• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's going to be so interesting to watch what happens with this year's Call of Duty. Will it have a single player campaign? Will Blackout mode be part of it? If it is, will it still be $60? Will Blackout be sold separately at some point?

Pretty sure this year's COD is set in stone already. I expect campaign, competitive, zombies and BR. Next year's game might still be enough in flux for changes.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Right now I just want them to do two more things: add Solo and to make future classes free. I do not like having (gameplay altering, and do not tell me best boi Mirage is not gameplay altering!) classes behind a payment. I'm sure they'll be doing enough with the cosmetics and season passes.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game has a good shot at eating a large portion of the BR market if not outright killing some of the smaller names in the genre.

There are a handful of standout things about it, but there's two specific things I want to highlight:

1) No building mechanic like Fortnite.

—I think Fortnite's building mechanic is actually a weakness in a lot of ways, and more of a remnant of its development origins as a sort of tower defense type game than an actual "good" addition to the genre to the extent that it exists in Fortnite.

2) Surprise release with 0 pre-launch marketing.

—For this game in the current environment this was absolutely the right move. Avoids all smear potential that would happen from any sort of pre-launch info and lets the quite polished game speak for itself.
—Additionally (and perhaps more importantly), kept key design differentiations a secret from competitors until the simultaneous reveal and release, disallowing them from adopting the innovations before the game had a significant foothold in mind and marketshare.

If Respawn keeps up with GaaS continuous development, they will absolutely crush numbers with this.

Another thing to mention quick is that while the visual style is still colorful and less serious than something like PUBG, it's less whimsical than Fortnite, and will definitely have a broad appeal because of that, especially to those turned off by the visual style of the other two games.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Right now I just want them to do two more things: add Solo and to make future classes free. I do not like having (gameplay altering, and do not tell me best boi Mirage is not gameplay altering!) classes behind a payment. I'm sure they'll be doing enough with the cosmetics and season passes.
But he is free, you can unlock him by just playing the game.

Last edited:

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
You know exactly what I meant by GaaS.

A strictly single player game like Horizon, Spiderman or BotW that offers story expansion DLC does not make them comparable to Anthem, Destiny or Fortnite.
I consider every game with a stream of content GaaS, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

You are speaking strictly multiplayer.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
MXVLRfa.jpg

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what are we predicting total player count to look like by the end of this weekend? 15m? 20m? 2 mill concurrent?

(then we can have solo and 5's playlist? - Im just guessing 5's, 4 is too close to 3, and 2 is also too close to 3).

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the monetization model is fair. I'm hoping but doubting that EA/Respawn will use a model like Fortnite where you could feasibly pay for a single battle pass and roll that purchase into free battle passes going forward with in-game currency as long as you put the time in to play through the objectives of the battle pass. I think that model is great because it can keep long term costs low for some players and it can help keep the population of the game healthy and relevant as players need to continue playing if they want to maintain a free battle pass status.

However, I'm banking on EA/Respawn going with a monetization model more in line with a game like Destiny where players must continually pay $10-$15 every 3 months to participate in all of the new goodies. I think that type of monetization would be ultimately destructive to Apex's player population in the long run as people determine they aren't willing to essentially pay a subscription fee to keep playing the game if they want any sort of meaningful progression for their time spent with the game.

Do we not already have enough proof from F2P games like Fortnite and Warframe or B2P games like Rainbow Six Seige that the games that give players some wiggle room to earn premium currency through game play are the most successful model for players, developers and ultimately the game itself?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think this game has a good shot at eating a large portion of the BR market if not outright killing some of the smaller names in the genre.

There are a handful of standout things about it, but there's two specific things I want to highlight:

1) No building mechanic like Fortnite.

—I think Fortnite's building mechanic is actually a weakness in a lot of ways, and more of a remnant of its development origins as a sort of tower defense type game than an actual "good" addition to the genre to the extent that it exists in Fortnite.

2) Surprise release with 0 pre-launch marketing.

—For this game in the current environment this was absolutely the right move. Avoids all smear potential that would happen from any sort of pre-launch info and lets the quite polished game speak for itself.
—Additionally (and perhaps more importantly), kept key design differentiations a secret from competitors until the simultaneous reveal and release, disallowing them from adopting the innovations before the game had a significant foothold in mind and marketshare.

If Respawn keeps up with GaaS continuous development, they will absolutely crush numbers with this.

Another thing to mention quick is that while the visual style is still colorful and less serious than something like PUBG, it's less whimsical than Fortnite, and will definitely have a broad appeal because of that, especially to those turned off by the visual style of the other two games.
I pretty much agree with the first point wholly. I feel like the building now requires you to have such a high level skill and throws in so many different situations that it can complicate the game.

2nd point is also important. Epic adapts very very easily when it comes to Fortnite. It doesnt surprise me that they kept this a secret.

I am going to give this a try tonight on my PC. Looks solid. Just wish they had a solo mode. Teaming up with 2 different random players is meh.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
But he is free, you can unlock him by just playing the game.
It's not free. It's behind a monetary or a time (grind) payment. 750 Apex Points or 12000 tokens. That must be somewhere between 10-14 hours playing the game per class unlock. And you can't buy the exact amount of Apex points with money to buy both classes. They're using the same strategy Sony used (uses?) with store credit so you never end up with a net 0 balance.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not free. It's behind a monetary or a time (grind) payment. 750 Apex Points or 12000 tokens. That must be somewhere between 10-14 hours playing the game per class unlock. And you can't buy the exact amount of Apex points with money to buy both classes. They're using the same strategy Sony used (uses?) with store credit so you never end up with a net 0 balance.

10 hours for an operator is a fair grind for a F2P game.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
But it is free, free is free.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
So you are counting your time investment into a videogame as actual money? Man Final Fantasy games have been fucking expensive then getting those ultimate weapons whew.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

10 hrs is not bad at all. The game is free to play, and are you not enjoying your time with it? I haven't spent a dime on it and having a blast. I just spent $30 to go see a less than 2 hr movie, I'm getting tons of hours of nonstop enjoyment from Apex Legeneds and hasn't cost me anything. I'll soon have enough in game currency to get my new legend unlock.

At same time, I feel like I should be rewarding Respawn with my money for giving me entertainment

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Still free. 10-15 hours is a good time to unlock. If you care enough to unlock every character, you probably play enough to unlock the characters and then some.

They'll release new characters every 3 months. If you don't play 10-15 hours in 3 months, you probably won't care about unlocking the latest characters.

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
Every game does it, even Siege does it. It sucks but it seems the standard moving forward.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I was about to make specific quotes but I've been quoted a lot of times, so I'll use this as a general reply:

I do not think it's fair when that (buying character classes) is on top of the Season Pass, the loot boxes and the cosmetic microtransaction. One takes way from the others.

No I do not count my time investment as money. I'm counting it as a time investment, and that is more important for me sometimes than money. The game is fun and I'll probably play it for quite a few hundred hours. I'm happy with the game. I'm not happy with game altering stuff behind payments or time commitments on top or so many other ways of monetization.

No, I do not like the Siege model of locking Operators behind a payment either. That creates unbalances too and it's my main gripe with Siege. Being Standard does not mean it's fine.

And now I'm off for the weekend. All of you have fun and enjoy the game!

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in this game or BR type games but I gotta say it is really impressive what they were able to achieve here.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
My question is how will the player base look in a few months once the more dedicated players take over and the casual players leave?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to make specific quotes but I've been quoted a lot of times, so I'll use this as a general reply:

I do not think it's fair when that (buying character classes) is on top of the Season Pass, the loot boxes and the cosmetic microtransaction. One takes way from the others.

No, the game is fun and I'll probably play it for quite a few hundred hours. I'm happy with the game. I'm not happy behind game altering stuff behind payments or time commitments.

No, I do not like the Siege model of locking Operators behind a payment either. That creates unbalances too and it's my main gripe with Siege. Being Standard does not mean it's fine.

It doesn't create unbalances. There's no reason to want the latest operators if you haven't spent your time with the currently-unlocked ones. And if you have, you'll have more than enough to unlock whomever you want.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It is free. Someone like me who doesn't care about all that shit can pop in and out without spending a dime.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Hello ResetEra!

It's been a surreal few days for us. We love Apex and a big motivation for shipping it was just so we could finally go home and play it outside of playtests but wow. The response has been so overwhelming. I'm doing a million things right now and won't be able to answer many questions or talk with you all as much as I would like right now but, I just wanted to say thank you to this community.

I know everyone was super skeptical when the leak happened and I totally get that. I would have been too! Thanks so much for still giving us and Apex and chance. I've read many of the threads and OT and so have lots of folks on the team. We put so much of ourselves into the game and it was so hard to be so secretive about it, so it's really validating to see players enjoying it as much as we do.

So thanks for giving Apex a shot, thank you for all the kind words, the feedback, and the support. We're listening to it all.

Now we got a lot of work to do! Can't wait till you see all the stuff the team is jamming for this year.

Just popping in to say you and the team made a kickass game and deserve all the praise/success. Congrats dude.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that some of the most successful games tend to have some of the most generic/fake video game sounding names? lol. Congrats to Respawn as they deserve all of the success in the world as Titanfall 1&2 are two of my three favorite FPS games released in the past 10 years (Doom 2016 being the third game). Unfortunately between my growing disinterest in PVP in shooters (especially class based PVP that emphasizes teamwork), the lack of some of the major things I like about the Titanfall series, and my complete and utter indifference towards battle royale... I'm just never going to touch this (based on these numbers it sounds like I very much wont be missed. lol). If I ever did get into any Battle Royale games Apex Legends certainly holds the most appeal for me personally but that style of game just really doesn't hold much appeal for me. It seems well made and I'm glad people are enjoying it but I really hope the success of this game actually will increase the chances of a Titanfall 3 eventually being made instead of almost certainly killing any chances of that game being made.

Anyway, I wonder what this means for Battle Royale games in general? PUBG maybe wasn't as white hot as Fortnite but it seemed to still be quietly very successful. It'll be interesting to see how many of the 10 million players they manage to retain (or if they blow past 10 mil). Even for someone who is not interested in this game it'll at least be interesting to see how it develops throughout the year.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Hello ResetEra!

It's been a surreal few days for us. We love Apex and a big motivation for shipping it was just so we could finally go home and play it outside of playtests but wow. The response has been so overwhelming. I'm doing a million things right now and won't be able to answer many questions or talk with you all as much as I would like right now but, I just wanted to say thank you to this community.

I know everyone was super skeptical when the leak happened and I totally get that. I would have been too! Thanks so much for still giving us and Apex and chance. I've read many of the threads and OT and so have lots of folks on the team. We put so much of ourselves into the game and it was so hard to be so secretive about it, so it's really validating to see players enjoying it as much as we do.

So thanks for giving Apex a shot, thank you for all the kind words, the feedback, and the support. We're listening to it all.

Now we got a lot of work to do! Can't wait till you see all the stuff the team is jamming for this year.
Congrats! Respawn makes great games so you guys deserve the praise. Apex seems very well made & it seems to be getting the love it deserves so you all should be really proud! I have no idea how development for a live game works but I really hope you all get to rest or celebrate or something. lol

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I think the grind/pay for classes is okay FOR NOW.

There's only two that you have to unlock out of a total of 8 characters right now and that's not so bad.

We'll see how it stands when we're much further in the game's lifespan like R6: Siege or League of Legends and it becomes necessary to have a wider pool of options to play as. Hopefully they don't fall into the traps those games made for themselves, locking new players out without paying or grinding an absurd amount.

The Dota 2 model is preferable when it comes to new heroes/classes (all characters free, only charge is for cosmetics), especially for latecomers to a game. I can't really commit to League or Heroes of the Storm, for example, over Dota 2 at this point because the barrier to entry with most heroes locked behind a pay or grind wall is too off-putting, even if I wanted to give those games a fair shake. A rotating pool of free classes isn't the answer either.

Why would I ever switch from Dota 2, a game I have over 1000 hours in, to try something else in the genre, if the gameplay experience is going to be negatively impacted simply because I'm new to the game X years in?

As for different game mode options -- I think a solo mode or something besides just teams of 3 will have to come eventually. The team of 3 dynamic makes sense and works well with how the game was designed for the moment (the respawning stuff in particular), but it would be nice to have some option that just lets you play alone or with different sized teams, even if the mode is very different and not considered the core focus. Launching the game polished with teams of 3 in mind is perfectly fine though, especially with how good the non-verbal communication is. The ping/callout system is maybe the best I've seen in any game, except for maybe Dota 2. Enough that you can quite reasonably play with friends or randoms without ever needing to use any voice or text chat, even if you don't speak the same native language. It's quite a feat, and I'm sure took a lot of time to nail, especially with how much is contextual.

Jan 10, 2018
I work at a youth club and practically everyone is playing this right now. We played with two squads this afternoon and it was a blast.

I still suck at it though...

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I consider every game with a stream of content GaaS, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

You are speaking strictly multiplayer.
GaaS is a new term that started this gen with Destiny. Single player games with expansions have been existing since the 90s. Or do you considered Age of Empires II a GaaS too even though it had multiplayer as well?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
GaaS is a new term that started this gen with Destiny. Single player games with expansions have been existing since the 90s. Or do you considered Age of Empires II a GaaS too even though it had multiplayer as well?
Pretty sure Ubisoft themselves consider the last two Assassin's Creed games GaaS and those are big single player games with expansions (among micro transactions). Square considers their treatment of FF15 as GaaS. At this point it basically means any game that plans to be supported with continuous new content for a year or more.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
all right era- who is going to be the "ninja" of this game? i hope its one of us.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Ubisoft themselves consider the last two Assassin's Creed games GaaS and those are big single player games with expansions (among micro transactions). Square considers their treatment of FF15 as GaaS. At this point it basically means any game that plans to be supported with continuous new content for a year or more.
Yes! A single player games can be GaaS and one very distinctive reason why AC is one and Horizon, Spiderman, and BotW aren't is because AC has a revenue model that's designed for constant monetization.

No I'm not talking about single purchase story expansions. I'm talking the micro transactions present in AC that are most definitely NOT present on Horizon, Spiderman or BotW.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
all right era- who is going to be the "ninja" of this game? i hope its one of us.

At this point it could be anyone, but it would probably be someone who's already pretty popular who just decides to stick with this game for awhile. The bunch that's biggest into BRs and the like seem to pick up shooters pretty easily anyway and move between them relatively fluidly. Some games are just easy to pick up for people with experience in the genre, while other games require a lot more time and dedication to reach higher levels of skill and/or popularity.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that some of the most successful games tend to have some of the most generic/fake video game sounding names? lol. Congrats to Respawn as they deserve all of the success in the world as Titanfall 1&2 are two of my three favorite FPS games released in the past 10 years (Doom 2016 being the third game). Unfortunately between my growing disinterest in PVP in shooters (especially class based PVP that emphasizes teamwork), the lack of some of the major things I like about the Titanfall series, and my complete and utter indifference towards battle royale... I'm just never going to touch this (based on these numbers it sounds like I very much wont be missed. lol). If I ever did get into any Battle Royale games Apex Legends certainly holds the most appeal for me personally but that style of game just really doesn't hold much appeal for me. It seems well made and I'm glad people are enjoying it but I really hope the success of this game actually will increase the chances of a Titanfall 3 eventually being made instead of almost certainly killing any chances of that game being made.

Anyway, I wonder what this means for Battle Royale games in general? PUBG maybe wasn't as white hot as Fortnite but it seemed to still be quietly very successful. It'll be interesting to see how many of the 10 million players they manage to retain (or if they blow past 10 mil). Even for someone who is not interested in this game it'll at least be interesting to see how it develops throughout the year.
You should give it a go, it holds some of Titanfalls heart within in it still.

It's basically hunger games within the Titanfall universe while the world is at war.

This trailer gives a reason for the Apex Legends story

https://youtu.be/innmNewjkuk

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
In fairness you can unlock him without paying pretty easily. 12,000 credits. I've only played it too evenings and I've 9,000 already. I like the fact the way I'm not just leveling up for the sake of it but also to unlock cool things.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it could be anyone, but it would probably be someone who's already pretty popular who just decides to stick with this game for awhile. The bunch that's biggest into BRs and the like seem to pick up shooters pretty easily anyway and move between them relatively fluidly. Some games are just easy to pick up for people with experience in the genre, while other games require a lot more time and dedication to reach higher levels of skill and/or popularity.

Someone here shared a clip of that guy Shroud (Or something like that) playing the game and yeah... crazy shit.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Pfft, Mirage isn't even the best paid character!

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. None of the BR games were appealing to me at all but this one looked really good. So good that it actually got me to put Origin back on my PC which I didn't think I would do for any game.

I had a lot of fun in my first few matches. The game is insanely polished and you can tell a lot of thought and care was put into this. I'm looking forward to putting in more time with it over the weekend.