• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Right now I just want them to do two more things: add Solo and to make future classes free. I do not like having (gameplay altering, and do not tell me best boi Mirage is not gameplay altering!) classes behind a payment. I'm sure they'll be doing enough with the cosmetics and season passes.

Solo would fundamentally alter the game on so many levels as to cause big issues.

So much of the game is designed around and predicated on team based play - one of the shoulder buttons is exclusively a communication tool. The revive and respawn mechanics. Legends like Lifeline or Mirage who have abilities that only work on downed allies or being downed.

That's not even taking into account legend balancing. Some would be OP in solo (Bloodhound) some would be very much less so.

I genuinely hope they don't alter the game too much too quickly based on knee jerk reactions. Deathmatch in Overwatch sucks because taking team-based classes from a team based game and throwing them in a single player mode doesn't work. And it wouldn't work much better here.

Apex is very much designed, from the ground up, around fireteams.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I just want them to do two more things: add Solo and to make future classes free. I do not like having (gameplay altering, and do not tell me best boi Mirage is not gameplay altering!) classes behind a payment. I'm sure they'll be doing enough with the cosmetics and season passes.

I mean technically it is free, just progression locked.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If they're smart they'll just copy the Siege model. Keep future unlocks payable but offer a season pass or something.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

If you want free characters, then it'd need to be an up-front payment like Overwatch. Or maybe these characters become free after a period of time (3, 6 months)?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Probably mixed.

"Hey -- They took the spotlight from Anthem!"
"Yea, but after the demo perhaps that's for the best."

heh.

If you want free characters, then it'd need to be an up-front payment like Overwatch. Or maybe these characters become free after a period of time (3, 6 months)?

I think making the unlockable/DLC characters free or significantly discounted after the season they're introduced in would certainly help a lot in keeping the playerbase at a more even level. But there's plenty of ways they could go with it -- other games out there with various models, some more generous, some less so. Depends on how greedy they are. I'm pretty against the "rotating free hero pool" option like League and HotS have too. Siege's model isn't great, but that's also a "premium" paid game, so sightly more tolerable in that context.

Leaning into cosmetics is the best option, but I think companies have to be really careful with lootboxes these days, even if they just have cosmetics in them.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
A few days before apex was released my 14 year old step daughter was telling me how fortnite was no longer cool and that none of her school friends were very interested in playing it anymore. Today she just asked me if I knew about apex and said that all her friends are now playing it.

I think respawn released this game at the perfect moment and in the perfect way. I foresee this game to be quite successful for at least 2 years.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
all right era- who is going to be the "ninja" of this game? i hope its one of us.

There won't be one, as in a streamer who goes from 1,000 to 50,000 views...all the big FPS/BR streamers were in on this Day 1, and they'll all be good at it, as there is no new wacky mechanic (building) to master.

Shroud, Doc, Ninja, Tim, Summit etc will be on top, same mid tier guys, Lupo , Courage etc.

I'd like to see RealKrafty or TSM_Viss double / triple their normal views though, both really watchable and stupid good at FPSs

A few days before apex was released my 14 year old step daughter was telling me how fortnite was no longer cool and that none of her school friends were very interested in playing it anymore. Today she just asked me if I knew about apex and said that all her friends are now playing it.

I think respawn released this game at the perfect moment and in the perfect way. I foresee this game to be quite successful for at least 2 years.

My kids have also faded on FN, they are 8 and 10, I see them back in Roblox and Minecraft more and more.

(Roblox's games are actually getting kinda good now, my son plays a GTA clone in it, its weird to see how far they've progressed)

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Are the "hero" characters in Fortnite at all compelling? Because Apex really hit it out of the park with their inaugural roster.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

I definitely think that's a big part of the appeal of Apex as well. It's slightly more mature, and less whimsical than Fortnite, which will capture the attention of particularly younger folk who have "outgrown" Fortnite at this point. Besides all the other things it does really well. Fortnite seems to have always been a little less serious and may have jumped the shark for a lot of people by now. Apex is still less serious/more colorful/more polished than PUBG too. CoD's Blackout was in a similar space to Apex, but that game had enough flaws (in addition to not being F2P) that made it not catch on. Blackout and PUBG are also rated M, whereas Apex and Fortnite are rated T (with the ESRB at least) and that can make a pretty big difference as well.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
Without a doubt my favourite BR game so far.

It's really out me off Fortnite too. I wonder how many others have moved from Fortnite to Apex Legends.

I tried BO4 BR mode but I really didn't enjoy it.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The numbers are incredible, but I think they need to lean hard into the challenges and map updates like Fortnite has to sustain the player base.

Having challenges to go after around the map in Fortnite is half of the fun for me imo. Especially the wacky ones which don't really have much to do with the core gameplay. I reckon in Apex they could be really creative with the challenges!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Won first game earlier, Albeit the 2 randoms i was with carried it. Is there no way of seeing your progress at all? Just onto the next one and thats it?

Fun BR and it will do until Anthem/Division 2 come out, It did hard crash on me earlier, Just as i got an exotic weapon off the supply drop.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sorry if it's been answered already, but is there a way to view the current momentum of the game somewhere? Such as concurrent players on one or all platforms. I assume only Respawn knows the Unique User count. Or if that none of that user info is available are there particular Twitch streams to look at viewer count to maybe extrapolate to popularity?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's been answered already, but is there a way to view the current momentum of the game somewhere? Such as concurrent players on one or all platforms. I assume only Respawn knows the Unique User count. Or if that none of that user info is available are there particular Twitch streams to look at viewer count to maybe extrapolate to popularity?

Some account/downloads/concurrent numbers have been posted on twitter at least. Something like over 1million concurrent and 10mil+ users in less than 3 days?

And just look at the Twitch main game directory and compare to other categories. It has been doubling if not tripling up Fortnite consistently this week so far since launch. Let alone compared to other games. Now a lot is hype, surely, but if it was a bust you wouldn't see numbers anywhere near that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Some account/downloads/concurrent numbers have been posted on twitter at least. Something like over 1million concurrent and 10mil+ users in less than 3 days?

And just look at the Twitch main game directory and compare to other categories. It has been doubling if not tripling up Fortnite consistently this week so far since launch. Let alone compared to other games. Now a lot is hype, surely, but if it was a bust you wouldn't see numbers anywhere near that.
So there's nothing in game or in Origin that shows concurrent players? IIRC Steam has that. I've seen the EA and Respawn news when concurrent was at 600K then 1M, but who knows when the next official update might be. I'm hoping for some way to estimate it in the meantime.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
So there's nothing in game or in Origin that shows concurrent players? IIRC Steam has that. I've seen the EA and Respawn news when concurrent was at 600K then 1M, but who knows when the next official update might be. I'm hoping for some way to estimate it in the meantime.

I'm not sure of anything that's more direct in-game or in-client, but for multiplayer-oriented titles, Twitch can be a pretty good indicator if you know how to interpret it, and signs point to Apex being red hot, at least at the moment.

Otherwise a decent indicator would be match queue time, and from what I've seen it's basically instant in finding 60 people for a match. Most of the time involved seems to be a masked loading screen. It helps that I don't think there's more than the one game mode queue or anything right now sure, but getting a full 60 players near instantly is quite something.

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. I'm not a huge BR fan, but I enjoyed Titanfall 2. Glad to see Respawn have success with this. I hope this translates into more Titanfall somehow in the future.

unAimed

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any predictions if and what numbers we'll get after the weekend? Is 20 million far fetched?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Concurrent is more important than UU. Potentially every Fortnite player could try the game for an hour then go back to Fortnite, yet they'd be counted forever as unique users.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't like the game but congrats Respawn.

And I'd like to point out the middle mouse ping thing for several actions in the game is really clever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the game but congrats Respawn.

And I'd like to point out the middle mouse ping thing for several actions in the game is really clever.

This is a mechanic pvp/co-op players have been asking for in their games forever. Every game I've been a part of this has been suggested by players, it's one of those "how did it take this long" mechanics.

Really hoping other devs copy it in future. Playing other games without it now feels like I've lost a limb.

Are the "hero" characters in Fortnite at all compelling? Because Apex really hit it out of the park with their inaugural roster.

The heroes in Fortnite are only present for the co-op pve game Save the World, ie: the original game before BR was added on. It's nothing like this.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I wonder what is hardware share of 1mil players? I guess something like
40%PS4
30% Xbox
30% PC

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this game (and for free!) till this thread caught my attention. Shows how secret/quiet Apex Legends was.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be, how does Dice feel about this? Apex is F2P with squad base up to 60 players, BFV BR is little over 5 weeks out, also squad base, 64 players, but you have to pay to play...
I think if you have to pay to play you've already lost. When you have quality free games like Fortnite and now AL, there isn't going to be a lot of room for paid crap. At this point it'd have to be really damn good I think to make any impact.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Wait, so EA will have 2 BR games releasing around Anthem.... Well, I guess Bioware will have to deal with it but that's a shitty situation.
It's a BR mode for Battlefield 5, with BFV you have other modes to play, but i feel like EA just shit on their own game since it didn't perform like previous BF titles, Dice gonna release BR mode too very little fanfare since you have to buy BFV.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Very well deserved and I hope those numbers only keep growing. I much prefer Apex to Fortnite

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It's a BR mode for Battlefield 5, with BFV you have other modes to play, but i feel like EA just shit on their own game since it didn't perform like previous BF titles, Dice gonna release BR mode too very little fanfare since you have to buy BFV.

I hope they are smart enough to release it standalone or something. BFV's BR is clearly like Blackout in that it's just an addition to sell units for this game title only. But at least Blackout has had a functioning BR game since launch

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After years of giant chasing, EA might have finally done it.

They might have finally come after the giant of a genre and have taken the crown.

2019 might actually be Year of the Apex.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Find a group on the discord and group up. Playing with a well organized team is really fun. Playing solo in a team based game can be frustrating when things don't work out.

I've had zero problems with playing with random players. Maybe it's my mindset, but when things don't work out, as in, winning or even getting close to winning I just dust myself off and try again. It takes like a minute to get back into a game after dying. Not very frustrating at all.

10/10 times if I speak on the mic the other two random players will too. I've even added some random people to my friends list to continue squading up.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what records this will break this weekend.

20+ million total and 2+ million concurrent is possible.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
when was this ever in question? The genre has been beasting since pubg in terms of commercial success.

Many people have been saying new BR games can't be successful because they can't compete with Fortnite and PUBG. As recently as last week I was debating with someone here saying that.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Should be, how does Dice feel about this? Apex is F2P with squad base up to 60 players, BFV BR is little over 5 weeks out, also squad base, 64 players, but you have to pay to play...

yeah, this is not as big a blow to anthem as a lot of people think imo. anthem is entirely pve and gunning for a different audience, but dice has an actual BR mode in the pipe that was probably their hail-mary attempt at saving BFV's image