• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I played my first few games last night, the game feels amazing to play and seems really well optimised already. I can see myself playing a lot more of this to be honest.

Dude is straight absurd at FPS games. Some of the shots he makes are unreal.

I don't normally watch Shroud a lot, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this game so I just tuned in for his first Apex game today. Of course he destroyed the last 2 full squads by himself and got 22 kills...it's crazy to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
After years of giant chasing, EA might have finally done it.

They might have finally come after the giant of a genre and have taken the crown.

2019 might actually be Year of the Apex.

I'm not even remotely in the target audience for this game and can't speak for it as a player, but I've been absolutely floored to witness this launch, purely from the standpoint of strategy. It's the cleanest launch I can remember seeing out of anything under the EA umbrella. It's early days yet, and we'll have to see if these streaming numbers that have knocked Fortnite down to third or fourth on Twitch all week will hold up past the launch-period bandwagon optimism and sponsored exposure, but all I can think of is what a totally different universe we're in from the EA that seriously hoped SWTOR would be a WoW killer.

And to call it a would-be Fortnite killer is underselling it. Respawn moved on this quickly, when PUBG was still king, and they didn't blink when Fortnite took over and took BR to what, from the outside, might have looked like a genre saturation point with no room left for new contenders.

This is a launch that will be studied, closely, in and out of EA: agile, modern, and totally coordinated, none of them traits we associate with the industry's lumbering AAA behemoths.

yeah, this is not as big a blow to anthem as a lot of people think imo. anthem is entirely pve and gunning for a different audience, but dice has an actual BR mode in the pipe that was probably their hail-mary attempt at saving BFV's image

More to the point, on the PC side, this is probably the biggest thing EA has ever done to get everyone on Origin if they didn't have it installed already, and keep them there with the launcher open day to day, just in time for Anthem to show up. As we know from all the shenanigans with Epic, a sizeable segment of PC players resent even looking at anything outside of Steam, and up to this point Origin was yet another background inconvenience they rarely had to think about.

I don't see where all the doom and gloom about kneecapping BioWare is coming from. If Anthem stumbles, it'll be its own damned fault. It stands to gain from Apex's success far more than it stands to lose.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Part of me is super curious how many people either went back into or created their Origin account just for Apex Legends this week

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't normally watch Shroud a lot, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this game so I just tuned in for his first Apex game today. Of course he destroyed the last 2 full squads by himself and got 22 kills...it's crazy to watch.
to me it looks like Shroud is a more skilled shooter gamer than Ninja

Ninja's aim doesn't seem quite as good as Shroud's

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Is 15 million reached during the weekend possible?

Could be way higher than that.
When a game is free, throw every existing model out the window, especially if it goes viral. This game hasn't even gone viral in the mainstream yet.
Just wait until you see this game being referenced on youtube skits, late night television and various tv shows.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Yeah Shroud is a beast but I'm not sure he has the marketability that Ninja does.

Is Ninja really marketable though?
I tried to watch him once and all he did was complain that he didn't have as many viewers as he should have "according to the twitch metrics" all the while having 150k viewers. It was really weird to watch.

I haven't tried to watch Shroud yet due to his avatar putting me off big time, is he watchable or is there a lot of screaming and the like?

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to watch him once and all he did was complain that he didn't have as many viewers as he should have "according to the twitch metrics" all the while having 150k viewers. It was really weird to watch.

I haven't tried to watch Shroud yet due to his avatar putting me off big time, is he watchable or is there a lot of screaming and the like?
He is basically the opposite of a loud streamer
Some people acuse him of having no personality because of it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
He is basically the opposite of a loud streamer
Some people acuse him of having no personality because of it.

Oh.. That's very much at odds with his avatar..
I'll tune in when I go to bed and check him out then :)

Edit: you were right, he's actually quite chill to watch. This is good bed-time tv!

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh.. That's very much at odds with his avatar..
I'll tune in when I go to bed and check him out then :)
"W" avatars and emotes with extremely zoomed in pictures of the streamer's face is a normal part of Twitch. I think Sodapoppin might have been the one to start it.

The only really annoying part of shroud's stream is his constant "Where the fuck I am" sub sound that goes off every 10 seconds.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
After reaching level 16 on PS4 with friends I really wanna get this on PC now. I can't hit shit with a controller.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Fortnite back to #1 on Twitch. There seems to be a lot of speculation about EA having paid the top streamers for their time and their tweets. Is that true? IIRC by law they have to disclose that, but I never saw the first few days streams. Were they paid?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite back to #1 on Twitch. There seems to be a lot of speculation about EA having paid the top streamers for their time and their tweets. Is that true? IIRC by law they have to disclose that, but I never saw the first few days streams. Were they paid?
I mean, there's some small European tourny with like 160k+ for Fortnite at the moment. Dunno where it came from or what it really is.

Streamers play whatever's big and new. Also, some did disclose that they were paid sponsors day 1.

Edit: There's 160k+ people watching some guy watching someone else play with a stretched screen (that shit where they play at 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor, making players appear to be larger targets). Dunno what the hell this stream is.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
There's a 150k viewer fortnite stream of a guy watching other people's fortnite videos lmao what.

Ismailman

Oct 29, 2017
This game is already doing Fortnite numbers at least on Xbox. My proxy for this is LFG.

During the times that I play PUBG is usually between 300-400 LFG posts. Blackops first weekend was 1600. Fortnite is 3300. Apex is at 2600 and going up.

It's gonna pull Blackout players, PUBG players, Fortnite players and non-BR players.

If they want it to be Fortnite mainstream though they'll need to get it on mobile.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is already doing Fortnite numbers at least on Xbox. My proxy for this is LFG.

During the times that I play PUBG is usually between 300-400 LFG posts. Blackops first weekend was 1600. Fortnite is 3300. Apex is at 2600 and going up.

It's gonna pull Blackout players, PUBG players, Fortnite players and non-BR players.

If they want it to be Fortnite mainstream though they'll need to get it on mobile.
It'll never be Fortnite mainstream.
Not even a third of it, it doesn't have the visual appeal.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

They were marked with #ad or #ApexPartner for the first few days. But anyone playing now is doing so because they want to.

Fortnite is only #1 beause of the EU tourney and some german dude has 155k views somehow.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm feeling pretty close with this game to how I felt back when I played COD:MW multiplayer for the first time. I don't know why but I have this feeling of everything working as it should work.

That said, I need a Bangalore design with different hair. Something that doesn't look like fat noodles. Something that doesn't look like N'Sync Justin Timberlake.

Oct 27, 2017
No there's a euro tourney going ok with 170k viewers. Ninja is streaming apex right now and has 80k viewers

People like lyric dr disrespect weren't really playing fortnite it any specific game anyway. So then playing apex which is the newest game is t out of the usual. Plus if EA were paying them they'd say so. When EA hired everybody to play battlefield V they all disclosed it

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I haven't played any of them, however aren't all the others solo games whereas Apex is squad based? I wonder if an lfg comparison is a bit apples to oranges.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Apex is also going to pull Overwatch players. It's already pulling a bunch of bigger Overwatch streamers.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
It'll never be Fortnite mainstream.
Not even a third of it, it doesn't have the visual appeal.

You say that, but I think Fortnite is actually in a much worse position than you think. Fortnite is whimsical to the point of being easily mockable and ignorable by anyone over a certain age. Apex has a very broad appeal without being too serious or too childish.

And yeah, Fortnite being back at #1 right now today on Twitch is more a fluke than people dropping Apex. There's some weird tournament or something going on with a single stream that has 170k+ viewers. Any game can be big momentarily if a massive streamer plays it, or there's some tournament/event going on. Games Done Quick pulls insane numbers for oddball game speedruns, WoW can (and did) hit over 100k during the world first races (among other tournaments), etc. League of Legends numbers inflate when there's tournaments on, and so on. It's one of the main things you have to account for if gauging popularity via Twitch (especially for multiplayer titles).

And tournaments typically happen or conclude on weekends, so peak numbers for Saturday and Sunday any given week aren't indicative of consistent popularity. It'd be like asking why NFL viewership is low on days besides Sunday.

You really have to watch the day in, day out numbers adjusted for all other factors that would cause distortion. For Apex, yeah I'm sure streamers were sponsored to play initially for the first day at least, but it seems to be a massive viral success so far by all factors that I'm seeing. Pumping money into ads or sponsorships to get people to play your game isn't going to work if the game is shit anyway. Dumping money on a bad game might get some sales, but it'll expose a vast audience to its flaws as well without them having to spend a dime.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Apex is also going to pull Overwatch players. It's already pulling a bunch of bigger Overwatch streamers.
Seagull is getting more viewers than his OW streams.

Imo this is easily the most entertaining BR as a viewer, due to the pacing and gameplay variety.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When you posted this did you look at why that is? It's way more telling Ninja had almost 100K today playing Apex.

Nov 18, 2017
I think this will have legs especially when the battle passes and new content drops.

It honestly just feels great to play and it's my top priority game right now.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but I think Fortnite is actually in a much worse position than you think. Fortnite is whimsical to the point of being easily mockable and ignorable by anyone over a certain age. Apex has a very broad appeal without being too serious or too childish.
I wouldn't underestimate the look of Fortnite. That style makes is easy to sell merchandise in grocery stores similar to Minecraft.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not much of Twitch watcher at all but Shroud is my type, just plays the game, talks about game weapons or what not, isn't loud nor foul mouthed to extremes, just chatting and playing along like one of your mates so you can actually take it in if you can follow his speed, he is impressive. Doesn't seem to have lots of branding plastered everywhere or looks for it either which is fine. I really have almost zero time for anyone else that deviates from that.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And yeah, Fortnite being back at #1 right now today on Twitch is more a fluke than people dropping Apex. There's some weird tournament or something going on with a single stream that has 170k+ viewers. Any game can be big momentarily if a massive streamer plays it, or there's some tournament/event going on. Games Done Quick pulls insane numbers for oddball game speedruns, WoW can (and did) hit over 100k during the world first races (among other tournaments), etc. League of Legends numbers inflate when there's tournaments on, and so on. It's one of the main things you have to account for if gauging popularity via Twitch (especially for multiplayer titles).

And tournaments typically happen or conclude on weekends, so peak numbers for Saturday and Sunday any given week aren't indicative of consistent popularity. It'd be like asking why NFL viewership is low on days besides Sunday.

You really have to watch the day in, day out numbers adjusted for all other factors that would cause distortion. For Apex, yeah I'm sure streamers were sponsored to play initially for the first day at least, but it seems to be a massive viral success so far by all factors that I'm seeing. Pumping money into ads or sponsorships to get people to play your game isn't going to work if the game is shit anyway. Dumping money on a bad game might get some sales, but it'll expose a vast audience to its flaws as well without them having to spend a dime.
No you don't get it, if parents see Fortnite it's just like Minecraft, they have no second thoughts about their kids playing it. When they see Apex, they see another military shooter, and so they might question it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Shroud is a beast but I'm not sure he has the marketability that Ninja does.

Shroud is in a HyperX commercial with Embiid and Gordan Hayward
to me it looks like Shroud is a more skilled shooter gamer than Ninja

Ninja's aim doesn't seem quite as good as Shroud's

Of course, Shrould was a pro CS player and has been playing on PC from the get go. Ninja is older but came up playing Halo on console.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Shroud is in a HyperX commercial with Embiid and Gordan Hayward

Of course, Shrould was a pro CS player and has been playing on PC from the get go. Ninja is older but came up playing Halo on console.
I have nothing against Shroud and enjoy watching him play just for the pure skill that he displays but while sure he has marketability in gaming, he does not have the mass market appeal that someone like Ninja does for a few reasons.

1. He is not family friendly and I don't think he will make the effort to do so.
2. While I don't mind his commentary style, he does not have a unique enough personality to appeal to mass market.
3. He doesn't use social media as much as other top streamers which undoubtedly leads to less exposure outside of Twitch.

Surely Shroud can dominate Twitch and such but I don't think he'll be appearing on talk shows or NFL commericals, etc which there isn't anything wrong with but that is what it will take to be "the next Ninja".

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017