• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game to bits but lordy am I bad at it. I haven't really been a PC gamer before and I feel like a simple man having a fist fight with Superman in every encounter. I'm getting smashed. Any tips on how to not suck at m/kb FPS most welcome!

I do get spanked but I do go back for more, a sure sign the game doesn't suck (but I do).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was not ready for the recoil on the Devotion.

...Really messed up that engagement...

tenor.gif

My only solace is that both my squaddies were alive at the time and under fire themselves, so they could never see what was happening with me.

Lmao!

Side note, what is it about all my third member randoms today going off on their own almost immediately. Like, no dude, you can't take out entire squads on your own, please stick together if you actually want to survive. I don't even know why I bother trying to save them, but for whatever reason I always try lol.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Okay question.

If I am killed and my teammates are still alive but ignoring me, and I leave the match and return to the lobby, am I getting XP for the kills I got in that previous match?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was with a friend too. It's never happened that late in the game either. Total waste of time it was.
I feel like this when I fire the Devotion:

tenor.gif

It can be incredible though, especially if you get the exotic attachment that quickens the initial spin up time. With that attachment it is essentially an assault rifle chain gun.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game to bits but lordy am I bad at it. I haven't really been a PC gamer before and I feel like a simple man having a fist fight with Superman in every encounter. I'm getting smashed. Any tips on how to not suck at m/kb FPS most welcome!

I do get spanked but I do go back for more, a sure sign the game doesn't suck (but I do).
Lower your sensitivity way below what you're normally comfortable browsing the desktop with and try to get used to it. Your desktop icons aren't strafing left and right when you're trying to click on them, lol.

That's the most general advice and you can start to work from there, but it's important to get a reasonable sensitivity right from the start and practice that, because changing your sens later will require you to completely retrain your muscle memory all over again.

You kind of want to go as low as your mouse pad and desk space will allow, it will feel like dragging your mouse through water at first, but eventually you will start getting used to it and it will really pay off in the long-term.

It sucks to have to get worse before you get better, but most people that have "gotten good" at FPS have gone through it.

Last edited:

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That's a time thing though. If you're specifically looking for a co-op loot game, Apex isn't gonna work. Just like Anthem won't work if you're looking for a PvP game. The games have very little in common.

Well they are both shooters. I am sure there are many people that are interested in both like me. Respawn just made Anthem's fight for an audience more difficult. Especially since Apex is kinda dominating a lot of what the gaming world is talking about at the moment.

Anyway, getting off topic, March 1 is when the battle pass comes out for Apex? Are we expecting Mirage and Caustic to be unlockable in there or will there be different new characters?

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Man I have so many games in my backlog, I definitely didn't need this in my life.

It's the only game I can think about right now.

Haha same here. I have been SUPER diligent this past year about only buying games I know I'll play. My backlog was down to a handful of long games like DQXI and RDR2 and then this game comes out and it's all I want to play. BFV and even Rocket League have gone on the backburner.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Phew

wPF6pha.jpg

First, and probably last, victory of the evening. I've been sleeping on Hemlok, single fire with it is fantastic.

e: oh shit, I didn't realize I was the kill leader too lol. I have peaked for this week.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017

Play single player games to practice mouse aiming.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes and No really. I am probably cancelling my Anthem preorder because of this. I wasnt expecting to like Apex this much.

Same thing for me. There's no point me getting Anthem when this is fulfing my MP fill. Whether it's PvP or PvE, either game would still essentially encompass that same multiplayer jump in and out daily draw.

Who knows though, maybe this time next week I'll be bored with it and want something new, but it certainly doesn't feel like that'll be the case. Only negative really is that the sense of progression isn't great, and the maps don't seem too different in terms of real world play. Hell I barely even realised there were different maps at first.

If Anthem were to include a fully fledged and solid single player campaign, I'd still get it though.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought I would prefer mirage but I really like Caustic - using his gas mines on chokepoints is a really nice way to get alerted that enemies are coming from your flanks - his special is also really useful when you get towards the final circle
Oh for sure, but outside of that and some very specific choke points it's not really useful and both Bangalore and Gibraltar's cover the same purpose on top of being more universally good. The equipment is pretty good for an alarm system and rather humorously blocking doors but neither really seem like the intended use (traps) and are still kinda meh compared to the other Q's.

I don't think he's unusable or anything, like I said I like him, but if you're more worried about getting the better character rather than which one you think is cooler then he is the weaker choice.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
btw, is there a good video series of the basics of mechanics and strategy in the game? A lot I've found are either way too basic and are basically just shit post fake promotional bull shit to get views, or more advanced than I'm really looking for.

Like the folks laughing about how one team doesn't know you can self-heal, or w/e... Well.... I didn't know you could self-heal either. Things like that?
What do you mean by "Self heal"? Do you mean using medkits and syringes or the gold armor that lets you revive yourself? If you didn't know about medkits/syringes I'd say the basic videos couldn't be too basic as using items is a pretty basic part of BR games.

Is this your first BR game? Do you need info on like the flow of how the game works, the circle, eliminations vs downs and all that? Or are you looking for tactics on how to win or survive a gun fight?

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing for me. There's no point me getting Anthem when this is fulfing my MP fill. Whether it's PvP or PvE, either game would still essentially encompass that same multiplayer jump in and out daily draw.

Who knows though, maybe this time next week I'll be bored with it and want something new, but it certainly doesn't feel like that'll be the case. Only negative really is that the sense of progression isn't great, and the maps don't seem too different in terms of real world play. Hell I barely even realised there were different maps at first.

If Anthem were to include a fully fledged and solid single player campaign, I'd still get it though.

Wait what? Maps?

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, which game are you saying has different maps? Apex only has one map.

Nov 15, 2017
I was not ready for the recoil on the Devotion.

...Really messed up that engagement...

tenor.gif

My only solace is that both my squaddies were alive at the time and under fire themselves, so they could never see what was happening with me.
The devotion went from being broken in the early stages of Titanfall 2 to trash in Aplex. They should've kept the original devotion :(

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I how I wish I could have a controller only playlist on PC, I do quite well on Overwatch with controller but don't want to risk it on this when I'm already pretty bad on PS4

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a lot of people say that, myself included. What is it about the game that makes it so moreish?
I think it's kind of just because they nailed every basic aspect of what makes a good feeling, satisfying first-person shooter. It feels comfortable in the same way Call of Duty 4 felt comfortable in 2007. You don't have to worry about the little things, they took care of those.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot of people same that, myself included. What is it about the game that makes it so moreish?
To me it's the whole BR genre. I had the same feeling when Fortnite's BR released. I think the chemical releases in your body BR's give you when you win or almost win are something no other game type does. Being number 1 out of 100 (or 60) people is thrilling. Winning a 6 on 6 MP match in other games is fun and all, going on big kill streaks is great, etc. But there is something about being the lone winner of a huge pool of people that is so much different.

Tack on that the game is polished helps of course.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lower your sensitivity way below what you're normally comfortable browsing the desktop with and try to get used to it. Your desktop icons aren't strafing left and right when you're trying to click on them, lol.

That's the most general advice and you can start to work from there, but it's important to get a reasonable sensitivity right from the start and practice that, because changing your sens later will require you to completely retrain your muscle memory all over again.

You kind of want to go as low as your mouse pad and desk space will allow, it will feel like dragging your mouse through water at first, but eventually you will start getting used to it and it will really pay off in the long-term.

It sucks to have to get worse before you get better, but most people that have "gotten good" at FPS have gone through it.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I just assumed higher sensitivity is better but I guess that takes years of practice. Thanks for the tip!
Play single player games to practice mouse aiming.

Also a good point! I just signed up to Origina Access so I have a few games to practice with :)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot of people say that, myself included. What is it about the game that makes it so moreish?
I think it's because the BR loop is sorta like a roguelike mixed with an FPS. You always have the opportunity to do better with what you had, which makes you want to give it one more go.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like sniping in this game is only good for prematurely exposing your location to an enemy squad. Unless you're a headshot god, the pace of this game doesn't really let you put out the DPS necessary to down someone before they can reach cover. So sniping only feels like a suppression tactic to let your squad-mates approach and flank the enemy, which I feel like doesn't even necessarily require a sniper rifle per say.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, that's what happened. There's no "mechanic" that makes you reload a gun before it's fired. All weapons come with a magazine of ammo.

I've definitely been in situations where you pull the gun out and it does this half-cock animation. Is it some sort of incomplete reload or something if you switch too soon? Could just a bug as well, those do exist.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll give it a shot. I just assumed higher sensitivity is better but I guess that takes years of practice. Thanks for the tip!
High sensitivities often lead to over-tracking your target, requiring multiple small adjustments to get it exactly where you want it, especially if the enemy is rapidly changing directions (AD strafe).

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They do. Double damage means most weapons will shred the shield pretty fast with headshots. There is also the shield-breaking noise you're describing, just like in Blackout! But you'll also know they have no shield because the damage numbers are color-coded: yellow is a headshot, purple/blue/white correspond to the level of their shield, and red means they're shieldless (and so have less than 100 health).

I didn't notice it, I'll have to listen for it just so my ears notice. Blackout's is almost too loud lol. I knew about the different colors but I thought yellow meant they had a yellow-tier shield and red was for headshots. This makes sense.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ATTENTION CONSOLE PLAYERS (X1X specifically)

Does your FPS also tank when doing the bloodhound ult?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely been in situations where you pull the gun out and it does this half-cock animation. Is it some sort of incomplete reload or something if you switch too soon? Could just a bug as well, those do exist.
Yeah... that's not a thing. Gonna need to see a video of that to be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017

I like having 1200 or 1600 dpi and then dropping the in-game sens to, like, 2.0.

I used to play Counter Strike back in the day and the adage used to be "Put your sensitivity where dragging your mouse from the left side to the right on your mousepad creates a perfect 360 in game."

Modern hit detection boxes have made me drop the sens lower and lower.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of just because they nailed every basic aspect of what makes a good feeling, satisfying first-person shooter. It feels comfortable in the same way Call of Duty 4 felt comfortable in 2007. You don't have to worry about the little things, they took care of those.

To me it's the whole BR genre. I had the same feeling when Fortnite's BR released. I think the chemical releases in your body BR's give you when you win or almost win are something no other game type does. Being number 1 out of 100 (or 60) people is thrilling. Winning a 6 on 6 MP match in other games is fun and all, going on big kill streaks is great, etc. But there is something about being the lone winner of a huge pool of people that is so much different.

Tack on that the game is polished helps of course.

Gunplay is so slick that even losing is fun!

I think it's because the BR loop is sorta like a roguelike mixed with an FPS. You always have the opportunity to do better with what you had, which makes you want to give it one more go.

All fair points. This is my first BR, so that could be why this is a fairly new feeling! :D

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like sniping in this game is only good for prematurely exposing your location to an enemy squad. Unless you're a headshot god, the pace of this game doesn't really let you put out the DPS necessary to down someone before they can reach cover. So sniping only feels like a suppression tactic to let your squad-mates approach and flank the enemy, which I feel like doesn't even necessarily require a sniper rifle per say.
I feel like this was intentional. They didn't want people one or two-shotting each other from across the map. This game rewards movement and speed at the expense of camping. But I agree that, toward the end game, the TTK is so high that you have to use shotguns or full auto rifles to have a chance to down someone.

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
I how I wish I could have a controller only playlist on PC, I do quite well on Overwatch with controller but don't want to risk it on this when I'm already pretty bad on PS4

I've said this before and I know it's blasphemous to some, but go ahead and give it a try. I've put about 40 hours in on the PC version and swapped between k/m and controller for a bit. I got to a point where I was competent with k/m but I continued to lose gun battles, either because of the higher TTK, or because I was so nervous that I couldn't quite keep my cursor beaded on the enemy (or both). I finally swapped back to DS4 again and almost immediately noticed a difference. Felt much more confident with the aiming and am able to consistently win encounters. Also couple other points -

• Once they implement cross play they'll be putting controller users vs. k\m anyway.
  • As kinda evidenced by the point above, I think devs also consider controllers viable versus keyboard and mouse as I believe Brad from Giant Bomb mentioned that they were offering controllers to anyone who wanted to use them at the preview event he attended in which they were exclusively showing off the PC version

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i need to work but i want to play.......... :'(

i havent been so enthusiastic about a shooter since... Halo 3? apex gives me that same feeling

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn, another game with Hemlok - 4 kills and 2100 damage dealt. This thing fucking rocks with single fire. Got top 3 too, we were SO CLOSE. I accidentally melee'd when I was supposed to reload my shotgun, I think it's time to unbind F for melee and just stick with left click when I've got my gun holstered.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, another game with Hemlok - 4 kills and 2100 damage dealt. This thing fucking rocks with single fire. Got top 3 too, we were SO CLOSE. I accidentally melee'd when I was supposed to reload my shotgun, I think it's time to unbind F for melee and just stick with left click when I've got my gun holstered.
I use F for marking enemies and melee on my thumb mouse button.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
When should you use Lifeline's ult? I'm always afraid to use it as I think it puts a giant bulls-eye on our location

Status
Not open for further replies.