• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the greatest part about this game is getting a dirty flank and not have them build a fortress to save themselves

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you taking this personally? I literally said make a new mode that doesn't effect the current mode, where people can turn on and off building and such. I think this is the wrong thread to claim that people didn't want a version of Fortnite without the building aspect, or at least having it toned down. NOT in the main BR mode...which is why it wasn't received well. No one is trying to take your ramps and boxes away, relax.
A very small minority yes but to act like. It making one hurt the game in any way is very out of touch. The timed mode model has for all intents and purposes been incredibly successful even when there were some duds.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
This game just does everything right with the BR genre and fixes so much about what I dislike about PUBG/Fortnite/Blackout. I am happy for Respawn and looking forward to the future of the game.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Correct but they also started using amazon and google as well for titanfall 2. I'm assuming they are doing the same thing again. Whatever they are doing they ditched the Chicago servers after titanfall 1 which makes me sad.

https://youtu.be/o41kxJE3cuw

Lead network engineer discusses servers for titanfall 2.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sony gets 30% of all MTX sales on PS4
But the real winner is EA here with 100% of MTX sales on Origin.

Today Fifa is the biggest Money driver for EA with the biggest part of their playerbase on console and only 70% of that gross revenue for MTX.
With Apex they have finally a monster PC game. Most likely bigger than BF, Fifa and The Sims combined on Origin.
That's a lot of additional money and profits for EA.
And more Origin subs leads to more Origin Access sub sales, and potentially more Anthem and other game sales (offset by those who may be too busy playing Apex to want to get Anthem day one).

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Unfair to compare it to Fortnite because Apex just got started while Fortnite had almost 2 years. It took Fortnite a while to get going whereas Apex blew up almost instantly. 10m comcurrent is a tough ask but if there's 1 studio who truly knows what gamers want it's Respawn. Gameplay matters most and I trust they will never mess up there.

I bet people at Epic are sweating at this rate. Apex is rising fast and there's no stopping this train. A lot of people who play Fortnite are playing Apex too and more Apex than Fortnite. Now Respawn needs to support the game like crazy, evolve. Season Pass in march damn same time as Fortnite... THIS GONNA BE FUN.

Yeah, I enjoy Fortnite but after playing for five straight seasons I think I'll have to pick up the Apex Legends pass next month.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Move to the left, Epic Games.

This is what you deserve for killing Paragon.

Rise up, Apex.

TRfASuq.gif
My man

Paragon for life :')

fobbyBro

Jan 19, 2018
The last time i was this addicted to a game during it's initial release window was Rocket League and I'm still playing that regularly so I don't think I'll stop playing anytime soon but the fact that this is under EA's belt scares the shit out of me. They'll definitely fuck it up. You can count on it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The last time i was this addicted to a game during it's initial release window was Rocket League and I'm still playing that regularly so I don't think I'll stop playing anytime soon but the fact that this is under EA's belt scares the shit out of me. They'll definitely fuck it up. You can count on it.
1) The Respawn bosses have a long history of telling their overlords to fuck off, going back almost 20 years.
2) It's not built on Frostbite, which makes it harder for EA to offer development assistance.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about the numbers. I'm talking about the actual quality of the BR. I don't think PUBG is definitively better than Blackout like the OP suggested
Pubg is certainly better at this point. While pubg might be buggy and slow to get content, blackout has received one addition to its map SINCE launch. RIght now pubg has 4 maps, with new weapons and vehicles on all of them. And lets also not ignore blackouts own buggy problems and the audio which is still the worst of any br game out right now, especially compared to pubg's audio ques which are probably the best of the bunch.

fobbyBro

Jan 19, 2018
1) The Respawn bosses have a long history of telling their overlords to fuck off, going back almost 20 years.
2) It's not built on Frostbite, which makes it harder for EA to offer development assistance.

I've heard about how much Respawn fought for control on this game which gives me some hope. I hope this teaches the industry a fucking lesson. Do right by gamers and you've got a much better chance of blowing up. Make a good game above all else, and don't try and force them to buy shit with pay to win. We'll see but there is definitely some optimism to be had.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I totally disliked BR games and I skipped my morning gym session this morning to play Apex before heading out to work.

(I'm not proud...)

This game is crazy fun

Beef

Oct 27, 2017
TX
People keep saying this

Visceral never made money - ever

Respawn is going to make more money in the next few weeks than Visceral made in their entire history

They are going nowhere

Well duh, most BRs following the Fortnite recipe jam packed with cosmetic loot boxes will generate absurd amounts of money.

It shouldn't be surprising people are sketch about EA. Their treatment of multiple studios over the years is just downright shitty tbh.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Pubg is certainly better at this point. While pubg might be buggy and slow to get content, blackout has received one addition to its map SINCE launch. RIght now pubg has 4 maps, with new weapons and vehicles on all of them. And lets also not ignore blackouts own buggy problems and the audio which is still the worst of any br game out right now, especially compared to pubg's audio ques which are probably the best of the bunch.

PUBGs been out since March of 2017. Of course it's gonna have more content. Blackout came out 5 months ago and Treyarch can't just solely work on it since they have Zombies and Multiplayer to work on as well.

Blackout has problems, of course, but I still think the core gameplay loop and overall map design rivals PUBG, Apex & Fortnite. Just my opinion

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
581K on Twitch, LoL 131K, Fortnite 100K.
a question i have had since i noticed this: what does this actually mean, typically?

people talk about games that are fads and drop off the face of the world eventually, but has that happened before for a game that consistently held the number one slot by this big a margin? Especially a game that just came out and has relatively little content, esp compared to fortnite

EDIT: basically I'm asking at what point do dominating streaming numbers stop requiring qualification

Last edited:

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
PUBG was the single worst piece of software I ran on a computing device in 15 years, I found the building in fortnite in general to just be completely asinine and unfun. This however, has been massively fun and runs great on my old PC and the PS4.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
a question i have had since i noticed this: what does this actually mean, typically?

people talk about games that are fads and drop off the face of the world eventually, but has that happened before for a game that consistently held the number one slot by this big a margin? Especially a game that just came out and has relatively little content, esp compared to fortnite

EDIT: basically I'm asking at what point do dominating streaming numbers stop requiring qualification
I forgot today was a sponsored day, like at least last weeks launch day. Generally the streamers are going to stream the games which earn them the most viewers and money, so it's some barometer on gamer interest levels, especially with MP where crowds tend to follow as friends bring in friends. I think in 3-4 weeks it'll tell us a lot if the numbers are similar, or if say Apex is at 50K and the major streamers are back to Fortnite, i.e. whether it's genuinely a serious competitor for 2019 (and beyond) or just a fad.