• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
What the fuck happened, Respawn?
Capitalism, business, and profits happened. At the end of the day Respawn is owned by a parent company, that parent company has shareholders and board of directors. Those shareholders and board of directors want your money. You already knew this but figured I would make it clear that these decisions start at the top and trickle its way into studio heads, who then tell PMs/Product managers to dream up ways to drive more revenue, which then dictates game design decisions and then engineers build the damn thing.

If there's enough backlash from the player base they may tweak some things. If it works then all the wigs and studio heads get a big pat on the back and a fatty bonus check. At the end of the day you can play the game without said cosmetics - but user research shows that this shit works and so here we are.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It really sucks for people that care about cosmetics, but it's definitely not a gameplay breaking issue.

Would anyone really expect anything less from respawn and ea regarding Apex though? They were literally giving out badges showing your season pass level as an unlockable prize.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the rush to defend a corporation, friendos, you may have missed the fact that people don't want "all the skins", they most likely just want the skin for the character they mainly play as. Due to there being no option to just buy said thing, the gambling of the loot box nonsense drives the price to potentially $150+ if RNG goes as RNG so typically does.

That is what makes the entire thing so predatory and disgusting.

Not really defending a corporation, but sure.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Fine with me if people want to pay to gamble to get skins. I love playing AAA games for free. I dont give a shit what my character looks like.

Keep doing/charging whatever the market will let you get away with for cosmetics, as long as it doesnt go pay2win.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
The only problem I have is that everything is tied to RNG loot boxes, they should've just let you purchase what you want from the regular shop. I would've thrown some cash their way for that Pathfinder and R99 skin.

That being said, I still enjoy playing and I won't quit the game over it like some people. At the end of the day they're cosmetics that offer no in game advantage.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Why do you guys think everybody should have the right, in a f2p game, to have access to all skins? I will never understand that.

So what you're saying is that the only ones deserving of the skins they wanna have, are the ones that are lucky enough to get them, and that the only thing separating people with skins and people without skins being luck is a perfectly acceptable way to decide who gets the skins?

In case you haven't noticed, people aren't asking for free skins. Most of us Apex players would gladly and happily pay for them, if our chances to get them were 1 out of 1. Currently, our chances to get them are 1 out of 24. Money isn't the problem here, but luck is, and I feel like a lot of people like you are completely and totally missing the point by a landslide.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
In the rush to defend a corporation, friendos, you may have missed the fact that people don't want "all the skins", they most likely just want the skin for the character they mainly play as. Due to there being no option to just buy said thing, the gambling of the loot box nonsense drives the price to potentially $150+ if RNG goes as RNG so typically does.

That is what makes the entire thing so predatory and disgusting.
how kind of you to say those things just because someone on the internet doesnt agree with you.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I was watching shroud's stream and they even locked a specific item until you collect all 24 packs and you STILL need to spend 3,500 coins to get it.

Scummy af

If you do this you need to have it like Fornite where you get what you pay for. That's how all these BR's and F2P's get their money. The gambling shit needs to die.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think what the worst thing about this is the fact it's random.

If they went ahead and said "hey we are adding 10 new skins to the game for 7 bucks each" I don't think people would be as annoyed because Apex is F2P.

However, because what you get is randomized, there is a potential someone might have to pay 200 dollars just for one skin.

The fact it's locked behind lootboxes that cost 7 bucks each is why this is scummy AF

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the game that has a class of item called Heirloom you are guaranteed to get after 500 crates, with no way to guarantee it prior. That means that given current crate availability, you would've had to buy somewhere around $400 in crates to be guaranteed to get this item.

This isn't really a new low. Same shit.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
You don't feel guilty that the items that people actually want can't be bought at all unless you engage in gambling?
Do you feel guilty for playing a free game for hundreds of hours and never giving them a dime?

If you don't want to risk a lootbox to get the skin you want, accept that you won't get that skin. It's a free to play game that will, in time, have hundreds of skins. It's ok to not have all the ones you want.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the server issues, skins and too many damn pistols this also pisses me off. This game still needs some serious work.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Tied behind loot boxes with a F2P doesn't bother me as much as how expensive the boxes are. Those are direct purchase prices.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to see the total lack of empathy members of this forum display towards those who are being preyed upon with these gross monetization tactics. Really shows a lack of compassion for your fellow human being because I LIEK GAEM DUN CRITICIZE GAEM ITS ONLY COSMETIC!!!11

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Exactly the same as R6 Siege, but with the added caveat that it isn't a free to play title. Mind you, there isn't this in any of there events:
  • Once you've done that, there's another item you will then have to pay a further $35 to unlock.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's sad to see the total lack of empathy members of this forum display towards those who are being preyed upon with these gross monetization tactics. Really shows a lack of compassion for your fellow human being because I LIEK GAEM DUN CRITICIZE GAEM ITS ONLY COSMETIC!!!11
I agree.

I have to be honest: I'm very disappointed in Respawn and EA. I know I shouldn't be because their MTX in Apex has been shit literally since launch, but idunno...I always kind of expected some course correction and price revisions based on the broad and unending community feedback on the subject.

Fortunately for me, most of Apex's skins are so hideous that I personally never fell into the MTX trap in this game. I got a starter pack and enough for a few more packs and season pass and that has been it, with no desire for more. The only cosmetic I miss not having is the version of Triple Take with the snake things sticking out of the sides. I wasn't playing Apex when that event was available.

I do honestly see a couple of weapon skins I like here and would want to have, but $7 for a slot pull is not something I'm interested in doing and from what I've read around here and on Reddit, there aren't a lot of people (outside of Streamers who have a vested interest and hardcore people that may be borderline addicted to the slot pull itself) who are engaging with this system.

See, new structures to loot box systems like we're seeing in this event are a test. They're still trying to figure out how to maximize dollars from players. The less people engage and the more they speak up about this, the less likely we are to see at least this version of exploitative RNG systems going forward.

Generally speaking, it's okay if some of you don't understand why these loot boxes are problematic. But I have a problem with you if you cannot empathize with and want to protect those who are struggling with these mechanics. They aren't just placed in there at random; these companies are hiring experts in human behavior, addiction, and other specialties to help design these mechanics to maximize their impact. It's all about the revenue and people are being taken advantage of. It requires you to be a little less self-centered and selfish which tends to be difficult for many gamers, but is absolutely essential. Take a little time out and read about addictive personalities or about the design process of these questionable MTX systems, then realize some things in life really aren't about you.

Exactly the same as R6 Siege, but with the added caveat that it isn't a free to play title. Mind you, there isn't this in any of there events:
  • Once you've done that, there's another item you will then have to pay a further $35 to unlock.
Yes, this is the final reminder of how scummy the system is. They know there are a number of people out there who feel like they need to have that Heirloom and can't control themselves. They know exactly what they're doing. It's just very disappointing.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
All you guys posting "it's because of EA"...
Did you forget they fled from Activision?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it's F2P those prices are fucking nuts. I like Apex but I won't go near those cosmetics at the prices they're pushing them for.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Year? People stopped talking about it the same month of release. Battlefront II was a big enough issue that controversial threads carried into the next calendar year.

Regardless, threads about either game are mostly positive these days...
Pretty sure if either game still mattered, was high on the radar of gamers broadly, and released brand new MTX schemes like this, they'd get new threads and fresh lambasting.

Don't conflate present irrelevance with acceptability on the subject of past or current MTX implementations.

If you made a thread about the MTX in either game right now, do you think you'd get replies with people saying that the state of MTX is great? Defending them? Of course not.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So like, don't buy? It's only skins

If they don't get money for this, they have to rework it. But the reality is, they will probably bank, unfortunately. Just don't buy it

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is R6S event levels of stupid, if I'm reading this right.
So like, don't buy? It's only skins

If they don't get money for this, they have to rework it. But the reality is, they will probably bank, unfortunately. Just don't buy it
"It's only skins"
"It's only cosmetic"
"Don't like it, don't buy it"

This is what folks always say. It could not possibly be more unhelpful. Look at Call of Duty for a great insight into how arguing "it's only cosmetic" really affects a game.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Optional microtransactions purely for cosmetics in a free to play game.

I'm finding it very hard to get up in arms about this one.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game will give you two loot boxes for free by playing the game, but that's it. After that you have to buy more loot boxes, ten of them will cost you $70.
giphy.gif

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$70 for ten lootboxes is not a "micro" transaction. That's more than the cost of a fully-featured paid release.

I can't believe there's people who don't get this point. Even charging $60 and giving the game along with all cosmetic items thus far would be much better than the horseshit they're pulling right now, which makes things considerably more expensive than your average retail game, for much less content, and luck based and the equivalent of gambling too. Being F2P doesn't excuse these things.

There's people like me who actually enjoy the game and want to invest in the cosmetic content, we just don't want to get ripped off or be forced to gamble our money.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Arguing semantics. $7, $0.07, $70, whatever... still finding it hard to care about this in a game that is free for items that are literally just skins.
It always starts out as "literally just skins", and things get progressively worse every single time, without fail. Not to mention charging SEVENTY DOLLARS FOR SKINS SHOULD NOT BE NORMALIZED.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, i give 0 fucks about COSMETICS in a fucking videogame, so yes, i don't care about how they are monetizing their game.
Cool, others give a fuck about predatory methods that are designed to take advantage of children and people with gambling issues.
Imagine if they just gave you the skin you wanted for 10 bucks instead of having a chance to get what you want in the last crate after you spent over 150 bucks on this shit, which is more than double the price than for a full price game. But that would be too fair I guess.

Keep defending this shit though if it makes you happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It always starts out as "literally just skins", and things get progressively worse every single time, without fail. Not to mention charging SEVENTY DOLLARS FOR SKINS SHOULD NOT BE NORMALIZED.
I can't believe there's people who don't get this point. Even charging $60 and giving the game along with all cosmetic items thus far would be much better than the horseshit they're pulling right now, which makes things considerably more expensive than your average retail game, for much less content, and luck based and the equivalent of gambling too. Being F2P doesn't excuse these things.

There's people like me who actually enjoy the game and want to invest in the cosmetic content, we just don't want to get ripped off or be forced to gamble our money.
I continue to be disappointed that this needs to be explained.

Over and over again. :(

"doesn't affect me, so why does it affect y doe? hurr durr"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm gonna be honest: I've had friends like these folks. Sometimes people literally don't give a single fuck about anyone else or how a system might be negatively affecting them so long as they can play uninterrupted and for free or otherwise enjoy themselves in whatever they're doing. Their MO is purely self-serving and self-centered. You can't really tell them anything or help them empathize; they don't have that function in their brains. Trying to do so is not dissimilar to talking to a tree stump.

I think it'd be easier if they simply said, "sorry I don't care about other people or these issues; I get to play for free so w/e." At least then people would understand there's no real value in engaging them further.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As in "the amount doesn't matter."

Which, you know, it doesn't. Cosmetics. Free game. I don't care.
Maybe care for the people they prey on with this shit then. But I guess that's too much to ask from the average gamer. Being indifferent to predatory business practices because they don't affect you personally doesn't make you look cool or levelheaded, just a hint.

Fine with me if people want to pay to gamble to get skins. I love playing AAA games for free. I dont give a shit what my character looks like.

Keep doing/charging whatever the market will let you get away with for cosmetics, as long as it doesnt go pay2win.
Wow, how considerate of you towards people with gambling addictions. "Fuck you got mine", "who needs market regulations lol, unregulated capitalism rules as long as I benefit from it!". Give me a break, edgelord.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to be disappointed that this needs to be explained.

Over and over again. :(

"doesn't affect me, so why does it affect y doe? hurr durr"
Not to mention it does nothing for conversation but detract from the topic. Other folks say "this is bad, because it could set a precedent", then someone comes in and says "well, it doesn't affect me, and it hasn't set a precedent yet, so who cares?" It's annoying at best, and disruptive at worst.

When R6 Siege had their Outbreak event back in 2018, folks were livid at how Ubisoft was selling cosmetic packs much in the same way Apex is doing now. Difference being the cost wasn't so absurdly high, but the motive was the same regardless: make people spend lots of money. FOMO is a hell of a thing, and exploiting it like Siege and Apex have done (or are doing) isn't good.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The least you can do respawn is give us titanfall 3 with this jesus.

7 dollars PER loot box? Are you fucking kidding?

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be honest: I've had friends like these folks. Sometimes people literally don't give a single fuck about anyone else or how a system might be negatively affecting them so long as they can play uninterrupted and for free or otherwise enjoy themselves in whatever they're doing. Their MO is purely self-serving and self-centered. You can't really tell them anything or help them empathize; they don't have that function in their brains. Trying to do so is not dissimilar to talking to a tree stump.

I think it'd be easier if they simply said, "sorry I don't care about other people or these issues; I get to play for free so w/e." At least then people would understand there's no real value in engaging them further.
I guess. It's just sad and you'd think at least on a forum full of people that have this as their main hobby there should be more people striving for a better situation with these things. I'll also stop engaging now, these folks clearly don't give a fuck. It's just sad there are so many of them. It's crazy how far we've come from horse armor to this in such a short timeframe.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Not to mention it does nothing for conversation but detract from the topic. Other folks say "this is bad because it sets a precedent", then someone comes in and says "well, it doesn't affect me, so who cares?" It's annoying at best, and disruptive at worst.
Agreed. It's weird to me that they even comment in a thread like this at all. It offers...so very little to the conversation.

Like, what is their goal? I guess to get everyone to be like, "Oh shucks, you guys are right. I guess it doesn't affect anyone. Nothing more to see here, let's lock 'er up."

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder when we'll get the "I spent 15,000 dollars on Apex Legends" thread.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
quite a few people have spent upwards of $300+.

If you see the Wraith heirloom on someone, you can assume they probably spent at least a few hundred. Very few were really lucky to get it in a free loot box.
I think I spent $20 and got it. Only after that "I spent $500 and still didn't get it" Reddit post did I realize how absurdly lucky I got. Didn't buy any boxes after that, once I realized how there were unlisted rarities on the drop table.