• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i dont like lootboxes and i wont be buying anything, but i'd be interested to hear how many people in this thread who've played apex have spent money on it in any capacity?
I have ~400 hours in it and haven't spent a penny. My initial currency in the game came from having an origin access sub to play anthem.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
It's a free to play game. No one is forcing anyone to buy cosmetics to play dress up on your characters. When these companies start charging for game play changes and modes that's when it becomes a problem.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes is horrible. You can't even get the skin you want unless you are extremely lucky with your 2 free lootboxes or pay up to 70-80 bucks. Nobody is complaining about not able to unlock everything.

People who say it's fine clearly don't play the game constantly or other F2P games.

I mean, for me it is just cosmetics so I can fairly say it is fine for me? They delivered one of the best games this gen for free.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The corporate bumlicking when it comes to F2P games overextending with mtx pricing is insane considering the overarching sentiment around them.

Like, the people supporting the game you're enjoying for free raise an eyebrow over the pricing and they're told 'what's the issue?'.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Correct, assuming you have the willpower to not buy anything outside of the pass beyond the 200-300 vbucks or whatever you have left over :p.

Every Season there's also a free Battle Pass which is very limited (there's only a total of maybe like 5-10 things in it versus 100+ with the paid pass) that gets you I think 300 vbucks, so I've seen stories of people who have never put a dime in and played for free for the first few seasons then earned enough free vbucks by season 6 or whatever to buy the pass that way.

I assume the reason Epic does this is they know realistically most people will cave on skins etc with the flow of vbucks you get along the way in the pass, and also people playing to max out the pass are spending more time in the game, which means they see the item shop changing daily and they might be more likely to spend money that way, etc. Apex is in a hard place in that regard IMO because it's hard to monetize the same things Fortnite does. It's a first person game almost always so spending a bunch of money on a skin isn't as appealing, there's no emotes you can do while on the ground (unless that changed recently), etc. Apex has skins and whatnot, but they're price way too high for their visibility in-game IMO, especially compared to Fortnite where you're constantly looking at your character.

Nice post explaining things. Reasonable thoughts on Apex, but Overwatch is also first person and they are selling fine. (are they? it's been awhile since I heard any success story for Overwatch in terms of profit)

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
EA diving in on that shit like:
giphy.gif

Like okay, fine, we have lootboxes. they're bad enough. but then TIMED lootboxes? I thought Overwatch already took the brunt of that hit with their seasonal/event lootbox BS. APEX finally got out of a hole and now EA is digging Respawn another one.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how anyone is surprised.

Number one, EA.

Number two, this studio has a history of overpriced DLC. Titanfall 2 had tons of it. Titanfall was goddamn amazing but had $10 three map DLC packs. IW CoD titles always had $10-15 map packs that sucked.

Number three, skins in this game have been a huge ripoff since day one. $20 for skins.

I don't mind this though because the game is free to play and it's all cosmetics. I can support the game via Battle Pass and not buy any of this shit. If there are people willing to pay for this then have at it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
From a legal point of view this isn't settled yet fully. From my own PoV I see no issue with this since I can just skip it alltogehter if I want.
You don't have to have a direct relation or connection with things to appreciate when they might be able to be made better. Especially when the concern expressed is by those directly allowing you to not care and skip it altogether.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Is ther proof this is all on EA or do people just not want to put any responsibility on Reapawn?

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely think it needs a rework and repricing, but let's not pretend that it sets a new bar in any way.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I hate this whole "it doesn't effect me so I don't care" mentality. How about getting some fucking empathy and know this does effect folks and triggers their gambling/collecting habits and hurts then financially. It's manipulative, predatory practices to have your shit locked behind RNG loot boxes. Period.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The people whining might be the people that are allowing you to actually enjoy the game without giving a shit about these things.

Who said I enjoyed the game? I don't even play it anymore...

I also have 0 problems spending money on cosmetics in games I like. If they happened to be hidden behind some RNG system, whoop dee doo.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how else is Respawn going to make money? Do you think that Apex Legends was made over the weekend by 2 people? Respawn is a decent sized dev house oozing with talent. They are not a charity that makes games for free.
By selling skins, not lootboxes. Like Fortnite, the biggest game in the world.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I hate this whole "it doesn't effect me so I don't care" mentality. How about getting some fucking empathy and know this does effect folks and triggers their gambling/collecting habits and hurts then financially. It's manipulative, predatory practices to have your shit locked behind RNG loot boxes. Period.

Yes, but the game is also free, so there is that, so how are they suppose to earn money then? If they want to keep it F2P if they can't sell anything.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The suggestion of evaluating prices or tweaking the execution of the event doesn't have to contradict any of that.
This. It's almost like people think the other alternative is NO MONETIZATION AT ALL.

It's about an event and a progression system that is build only around those loot boxes (okay, apart from those tokens you have to play a shitload of hours for so you can use them to buy 6 items). To get this special axe not only you have to acquire ALL 24 items (which, again, are ALL locked behind a lootbox) and THEN you have to pay another 3,500 in-game coins, which is 40 bucks (because, thanks inter-currency, you can't buy 3,500 coins). And then you have the price of 7 bucks for one of those loot boxes.

It's not all or nothing people ask for. It's a reasonable price and more interesting event progression.

I miss the times when you were rewarded for getting 500 headshots with a specific weapon and you got a certain skin or attachment for that weapon—and not the chance to get it. Of course I could just take 60 bucks, invest them in Apex Legends and pretend I have now a full-price game with all its content and maybe pay another 20 bucks symbolically each year to pretend I now have a add-on with all its content. Thing with those GaaS is you will NEVER have everything (which could be okay), but in order to get what you really want (maybe 5 out of 100 skins) you can easily end up paying hundreds of bucks.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, but the game is also free, so there is that, so how are they suppose to earn money then? If they want to keep it F2P if they can't sell anything.
People are able to disagree with and discuss pricing models that they feel are too high.

This is a valid topic and just because a game is F2P doesn't mean it can't better the experience for both consumer and company. It is an iterative process, they don't just land on something and happen to hit that mark 100%.
Changing the price you charge any amount will impact numerous things from likelihood of purchasing multiple items at once, the likelihood of the amount of the initial investment into the currency ecosystem, how likely they are to purchase again and the satisfaction gained from the purchase. Just to start.

The equivalent of "it's free to play so they have to have exorbitant prices" is about as shallow a puddle as you could produce on the topic.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck me, it's a free game, they are cosmetics, they don't give you a gameplay advantage and they have to make money....because it's a FREE game!

If this stuff you don't have to pay for annoys you so much go and buy a different game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True, but calling it scummy practice is wrong imo.
The loot boxes for this event are seven times more expensive than the regular ones. The first season's event had items you directly earned over time rather than just a loot box. Compared to their own previous practices this is pretty out of left field and extremely expensive.

I've put over 230 hours on the PC version, bought both battle pass seasons with the extra levels and the original founders pack. I love the game, but this is pretty depressing for the state of the secondary cosmetic grind of the game. It won't make me stop playing it, but the wall for these items is so astronomically high I won't spend a penny on it. I'm certainly the target audience they're shooting for here since I have bought and plan to buy stuff to support the game in the future, but over $150 for a random 2 week long mid-season event? With no way to realistically earn these through gameplay? Fuck off with that.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
but allowing yourself to be acquired by EA

I dunno man, if someone offered me 350 million dollars for my company I don't think I could just turn it down on principle. I mean I'd probably also immediately retire and start a new company so *shrug emoji*

I just think it's weird, given EA's history of pushing this crap on every single game ever, to lay this on Respawn. This free-to-play game published by EA was going to get hit with ridiculous mtx whether Respawn was on board with it or not.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Fuck me, it's a free game, they are cosmetics, they don't give you a gameplay advantage and they have to make money....because it's a FREE game!

If this stuff you don't have to pay for annoys you so much go and buy a different game.
It's not a free game for the percentage of players they require to invest in the game to keep it free for most. Discussing the pricing model is as valid as discussing any other part of the game that people are expected to engage with.

I didn't - I just didn't disagree. You went on to a different point though, which those posts had tried to address before.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

It will continue to be free BECAUSE people will spend $200 on this garbage event.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just charge a reasonable price for the content like a certain other popular Battle Royale game that happens to also be free.

Here I agree! I don't have an oppinion on the pricing just yet, but I assume their revenue people will see if this is a viable price of not.

The loot boxes for this event are seven times more expensive than the regular ones. The first season's event had items you directly earned over time rather than just a loot box. Compared to their own previous practices this is pretty out of left field and extremely expensive.

I've put over 230 hours on the PC version, bought both battle pass seasons with the extra levels and the original founders pack. I love the game, but this is pretty depressing for the state of the secondary cosmetic grind of the game. It won't make me stop playing it, but the wall for these items is so astronomically high I won't spend a penny on it. I'm certainly the target audience they're shooting for here since I have bought and plan to buy stuff to support the game in the future, but over $150 for a random 2 week long mid-season event? With no way to realistically earn these through gameplay? Fuck off with that.

Then you are doing it correct, by speaking with your wallet, hopefully, for you, they will not have this pricing level.

It's not a free game for the percentage of players they require to invest in the game to keep it free for most. Discussing the pricing model is as valid as discussing any other part of the game that people are expected to engage with.

I didn't - I just didn't disagree. You went on to a different point though, which those posts had tried to address before.

My initial post was in response to "scummy practice", even though I didn't mention it. But I agree that it is perfectly valid to discuss a F2P pricing model, but calling it scummy practice reeks entitlement for me that they should be able to get everything for free.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019

Is literally a free game.

If you love the game and want to support them spend money. If you want to support the game by just playing the game, don't spend money.

If you don't care either way.. whatever.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think what some people are missing is the stark jump in price compared to previously. It's a bit like pulling up to McDonald's to see the dollar menu items are now $10 apiece.