• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I was just using a scoped Triple Take to support my two team mates who went up onto a landed supply ship. It was great, kept dropping people as Lifeline tried to res them. Then my team mates were able to mop up more easily.

I think three team mates at long range is pretty useless, but one long range with two short range can be interesting in fights.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've been playing maybe 6 hours all up, enjoying it mostly. I don't play a whole bunch of online games with randoms, and even less with voice chat.

9/10 matches are great, they either say nothing, or are pretty positive in general.

I've had a few matches tho that basically exposed me to the worst of online gaming. Racism and incredibly angry and offensive people.
I actually stopped playing the other day because a guy I was matched with (who I helped up after getting knocked, and who I risked my life to revive) made me feel like shit.

But then I also played with 2 of the nicest individuals I've played with online ever. We also made it to 2nd so that probably says something about these other shitheads who just seem to play all day spitting vitriol into their mics, and also die 5 mins after dropping when they run ahead and yell at you for not following them into oblivion.

Phew, that feels better :D

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend were playing with randoms this morning and got two wins in a row, do we just pack it up and quit now?

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
???

Explain to me what happened here? I'm slow af right now lol. I notice the portals but I don't know why you did that?
all the action takes place after the second portal gets thrown down. toku runs up the hill and throws an arc star through the smoke. a couple seconds later some dope runs up on him and gets mowed down as their teammate gets knocked by the star, then teammate 3 runs outta the smoke and toku blasts them in the face

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing maybe 6 hours all up, enjoying it mostly. I don't play a whole bunch of online games with randoms, and even less with voice chat.

9/10 matches are great, they either say nothing, or are pretty positive in general.

I've had a few matches tho that basically exposed me to the worst of online gaming. Racism and incredibly angry and offensive people.
I actually stopped playing the other day because a guy I was matched with (who I helped up after getting knocked, and who I risked my life to revive) made me feel like shit.

But then I also played with 2 of the nicest individuals I've played with online ever. We also made it to 2nd so that probably says something about these other shitheads who just seem to play all day spitting vitriol into their mics, and also die 5 mins after dropping when they run ahead and yell at you for not following them into oblivion.

Phew, that feels better :D
For future, just mute people like that instantly and they are no problem.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
Actually managed to snag one of the store exlusive skins, which just happens to be tied to the only legendary skin I own. It's a lot nicer than the original too.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
So I had two teammates who refused to stop moving so I could drop a care package for them. I remembered what happened the last time I played nice, so I let them run ahead and get killed. *shrug*

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
all the action takes place after the second portal gets thrown down. toku runs up the hill and throws an arc star through the smoke. a couple seconds later some dope runs up on him and gets mowed down as their teammate gets knocked by the star, then teammate 3 runs outta the smoke and toku blasts them in the face
Ahh ok. I thought the portal had something to do with the play.

"Where you running to? You can't escape justice!" LOL!
*after killing everyone*
"Man, I need some ammo.."

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
why do people pick lifeline if they're not going to bother healing others

i had to use the fucking in game robot chat and my moron teammate still didn't do anything

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills tonight

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I said it before, but I'm just gonna stop supporting people who try to go in everywhere guns blazing. This isn't that sort of game, and kill counts don't matter.
I do dislike lifelines that don't immediately pop their healbot when someone loses life

it's like

that shit ain't limited
RIGHT

like why are you choosing the character specifically designed to heal others if you aren't going to do it?

Oct 27, 2017
So conflicted on whether or not to spend the 10k on the Bangalore skin. Or get mirage/octane.
Those store skins are limited to the store only right?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
My buddy brought his PS4 over the other day and my daughter, him and me played apex for hours, it is pretty great all playing in the same place. though with two 40" tvs and my 65" my living room looks like a control center haha

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Weird confession: Playing this game so much since release has given me a... renewed appreciation for PUBG and what it does.

For a long time I never really liked any other BR because they didn't capture what I love about that game. Fortnite has building and third-person only and awful bloom shooting and constant tiring content updates; Realm Royale was neat and fun for a day but died quickly due to Hi-Rez Hi-Rezing; Islands of Nyne looked interesting but died on launch due to being such a niche thing; Blackout just felt like a cobbled together "polished" PUBG with zero real tension and extreme repetition; Ring of Elysium just looked like a mobile clone of PUBG and it was always changing into some new thing and I felt like I'd get my credit card hacked if I installed it, CSGO Danger Zone is lol

So while I had an inkling I'd like a take on the formula by Respawn more, I was shocked at how much I loved it, given that it's the polar opposite: a AAA fast agile game with heroes with abilites and super high TTK and forced squads and a relatively tiny map. But they really made it work, and that made me happy, because when PUBG took off I kept waiting for someone to actually change and advance the BR formula in a way that felt meaningful and impactful (Fortnite's building is a weird inherited thing that no other game does, Realm Royale came the closest with its fantasy stuff and forge but then it went tail up), and Apex is the first real example to actually succeed at that.

Anyway, the "renewed appreciation" part comes from the fact that after a month+ of playing Apex exclusively, I started dipping back into playing PUBG, and despite having to shake the rust off (remembering that I can't loot while sprinting, and on the first day back I kept instinctively wanting to slide while running or ping loot/enemies)... it actually complimented Apex perfectly for me. Like I could have fun zipping around as Pathfinder and getting half-carried to my daily 1-2 wins with clean kills and snappy looting and guaranteed teammates with a genius pinging system, and then later that day I could be solo in PUBG racing into the zone in a car getting shot at from houses and having no safe place to stop, or feeling super proud of a clutch spray at range or sniper headshot, or feeling my heart racing as I realize there's 3 people left, and having fun even if I inevitably die at #2 or #3 because it felt like a desperate journey. The two games don't even feel like they're actually competing, they both perfectly cater to what they're going for.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The bug that causes you to lose your unequipped weapon while trying to swap for a new one is driving me absolutely fucking insane. I lose so many mods because it drops the wrong gun, all of the mods, and then other people steal them.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Had my first death to someone hiding inside the icon for a downed teammate's banner. It's such a bullshit mechanic. Not sure why the icon needs to be so comically gigantic.

I wonder what Respawn has against stats. They were slow to get them implemented in Titanfall 2 as well. They should have detailed stats for your account and each character. Trying to figure out stuff by poring through all the individual trackers is ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
2 games in a row where my game crashed right to desktop. What the fuck, Apex...My friend has been crashing more often also. No idea what changed, but I went from playing days in a row with no crashing. Hell...weeks. To now I'm crashing every damn night I play.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
After playing Pathfinder exclusivly for a week its now impossible for me to enjoy the other characters

They are all just far to slow

The way Path is able to move. by swinging over and around stuff, is insane

Even going in a straight line is faster thanks to the grapple/jump mechanic

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Golden knockdown shield won me a game, holy shit. In a chaotic final battle it ended up with 2 squads left, or rather, 1v1. The guy downed me but because the game didn't end he assumed I had teammates left. I guess he was sorta panicking because he was on his own but he went looking for them. I revived myself, hid, healed up and then killed him.

I fucking wish I could have seen his face and his teammates who were spectating.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I said it before, but I'm just gonna stop supporting people who try to go in everywhere guns blazing. This isn't that sort of game, and kill counts don't matter

I don't know man. The game is actively pushing kill count stats and it even has an announcer telling you who the new kill leader is. I'd say they designed the game to be all about the kills...it's about the hunt. They don't want Apex to be a camp fest with everyone hiding. The victory is merely the result of them wanting you to be aggressive and get kills. That's my take on it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man. The game is actively pushing kill count stats and it even has an announcer telling you who the new kill leader is. I'd say they designed the game to be all about the kills...it's about the hunt. They don't want Apex to be a camp fest with everyone hiding. The victory is merely the result of them wanting you to be aggressive and get kills. That's my take on it.
Well yeah they want to incentivise kills in a game mode that isn't about kills with pointless brownie points rather than actually tuning the mode in that direction.

(Although to be fair, care packages with genuinely powerful loot and resurrection ships do actually incentivise fighting.)

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah they want to incentivise kills in a game mode that isn't about kills with pointless brownie points rather than actually tuning the mode in that direction.

(Although to be fair, care packages with genuinely powerful loot and resurrection ships do actually incentivise fighting.)

The whole game is tuned around getting into fights and being aggressive. The size of the map sandwiches people together in a way that soon after you get a gun you can pick a fight very fast. The mobility also incentives getting kills. You can spot a team below you and slide down a mountain side to jump them without them even hearing you. You can take zip lines everywhere which makes it easier to start a fight. I think Respawn wanted to make an arena based battle royale and they know the funnest part of the game is fighting with the secondary objective of that being called "Champion" at the end.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The whole game is tuned around getting into fights and being aggressive. The size of the map sandwiches people together in a way that soon after you get a gun you can pick a fight very fast. The mobility also incentives getting kills. You can spot a team below you and slide down a mountain side to jump them without them even hearing you. You can take zip lines everywhere which makes it easier to start a fight. I think Respawn wanted to make an arena based battle royale and they know the funnest part of the game is fighting with the secondary objective of that being called "Champion" at the end.
All true, but none of that really changes the fact that at the end of the day your chances are just as good if not better when you sit on your hands in some corner and jump on the last fight. People fight because they want to fight, not because it particularly helps their odds.

Rather than incentivizing fighting, I'd say Apex doesn't punish it as much as most BRs.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017

I agree.

Playing passive can get you so far. But a passive win is difficult.

The final few squads are usually fully geared up with purples across Armour and attachments and they make a huge difference.

If you have second pickings of death boxes, you are much less likely to to find the good stuff.

It is why aggression matters - you take down squads, you take their loot.

Of course, a passive win can happen. I got a win last night where we were not passive, we just didnt engage in a huge fire fight until the final 2 squads.

We were lucky with loot and took advantage of the ring position.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I agree.

The final few squads are usually fully geared up with purples across Armour and attachments and they make a huge difference.

If you have second pickings of death boxes, you are much less likely to to find the good stuff.

I was watching Shroud and he basically said that they barely loot at the beginning before starting fights. They essentially get a gun and then they go jump people. He also said that they don't even loot supply crates they just take whatever the enemy had on them and move on to the next fight. Now, granted. This IS Shroud we're talking about here and while he might be playing overly aggressive, I think it's the general intention of what Apex is trying to do. Get a gun. Get some armor. Pick a fight. Fast.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Of course, a passive win can happen. I got a win last night where we were not passive, we just didnt engage in a huge fire fight until the final 2 squads.

We were lucky with loot and took advantage of the ring position.
Winning fights increases your odds. If you can't consistently win almost every fight you take, it just doesn't work out, and avoiding unnecessary fighting becomes much more successful.

I was watching Shroud and he basically said that they barely loot at the beginning before starting fights. They essentially get a gun and then they go jump people. He also said that they don't even loot supply crates they just take whatever the enemy had on them and move on to the next fight. Now, granted. This IS Shroud we're talking about here and while he might be playing overly aggressive, I think it's the general intention of what Apex is trying to do. Get a gun. Get some armor. Pick a fight. Fast.
There are ways to meaningfully take things in this direction. Like actively rewarding the kill beyond "maybe they have better loot than us". Right now fighting is essentially a faster but riskier version of looting.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Apex Legends props kills up in many areas but, XP wise, rewards surviving the most. So who knows what Respawn's intentions are. In my experience, a blend of both ends yields the best results. It pays to be opportunistic and not just pick fights because you see them. I also feel I should be able to survive two back-to-back fights without looting deathboxes before I even engage.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
The bug that causes you to lose your unequipped weapon while trying to swap for a new one is driving me absolutely fucking insane. I lose so many mods because it drops the wrong gun, all of the mods, and then other people steal them.
if you're talking about what i think you're talking about, i don't think that's bug—when you don't have a weapon out, the game acts like you have your primary weapon out for the purpose of equipping/deequipping stuff

it is very confusing. i have ~170 hours in this game and i still accidentally switch scopes on my longbow instead of putting a new one on my scopeless r99 all the time

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
After playing Pathfinder exclusivly for a week its now impossible for me to enjoy the other characters

They are all just far to slow

The way Path is able to move. by swinging over and around stuff, is insane

Even going in a straight line is faster thanks to the grapple/jump mechanic

I've never even seen a good or threatening pathfinder on console. For the most part he goes down very quick due to hitbox size, and even those that can use the grapple effectively tend to just put themselves into bad spots. It's very audible, so it kills flanks against good players.
if the 1x HCOG Classic didn't exist I might actually use long-range stuff more. I still take the 4x-8x when I have a Longbow paired with a Wingman/Peacekeeper and want to have a very specific kind of fun, but it honestly feels like the 1x HCOG far outclasses everything else in the game

I often use 2 and 3x scopes on the triple take and hemlock to good effect at mid-range.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I said it before, but I'm just gonna stop supporting people who try to go in everywhere guns blazing. This isn't that sort of game, and kill counts don't matter.
It is and they do though? Going in everywhere guns blazing nets you the best loot, thus wins games. Sure you can get far without them, but how do you think you'll fare when you get to the final squad fight with the current kill leader who has yellow gear and 4+ phoenix kits from all the squads they've downed?

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People play different ways.
This seems to be the best BR where you can play aggressive guns blazing style without tons of cons and barely any pros.
Also I have played enough slow paced "boring" BRs now so its good to have some BR where you can actually have action almost whole match.
Maybe things will change if they add some reward for winning so people will slow down a bit to actually win and not just fight.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
There are ways to meaningfully take things in this direction. Like actively rewarding the kill beyond "maybe they have better loot than us". Right now fighting is essentially a faster but riskier version of looting.

Are you referring to getting skins and cosmetics based on X performance in game type thing? Like wipe 3 players and unlock the yellowjacket skin for example? Otherwise usually the loot you get from wiping a squad is a pretty good reward unless you're already stacked.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Ran into I'm pretty sure my first cheater two nights ago. I was having a fun game where my random teammates died at the beginning and bailed. Somehow I managed to get 4 or 5 kills and make it to the last 3 squads.

So I get into a firefight at the end with a solo and the dude just melts my face from probably 200 yards away with ease. I try to heal but he runs exactly to the spot I tried to hide and kills me. Whatever, not really that fishy I suppose but I'm still shocked by how fast he melted me from a large range. So I spectate him and watch him take out the last squad of 3 solo. Again, he is probably 100-200 yards out and just crushes this squad through a lot of visual debris of bushes and whatnot. It appears he is just holding down the trigger with laser focus and pops all their shields in seconds. Also wasn't using any kind of large scope to even remotely see through the foliage from that far. Before the other team can even really react they are dead without firing a single return shot.

I hate to assume good players are cheaters but I couldn't even see the final squad he was mowing down whilst spectating him. It just seemed too suspect. Really hope Respawn can figure out an effective way to reduce cheating in this otherwise wonderful game.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Are you referring to getting skins and cosmetics based on X performance in game type thing? Like wipe 3 players and unlock the yellowjacket skin for example? Otherwise usually the loot you get from wiping a squad is a pretty good reward unless you're already stacked.
I mean in the match.
Edit: For example in Battlerite Royale people drop gold when you kill them. That's something that just straight-up helps you, no questions asked.

And yeah, the loot is an incentive, but usually not quite worth it if we're talking purely about maximizing your winrate. Doubly so for bad to average players/squads.

My point is that players by and large still fight to fight. Not to win. To me Apex is not the game that solved the "hiding problem" of BRs (if you consider it a problem). It's much closer than any other BR I've played though.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Champion Squad is another mechanic that puts a large emphasis on high-kill games, too, because just winning a match with 2-3 kills usually won't be enough to get Champion. You have to go big.

Status
Not open for further replies.