• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm not much of Twitch watcher at all but Shroud is my type, just plays the game, talks about game weapons or what not, isn't loud nor foul mouthed to extremes, just chatting and playing along like one of your mates so you can actually take it in if you can follow his speed, he is impressive. Doesn't seem to have lots of branding plastered everywhere or looks for it either which is fine. I really have almost zero time for anyone else that deviates from that.

Yep, I've been watching him a bit now and he's actually quite nice :)
It's just so rare to see twitch streamers being popular and have a nice demeanour.

There are Ninja shirts at WalMart and my parents know who Ninja is. He's got the biggest reach of any streamer on Twitch right now I would say.

Yeah I guess people have different views than me.
I would actually be more negative towards a product if he was fronting it. But then again any commercials makes me more negative towards a product.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
whatt? no way that's going to go well. Chat hates when streamers stream different games, let a lone sports ball.
I think it's stupid as hell but apparently some other streamer did something like this and it was a hit so the NFL is having Ninja do it too. Either way he's getting paid

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when chat represents the majority of people? I think that's a genius idea and a ton of people are going to watch that. They should also do it with more streamers that target older audiences.
Well it's not just the chat, it usually equates to a lot less viewers.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
11th most played game on xbox behind pubg at 10. Fortnite is still number 1. Curious to see if it climbs higher. Pubg usually floats between 8 and 15 on the list.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Flash

Oct 27, 2017

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
No you don't get it, if parents see Fortnite it's just like Minecraft, they have no second thoughts about their kids playing it. When they see Apex, they see another military shooter, and so they might question it.

I see no reason why Apex couldn't have merchandising as successful as at least Overwatch. Which might be less than the children's market penetration of Minecraft and Fortnite, but children don't have much money to control themselves, so...

Not sure if that makes a massive difference in actual profit.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
At least on PC if it gets people onto Origin and they keep pushing Origin Premiere Access it should actually help their numbers.

Yeah I think Anthem might be buoyed by Apex's success, more than hindered by it as an effect of getting many more people back or installing Origin for the first time. If Anthem doesn't do well, it'll be completely on itself, as coming in after Apex on Origin right now is like getting the TV timeslot right after the Super Bowl or something.

And organizations like the NFL dumping probably stupid amounts of money on people like Ninja is just kinda dumb, but that's because he's visible, and anyone with that much visibility is almost assuredly going to be overpriced. But since companies and organization don't have the expertise to understand things outside of their own domain, you often see them just paying already big names for whatever cross-exposure, even if it's not the wisest use of money. (See - Disney licensing Star Wars to EA for games right now, among dozens of other questionable examples of similar business arrangements.)

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
If anything Apex Legends perfect timing release got people to stay on the Origin platform. EA got everyone on PC to install Origin for Anthem. EA must be happy with daily active users on Origin currently. Keep the population in the same ecosystem and they'll float between games is what they're hoping for.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
When you posted this did you look at why that is? It's way more telling Ninja had almost 100K today playing Apex.
It will be very telling if Ninja sticks with Apex longterm. Maybe he'll play both as they are both popular, fun and different.

Anyway my godson today asked to play apex and said all his fortnite buddies in school are on it. He's the prime fortnite crowd. It might atract less young girls but I think the lads will embrace this. Fun times ahead in the volitile and ever changing BR environment.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
It will be very telling if Ninja sticks with Apex longterm. Maybe he'll play both as they are both popular, fun and different.

Anyway my godson today asked to play apex and said all his fortnite buddies in school are on it. He's the prime fortnite crowd. It might atract less young girls but I think the lads will embrace this. Fun times ahead in the volitile and ever changing BR environment.

When he was streaming yesterday he mentioned how Day 1 was sponsored but now he's only playing it because he really wants to. He even said he'd rate it 10/10.

A lot of these streamers come from a competitive or high level shooter background. Shroud with CS:GO and Ninja with Halo, that I think they'd stick mostly with Apex as long as Respawn support it with fresh content and hooks.

Ninja's audience is filled with majority Fortnite gamers that I'm sure the transition would be rough but they seemed to enjoy him playing Apex even without the internet meme culture trappings.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

I think Apex might be even better than Fortnite in terms of character diversity and appeal. And demographics that aren't as big into games or are more casual will always lag at least a little behind when it comes to hopping on to hot new games. But the same could be said of any trending piece of media that breaks barriers to general culture awareness.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, not this again. If EA let them do what they wanted to, then they DID know what they were doing.
If that was truly the case why did Drew McCoy, the executive producer of the game in question, start his quote off with "Not to be throwing EA under the bus..." then he proceeds to throw EA under the bus? He even ends it off with "They had no hand in development or anything about this game". It's pretty obvious what his intention is by making these comments.

I think you're being disingenuous by somehow suggesting just because the game released that EA was somehow the prime mover in this whole thing. They weren't and the executive producer for the game makes that very very clear.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It does? On my screen it shows the first 5 games at the top of the screen as Fortnite, BLOPS4, NBA, Apex, R6S.

The website as it works is not reliable because it is per store region. For me in Sweden, for example, Fifa 19 is the 2nd most played game behind Fortnite.

Do not judge how many people play these games based on the Xbox online store, it is always going to be wrong compared to the actual numbers.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

My 13 year old daughter switched to Apex.. she won't go back to Fortnite. She loves the Apex characters, they actually have some "personality". Seems like she plays the robot all the time :)

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
My 13 year old daughter switched to Apex.. she won't go back to Fortnite. She loves the Apex characters, they actually have some "personality". Seems like she plays the robot all the time :)

I personally find it odd people decide what multiplayer shooting game to play based on the "characters", but I recognise that this is at thing and can respect that.

I couldn't care less about the backstory of the toon I play MP games with, though.

Apex has a good variety of character skills and abilities, however, which is pretty great.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Seagull is getting more viewers than his OW streams.

Imo this is easily the most entertaining BR as a viewer, due to the pacing and gameplay variety.

True it is a good game to just watch. They need to add some extra options IMHO. It feels a bit like a MOBA (not gameplay wise, but character wise). I would love a complete recording of the whole game to watch and review where things went wrong, but I guess this won't be high priority for them. I guess more Legends and a few different maps will be their first priorities.

I wonder how the money is flowing in, there really is no big need to spend (atm). I am going to spend 20 euro on the game to support the devs, but I am an older player with disposable income. Not sure if the target Apex audience is me :)

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I personally find it odd people decide what multiplayer shooting game to play based on the "characters", but I recognise that this is at thing and can respect that.

I couldn't care less about the backstory of the toon I play MP games with, though.

Apex has a good variety of character skills and abilities, however, which is pretty great.

I mean it really depends on how you view things, but defined characters are hugely important for retention in any multiplayer title now (and getting people to spend money on cosmetics and such, especially if the game is free to play). Just like how people get attached to their characters in MMOs or specialize with certain champions in League of Legends, Dota, Overwatch, and the like. Player characters having personality and/or customization is massive vs. just being a nameless, faceless soldier or whatever, as is common in the older style of arena shooters and stuff. Everyone being on an equal footing ability-wise (even if cosmetically customizable) is boring as hell eventually, even if easier to balance or better balanced by default. Asymmetric balance is WAY more interesting and long-lived than symmetric balance if you have the chops to pull it off. Just take a look at the Starcraft and Warcraft RTS games as a prime example.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it really depends on how you view things, but defined characters are hugely important for retention in any multiplayer title now (and getting people to spend money on cosmetics and such, especially if the game is free to play). Just like how people get attached to their characters in MMOs or specialize with certain champions in League of Legends, Dota, Overwatch, and the like. Player characters having personality and/or customization is massive vs. just being a nameless, faceless soldier or whatever, as is common in the older style of arena shooters and stuff. Everyone being on an equal footing ability-wise (even if cosmetically customizable) is boring as hell eventually, even if easier to balance or better balanced by default. Asymmetric balance is WAY more interesting and long-lived than symmetric balance if you have the chops to pull it off. Just take a look at the Starcraft and Warcraft RTS games as a prime example.

this is a great way to put it. you could probably make a moba that was as balanced as balanced could be and strip out all the fantasy elements and just have all the units be nondescript minimalist blobs or whatever and it would probably flop. personality goes a long way bringing a wide audience in.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
This may be the game where i want to upgrade my GPU for... Currently using a GTX 970 which seems to perform just fine, with the occasionally drop to 35fps. But if i turn on Adaptive Resolution FPS Target and set it to 60fps it runs better. But long distance the resolution becomes shit so those fights i tend to avoid.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

I know, I understand this is important, just saying it really isn't to me.

I went through the same realization back when MMOs were huge and everyone I knew put so much importance on character creation tools rather than actual content and game mechanics.

I've had people telling me whatever WoW-killer at any given time was going to succeed simply because it had far superior character customization.
I still maintain that was false, and I think history agrees with me, generally gameplay trumps all of that bullshit. But it does help a lot if it's there, still.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If that was truly the case why did Drew McCoy, the executive producer of the game in question, start his quote off with "Not to be throwing EA under the bus..." then he proceeds to throw EA under the bus? He even ends it off with "They had no hand in development or anything about this game". It's pretty obvious what his intention is by making these comments.

I think you're being disingenuous by somehow suggesting just because the game released that EA was somehow the prime mover in this whole thing. They weren't and the executive producer for the game makes that very very clear.
All the other poster said was that if EA were completely hands off then it was a deliberate choice by EA execs, and thus shows they know what they're doing. That poster never said they were the "prime mover" with Apex, that was you. This is typical though, where it's constant hate for EA then even when something good comes out of EA, people try to find ways to give EA zero credit.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
The more I play, the more I enjoy this!

The one thing that will prevent it from reaching popularity/reach of Fortnite is it not being available on mobile.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
No you don't get it, if parents see Fortnite it's just like Minecraft, they have no second thoughts about their kids playing it. When they see Apex, they see another military shooter, and so they might question it.
Apex another military shooter? How so? It does not have a realistic style either....

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To a parent when compared to Fortnite it will tho

Well, for us it passed the "wife test". She wouldn't let our 10 year old play PUBG or Blackout but is OK with Apex Legends. Futuristic weapons, cartoony character artstyle and above all no blood or graphic executions.

On a wider note all my boy's friends are now playing Apex. Think this is the first weekend in over a year (except holidays) that Fortnite hasn't been on the telly! Will be interesting to see the ripple effect outside his circle in the school.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I think this hitting at a time when Fortnite is in a deadzone for another two weeks has helped things out quite a bit. We'll see where my playtime ends up once Season 8 hits, but I've already spent my Fortnite time in APEX this weekend.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, for us it passed the "wife test". She wouldn't let our 10 year old play PUBG or Blackout but is OK with Apex Legends. Futuristic weapons, cartoony character artstyle and above all no blood or graphic executions.

On a wider note all my boy's friends are now playing Apex. Think this is the first weekend in over a year (except holidays) that Fortnite hasn't been on the telly! Will be interesting to see the ripple effect outside his circle in the school.

Im waiting for my son (7, 2nd grade) to come home and want to play it one day. He's watched me play it, I let him play most shooters (he's ahead of the curve gaming wise - gold in Rocket League, can stay even in CSGO TDM's), and he's my 'canary in the coal' mine for when it makes it to 2nd grade aged players.

He and his friends play less and less Fortnite, they are tired of "all the new stuff", and really seem to prefer the more basic / competitive modes, and not the planes and ice zombie stuff.

Apex is just stellar though..its so good and it appeals to so many crowds, basically it can dip into all the BR crowds (its tactical and fast), and all the major FPS crowds (pure gun skills can win, using OW (and Paladins) style abilities , and keep them all happy.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anybody know this game was coming? I feel like I just hopped on era last week and the game was surprise released? Or did i just miss this?