• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I tried Quake Champions over GEForce now a while back and while i didnt do any worse than I usually do (im bad at the game!) the latency was super noticiable & probably wouldve irritated me if i was playing seriously and not checking something out for the novelty of "im playing quake champions on my toaster laptop that cant run it!".

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Tekken, especially, was incredibly sluggish on PS4 at launch. Whether the casual crowd understood what was going on or not, it certainly made their experience markedly worse. Add a couple of frames of lag to Tekken and snake edges become unbearable.

My point was fighters on Stadia would be terrible and anyone who plays them seriously would not want to play them there.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
What about playing Fighting games Online vs Stadia ? It is running on a local instance. Sure as hell would be better than w/e SFV netcode is.

Also don't since Stadia is essentially the PC version. It would also have lesser input lag than console counterparts , then you add the streaming lag. SFV is 3.5f on PC and 4.5 on PS4. Playing an online match on Stadia might not be all that different than playing on PS4.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imo the people who are gonna be really hindered by latency on Stadia are the people who currently run PC games on low settings and tweak config files to eek out higher framerates and only use wired controllers. Godspeed to those people, I don't think streaming is ever going to be adequate for them.

But the vast majority of people playing Apex Legends on a PS4 with a wireless controller on a >50Mb/s connection are not going to notice a difference playing on Stadia.

I'd be really surprised if Apex Legends isn't released for a streaming service.
The DualShock 4 over bluetooth has the lowest input lag of all but one controller solution.

www.reddit.com

r/RocketLeague - Controller input lag comparison (more info in the comments)

310 votes and 153 comments so far on Reddit

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Playing an online match on Stadia might not be all that different than playing on PS4.

Not at all. Fighting games use P2P netcode, introducing stadia would now make it server based. It would fundamentally change how fighting games online work, and for the worse. The player closer to the data center would have an advantage due to a lower ping, where before both players were on equal footing since they were connecting straight to each other. Also since stadia is just a video stream there would be no way to sanity check each player's end to make sure they're seeing the same thing, so you're looking at a lot of desyncing issues.

Server based connections don't make sense in a genre where it's 1-on-1 fights, it's needless overhead.

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's take a look at some numbers of input lag measured by Digital Foundry.

Last gen, Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 measured at 77.5ms of input lag. We all agree that Modern Warfare 2 had quite responsive controls, yeah? I mean that's basically Call of Duty's claim to fame: it felt incredibly responsive.

This gen, Modern Warfare remastered is clocking in at 39.3ms of lag. Toss it on Stadia with 35ms of network latency and it'll still be more responsive that last gen's Modern Warfare 2. Arstechnica was measuring Halo 5 coming in at 67ms on XCloud.

My point of the comparison is simply to show that streaming games could feel plenty responsive. No, streaming is not better than native, but it could be perfectly playable.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I can see casual people not knowing, but anyone who plays fighters more seriously...I don't think they'll even touch Stadia for fighters.

Thats a group of individuals that go out of their way to buy low-latency monitors, wired sticks and pads, and ensure that they play online using a wired connnection. All those investments and more in order to maintain a competitive edge. Any latency is the enemy and even adding just one frame of latency matters.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Let's take a look at some numbers of input lag measured by Digital Foundry.

Last gen, Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 measured at 77.5ms of input lag. We all agree that Modern Warfare 2 had quite responsive controls, yeah? I mean that's basically Call of Duty's claim to fame: it felt incredibly responsive.

This gen, Modern Warfare remastered is clocking in at 39.3ms of lag. Toss it on Stadia with 35ms of network latency and it'll still be more responsive that last gen's Modern Warfare 2. Arstechnica was measuring Halo 5 coming in at 67ms on XCloud.

My point of the comparison is simply to show that streaming games could feel plenty responsive. No, streaming is not better than native, but it could be perfectly playable.

Very well put.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Thats a group of individuals that go out of their way to buy low-latency monitors, wired sticks and pads, and ensure that they play online using a wired connnection. All those investments and more in order to maintain a competitive edge. Any latency is the enemy and even adding just one frame of latency matters.

Well, yes. I'm one of them.

There wouldn't be any additional lag on top of what you're already used to in online fighting games.

So terrible lag at times...

Until I try one with no difference than local play, I'm not convinced fighters will be great on Stadia.

Edit: I would love to be wrong on this and see that somehow, it works without us noticing the difference.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bring on the streaming crossplay so we can rack up those kills with our local console advantages all the live long day.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are ways that streaming will improve FPS games. Zero lag between clients means you'll never see a kill/headshot/etc that doesn't go through because of latency.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There could be a downside if AAA games like Cyberpunk start to be designed so they can be fully enjoyed on a cell phone/tablet. I mean, they're dumbed down enough as it is..

Latency between players isn't the same as input latency, and doesn't affect game feel in the same way.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Have they introduced real tournaments yet, none of the race stuff facing random non tournament participants but vs tournament?

It's not about whether the game has real competition or not. Competitive play can still be competitive so long as players have an approximately level playing field.

It's about how the game feels to play. How it feels to move the camera.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about whether the game has real competition or not. Competitive play can still be competitive so long as players have an approximately level playing field.

It's about how the game feels to play. How it feels to move the camera.
I've just been anticipating real tournaments for a while and haven't been watching people play Apex lately so I didn't know if they added real tournaments yet or not. I guess they didn't, seeing streamers or contestants play in the same game would have been more exciting than the format they had for the first few tournaments.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've just been anticipating real tournaments for a while and haven't been watching people play Apex lately so I didn't know if they added real tournaments yet or not. I guess they didn't, seeing streamers or contestants play in the same game would have been more exciting than the format they had for the first few tournaments.

Yeah, sadly no private servers in any form right now.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
No shit
q7acBKsnUJK55leHu2jPuMwWALP8h1te1t3tuFl6NSI.png

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
streaming is not the future of gaming. it will die again, like it did with onlive. even with google behind it. it just sucks.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Are they taking into consideration the source of the video feed will be played out in a LAN environment between the other players before the video is passed back to the end user? That's one advantage of the service?

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Perhaps for how Apex Legends is currently built, with its current architecture.

However, if a game like apex was built with streaming in mind, it would accrue a bunch of benefits overs it's current form. For instance, rubber banding would be a thing of the past.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Apex already has really bad server issues compared to other fps games. Now imagine streaming it.

300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg
If your upload speed is enough to handle both it doesn't really matter lol. If you have 100mbit up even a 90mbs stream (which would be absolutely ridiculous to stream at) shouldn't affect your gameplay whatsoever.

Edit: Holy fuck I owned myself. I'm an idiot lmao. I just associate streaming with live streaming your gameplay, absolute fool that I am. Ignore this dumb post.