• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm not sure I agree, but semantics I guess.
Apex doesn't have stuff like this to distract you from the killing:

KyLhNdD.jpg

p3Wi6lq.gif

Plus it's an FPS so the killing is more in your face and personal.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have games where I can rack up 14 kills, do 2500 damage and think this game is God's gift to humanity. But the day after, I have games where I could empty an entire mag from behind someone and miss all my shots.

I hate this game.
I love this game.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Monday morning and Apex has 240k viewers on Twitch (Fortnite has 70k, PUBG has 40k, Overwatch has 11k, and Black Ops 4 has 5k)

It's eating everyone's lunch. There is no lunch it is not eating.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody know this game was coming? I feel like I just hopped on era last week and the game was surprise released? Or did i just miss this?

It was surprise dropped with no public marketing beforehand — released on the day it was announced except for some smaller leak a couple days before. Quite brilliant to do it that way for several reasons, but especially when entering a hostile, competitive market, where any publicity beforehand could have easily served as an opportunity for it to be smeared.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It was surprise dropped with no public marketing beforehand — released on the day it was announced except for some smaller leak a couple days before. Quite brilliant to do it that way for several reasons, but especially when entering a hostile, competitive market, where any publicity beforehand could have easily served as an opportunity for it to be smeared.
It was a flawless launch. Why spend who knows how many millions in marketing to hopefully reach some players in a wide net, when you can just pay the top streamers probably $100K+ (for the biggest names) to get the ball rolling. Also, no technical issues.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have games where I can rack up 14 kills, do 2500 damage and think this game is God's gift to humanity. But the day after, I have games where I could empty an entire mag from behind someone and miss all my shots.

I hate this game.
I love this game.
I got 5 wins in one session two days ago and then last night had a game where we had a perfect ambush on a squad waiting for a care package in a chokepoint and everyone failed spectacularly at hitting them with anything. I threw like 4 grenades and even dropped a Bangalore ult and maybe got like 60 damage total. After like 30 seconds of straight explosions they just turned around and mirked us no problem.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I wish more games were released like that, but for an online only product, you have to be sure the launch is flawless, not everyone can do that...

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Monday morning and Apex has 240k viewers on Twitch (Fortnite has 70k, PUBG has 40k, Overwatch has 11k, and Black Ops 4 has 5k)

Man I feel for Rainbow Six Siege most of all.

It was bad enough that their big Invitational tournament was happening during the CSGO major. And now Apex has sucked whatever air was left in the room.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. This is a game where at 1 am, I'm thinking "just one more round", and then all of a sudden it's 4am and I'm fucked at work the next day.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This really is a great game but I do feel like there is a disposable nature to BRs. Even after Fortnite did everything right with constant content updates it's still slowly being abandoned by br players.

I think there will be articles about this in the future and that there will be an even larger pile of dead BR in the years to come. Apex is great and Respawn deserves this success but I hope they use the capital to create another Titanfall or something else that will have staying power because more than likely this game will be dropped hard when the next BR comes out. BR players, like their characters in games, love to start over and over.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I got 5 wins in one session two days ago and then last night had a game where we had a perfect ambush on a squad waiting for a care package in a chokepoint and everyone failed spectacularly at hitting them with anything. I threw like 4 grenades and even dropped a Bangalore ult and maybe got like 60 damage total. After like 30 seconds of straight explosions they just turned around and mirked us no problem.
Welcome to the club man! It's the one thing about first-person shooters that I'll never grasp. 60% of my games are shit, 35% I'll do OK and 5% where I'm slaughtering everyone in sight.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This really is a great game but I do feel like there is a disposable nature to BRs. Even after Fortnite did everything right with constant content updates it's still slowly being abandoned by br players.

I think there will be articles about this in the future and that there will be an even larger pile of dead BR in the years to come. Apex is great and Respawn deserves this success but I hope they use the capital to create another Titanfall or something else that will have staying power because more than likely this game will be dropped hard when the next BR comes out. BR players, like their characters in games, love to start over and over.
That's my worry when the eventual "real" Titanfall game comes out. It's unlikely that two Titanfall games are gonna be the biggest MP games.

Oct 27, 2017
lol Drdisrespect just had a meltdown after getting eliminated by "gas bags". This is the first BR game that I actually enjoy watching people play.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Apex will definitely have staying power. The question is whether or not it will dethrone Fortnite.

It took a while, but Apex is the first BR that's really grabbed me. It brought the polish and approachability of Fortnite without the building mechanics and with far better weapon mechanics and some much appreciated Quality of Life features. They came out swinging hard and as long as they followup with solid post launch support, they'll keep people interested.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me is super curious how many people either went back into or created their Origin account just for Apex Legends this week
When I launched Origin, the ancient version I had couldn't patch itself since the update servers it was aware of no longer exist. Had to uninstall and reinstall.

I have a few launchers on my system but only Battle.net, GOG, and Steam get any consistent use.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

All games lose players over time. Genres that have been around for decades bleed players. StarCraft isn't as big as it was a decade ago. CoD isn't what it used to be. Even FIFA is slowing down. It's not like BR is some magical genre free from people wanting to try new stuff.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Apex will definitely have staying power. The question is whether or not it will dethrone Fortnite.

I don't think it will. I'm curious about the demographic for those two game. Fortnite is PEGI 12 and Apex is PEGI 16. I know age restriction doesn't matter that much, but Fortnite definitely seems to cater for a more broad demographic due to its cartoony graphics and wacky skins and etc.

Seriously, I know a lot of KIDS who play Fortnite, and I can hardly imagine an 8 year old playing Apex.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is all I have been playing since it came out. The only thing it needs is a solo mode because I hate playing with randoms when my friends aren't on.

Deleted member 13506

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Good point. I often feel like it can be a delicate balance of adding new content vs. upsetting players that are happy with the current game. I'd prefer more significant changes in BRs to keep things fresh, but I don't think everyone would agree.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

It took a while, but Apex is the first BR that's really grabbed me. It brought the polish and approachability of Fortnite without the building mechanics and with far better weapon mechanics and some much appreciated Quality of Life features. They came out swinging hard and as long as they followup with solid post launch support, they'll keep people interested.
It won't dethrone Fortnite. It's squad based, it's not on mobile or Switch, and it's not crossplay. If I had to guess, I'd say Apex will get about 50% of its players from Fortnite and the other 50% from the more adult shooters like Blackout, PUBG, R6S, Battlefield, etc. It'll be interesting to see where things stand in a month, after Fortnite will have had its Valentines event and then the new season starting Feb 27th.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It won't dethrone Fortnite. It's squad based, it's not on mobile or Switch, and it's not crossplay. If I had to guess, I'd say Apex will get about 50% of its players from Fortnite and the other 50% from the more adult shooters like Blackout, PUBG, R6S, Battlefield, etc.
Solo queue is coming though. I don't think it will topple fortnite though.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
needs a lobby/tourny mode.

very sad to hear how tmrw's "tournament" is going to pan out.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wish more games were released like that, but for an online only product, you have to be sure the launch is flawless, not everyone can do that...

You're not wrong. If the product you ship is subpar or worse, or merely average, it's probably better to dump a ton of marketing dollars in to get people to buy before they realize that, especially if it's a slow burn before the flaws become more apparent. Heavy marketing can certainly "force" a lot of games, that otherwise would have absolutely flopped on their own merits.

But heavy marketing also isn't nearly as viable an option in the F2P space if your game is bad, since you still have to get people spending after conquering initial interest.

What Respawn did here is a masterclass for game dev (and game dev business tactics) that others in the industry should take note of, but also understand that a vast majority of devs won't have the talent or skill to pull off. It's typically very easy for consumers to see through a shoddy imitation. While you might make a quick buck with an imitator, you won't have, or learn how to produce something with long-term success.

Also important to note that genre early movers or originators aren't often the best iterations of a concept. Sometimes they just hold on for awhile because of sheer inertia, riding on a budget gained through past success.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You have to form your own squad to play, currently? Yeah solo queue to play with randoms will be a big help. When is that? Even so, I still doubt a squad game will topple a game players can freely play solo.
Currently you get thrown with 2 randoms..in March solo and duo queues are coming..meaning no squads if you go solo queue I am assuming.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You're not wrong. If the product you ship is subpar or worse, or merely average, it's probably better to dump a ton of marketing dollars in to get people to buy before they realize that, especially if it's a slow burn before the flaws become more apparent. Heavy marketing can certainly "force" a lot of games, that otherwise would have absolutely flopped on their own merits.

But heavy marketing also isn't nearly as viable an option in the F2P space if your game is bad, since you still have to get people spending after conquering initial interest.

What Respawn did here is a masterclass for game dev (and game dev business tactics) that others in the industry should take note of, but also understand that a vast majority of devs won't have the talent or skill to pull off. It's typically very easy for consumers to see through a shoddy imitation. While you might make a quick buck with an imitator, you won't have, or learn how to produce something with long-term success.

Also important to note that genre early movers or originators aren't often the best iterations of a concept. Sometimes they just hold on for awhile because of sheer inertia, riding on a budget gained through past success.
A lot of the fanbase they want to grab watches streamers, so they paid the streamers. Brilliant move. Imagine though what a disaster it might have been if there had been technical issues on launch day, and they've paid all those streamers to play for the day. It's amazing it went so well, with no beta stress test or anything.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It won't dethrone Fortnite. It's squad based, it's not on mobile or Switch, and it's not crossplay. If I had to guess, I'd say Apex will get about 50% of its players from Fortnite and the other 50% from the more adult shooters like Blackout, PUBG, R6S, Battlefield, etc. It'll be interesting to see where things stand in a month, after Fortnite will have had its Valentines event and then the new season starting Feb 27th.

I mean I don't really expect it to, but I do think it has a chance. Apex is infinitely more watchable than Fortnite and I wouldn't underestimate the impact that streaming will have on the popularity of the game. But you're right, the lack of crossplay and the limited release will almost certainly ensure it doesn't quite make it that far.

Still, I think it will be a close second. I think Apex brings a quick pace to the game that players have been craving. I think player count will be climbing for at least a few months, so time will tell.

Oct 30, 2017
This game took up all of my day yesterday. This is the only BR that's drawn me in. Losing never feels cheap and playing with randoms is always a coin toss but even the lower-ranking ones (like me) tend to gel as the match progresses. Had a Fortnite kid call me a "nooblet" because I didn't immediately run to revive him. I helped him out later in the match by pinging better gear and he was more reasonable on the mic. We ended up placing 2nd and the kid was really appreciative of our teamwork. I was actually surprised by that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I mean I don't really expect it to, but I do think it has a chance. Apex is infinitely more watchable than Fortnite and I wouldn't underestimate the impact that streaming will have on the popularity of the game. But you're right, the lack of crossplay and the limited release will almost certainly ensure it doesn't quite make it that far.

Still, I think it will be a close second. I think Apex brings a quick pace to the game that players have been craving. I think player count will be climbing for at least a few months, so time will tell.
I agree. We have to be wary of reading much into UU counts though. It really means nothing if some people switch from Fortnite for a week then go back, and are forever counted as unique users in Apex. I hope we get an update on concurrent, or some talk of DAU.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will. I'm curious about the demographic for those two game. Fortnite is PEGI 12 and Apex is PEGI 16. I know age restriction doesn't matter that much, but Fortnite definitely seems to cater for a more broad demographic due to its cartoony graphics and wacky skins and etc.

Seriously, I know a lot of KIDS who play Fortnite, and I can hardly imagine an 8 year old playing Apex.

Interesting that the ratings in Europe are different. Fortnite and Apex have the same rating by the ESRB.

And I don't think 8 year olds is really the prime demographic you want to go after anyway — it's not like they have their own money. Fortnite's wacky, whimsical style certainly turned plenty of people off — people with way more disposable income than 8 year olds ever would have.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

It's been like this since it launched a week ago.

If Respawn keeps the content coming I don't see it slowing down.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Ninja's audience is filled with majority Fortnite gamers that I'm sure the transition would be rough but they seemed to enjoy him playing Apex even without the internet meme culture trappings.

Not as rough as summits transition from sea of thieves.
His chat has a lot of disgruntled SoT fans right now, but somehow they still watch him as the viewers for the other sea of thieves players have hardly budged as far as I can see. I wonder who will take the biggest % drop in viewership due to Apex, Fortnite or SoT.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the ratings in Europe are different. Fortnite and Apex have the same rating by the ESRB.

And I don't think 8 year olds is really the prime demographic you want to go after anyway — it's not like they have their own money. Fortnite's wacky, whimsical style certainly turned plenty of people off — people with way more disposable income than 8 year olds eve would have.
That style is making them a lot of money though. I would argue Apex needs to step up their skin game. The current skins are just fine but not something I want to dump a ton of money in loot boxes to try to get.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this true with a lot of games? I see people moving on from Halo or Call of Duty or Rainbow Six onto the next thing all the time.
Not in case of Rainbow Six though. That game keeps gaining players and it's the only one that's been around in a while and will be around for a few more years. Beside there isn't really a "next thing" for players who want a game like Siege due to how completely unique it is. Quite unlike BR games and other shooters where there is often a "next thing".

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

The launch is going to be studied and (poorly) replicated by marketing teams all over the industry I think.