Apex Legends |OT| You kill me, you're better. I kill you, I'm better.

Oct 26, 2017
Who should I unlock first? Mirage or Caustic? I've been holding these points/coins forever, might as well use them on one of them
I think caustic is cool but he’s kinda ass to be honest

Damn. That sucks.
Yea, it’s kinda weird they don’t give you a box for winning either. But I guess wins come so easy in this game they don’t want to give that many away

Oct 30, 2017
You picked up a gun that someone else had already fired.
Could've grabbed a gun that somebody else dumped instead of a fresh one.
Hard to say, but I'm aware of that mechanic, which is fine, but I was in a pretty desolate area. Everything goes by so fast in the game I couldn't say where I picked it up. I don't recall seeing any signs of a fire fight in the area.

Oct 26, 2017
I think caustic is cool but he’s kinda ass to be honest
I thought I would prefer mirage but I really like Caustic - using his gas mines on chokepoints is a really nice way to get alerted that enemies are coming from your flanks - his special is also really useful when you get towards the final circle

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying this so far. Also kudos to the dev team for basically having everything function at launch. It's one of the best game launches I've ever experienced. I was so surprised how fleshed out it all was.

I kinda wish there was an arena mode with Titanfall-esque bots to practice with. I'm only level 6 or 7 but just lost on most of the weapon mechanics. I know that's kinda the point of thse games, to learn them as you go, but still.

Selina

Bosh'tet
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
I got disconnected Saturday night 1 kill away from a win when Spectrum decided to have an outage. Was rage inducing. :(
I was with a friend too. It's never happened that late in the game either. Total waste of time it was.
I was not ready for the recoil on the Devotion.

...Really messed up that engagement...

My only solace is that both my squaddies were alive at the time and under fire themselves, so they could never see what was happening with me.
I feel like this when I fire the Devotion:

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Two questions:

Is it possible to shoot a pistol when you're downed? If it is possible, how do you set this up?

What does a helmet actually do? It doesn't seem to affect your shield strength.

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say, but I'm aware of that mechanic, which is fine, but I was in a pretty desolate area. Everything goes by so fast in the game I couldn't say where I picked it up. I don't recall seeing any signs of a fire fight in the area.
I mean, that’s what happened. There’s no “mechanic” that makes you reload a gun before it’s fired. All weapons come with a magazine of ammo.

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven’t gotten the hang of Wraith. I like Pathfinder a lot! Gives me the high ground advantage everytime
I love Wraith because she fits the aggressive play style that I’ve always done in shooters. Always think it’s silly when Gibraltar’s or Lifelines try flanking, like dude, that’s Wraiths job! She has portals for crying out loud. But yeah, Wraith is the perfect fit for aggressive flankers.

Nov 10, 2018
Stupid question, have you guys notice some differences with the ps4 pro connected in wifi instead of cable in this game? Like worst performance or lag...

Oct 25, 2017
kind of wonder if they put this out soo close to Anthem.......cause they think Anthem might turn out to be a big budget flop
Anthem doesn’t have PvP, and this game is free. They’re not really competing for the same market.

Stupid question, have you guys notice some differences with the ps4 pro connected in wifi instead of cable in this game? Like wo rst performance or lag...
Wired will always be better for online gaming. True for every game. Even if you think your WiFi performance is fine, it’s not as good as being wired.

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Two questions:

Is it possible to shoot a pistol when you're downed? If it is possible, how do you set this up?

What does a helmet actually do? It doesn't seem to affect your shield strength.
You can't do anything when downed except ping enemies and locations, and a helmet protects your head, so decreases headshot damage. It doesn't show up on the shield bar, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Really enjoying this so far. Also kudos to the dev team for basically having everything function at launch. It's one of the best game launches I've ever experienced. I was so surprised how fleshed out it all was.

I kinda wish there was an arena mode with Titanfall-esque bots to practice with. I'm only level 6 or 7 but just lost on most of the weapon mechanics. I know that's kinda the point of thse games, to learn them as you go, but still.
Our group last night kept getting game crashes. We played about 10-12 games and one person would crash (different person each time) in 4 different games.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and No really. I am probably cancelling my Anthem preorder because of this. I wasnt expecting to like Apex this much.
That’s a time thing though. If you’re specifically looking for a co-op loot game, Apex isn’t gonna work. Just like Anthem won’t work if you’re looking for a PvP game. The games have very little in common.

Oct 25, 2017
btw, is there a good video series of the basics of mechanics and strategy in the game? A lot I've found are either way too basic and are basically just shit post fake promotional bull shit to get views, or more advanced than I'm really looking for.

Like the folks laughing about how one team doesn't know you can self-heal, or w/e... Well.... I didn't know you could self-heal either. Things like that?

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game to bits but lordy am I bad at it. I haven’t really been a PC gamer before and I feel like a simple man having a fist fight with Superman in every encounter. I’m getting smashed. Any tips on how to not suck at m/kb FPS most welcome!

I do get spanked but I do go back for more, a sure sign the game doesn’t suck (but I do).

Oct 28, 2017
I was not ready for the recoil on the Devotion.

...Really messed up that engagement...

My only solace is that both my squaddies were alive at the time and under fire themselves, so they could never see what was happening with me.
Lmao!

Side note, what is it about all my third member randoms today going off on their own almost immediately. Like, no dude, you can't take out entire squads on your own, please stick together if you actually want to survive. I don't even know why I bother trying to save them, but for whatever reason I always try lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I was with a friend too. It's never happened that late in the game either. Total waste of time it was.
I feel like this when I fire the Devotion:

It can be incredible though, especially if you get the exotic attachment that quickens the initial spin up time. With that attachment it is essentially an assault rifle chain gun.

I love this game to bits but lordy am I bad at it. I haven’t really been a PC gamer before and I feel like a simple man having a fist fight with Superman in every encounter. I’m getting smashed. Any tips on how to not suck at m/kb FPS most welcome!

I do get spanked but I do go back for more, a sure sign the game doesn’t suck (but I do).
Lower your sensitivity way below what you're normally comfortable browsing the desktop with and try to get used to it. Your desktop icons aren't strafing left and right when you're trying to click on them, lol.

That's the most general advice and you can start to work from there, but it's important to get a reasonable sensitivity right from the start and practice that, because changing your sens later will require you to completely retrain your muscle memory all over again.

You kind of want to go as low as your mouse pad and desk space will allow, it will feel like dragging your mouse through water at first, but eventually you will start getting used to it and it will really pay off in the long-term.

It sucks to have to get worse before you get better, but most people that have "gotten good" at FPS have gone through it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That’s a time thing though. If you’re specifically looking for a co-op loot game, Apex isn’t gonna work. Just like Anthem won’t work if you’re looking for a PvP game. The games have very little in common.
Well they are both shooters. I am sure there are many people that are interested in both like me. Respawn just made Anthem's fight for an audience more difficult. Especially since Apex is kinda dominating a lot of what the gaming world is talking about at the moment.

Anyway, getting off topic, March 1 is when the battle pass comes out for Apex? Are we expecting Mirage and Caustic to be unlockable in there or will there be different new characters?

Oct 27, 2017
Man I have so many games in my backlog, I definitely didn't need this in my life.

It's the only game I can think about right now.
Haha same here. I have been SUPER diligent this past year about only buying games I know I'll play. My backlog was down to a handful of long games like DQXI and RDR2 and then this game comes out and it's all I want to play. BFV and even Rocket League have gone on the backburner.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Phew

First, and probably last, victory of the evening. I've been sleeping on Hemlok, single fire with it is fantastic.

e: oh shit, I didn't realize I was the kill leader too lol. I have peaked for this week.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Play single player games to practice mouse aiming.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and No really. I am probably cancelling my Anthem preorder because of this. I wasnt expecting to like Apex this much.
Same thing for me. There's no point me getting Anthem when this is fulfing my MP fill. Whether it's PvP or PvE, either game would still essentially encompass that same multiplayer jump in and out daily draw.

Who knows though, maybe this time next week I'll be bored with it and want something new, but it certainly doesn't feel like that'll be the case. Only negative really is that the sense of progression isn't great, and the maps don't seem too different in terms of real world play. Hell I barely even realised there were different maps at first.

If Anthem were to include a fully fledged and solid single player campaign, I'd still get it though.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I would prefer mirage but I really like Caustic - using his gas mines on chokepoints is a really nice way to get alerted that enemies are coming from your flanks - his special is also really useful when you get towards the final circle
Oh for sure, but outside of that and some very specific choke points it’s not really useful and both Bangalore and Gibraltar’s cover the same purpose on top of being more universally good. The equipment is pretty good for an alarm system and rather humorously blocking doors but neither really seem like the intended use (traps) and are still kinda meh compared to the other Q’s.

I don’t think he’s unusable or anything, like I said I like him, but if you’re more worried about getting the better character rather than which one you think is cooler then he is the weaker choice.

Oct 27, 2017
btw, is there a good video series of the basics of mechanics and strategy in the game? A lot I've found are either way too basic and are basically just shit post fake promotional bull shit to get views, or more advanced than I'm really looking for.

Like the folks laughing about how one team doesn't know you can self-heal, or w/e... Well.... I didn't know you could self-heal either. Things like that?
What do you mean by "Self heal"? Do you mean using medkits and syringes or the gold armor that lets you revive yourself? If you didn't know about medkits/syringes I'd say the basic videos couldn't be too basic as using items is a pretty basic part of BR games.

Is this your first BR game? Do you need info on like the flow of how the game works, the circle, eliminations vs downs and all that? Or are you looking for tactics on how to win or survive a gun fight?

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing for me. There's no point me getting Anthem when this is fulfing my MP fill. Whether it's PvP or PvE, either game would still essentially encompass that same multiplayer jump in and out daily draw.

Who knows though, maybe this time next week I'll be bored with it and want something new, but it certainly doesn't feel like that'll be the case. Only negative really is that the sense of progression isn't great, and the maps don't seem too different in terms of real world play. Hell I barely even realised there were different maps at first.

If Anthem were to include a fully fledged and solid single player campaign, I'd still get it though.
Wait what? Maps?