• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the battle pass won't have silly challenges like Fortnite. Just play to get xp and level up that way I much prefer. Also weird it's coming next month...isn't BFV br coming then too?
With a heavy emphasis on squad play there's no way they could do silly challenges like playing on a piano. They could but it'll heavily disrupt the flow.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the battle pass won't have silly challenges like Fortnite. Just play to get xp and level up that way I much prefer. Also weird it's coming next month...isn't BFV br coming then too?

I'm cool with combat-based challenges like get x grenade kills, get y bamboozles, but if I have to drop a care package on someone, I swear to God...

Oct 25, 2017
With a heavy emphasis on squad play there's no way they could do silly challenges like playing on a piano.
Lol well I didn't necessarily mean stuff like piano...that would look so out of place on apex. More like get x amount of kills in this area with a certain weapon etc. I hate that because then everyone is always dropping in one area to try and do a challenge.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If that was truly the case why did Drew McCoy, the executive producer of the game in question, start his quote off with "Not to be throwing EA under the bus..." then he proceeds to throw EA under the bus? He even ends it off with "They had no hand in development or anything about this game". It's pretty obvious what his intention is by making these comments.

I think you're being disingenuous by somehow suggesting just because the game released that EA was somehow the prime mover in this whole thing. They weren't and the executive producer for the game makes that very very clear.
Because Respawn have huge egos.
Because EA seems to have a history of letting Respawn do what they want.
Because I think it's ignorant to believe that whenever something goes wrong, it's big bad corporate greedy investor-pleasing EA, and when something goes right, it's the saintly devs who don't care about money and just want to make good games for the gamers.

Also, nowhere did I insinuate that EA was the prime mover. They clearly weren't. But they deserve some credit in putting trust in Respawn when TF2 bombed so hard. Many other publishers would've thrown down the gauntlet. People here seem to forget that the dev-pub relationship is a partnership. Both sides need to work well to successfully launch a game. Sometimes that means having a light touch (e.g. Tencent).

Last edited:

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that the ratings in Europe are different. Fortnite and Apex have the same rating by the ESRB.

You're right, both are rated TEEN by ESRB!

And I don't think 8 year olds is really the prime demographic you want to go after anyway — it's not like they have their own money. Fortnite's wacky, whimsical style certainly turned plenty of people off — people with way more disposable income than 8 year olds eve would have.

Those are great points you make, though I have seen plenty of my students spending a considerable amount of money on Fortnite. Some parents will buy whatever they ask, sadly. Really wish we had access to this sort of data, since all I have is anecdotal data.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol well I didn't necessarily mean stuff like piano...that would look so out of place on Fortnite. More like get x amount of kills in this area with a certain weapon etc. I hate that because then everyone is always dropping in one area to try and do a challenge.
Fortnite did have a challenge where you had to play on a piano.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
How is blackout doing after Apex came out?

It's pretty dead in comparison it seems, but it wasn't doing well on its own merits for some time anyway, especially after some post-release stuff or lack thereof.

I mean I don't really expect it to, but I do think it has a chance. Apex is infinitely more watchable than Fortnite and I wouldn't underestimate the impact that streaming will have on the popularity of the game. But you're right, the lack of crossplay and the limited release will almost certainly ensure it doesn't quite make it that far.

Still, I think it will be a close second. I think Apex brings a quick pace to the game that players have been craving. I think player count will be climbing for at least a few months, so time will tell.

I mean it's not like Fortnite had fully fleshed out cross-play upon launch or released on every platform initially. Those came later (namely the lower barrier to entry mobile and Switch versions, which is funny to say cause the game was already running in toaster PCs and is free).

It would be a hilariously stupid idea to try and compete on an exact 1 to 1 basis for things like that at launch vs. an established dominant entity. Even in decline now, no new MMO is dethroning WoW on the merits of somehow having more content at launch — literally impossible to do without an astronomical budget/oversize staff and/or a very long dev cycle. Especially when MMOs on average likely have the longest dev cycle in the industry as it is, especially good or even half-decent ones.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I just noticed Fortnite is the "Deal of the week" on PSN Norway with 50% off their founder packs.
Watching this whole thing unfold is quite amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed Fortnite is the "Deal of the week" on PSN Norway with 50% off their founder packs.
Watching this whole thing unfold is quite amazing.
That's not new, Fortnite has been 50% off in the past. It's also just for the PvE Save the World mode and offers nothing for the BR mode (except for a method to get V-bucks without paying).

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
That style is making them a lot of money though. I would argue Apex needs to step up their skin game. The current skins are just fine but not something I want to dump a ton of money in loot boxes to try to get.

Fair point, but at least Apex isn't yet embroiled in MULTIPLE lawsuits like Epic is over selling cosmetic dance move animations that they appropriated without due credit or compensation. I think there's a good chance they lose those if they don't end up settling (more likely).

Because Respawn have huge egos.
Because EA seems to have a history of letting Respawn do what they want.
Because I think it's ignorant to believe that whenever something goes wrong, it's big bad corporate greedy investor-pleasing EA, and when something goes right, it's the saintly devs who don't care about money and just want to make good games for the gamers.

Also, nowhere did I insinuate that EA was the prime mover. They clearly weren't. But they deserve some credit in putting trust in Respawn when TF2 bombed so hard. Many other publishers would've thrown down the gauntlet. People here seem to forget that the dev-pub relationship is a partnership. Both sides need to work well to successfully launch a game. Sometimes that means having a light touch (e.g. Tencent).

I mean…in hindsight I think it's very easy to argue that Titanfall 2's lack of commercial success has WAY more to do with decisions that are typically in the publisher's domain, rather than the quality of the game. Release date/launch window being the biggest, along with appropriate marketing. It got fucked on both counts.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what kind of content you would even get out of the battle pass in Apex. It's not like the skins matter as much as in Fortnite because you aren't seeing them nearly as often.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Fair point, but at least Apex isn't yet embroiled in MULTIPLE lawsuits like Epic is over selling cosmetic dance move animations that they appropriated without due credit or compensation. I think there's a good chance they lose those if they don't end up settling (more likely).
That's a whole different argument, of which I don't disagree.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to know if twitch streamers were only sponsored for day one or if they still are. That streamers doesn't care about alienating their userbase because they genuinely like the game enough to keep streaming it is wild.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what kind of content you would even get out of the battle pass in Apex. It's not like the skins matter as much as in Fortnite because you aren't seeing them nearly as often.

I'm expecting the gun skins to be the hot ticket items in this game given that you never even see your character. The legendary gun skins are already more interesting than the legendary character skins and it definitely looks cool when top streamers are using crazy looking guns.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know if twitch streamers were only sponsored for day one or if they still are. That streamers doesn't care about alienating their userbase because they genuinely like the game enough to keep streaming it is wild.

If they were following the law correctly, it was one day. They all had "#ad" and "#apexpartner" in their streams with an ad overlay on Monday last week and then never again.

Also, their viewer base wants to see Apex gameplay. If you watch Shroud every day, for example, you've probably watched a few hundred hours of PUBG gameplay. It's fun to see someone like that switch it up and dominate a completely different game. They also probably get sick of what they're playing, so if they can shake it up and maintain 75-80% of their viewership on a new, more interesting game, why not do that and get out of the rut of playing 50+ hours a week of Fortnite?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think the sponsored ones are over, they usually disclose it, and based on how much fun they are having, I think its organic now. Viewers are watching too, Shroud gets under 20K when he plays Tarkov, 40ish in PUBG, he HELD 120K this weekend - he told people to go watch OTHER people.

Doc's at 50K right now, he gets 15K in Fortnite, and like 25K in PUBG

1) They are enjoying it
2) People be watchin'

I also think a lot of these streamers were playing Fortnite out of last resort and losing their minds.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

Major keyword in my argument being "typically". EA still allowed Battlefield 1 to ship with the short delay, allowing it to help cannibalize Titanfall 2. Also a case where the publisher should have fully set the release agenda and either done something else with Battlefield or overridden whoever was being stubborn about release dates at Respawn. I was aware of this fact before though and know exactly what I said.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sponsorship was only for 48 hours I believe. On Friday Ninja's stream was called "not an ad anymore, game is just fun." I think they have to mark their stream as "ad" or "sponsored" during that period.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The sponsorship was only for 48 hours I believe. On Friday Ninja's stream was called "not an ad anymore, game is just fun."
Well congrats to them. Idk if it could be considered organic since it's still too early but that's a nice start. I'll reserve my judgment 2 or 3 months later but I'm hopeful the game is here to stay

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I think the sponsored ones are over, they usually disclose it, and based on how much fun they are having, I think its organic now. Viewers are watching too, Shroud gets under 20K when he plays Tarkov, 40ish in PUBG, he HELD 120K this weekend - he told people to go watch OTHER people.

Doc's at 50K right now, he gets 15K in Fortnite, and like 25K in PUBG

1) They are enjoying it
2) People be watchin'

I also think a lot of these streamers were playing Fortnite out of last resort and losing their minds.

I know for sure that Summit1G (popular, primarily shooter player) had a rant one time (think I caught it live) where he said that he basically hated Fortnite but felt compelled to play it at least some because that's where the views/money was at. And it's definitely true for a lot of the streamers that aren't fully "variety" types who can pull 20k+ viewers no matter what they play. And especially if someone is popular/known for a specific game or genre, they can make more money typically sticking to that than branching out. I see all the time people that have massive viewership on their "main" game of expertise, but have half or less the viewers when they play something else, if they're lucky. It's a real financial consideration to go from playing a game that you might have 20k or 30k viewers on, to playing what you might feel like more as a change of pace and having 10k or less viewers. That's a lot less ad and sub/donation revenue.

Nov 18, 2017
Be interested in seeing how much money this is taking. I bought enough coin to unlock the two characters. That's still a third of the cost of a full title, and this is so good it at least deserves that, especially if the added content is as solid as the base game

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping up with Epic's pace of content release is stressful. Metas change not just week to week, but day to day. It's actually too much, but it's what people have come to expect from the game now. Over the last few months you could really tell that Fortnite streamers were getting sick of the game changing so often, but the kids love it. Casual players want "more content", while serious players want consistency and balance.

The Ziplines and Planes introduced in Season 6 were definitely a big point of contention for a lot of top streamers over the last few months, on top of other shit like Dynamite, Boomboxes, on and on and on.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be interested in seeing how much money this is taking. I bought enough coin to unlock the two characters. That's still a third of the cost of a full title, and this is so good it at least deserves that, especially if the added content is as solid as the base game

Yeah agreed, I really don't have any reason to play another shooter right now. Unless burnout settles in but the games are so great to play, even in losses.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It's Monday morning and Apex has 240k viewers on Twitch (Fortnite has 70k, PUBG has 40k, Overwatch has 11k, and Black Ops 4 has 5k)

It's eating everyone's lunch. There is no lunch it is not eating.
Yeah the snowball effect has begun and if this gets the appropriate updates over the next 12 months it will be hard topped. I wonder how BFV BR will do next month.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm sure the Wall St analysts will be weighing in soon. All we have to go by currently is that concurrent is about 10% of Fortnite, and that's been raking in about $300M per month. Maybe Fortnite would monetize better being TPS than FPS though. A realistic goal this year might be $500M total revenue (with 30% of most of that going to Sony and MS).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's in threads like these where I learn that games I play are dead.

"Dead" is a strong word. More than anything, Titanfall 2 reminds me of playing BLOPS II on Wii U: there were rarely more than 1000 or so people online at any one time, but you could still get into a ton of deathmatch funsies.

edit: thought this was the TF2 thread.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I'm expecting the gun skins to be the hot ticket items in this game given that you never even see your character. The legendary gun skins are already more interesting than the legendary character skins and it definitely looks cool when top streamers are using crazy looking guns.

Much like what Valve did on Counter Strike.

People went crazy for some of the gun skins.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Dead" is a strong word. More than anything, Titanfall 2 reminds me of playing BLOPS II on Wii U: there were rarely more than 1000 or so people online at any one time, but you could still get into a ton of deathmatch funsies.

edit: thought this was the TF2 thread.

I was actually talking about blackout. This is like the first cod game I've played in years. I have no idea what is popular really because I don't really gauge what I like from what twitch streamers stream.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Major keyword in my argument being "typically". EA still allowed Battlefield 1 to ship with the short delay, allowing it to help cannibalize Titanfall 2. Also a case where the publisher should have fully set the release agenda and either done something else with Battlefield or overridden whoever was being stubborn about release dates at Respawn. I was aware of this fact before though and know exactly what I said.
So who do you attribute Apex Legends' successful launch to then?

I should add though, Titanfall 2's poor retention numbers are NOT EA's problem.
Retention is purely in the realm of the developer.