• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished in the top 5 twice today, and once getting 2nd place. Due to the Flutter tier of guns (where everything is shit) I found out the best way to squeeze myself into the end.

Skirt the circle grid until everyone kills everyone else.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im bringing this up only because a friend of mine just brought this to my attention.
So I have a friend who use to be a console gamer/good at fps games on console switch to pc like last year. He was a GM tank on overwatch, after switching to pc he diamond but peaked at masters. Just bringing that into it saying he isnt scrubby.

Anyways so he has been playing Apex on PC, and doing pretty good, averaging like 4 kills a game.

He tried apex on console last night and is like "holy shit, i racked up 12 kills my first game, wtf" and keeps telling me how he has these high kill games on console.

Is the competition on console that much worse? I watched a clip earlier of console and people were missing wildly where my experience on pc is in every fight, people are hitting some sort of shots.

I feel like if you are good with a controller, you could have a huge advantage on console being that more people on average arent that good. Whereas even if you're good on pc, more people on average are good on pc too? Is that fair to assume?

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
If it'd have realized how much fun Mirage was before grinding to the 12000 points to unlock him, I'd have paid to get him early. In close range fights Bamboozling is way more effective than you'd think, and it's always handy to chuck one through an open area to see if anyone's lying in wait.

His ULT is fine I guess, the few times when you pull it off and cloak to get around a squad to flank it feels really good, but most of the time I get downed before I fully cloak.

Oct 27, 2017
Im bringing this up only because a friend of mine just brought this to my attention.
So I have a friend who use to be a console gamer/good at fps games on console switch to pc like last year. He was a GM tank on overwatch, after switching to pc he diamond but peaked at masters. Just bringing that into it saying he isnt scrubby.

Anyways so he has been playing Apex on PC, and doing pretty good, averaging like 4 kills a game.

He tried apex on console last night and is like "holy shit, i racked up 12 kills my first game, wtf" and keeps telling me how he has these high kill games on console.

Is the competition on console that much worse? I watched a clip earlier of console and people were missing wildly where my experience on pc is in every fight, people are hitting some sort of shots.

I feel like if you are good with a controller, you could have a huge advantage on console being that more people on average arent that good. Whereas even if you're good on pc, more people on average are good on pc too? Is that fair to assume?

That is how it has always felt to me as someone who games on both console and PC.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Last time I played my team held off 4 squads fighting to get into our building all through our caustic basically barring doors till they blew them all away and by then we had all hopped out of the house and the caustic blocked the open door with another bomb before we all got rolled. Caustic door blocks eventually need to be reworked, but till then it's fucking hilarious.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thats how I feel too when I see console footage Apex vids.

Oct 26, 2017
California

Isn't this pretty much the most popular metacommentary on gaming? Good on a PC = godlike on a console.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018

I've tried it out on both PC and console as well, found it much easier to get kills and most other players are potatoes on console. A huge amount of players lack any sense of their environment, standing in the open trading shots with each other, not fully using their abilities and other movement options available. I imagine there's still crappy players on PC but consoles are much more geared towards kids. They'll be a lot of kids hopping on the newest F2P BR game and getting destroyed by seasoned shooter players.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I feel like.. anecdotally of course, PC Players tend to have much more FPS experience. Or rather... more of the PC playerbase does. Console playerbase seems to consist of more people who never or rarely play FPS games and of those who do, a greater amount play in smaller amounts or stick to non PvP games/modes. Though I also think there's variance on this depending on the specific console as well. Xbox' lifetime (as a company) has seen a lot of it's biggest games be shooters while Sony's have primarily been adventure games and RPGs.

Normally this really wouldn't make too much of a difference as regardless of which platform, fans of Shooters will make up the playerbase of shooters. But Apex being free to play, extremely popular, and being far less intimidating to get into (compared to Fortnite due to it's building mechanic) means there's a lot more people trying it out that aren't heavily experienced PvP shooter players. So your hardcore CoD players, Destiny PvP vets, Halo vets, etc... have a higher chance of running roughshod over a game.

This is all speculative/anecdotal though.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about the same but this is why I love this game even though I've never been into online shooters - you really feel you can be contributing without it being all about kill count and K/D ratio.
Absolutely, I had a game yesterday where our third D/C'd and the two of us carried on. Other guy wasn't too great at shooting (I think he had about 2-300 damage), but he stuck to me like glue and pinged everything he saw and we won easily with just 2 people.

I don't need former Counter-Strike pros on my team, I just need people that don't abandon me.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Also getting good on shooting games on the PC helps A LOT when you move to consoles. Happened to me on Overwatch too.

Want to play Apex Legends on the PC badly but my GTX 960 *smacks hood on PC* just aint cutting it anymore

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Had my first "I can't believe my team did that" moment. So we dive into the bunker, our jump master is a bit late and another team beats us there by a good margin. Whatever, we still touch down grab some guns from outside. There's one of their teammates left outside, all 3 of us start shooting at the guy and he runs into a small corner before going down. Right before he goes down he throws a nade at his feet, and I"m all "ahah I know that trick I ain't going in there". Both my teammates rush in there to punch him and die to a single nade. 20th team out to the stupidest death I've ever seen.

The kicker, they were the previous champions. I'm not even upset, just baffled.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing on both and I do far better on Xbox than I do on PC, despite not being nearly as fast and accurate due to the analogs.

D3M0N

Oct 30, 2017

I honestly had the same experience, i mostly play on pc and average around 3-4 kills.
I tried it on console a few day ago and also got like 10-12 in a round. It even feels somehow easier event thoug i haven´t really played a console multiplayer shooter in more than 4 years

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

I think he's just better with a controller than a mouse. In Overwatch, I was Diamond on PS4 and Grandmaster on PC, and it was mostly down to my comfort with the control method. If I tried Apex on console right now, I would be surprised if I could even get half the kills I average on PC, because I suck with controllers.

I don't really think you can make a generalization about the skill of a playerbase when it's all completely random matchmaking. I've had teammates on PC that played like they were playing What Remains of Edith Finch instead of a multiplayer FPS, and I've also had a few that were even better than I am. I think you're really gonna see the whole spectrum of skill no matter what platform you're playing on.

Voorhees

Nov 20, 2017
Mirage is like a bootleg PG Deadpool. Worst quips in the game.

Not to mention his hair reminds me of this dude.

640_justin_guarini_drpepper.jpg

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's just better with a controller than a mouse. In Overwatch, I was Diamond on PS4 and Grandmaster on PC, and it was mostly down to my comfort with the control method. If I tried Apex on console right now, I would be surprised if I could even get half the kills I average on PC, because I suck with controllers.

I don't really think you can make a generalization about the skill of a playerbase when it's all completely random matchmaking. I've had teammates on PC that played like they were playing What Remains of Edith Finch instead of a multiplayer FPS, and I've also had a few that were even better than I am. I think you're really gonna see the whole spectrum of skill no matter what platform you're playing on.

I mean based on what others have said, it kinda makes more sense that pc player base would more accurate overall. I know your scenario is what happened with you, but I would think your scenario isnt the norm. For instance Every player ive known who switched from console to pc in RL ended up 500-1000 less in sr in ow. (5 people). Anecodotal just like your experiences but logically, based on what others have stated in this thread, it makes sense as to why.

Edit: id also argue, its easier to aim with a mouse than with an analog stick imo. So if you are good with a controller, you have more chance to deal with people who aren't overall.

Also, literally watching console clips vs playing on pc and watching pc clips, the competition literally looks different/way less accurate

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7KrNH0U.jpg

This match with Bangalore was amazing. Slow start, then we decide to third party a battle at the repulsor. Others must have had the same idea because teams kept popping up left and right. We lost a teammate in the battle but killed 12 people in that spot. It was beyond insane. After that we moved to the final circle south, where the two solo survivors were little challenge to us who looted up by like a dozen deathboxes. Should have clipped that shootout, but I was afraid to stop to record for a second as teams just kept coming and coming.

Win #14 with randoms. One of the most fun ones.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Bangalore is the best. Between her missles and the smoke grenade, you can make a shit ton of chaos.

And this is just me and some other dude 3rd partying and taking down the final squad like nothing. Their fault though for not spreading out until we were gunning them all done.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh trash rando:

• Picks Wraith despite me hovering over her (which is fair you get to pick first)
  • When I select where we are dropping because I picked last, they decided to drop without the team
  • They die within seconds
  • They disconnect/rage quits after dying

Git gud scrub.

It's hard to get the bade for winning a game as the Champion. Since it's rare that I will have two great games in a row with randoms.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think you invalidate YOUR opinion when you cite buying into a - per your own words - "poorly handled, manipulative system". And yes, loot boxes' inherent properties - being random psychological prey markers - are not arguable. That is fact. Just like that mathematical absolute. Like saying cigarettes are not lecherous because they provide a "good" feeling despite being inherently toxic.

I didn't say anything like that. You clearly can't follow a conversation without attempting to twist and manipulate the dialogue.

I think lootboxes can be handled just fine in game (the prime example, would be a system without monetisation) but I think to act like it's as black and white as you do, naive.

And no your vague references to psychological theory are not the same as a mathematical absolute.

I personally feel that if the monetised systems are offset with realistically achievable non-monetised alternatives, then that can sufficiently mediate risk that consumers will spend excessively. I welcome your presentation of a conclusive body of evidence that disagrees, in any case, I think that this is still up for reasoned debate.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
eh... it's an eye. I thought it was pretty self explanatory, especially considering it only popped up after I killed someone.

In my experience, I've had to explain what it means to an awfully large number of players.

Yes, it's an eye, but that could be intuited to mean all manner of things. One of my friends speculated that it meant he had been marked be someone (spotted by another player).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So is this BR with the best melee? I feel like it's actually threatening, especially on drop when people are still scrambling. The revive system also makes it so you don't feel like you're wasting your life going down swinging.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Got my first win yesterday, and think I'm done for a moment. I'm only solo queueing with randoms on console, and it just feels like the success rate of getting decent teammates who wont disconnect is too low to really put a lot of time and effort into the game right now. I definitely clicked with Bangalore, and my win came by virtue of putting down a ton of smoke and using it to heal repeatedly while I outlasted two other teams.

Maybe if I try to party up more consistently with friends I'll come back and try some of the other legends.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the pack system was rather good, and then I hit level 20 and it's only once every two levels now, plus it looks like you can only get 45 Apex Packs in 100 levels.

That was the biggest disappointment by far.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any good tutorial or help vids out there? I'm alright at the game, but the training mode doesn't seem like enough to try out things.

Oct 27, 2017
Any actual patch notes aside from "Bug fixes?" Got a small update on PS4.

Patch is live on ALL PLATFORMS. Here's the notes:

• Fixes for PS4 crash issues.
    • Addresses issues we saw with GPU hangs.
    • Fixed crash when pressing button early in load process.
  • Fixed issue where players would sometimes move slowly after revive.
  • Fixed issue with Mirage Ability causing crashes.
  • Fixed issue with Gibraltar Epic skins on Xbox One causing crashes
https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/as82zs/apex_legends_2192019_preseason_patch_notes_02/

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Oh wow, it's any platform!

Q: I play Apex Legends on multiple platforms (PC, Xbox One, and PS4). Can I access my content on each platform?

No. Content will be available only on the first platform you log into with your linked EA account. Choose wisely!

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
First Apex pack I opened from the Prime loot had a Legendary Caustic skin. Too bad I don't play Caustic tho

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, it's any platform!

Q: I play Apex Legends on multiple platforms (PC, Xbox One, and PS4). Can I access my content on each platform?

No. Content will be available only on the first platform you log into with your linked EA account. Choose wisely!

So for PS4, I just have to log into the game?? OR how do I link twitch prime to PS4 / Origin? (Will it now since my twitch account is linked on PS4?)

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This stuff can only be redeemed on PC, right?

All three. But it can only be redeemed once, so if you play multi platform it picks the first one you long into with a linked account. Linking PSN / Origin is a hassle if you dont have it set up already already. I dont even know if there is a web page to do this.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
So for PS4, I just have to log into the game?? OR how do I link twitch prime to PS4 / Origin? (Will it now since my twitch account is linked on PS4?)

Seems tied to your EA account rather than your Twitch account. When you go to redeem it on Twitch, it asks you to tie your EA account to it. So you'll connect the EA account to your PS4

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, just lost a 10 kill game because my teammate got glitched into an area he couldn't get out of from a redeploy balloon (and his duo partner went AFK to "do something important" in the final squad v squad). He couldn't even get out with Pathfinder's grapple.
I almost 1v3'd the final squad, but couldn't quite do it, so it would have been a for sure win if that didn't happen to him and his friend didn't leave. That's like impossibly unlucky.

I know this is from like 10 pages back but I wanted to comment. My buddy had something very similar happen to him the other night. He used a redeploy balloon and fell into the geometry of one of the mountains after overshooting a cave entrance. He was quite pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.