copying the fortnite model completely, which doesn't have lootboxes in the BR mode.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved! Truly the best BR experience and its not even close.
They do need to up their loot game if they want to reach fortnite's level of profit. The skins are all pretty mediocre

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The toy industry as a whole is predatory, any product marketed at children can be regarded in this way. I don't think the cosmetics are any more fleeting and pointless as collecting stickers/cards/figures. It's up to parents to teach their kids to be aware of what their limits are with regards monetary transactions.

That isn't even in the same stratosphere of predatory, at least not toys. There's no luck based investment in to what has underpinnings of slot machine based gambling, and you actually get something lasting, solid and tactile. With respect to card packs and stickers, to that I'd just say whilst it is worse than toys, it is also still not as predatory as gaming loot boxes etc, because not only are they generally cheaper, but you can also trade cards, stickers and so on with friends, relatives, school mates etc, unlike in these games.

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
God damn, this thing is an beast I but Wilson wishes it came out like 2-3 weeks ago so he could boast about during the earnings call.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
All ive been thinking since this news broke is how many man hours were spent getting emergency servers online to handle the load.

Ive been playing at least 2 hours a day since release, and have obly experienced server issues twice. Incredible considering the way it was released.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Amazing how much it has knocked off fortnite in terms of twitch views. Fortnite is massively down whilst apex is pulling huge numbers. This has happened before for a day or 2 but not for this long or this extent. Game is a crazy success.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
All ive been thinking since this news broke is how many man hours were spent getting emergency servers online to handle the load.

Ive been playing at least 2 hours a day since release, and have obly experienced server issues twice. Incredible considering the way it was released.

Power of the cloud, probably. Seriously, I'd also like some insight on their infrastructure.