• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Your hyperbolic characterization of 'put up or shut up' isn't even close to what people are saying. But if that's how you read it, probably need to look at what they're saying a tad closer without such a negative pov.
Fuck me, it's a free game, they are cosmetics, they don't give you a gameplay advantage and they have to make money....because it's a FREE game!

If this stuff you don't have to pay for annoys you so much go and buy a different game.
Again, I have no idea what you're on about. If you actually have something to query in the longer post it might be more constructive in where we disagree on the topic.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
You are completely missing the point. Predatory RNG lootboxes are wrong. Full stop. It is something that has been used and abused for far too long by gaming companies. There is a reason why they are being questioned from a legal standpoint in several countries at this point.

There are several articles and videos available that cover this topic in depth ans explain why they are wrong. I suggest you educate yourself.
I believe if people want to spend their money how they like then that is up to them, if people don't like it eventually they won't pay for it.

If this was a paid for game then it is understandable, but it is free.

I don't but them but i love the game, so have purchased the battle pass instead.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I believe if people want to spend their money how they like then that is up to them, if people don't like it eventually they won't pay for it.

If this was a paid for game then it is understandable, but it is free.

I don't but them but i love the game, so have purchased the battle pass instead.
Once again you are completely missing the point.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I do get it, i just don't care....again, if people want to and choose to spend their money how they like, it doesn't bother me.

It's not about you, if you genuinely didn't care you wouldn't be talking about it.

So many games have been influenced by MTX, designed around MTX and overall pushing how much MTX a game can take before people as a whole go "No" and they have to change it, like SWBFII. They will keep doing this in cycles, slowly do these shitty little tactics to get metrics on what's possible, what's not, keep trying for more etc. $70, or $150 for everything even for a F2P Game is both not surprising but extremely fucking greedy.

They didn't even TRY let people earn it if they have the time, the incentive used to be to skip the bullshit but now it's outright limited to spend money.
How are you not even seeing this? While this also doesn't directly effect me in THIS TITLE; other games will.

They will design games, mechanics, features and grindy bullshit that I can't tolerate in once loved titles and IPs and it will bother me.
Me not giving a shit what one does doesn't matter, other people spending money and giving excuses to these businesses just makes it worse for games in the future for someone who doesn't like MTX.

People say it's F2P so they need to make money some how, well how about you let me buy your game to avoid all the bullshit.
Oh, no I can't? I need to spend over $100 per event for everything? Aha I see why.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Once again you are completely missing the point.
It's an intentionally naive and simplistic view of the situation because they're really only upset that the game they like is being criticized. What other reason do they have to be upset over people suggesting a pricing structure is too expensive to the consumer.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Since its completely OPTIONAL AND COSMETIC only items it is not really a problem.

Its pushed as the only way to unlock certain skins, and yes, people really do want these. People often start using lootboxes without the intention of spending a lot, and lo and behold they end up spending a fortune.

You can call them idiots if you want and expose your total lack of empathy toward the many people who fall prey to these kinds of systems. "its just cosmetic" was never an excuse to include predatory monetization.

Not that I support any of this. I don't even play Apex but what's the difference between this or a mobile gatcha mtx? Find it weird people are worried about predatory lootboxes on pc/consoles but turn a blind eye towards mobile.

Do you have a single example of these double standards or is this just presumption?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I support any of this. I don't even play Apex but what's the difference between this or a mobile gatcha mtx? Find it weird people are worried about predatory lootboxes on pc/consoles but turn a blind eye towards mobile. Maybe with mobile it's expected

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's an intentionally childlike view of the situation because they're really only upset that the game they like is being criticized. What other reason do they have to be upset over people suggesting a pricing structure is too expensive to the consumer.
It's not even just the pricing. If this was a collection of skins and other cosmetics that you could buy individually then I would not even care.

It's the fact they are resorting to using predatory practices like these RNG lootboxes and then on top of that scumbag tactic they are pricing them at an absurd level.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Not that I support any of this. I don't even play Apex but what's the difference between this or a mobile gatcha mtx? Find it weird people are worried about predatory lootboxes on pc/consoles but turn a blind eye towards mobile. Maybe with mobile it's expected
I have to guess it's because they don't personally play those mobile games, but they do play Apex so they do care about that. Then again maybe they do have an issue with mobile, but just not talking about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is a thread about Apex. Make a thread about mobile gacha pricing models and I'm sure people will express similar sentiments.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
8721191.gif

Especially your fucking patience and wallet.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not even just the pricing. If this was a collection of skins and other cosmetics that you could buy individually then I would not even care.

It's the fact they are resorting to using predatory practices like these RNG lootboxes and then on top of that scumbag tactic they are pricing them at an absurd level.
You're completely right to point that out, though even without the RNG I still think it doesn't justify a limitless price (which I doubt you do either, but considering the sentiment..).

I should be speaking to the wider implementation and it adjusting because it equally isn't a linear line to revenue.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've mentioned this a few times, but it's the seven hundred percent markup compared to regular boxes that folks have an issue with. I like to support the game myself, and if it weren't astronomically priced I might get a few. It is actually better in a way because the boxes have no dupes and a pretty even chance to get an epic or legendary item. It does require a minimum of around $130 to get all items, even if you complete all the in-game challenges.

Some posters are claiming because the game is F2P, it negates all criticism of the pricing. I'm still enjoying the game regardless, but am voting with my wallet here on the event.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its pushed as the only way to unlock certain skins, and yes, people really do want these. People often start using lootboxes without the intention of spending a lot, and lo and behold they end up spending a fortune.

You can call them idiots if you want and expose your total lack of empathy toward the many people who fall prey to these kinds of systems. "its just cosmetic" was never an excuse to include predatory monetization.

You are making arguments against things I havent said lmao.

"You can call me an asshole and expose your total lack of being able to make rational arguments on the internet."

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's a free to play game, having things behind loot boxes that are cosmetic is bleh but the game is still free to enjoy. It would be best to be able to buy the items outright, but it's EA and we know that would not happen, they need to milk loot boxes until it's dead. If this was a buy to play game they would at least have to have a way for dlc costumes to be bought outright.

Free to play. Some companies do it right (Warframe, Path of Exile, etc.), most do it wrong (annoying monetization, pay for less headache/convenience, rng skins loot boxes only, and the worst pay to win).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Free to play. Some companies do it right (Warframe, Path of Exile, etc.), most do it wrong (annoying monetization, pay for less headache/convenience, rng skins loot boxes only, and the worst pay to win).
Accurate even if I can't speak to the examples, which is why feedback is important because it can make companies re-evaluate and there will almost always be an iterative step toward doing it right that affords more good-will from consumers without sacrificing ongoing revenue. It just requires that to be explored.

Reacting when a company starts to overextend in their pricing model (for which F2P has a greater incentive to regardless of people using it as a shield) is natural from a consumer perspective. It's also healthy. There should be that to and fro.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's super shitty. Locking the gear behind paid loot boxes is one thing, but to then charge 7x more for the limited time event loot box than they do for a standard Apex Pack is some bullshit. This, coupled with general fatigue with the game, has resulted in me dropping Apex for the foreseeable future.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You are making arguments against things I havent said lmao.

"You can call me an asshole and expose your total lack of being able to make rational arguments on the internet."

"ITS F2P JUST COSMETIC" in all caps is absolutely close enough to calling people fools for gambling. I can only assume you feel this way because of a lack of understanding or empathy.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I was just curious but fair enough.

FWIW I think, like you mentioned, people at this point expect it from mobile games as opposed to AAA console games forcing them in. They're both predatory but the difference I'd say is console games are pushed into mainstream consumption in a more aggressive manner. It really comes down to how these games are marketed versus what we get, and often in the case of GaaS, what we get down the line.

Mobile tactics suck as well, and is a terrible money sink for a lot of people, but for the most part you know what you're getting into. With Apex or even something like Crash Team Racing, where more MTX are introduced later on, a lot of people are right to be disappointed when games they've already put a ton of time in find more ways to charge them.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if i'm wrong since I didn't really pay attention to the monetization implementations, but isn't Rainbow Six Siege like this as well?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
So you say thanks to them and continue to play hundreds of hours of the free game you enjoy?

Apex has been pretty meh on every front except the gameplay from the start, but there's no whale potential from this. There's a max they can spend and then they can't spend more.

Would people have been happier if they put out a $200 limited retail release for it - 'Apex Legends: EVENT Edition' that was just a code in a box that gives you all the skins?
I would be happier if they were selling skins for $15-20 each so I could buy the two I want. Like they were doing since the release, their store always has skins. I don't really want to buy lootboxes and hope that Lady Luck will give me what I want in lootbox #1 and not #20.

martson2

Dec 18, 2017
How exactly is it scummy tactics? There's nothing here, that I've read at least in the OP, that says said stuff in necessary in any way to buy. If people want to buy it, they can. Many clearly don't want it and will pass. If that means more and more follow the latter option because they don't like the pricing model, then EA/Respawn changes them or the game dies. I can't be made to feel guilty because others are funding the game I choose to play free.

You don't feel guilty that the items that people actually want can't be bought at all unless you engage in gambling? If people like you actually read through the whole thread, you would see that most people are not complaining about price but about the way the items they want are obtained. If each item was say priced at 20 dollars or pounds an individual after 1 specific item could spend 20 during the event and be content. Instead they have to pay 7 for a slot machine pull. Now after 3 pulls without the item they want they are effectively overspending because of the gambling mechanic. A few lucky people will pull their desired item in 1 go but 99% will have to spend more than the 20 to get what they want. It's absurd to think that you would have to potentially pull 24 times to guarantee the item you want.

I also don't really care if this offends you but perhaps you should put your hand in your pocket every now and then to show a little appreciation for the people who put all their efforts into making the game. I mean there are starter packs on the stores that are pretty much designed for people like you who enjoy the game but are not overly bothered by the cosmetic side of the game. Your happy to let other people pay through the nose for a slot machine pull to fund your free to play experience. Reminds me of the benefit's system in my country, where people are happy to sit and home all day and do nothing and let the working tax payers fund their free money because why bother putting something in to benefit others when you can let someone else do it for you yea??

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
It's the fact that you don't even get to choose what you want though. Imagine setting your sights on a specific skin. You have no way to get it, even with real money, without having to go through rng and hoping for the best.
Are you thinking deeply about this while playing the free game you're playing for free?

I'd say milk the whales and thanks for making the game free in all the ways I care about, but I wonder if the kneejerk hyperbolic headlines do more harm than not.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Why do you guys think everybody should have the right, in a f2p game, to have access to all skins? I will never understand that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys think everybody should have the right, in a f2p game, to have access to all skins? I will never understand that.

So offer them at a fixed rate and not solely through slot machines that are designed to be exploitative? I spent some money on skins for League of Legends when I used to play because it was a fixed rate and not a total crapshoot.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Same. I'm not entitled to have every single skin in a F2P game, and i've learned that years ago.

In the rush to defend a corporation, friendos, you may have missed the fact that people don't want "all the skins", they most likely just want the skin for the character they mainly play as. Due to there being no option to just buy said thing, the gambling of the loot box nonsense drives the price to potentially $150+ if RNG goes as RNG so typically does.

That is what makes the entire thing so predatory and disgusting.