• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
As someone who (right now) has zero interest or knowledge about BR games, what makes this game special, or what makes it better than other BR games?

Good for Respawn though, TF2 is my Shooter of the gen right now, I hope they get a lot of leeway from EA after this.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Man the vitriol for Fortnite is quite hyperbolic around here.

Guys, it's just a game. Calm down.

And while I'm here, I really don't get people's hatred for the shooting in Fortnite. You've got shotguns that are really effective at close range, but that's it. Pistols which are pretty accurate at all ranges but aren't very strong. ARs that are good at medium range but terrible at far range. SMGs which allow you to spray an enemy rather accurately but not very strongly and then snipers which are accurate (but lose precision at really long ranges) and deadly but slow to reload.

I mean, I don't really see the problem. There's a layer of strategy to the gunplay that's unlike any other shooter and people complaining about bloom seem to not understand this.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Man the vitriol for Fortnite is quite hyperbolic around here.

Guys, it's just a game. Calm down.

And while I'm here, I really don't get people's hatred for the shooting in Fortnite. You've got shotguns that are really effective at close range, but that's it. Pistols which are pretty accurate at all ranges but aren't very strong. ARs that are good at medium range but terrible at far range. SMGs which allow you to spray an enemy rather accurately but not very strongly and then snipers which are accurate (but lose precision at really long ranges) and deadly but slow to reload.

I mean, I don't really see the problem. There's a layer of strategy to the gunplay that's unlike any other shooter and people complaining about bloom seem to not understand this.
Some have a hate boner for epic due to their store and it directly translates to fortnite

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Making people squad up (coupled with the awesome ping system) might be the best decision they made with the game. I would have never used squads and when you get a good team it's so good.

Nov 18, 2017
That isn't even in the same stratosphere of predatory, at least not toys. There's no luck based investment in to what has underpinnings of slot machine based gambling, and you actually get something lasting, solid and tactile. With respect to card packs and stickers, to that I'd just say whilst it is worse than toys, it is also still not as predatory as gaming loot boxes etc, because not only are they generally cheaper, but you can also trade cards, stickers and so on with friends, relatives, school mates etc, unlike in these games.

There are no loot boxes in Fortnite.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Making people squad up (coupled with the awesome ping system) might be the best decision they made with the game. I would have never used squads and when you get a good team it's so good.

Definitely. I really think this game isn't meant to be played in solo mode. Worst case scenario, your team will all spread out and die and you'll be alone :P

Beef

Oct 27, 2017
TX
Just sitting over here praying EA doesn't give them the Visceral treatment. Respawn really deserves this, kudos to them.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it having staying power, especially if next years COD has a BR.

But I think Blackout is miles better than PUBG and I think there's a debate to be had between the two.

Fortnite is too unique to be compared to other BRs imo.
There's a reason PUBG happily retains a healthy player base. It scratches an itch none of the others can, so it's not going anywhere either.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been waiting for a battle royal game that Id actually considering playing on a regular basis and investing money in for cosmetics. this is that game. holy shit it is so much fun to play

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I've only played it for a few hours up till now but from my brief experience with it it's a very solid game. The gunplay feels very smooth and isn't clunky or jerky which I feel is what PUBG and Fortnite lack.

Congratulations on putting out a great game!

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unfair to compare it to Fortnite because Apex just got started while Fortnite had almost 2 years. It took Fortnite a while to get going whereas Apex blew up almost instantly. 10m comcurrent is a tough ask but if there's 1 studio who truly knows what gamers want it's Respawn. Gameplay matters most and I trust they will never mess up there.

I bet people at Epic are sweating at this rate. Apex is rising fast and there's no stopping this train. A lot of people who play Fortnite are playing Apex too and more Apex than Fortnite. Now Respawn needs to support the game like crazy, evolve. Season Pass in march damn same time as Fortnite... THIS GONNA BE FUN.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
You know, as little interest as I have in most shooters incl. the battle royale games, I simply like how a good game can be released without months or years of marketing buzz and do extremely well because it's... good (and free to play and therefore try out).

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Lol yeah I found that funny as well. I guess Fortnite is both simultaneously a 'kids game' and one that requires too many build skills.

I guess it's the art style that makes them dismiss it as an easy game (I've been guilty of similar things too).

But then when they come back and complain about getting castles built on top of them it's funny that they double down on the "kid's game".

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When this comes out for mobile it's gonna be insane.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just sitting over here praying EA doesn't give them the Visceral treatment. Respawn really deserves this, kudos to them.
People keep saying this

Visceral never made money - ever

Respawn is going to make more money in the next few weeks than Visceral made in their entire history

They are going nowhere

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I heard they are using a "seasons" model work a battle pass and the first season is starting soon. Basically the Fortnite model.

yup.
DzKQ-7IWoAAPQls.jpg

As long as you can buy a new battlepass with virtual coins you've got in your last battle pass (Fortnite style),it will be great.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I gotta say, I've struggled to get into the whole BR thing until this came out! Really is a joy to play and I look forward to seeing where they take it!

Redmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Have yet to give it a go since I've been too busy watching the streams, but gratz to Respawn. Had a blast playing titanfall 1 for a few hundred hours so I'd imagine I'll like this game too.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
yup.
DzKQ-7IWoAAPQls.jpg

As long as you can buy a new battlepass with virtual coins you've got in your last battle pass (Fortnite style),it will be great.

Even if it wasn't the case, I don't mind paying for it every 3 months at this point. The game is worth it.

I think they should sell yearly passes at a discounted price or with extra coins or something.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Respawn deserves every bit of success. TitanFall 2 was such an underrated gem of a shooter. So glad to see tens of millions of players enjoying apex legends!

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
TheKeyPit

Also, MS will be getting 30% of all MTX sales on the XB1.

Sony gets 30% of all MTX sales on PS4
But the real winner is EA here with 100% of MTX sales on Origin.

Today Fifa is the biggest Money driver for EA with the biggest part of their playerbase on console and only 70% of that gross revenue for MTX.
With Apex they have finally a monster PC game. Most likely bigger than BF, Fifa and The Sims combined on Origin.
That's a lot of additional money and profits for EA.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah I found that funny as well. I guess Fortnite is both simultaneously a 'kids game' and one that requires too many build skills.

I think kids can grapple with the building mechanics easier since their brains are like sponges. I think I'm straight up too old to get up to speed to where 12 year olds are with Fortnite.

Grand Staff

Oct 28, 2017
Apex has high mobility, I'm not sure how that will work on mobile, sure you can play it like the others standing and shooting but it shines because of its fast movement speed and the crazy things you can do.

Yes, but we should also factor in the building mechanic that Fortnite has. I think Apex will do just fine on a mobile platform. It will be played slower due to touchscreen limitations, sure, but it will definitely work. It won't be as good as a PC or console release like other mobile ports, but it won't be unplayable even if the character mobility takes a hit.

I see it just as an additional market for EA/Respawn to target. I won't play it there, but it will open the door to millions of new players. It'll definitely hit the #1 spot on both app stores if they release it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe don't confuse yourself with the whole world. The game literally can't function without building and even the mode with way less mats was one of the worst received.
Why are you taking this personally? I literally said make a new mode that doesn't effect the current mode, where people can turn on and off building and such. I think this is the wrong thread to claim that people didn't want a version of Fortnite without the building aspect, or at least having it toned down. NOT in the main BR mode...which is why it wasn't received well. No one is trying to take your ramps and boxes away, relax.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017

As the link says Titanfall 2 actually used many different providers. Azure was one of many.

I do think Apex will use Azure in some capacity but wether it's entirely Azure and thus Azure can be solely credited with the smooth launch is harder to say.

If I was to guess I'd say Apex is using the multiple solution again, cause Respawn wouldn't be getting a discount on the Azure servers like they did for TF1.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Game is super fun, I expect they will announce 40M later this week or early next week. It's blowing up.