• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you guys when it comes to gameplay altering stuff, but cosmetics? Nah, you lost me. Crunch ain't free, they gotta pay for this game somehow. They probably don't have enough content to go the direct purchase route.

There also seems to be some conflicting info in this thread. Is there or isn't there dupes? Some saying there are and some saying no.

Come on dude, what is up with these types of posts. You really think the bulk of those multi million pound profits are going to end up going to the developers and not just predominantly lining the pockets of the higher ups?

EA bought Respawn for $455m just two years ago, including $151m in cash up front. Apex Legends also made $90m in its very first month (the game has been out 6 months). Think about how much revenue that is and what sort of development time the potential profit from that one month alone could allow. I'm pretty confident Respawn is doing just fine, and that they've made more than enough money to do everything you've mentioned and then some.

I doubt this is pricing designed to ensure Respawn's survival or upkeep, rather pricing intended to maximise profits, unfortunately at the expense of their player bases goodwill and value proposition. The irony is that I really do think they'd make a similar amount, if not more money with fairer policies and prices. Wish they'd at least give it a try to find out for themselves.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
"Whole new level"? Regular lootboxes we had for years are literally worse than this.

I don't even have a horse in this race, as I don't play battle royale games, and I find wording of the thread misleading.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow the lack of empathy some posters show in this thread is astounding, albeit unsurprising. They should really watch Jim's video on this exact issue, though they probably won't because ignorance is bliss.

I love Apex, but this is just shitty.

It's not that I won't watch because ignorance is bliss, I won't watch because Jim Sterling.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's not that I won't watch because ignorance is bliss, I won't watch because Jim Sterling.
perhaps these will work for you, so that you have no excuses:

Remember: you don't need to be able to identify; just recognize the problem and empathize. That shouldn't be asking much, but it seems quite a few posters are having trouble with the whole empathy and recognition of the problem aspect. But I'm not the kind of person that needs to have been a addict to anything to be able to empathize with a reality that is causing others pain. YMMV.

Bonus video

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a free 2 play game, there are no dupes and it's only cosmetics. How is this "another level of monetization"?

I find it funny how much people care for stupid skins they can't even see most of the time because it's a first person shooter oO

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this a few times in various other threads and I'll post it here as well. I type this up every time I mention it somewhere. No copy pasting. I do it this way, even though it takes time because it means something. It may not matter to those reading, but it does to me.

I'll be 35 in 3 weeks, for almost half my life 16-30 I was, to say the least, a problem drinker. I didn't realize that I was an alcoholic and didn't come to terms with that until I was trying to help a friend get sober. In April I celebrated 5 years sober. Not a single sip of alcohol in that time. But during my sobriety I learned that drinking wasn't my only problem, it's many factors. But like most problem drinkers it's a compulsion issues. And these kinds of tactics might have well be tailor made to target people like me. You give us something that we want, and then hide it behind random chance. 1 box, 3 boxes, it doesn't matter how many it takes, we obsess on it. We zero in on it and this little thing in the back of our head SCREAMS at us to keep going. And maybe we do buy 1 or 2 then stop. But then tomorrow that little voice is going "Eh come on, you bought 2 yesterday and nothing happened! You can buy 2 more!" And you rationalize it. It's only a few bucks. Next thing you know you've spent 50, 100, 200 dollars without even thinking about it.

It's almost impossible for someone who has never felt that compulsion, who've never heard that voice to understand. It's embarrassing for us to ya know? When black ops 4 came out I met these 3 guys from Chicago. Was playing black out with them every night. We spent hundreds of hours, hit max level WAY before prestige became available, got part of the way through that. Then the MTX's became to much for me. I realized one night I had spent 50 dollars and hadn't even thought about it. I uninstalled the game and vanished. Those guys, who I spent a lot of time with and considered friends I ghosted. Because I was, am to embarrassed to tell them what happened. That I couldn't control my impulses.

So before you say "It's just cosmetic" or "It's free to play how do you expect them to make money" just think about where that money is coming from, and what it's doing to people just like me. A member of your community, someone who was at "the old place" and has been here since day 1. We are among you, we aren't just nameless reddit posters, or nameless people who's story is told in an youtube video. We are your fellow board mates.

edit made for grammatical errors.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
perhaps these will work for you, so that you have no excuses:

Remember: you don't need to be able to identify; just recognize the problem and empathize. That shouldn't be asking much, but it seems quite a few posters are having trouble with the whole empathy and recognition of the problem aspect. But I'm not the kind of person that needs to have been a addict to anything to be able to empathize with a reality that is causing others pain. YMMV.
Seems it's too much to expect from a lot of users on here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like they learned from Siege's loot box "events" and then dialed the cost up to EA levels.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Tying exclusive skins to RNG based lootboxes is disgusting.

It takes advantage of people's impulsiveness and lack of patience to keep buying more lootboxes at the hope of getting what you want. There is no excuse for them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've said this a few times in various other threads and I'll post it here as well. I type this up every time I mention it somewhere. No copy pasting. I do it this way, even though it takes time because it means something. It may not matter to those reading, but it does to me.

I'll be 35 in 3 weeks, for almost half my life 16-30 I was, to say the least, a problem drinker. I didn't realize that I was an alcoholic and didn't come to terms with that until I was trying to help a friend get sober. In April I celebrated 5 years sober. Not a single sip of alcohol in that time. But during my sobriety I learned that drinking wasn't my only problem, it's many factors. But like most problem drinkers it's a compulsion issues. And these kinds of tactics might have well be tailor made to target people like me. You give us something that we want, and then hide it behind random chance. 1 box, 3 boxes, it doesn't matter how many it takes, we obsess on it. We zero in on it and this little thing in the back of our head SCREAMS at us to keep going. And maybe we do buy 1 or 2 then stop. But then tomorrow that little voice is going "Eh come on, you bought 2 yesterday and nothing happened! You can buy 2 more!" And you rationalize it. It's only a few bucks. Next thing you know you've spent 50, 100, 200 dollars without even thinking about it.

It's almost impossible for someone who has never felt that compulsion, who've never heard that voice to understand. It's embarrassing for us to ya know? When black ops 4 came out I met these 3 guys from Chicago. Was playing black out with them every night. We spent hundreds of hours, hit max level WAY before prestige became available, got part of the way through that. Then the MTX's became to much for me. I realized one night I had spent 50 dollars and hadn't even thought about it. I uninstalled the game and vanished. Those guys, who I spent a lot of time with and considered friends I ghosted. Because I was, am to embarrassed to tell them what happened. That I couldn't control my impulses.

So before you say "It's just cosmetic" or "It's free to play how do you expect them to make money" just think about where that money is coming from, and what it's doing to people just like me. A member of your community, someone who was at "the old place" and has been here since day 1. We are among you, we aren't just nameless reddit posters, or nameless people who's story is told in an youtube video. We are your fellow board mates.

edit made for grammatical errors.
Great post man. And many congratulations on 5 months of being sober.

All that is required is a bit of empathy. It's not asking a lot.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Great post man. And many congratulations on 5 months of being sober.

All that is required is a bit of empathy. It's not asking a lot.

Thank you. If I learned anything from meetings, of a brand that shall not be named, it's how important it is to tell one's story. It's not easy, is never fun. But if you tell it 100 times and manage to reach a single person in all those tellings, it's still worth it.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
This is not going to get money from most people, it seems to be backfiring even, as people who stay away from loot boxes won't be able to buy items separately either. But.. this is going to feed off the people with gambling problems, again. What a shitty practice.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I ought to be astounded by the clear lack of empathy so many users have shown here, but I'm not because that's the "hardcore gamer" audience for you. This personally doesn't affect me, but I 100% feel for the players who are affected. The system is so blatant in wanting you to spend for lootboxes, and the prices for those lootboxes are goddamn exorbitant.

There should be a more reasonable pricing model for this mode that would still make it profitable without alienating more players and getting press heat! F2P does not mean it should be given a pass for charging a ridiculous amount of money!

Also, fuck off to everyone thinking "cosmetics" don't matter when player expressivity is such a core design objective for so many games, and character customization is one of the most popular ways of realizing that. If cosmetics don't matter, there wouldn't Putting mechanics above all and using it to excuse predatory systems is displaying such a narrow-minded perspective of the medium and an obnoxious selfishness that has me instantly hitting the ignore button because I know such users have nothing original or useful to say.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I was readying my pitchfork and then I learned that it's just for cosmetics.

Oh well..

It's an F2P game so they have to make money some how. Nothing against them selling skins or micro transactions or whatever.

Problem is you don't have an option to buy what you want - the only option is a lottery for a chance to win what you want. That is exploitative.

Can't wait for the day this catches on in the real world. Go to the grocery store and pay for a chance to win a jug of milk.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
This really pissed me and my mate off, we just want to buy the skins... let me buy a skin not some crappy rng box. Wtf Respawn. Seriously.

So expensive too, to twist the knife.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's an F2P game so they have to make money some how. Nothing against them selling skins or micro transactions or whatever.

Problem is you don't have an option to buy what you want - the only option is a lottery for a chance to win what you want. That is exploitative.

Can't wait for the day this catches on in the real world. Go to the grocery store and pay for a chance to win a jug of milk.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. But at the end of the day, they're just cosmetics. You're not entitled to them, and you don't have to own them. But I can see the problem lies within too, such as exploiting people's lack of self control. That said, this is not APEX problem alone, thousands of games (F2P, mobile, even premium ones) share the similar mtx schemes.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
1) I find it hard to believe that this way of monetising is longterm overall effective for EA. If Fortnite has illustrated anything, it's that appearing generous goes a long way.
2) This clearly isn't 'a whole new level', this kind of rhetoric just displays ignorance of how loot boxes are and have been used in many games for many years.
3) Even though loot boxes are the biggest monetisation issue of the day, many popular game monetisation & engagement techniques are really questionable.
4) People can and do spend a fortune on microtransactions (and get addicted to the practice) even if lootboxes are not present.

It's going to be a very long road to getting this stuff into an acceptable place. I do wish that people were a bit more wary of monetisation/engagement schemes in general, rather than so heavily focused on one example which is somewhat going out of fashion.

martson2

Dec 18, 2017
Do you feel guilty for playing a free game for hundreds of hours and never giving them a dime?

If you don't want to risk a lootbox to get the skin you want, accept that you won't get that skin. It's a free to play game that will, in time, have hundreds of skins. It's ok to not have all the ones you want.

i don't need to feel guilty as I have purchased some packs and both battle passes. I generally spend around the price of a full game on each free to play game that I enjoy.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the immensely heinous shit you often come across in video game monetization (especially with mobile games), the thread title comes across as incredibly hyperbolic to me.

But it's a fucking shame, either way. I'm not huge on solos, but I was looking forward to the new skins, Pathfinder's especially. But I want to play and be rewarded with this sort of cosmetic stuff for playing well, or at least playing a lot. I'm not gonna shell out cash just to get fucking lootboxes.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
That reddit front page on Apex subreddit is rough

This is exactly what happened to Festival of the Lost in Destiny, after that they made the events more fun

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is cosmetic in Overwatch too, but those lootboxes aren't seven goddamn dollars and they let you get them through playing a reasonable amount of time.

Probably higher quality stuff, too, based on what I've seen of the Apex cosmetics.
Overwatch comparisons don't make sense when that game is not F2P.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't even that bad though. It's in line with most gacha and no dupe alone means its better than lootboxes in most similar games.
League of Legends already made some skin exclusive to lootboxes. Granted you can "farm" lootbox currency in that game, but it's also mitigated by the fact that you can get dupes. Sometimes I wonder if ResetERA is purposely being obtuse to industry trend or just rly in a bubble by itself :/

Derfy

Oct 27, 2017
The worst is that I dont find any reason to play this event. Playing everyday to get two lootboxes that can give you two shiity items is a no go for me. Business model of fortnite is so much better. And their season pass is still crap compared to fortnite. I'm sad because it's a good game and I've already give them more than overwatch which is a better game.
In fact I think I will pass on next respawn production.
I'm salty 😭

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even that bad though. It's in line with most gacha and no dupe alone means its better than lootboxes in most similar games.
League of Legends already made some skin exclusive to lootboxes. Granted you can "farm" lootbox currency in that game, but it's also mitigated by the fact that you can get dupes. Sometimes I wonder if ResetERA is purposely being obtuse to industry trend or just rly in a bubble by itself :/
Why the biggest console game in the world isn't following this trend then

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
Doesn't affect me but sucks for those who might just want one item but have to roll a dice for a chance to get it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why the biggest console game in the world isn't following this trend then

Biggest gaming market in the world is by far the mobile gaming market.
The profit from mobile gaming market buries Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo profit by multiple fold.
Clearly EA is following example from the more profitable ventures.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if Fortnite has any lootbox. Never played that game. And League of Legend is one of the biggest game in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I see people blaming EA. But hasn't is been said that a lot of dev are also complacent in these things?
It has been said, yes. It is unclear exactly how much veto power or how many options EA affords Respawn on this subject. In other words, it is unclear if *NO LOOTBOXES AT ALL* is an option for them or any other developer under EA's purview.

Maybe one of our EA employee members can shed some light on that.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Well it's cosmetics, I don't care and anyone spending much money on cosmetic should seriously think about that. Buying some smal MTX to support the dev, especially if it's a a small one, may be fine, but I don't get why people pay real cash for cosmetics.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This event which was exciting for me and a few buddies, really took a sour/depressing turn after we learned just how expensive and lackluster the rewards were going to be. We've played fully the last two season, and I've thrown a little money their way here and there because I think it's a great BR game. But, their pricing structure here just completely turned me and my friends off.

This is the absolute worst of MTX. Probably the coolest set of items we've seen to date in game, for character skins at least. Locked behind very expensive RNG while the battlepass is really lackluster.

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is that I dont find any reason to play this event. Playing everyday to get two lootboxes that can give you two shiity items is a no go for me. Business model of fortnite is so much better. And their season pass is still crap compared to fortnite. I'm sad because it's a good game and I've already give them more than overwatch which is a better game.
In fact I think I will pass on next respawn production.
I'm salty 😭
This is the biggest failure of this event. You get practically nothing for playing the game. Usually F2P MTX schemes balance between time spent grinding the system and spending real money.

Even worse is that this is called a "collection event", but there's nothing to collect by playing the game, it's all about paying money. You can pay the required $150 immediately to complete your collection and then there's nothing to do for the rest of this 2 week "event". Even Pathfinder won't have any fun.

The battle pass is an example of doing it right. Grinding it takes weekly commitments for three months which is a lot. Paying money to complete the battle pass costs around $150 which is also a lot. But you can mix both and only pay $10-20 to patch up any missed levels if you miss some of your weekly tasks. That way you also get the small spenders into paying.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
courageous contribution.

we definitely do not have 400 posts and scores of literature and videos discussing and answering that question at all that you could have reviewed, preventing you from making your post at all. nope, not at all.

I think people who say "Who cares" about cosmetic MTX mean to say "Doesn't affect me so I don't care at all and can't be bothered to or just can't empathize with those who are affected"

You wont bring them around.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Fuck any kind of lootboxes, even cosmetic ones.

This seems especially stupid since they've introduced a finite number of loot boxes for this event. Just let me pay $7 for the skin I want, why the fuck randomize it other then to pray on people who get bad rng and skins for characters they don't play.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I like these events. Kinda funny to see people online and think "wow this guy paid a lot of money to flex this hard in a videogame". Back when skins were earned you would look cool. All these paid skins will make you look like an idiot imo.