• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Glad to see a thread about this in main and it actually hitting the news cycle too as I was gonna post it myself earlier. The MTX on this update is so far out of whack and disgusting, that its astonishing. This after its long been a main complaint on the game and its been losing players. Fuck all that 'just cosmetics' noise as well because there are very few updates in the game at all, so any new content is thirsted over. Especially since you can't play to unlock anything beyond 2 measly lootboxes, even if you own the Battle Pass. A few things:

• The new character skins in the game were all made as a medieval set theme, and they've been the first new full skins the game has seen in a while. 3 of them we're released in the Battle Pass, but clearly they wanted to hold over 7 for this new monetisation event.

• Normally in a hero game, people have their set stable of 2-3 players they main. Due to every one of these new cosmetics being RNG, if you are after a skin for 'your' character, the RNG is more than likely to screw you for 23 of those 24 boxes. That's where the £100+ price tag is coming from for people. It's fucking disgusting.

• Apex Legends progression and MTX systems have been absolutely fucked from launch and I've long said they should fire and re-hire whoever the designer thats responsible as they're just not up to snuff and hurting the game. The weekly store only has 5-6 things to buy on it at any given time, cycling between random odds and sods. The red Apex currency you can earn infinitely when levelling up has no purpose outside of buying a new Legend which seems to be once per quarter, and Exclusive Upgrade skins on the Weekly Store for which you already need the corresponding Legendary skin to be able to 'buy'. It is beyond fucked, and now they have managed to fuck it further and associate their new exciting update with 'EA UP TO USUAL EA SURPRISE MECHANIC BULLSHIT' headlines.
Apex Legends is a great shooter, the mechanics are tight as hell and I enjoy playing it. It is hamstrung by dreadful netcode and an MTX/Progression designer that seems to want the game to die sooner rather than later. Its been quite a while since I've seen design talent at a studio excel while the other half seems to work actively against them ever enjoying a period of positive news for their game.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a game selling cosmetic items for money, especially in free to play.. The RNG crate stuff strikes me as pretty lame -- I kinda hate it, but it's whatever. It's F2P and these things are cosmetic. Not that big an outrage.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm going the only person that never purchases anything additional to a game. I love Apex but don't give a shit about anything but playing the game. Same for any other game. If this crap sells then they're gonna keep selling it. It's simple business whether I think it's bullshit or not.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I'm excited to see how creative EA can be with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order when it comes to micro transactions.

It is a $60 single player game after all. I am sure they will find a way.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
He is right though in the comment he made.

Without people paying, the game wouldn't exist.

I didn't disagree.

If you love them and want to support them, spend money. If you want to support them and not pay, just play the game. Totals matter.

I don't care how much money someone spends, nor do I care how much they list "exclusive" cosmetics items for (or in what fashion). People in here love to tell others what they should or shouldn't use their disposable income on. It's fucking laughable. Is it gambling? Sure. Do people gamble in real life.. yes. Am I going to spend money on things I like or want? You bet your ass I am. (Just not in this game)

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I saw some headlines with the new skins and thought it's time to go back to Apex, when I saw this clusterfuck I immediately noped, way to kill your game Respawn

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
EA wants money. Game is a F2P game that has microtransactions. They need to make revenue somehow. Lootboxes are easy revenue generators. If this was a paid game with lootboxes I'd be more disappointed.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw some headlines with the new skins and thought it's time to go back to Apex, when I saw this clusterfuck I immediately noped, way to kill your game Respawn
Its not really a cluster fuck as it's just cosmetics, there isn't anything game play wise locked behind any paywall.

It's simply down to the fact of if you want to pay money for people to see your character looking different.

And they aren't killing their game, it's one of the most played games right now and I'm assuming making a killing from these little boxes

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I saw the trailer earlier, logged on, figured out how I don't get all these cool event items, and switched it off again.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Again F2P is not excuse for scummy tactics why is this keep being said?
How exactly is it scummy tactics? There's nothing here, that I've read at least in the OP, that says said stuff in necessary in any way to buy. If people want to buy it, they can. Many clearly don't want it and will pass. If that means more and more follow the latter option because they don't like the pricing model, then EA/Respawn changes them or the game dies. I can't be made to feel guilty because others are funding the game I choose to play free.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Again F2P is not excuse for scummy tactics why is this keep being said?

It's not like a big OP weapon/special character is locked behind it making it P2W like most f2p gotcha games. There is so many characters that have an effect in-game I will never get from FEH because my luck sucks in that game and I am not willing to pay for orbs...Apex is just visual cosmetics that make you look different that have zero in-game impact.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty incredible amount of people showing their ass when they persist in thinking that charging more money and receiving more revenue are a simple linear line with no further consideration.

That the concept of lowering the price or increasing the value proposition for the consumer means that doing so would be an abject detriment to the company.

There's zero reason to run in to bat for Apex outside of an impulse to defend it from criticism, especially if you're proudly proclaiming you don't even interact with the systems that the topic is about.

A game being F2P doesn't make it infallible from criticism when it comes to pricing structures. It's typically a to-and-fro between appeasing consumers with price and charging more to widen the markup.

What is utterly stupid is when the consumers start shouting down other consumers when it comes to discussing the line being drawn more toward the consumer-friendly end, when it has as much bearing on their enjoyment of the game as it did before.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
If y'all give up on the game then the player base will dwindle and it will be harder and harder to find games, thus making my purchases useless. So please buy some packs and/or play the game.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I'd say it's taking it to a new level when plenty of other games have done exactly this long before apex.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
And to think, this is what we got instead of Titanfall 3.
So you are dismissing the amazing gameplay of Apex Legends, which is by the way a video game, because you are unhappy with the price of loot boxes that no one is forcing you to buy and have zero impact on the gameplay? It really is mind blowing to me that lots of people seem to dismiss the enjoyment and FUN of a game and would rather focus on the dress up part.....even a FREE game like this one!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Amazing how many people don't care about the microtransactions but care about people suggesting they're too expensive.

If they don't affect your enjoyment of the game I don't see how them potentially being cheaper will either.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but the game is also free, so there is that, so how are they suppose to earn money then? If they want to keep it F2P if they can't sell anything.
There is a difference between making money by selling cosmetics and using predatory gambling mechanics to make money.

Apex can monetize it's game without use scum tactics like RNG lootboxes. Plenty of other Free to Play games do it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Amazing how many people don't care about the microtransactions but care about people suggesting they're too expensive.

If they don't affect your enjoyment of the game I don't see how them potentially being cheaper will either.
Who in here has said they're perfectly fine with the prices and don't see a need for them to be cheaper? I must have missed that post.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
People are missing the bigger picture in that they are selling at these exorbitant prices, because people are buying. Don't get caught up in the internet collective of how many people saying these prices are outrageous, which they most certainly are.

Fortnite has been selling $20 skins for going on two years now.

Black Ops 4, one of the worst offenders of microtransactions, has already outpaced COD:WWII in microtransaction sales.

The market is speaking and is more than fine with these prices, doesn't make it right, but it certainly explains why.
It's simply down to the fact of if you want to pay money for people to see your character looking different.
This is why I never really gave a shit about cosmetics in any shooter that wasn't Fortnite, if I am only seeing my character in the lobby and victory screens, what they look like is meaningless to me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just tell gambling addicts to just not gamble. How innovative. Can't believe no one has thought of this before!

We tried getting my father to stop gambling many times and by the time he was divorced he had spent most of our savings and went to live somewhere else while my mother, me and my sister kept the house. Im never going to accept anything with even with the slightest potential to enable that type of addiction, including videogames that have a lot of young people playing them already.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Except no one is saying that, so again, where are you getting this? Let's try not to change the parameters just to back up your point.
What are you on about, several people have said that in this thread. No parameters have changed, you're just apparently oblivious to the posts saying this is a non-issue because it's F2P.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It will continue to be free BECAUSE people will spend $200 on this garbage event.
So you say thanks to them and continue to play hundreds of hours of the free game you enjoy?

Apex has been pretty meh on every front except the gameplay from the start, but there's no whale potential from this. There's a max they can spend and then they can't spend more.

Would people have been happier if they put out a $200 limited retail release for it - 'Apex Legends: EVENT Edition' that was just a code in a box that gives you all the skins?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its F2P and all those items are cosmetic only. I really dont see a problem.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
What are you on about, several people have said that in this thread.
Your hyperbolic characterization of 'put up or shut up' isn't even close to what people are saying. But if that's how you read it, probably need to look at what they're saying a tad closer without such a negative pov.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The lootbox system in this game is horrendous once you reach level 100, and the breadth of rewards included in the battle pass has mostly been an excuse to give away even less of them. So I'm not surprised to see the prices shoot up for an event like this.

I play Apex all the fucking time and I'd really like to support Respawn more often than every three months, but I'm not paying $7 for a lootbox, fuck off EA.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Do you know or have heard of masses of gambling addicts playing this game?

So people who don't mind spending money, when the choose to this way, have a problem?
You are completely missing the point. Predatory RNG lootboxes are wrong. Full stop. It is something that has been used and abused for far too long by gaming companies. There is a reason why they are being questioned from a legal standpoint in several countries at this point.

There are several articles and videos available that cover this topic in depth ans explain why they are wrong. I suggest you educate yourself.