• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games barely been out a month, y'all have crazy expectations.

This. The game dropped last month, we already had a balance update, a new weapon, hotfixes, a content plan revealing new classes and weapons among other things, info on the upcoming pass, new cosmetics including a Twitch cross-promotion, a couple QoL changes already... what the hell are people expecting? Fortnite BR wasn't dropping mindblowing changes in its first weeks either, it took them some time to start chugging out updates bi-weekly. A Call Of Duty game takes like 2-3 months to start adding any meaningful update. PUBG took a long time to add maps, the pass, skins that don't suck ass, etc.. Overwatch took 2 months to add the first meaningful change (a new character). Destiny ran on auto-pilot apart from balance changes for like 3 months, then a (paid) DLC dropped.

Apex Legends has been out for five weeks. Game development isn't equal to flipping a switch and bam, suddenly you have 3 new maps, a battle pass, 8 new characters, a league mode and 500 QoL updates. Give 'em some time to propose quality updates. One of the reasons the game is so damn good from day 1 is the fact they didn't rush the release, going into early access after 3 months of development just to reach the money bin earlier. They spent a lot of time polishing, testing, and what came out was a functional, complete, balanced product, with relatively few technical issues for a "new" game - these past few years, looking at multiplayer game launches, that's quite a rarity. Give 'em some slack and let them work. I'd rather wait another month for a pass if it means we get something good, rather than them half-assing it and doing a trash variant of the concept like Black Ops IIII's first season had (2/3rds of the pass items were lootboxes, progress was slow as shit, etc.).

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
This. The game dropped last month, we already had a balance update, a new weapon, hotfixes, a content plan revealing new classes and weapons among other things, info on the upcoming pass, new cosmetics including a Twitch cross-promotion, a couple QoL changes already... what the hell are people expecting? Fortnite BR wasn't dropping mindblowing changes in its first weeks either, it took them some time to start chugging out updates bi-weekly. A Call Of Duty game takes like 2-3 months to start adding any meaningful update. PUBG took a long time to add maps, the pass, skins that don't suck ass, etc.. Overwatch took 2 months to add the first meaningful change (a new character). Destiny ran on auto-pilot apart from balance changes for like 3 months, then a (paid) DLC dropped.

Apex Legends has been out for five weeks. Game development isn't equal to flipping a switch and bam, suddenly you have 3 new maps, a battle pass, 8 new characters, a league mode and 500 QoL updates. Give 'em some time to propose quality updates. One of the reasons the game is so damn good from day 1 is the fact they didn't rush the release, going into early access after 3 months of development just to reach the money bin earlier. They spent a lot of time polishing, testing, and what came out was a functional, complete, balanced product, with relatively few technical issues for a "new" game - these past few years, looking at multiplayer game launches, that's quite a rarity. Give 'em some slack and let them work. I'd rather wait another month for a pass if it means we get something good, rather than them half-assing it and doing a trash variant of the concept like Black Ops IIII's first season had (2/3rds of the pass items were lootboxes, progress was slow as shit, etc.).

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
here's a cool thing to do when you're downed

i put my purple shield up and covered my last teammate who was healing in a real dark corner and hadn't been spotted yet. two of the last enemies came to thirst me and ended up emptying their mags on my downed body. teammate finished healing and proceeded to kill them both as they were reloading to win the game.

really helped that they were playing wraith with her dark goth outfit and tiny-ass hitbox!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here's a cool thing to do when you're downed

i put my purple shield up and covered my last teammate who was healing in a real dark corner and hadn't been spotted yet. two of the last enemies came to thirst me and ended up emptying their mags on my downed body. teammate finished healing and proceeded to kill them both as they were reloading to win the game.

really helped that they were playing wraith with her dark goth outfit and tiny-ass hitbox!

That's smart. I also try and be useful when downed. Not only by pinging enemies, but I also often intentionally crawl into my enemies line of fire (if it makes sense in the situation) to give my buddy more cover, perhaps an extra second or two to patch up. Or maybe my teammate hid for a second and I pop up, making the opponent confused about who just went where exactly. Being downed doesn't mean being out.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes!
I love to try to be useful while being downed, fuck with the doors when enemy try to do something, block possible bullets by being in between friend and enemy, etc etc

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Respawn will have had some sort of timetable or schedule laid out long before they launched the game. Were they expecting this many players? Probably not, but that in itself wouldn't have changed their timetable too much I don't think.
So the question is, how long to wait from launch to the start of season 1? We're currently 5 weeks in, during which time we've had one new gun introduced.
I'm trusting the people at Respawn to know what they're doing, but this is a competitive market and they need to be on the ball with things here because a lot of the gamers in this demographic will have pretty short attention spans, especially when a competitor is offering free battle passes for their product right now.

There will come a point where some people will get tired of waiting and move on. I'm not saying we're there yet but I'm not sure a few more weeks of nothing is what's needed here.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn will have had some sort of timetable or schedule laid out long before they launched the game. Were they expecting this many players? Probably not, but that in itself wouldn't have changed their timetable too much I don't think.
So the question is, how long to wait from launch to the start of season 1? We're currently 5 weeks in, during which time we've had one new gun introduced.
I'm trusting the people at Respawn to know what they're doing, but this is a competitive market and they need to be on the ball with things here because a lot of the gamers in this demographic will have pretty short attention spans, especially when a competitor is offering free battle passes for their product right now.

There will come a point where some people will get tired of waiting and move on. I'm not saying we're there yet but I'm not sure a few more weeks of nothing is what's needed here.

Well, they said they'll have the first season starting in March, so unless something changes they'll be quite well in the timeframe. Even March 31 would make Apex Legends one of the shooters that got meaningful updates the quickest this generation. As exemplified above, games like PUBG, Fortnite, Call Of Duty, Destiny, etc. took quite some time to reach the state Apex Legends will be in less than 2 months after launch.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, they said they'll have the first season starting in March, so unless something changes they'll be quite well in the timeframe. Even March 31 would make Apex Legends one of the shooters that got meaningful updates the quickest this generation. As exemplified above, games like PUBG, Fortnite, Call Of Duty, Destiny, etc. took quite some time to reach the state Apex Legends will be in less than 2 months after launch.

PUBG is not even close to being in state that Apex is already and when was PUBG released? 2 years ago? Hah!

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Yes!
I love to try to be useful while being downed, fuck with the doors when enemy try to do something, block possible bullets by being in between friend and enemy, etc etc

Fucking with the doors is the best. Once, a player downed me and was throwing an arc-star at me to finish me, but right as he threw I closed the door right infront of him and he was killed by his own arc-star.

Oct 25, 2017
The games barely been out a month, y'all have crazy expectations.
But the game didn't have a release date? They could have launched in march with a battle pass if they wanted. I understand watching the sandbox for a month but the tweets seem to indicate lots of work still to do.

I can be patient but not sure what the big secret is on their plans. They're the ones who said march to begin with.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Just had a game this morning with the most loot greedy player I've ever seen.

Jumping on every deathbox as soon as it appears while me and the other guy were fighting off enemies. Cleaning out nearby loot bins while I'm using the respawn beacon and diving on care packages the second they land.

Was really hard work. Luckily the other guy I was with was decent, and he revived me a couple of times and pinged loot for me.
Once had a case where I was playing with my bro as well as a rando. We cleared a team but I had traded with the last guy I downed. My teammate walked up to me, started reviving me, then noticed that the box of the last guy I killed was gold. Dude literally stopped reviving me to check the box and then came to pick me up.

Safe to say I did not revive him when he later got downed because I don't play with shit like that.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Once had a case where I was playing with my bro as well as a rando. We cleared a team but I had traded with the last guy I downed. My teammate walked up to me, started reviving me, then noticed that the box of the last guy I killed was gold. Dude literally stopped reviving me to check the box and then came to pick me up.

Safe to say I did not revive him when he later got downed because I don't play with shit like that.

A gold box seen from a distance is like a giant spotlight for other teams. It probably wasn't what he had in mind but looting it before reviving you was the correct play.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I believe people wouldn't be so nervous if they didn't say anything about a battle pass on march. I don't actually need the battle pass to drop something like today but I'd like an announcement, I have in game currency and money that I don't want to spend because I was told a battle pass will come out this month.

If the battle pass was due to a month or two away, I would just use my materials and money in the game or something else, now I just don't receive anything anymore and I can't purchase anything either.

It's not something to get crazy tho, I can play other games as well and do other stuff but when my friends are online this is the game we play (and we still have a lot of fun).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a match where a guy actually stayed to see if I'd revive him while I was squabbin with 5 other players. Ended up surviving with 5 kills to boot and I managed to snag the revive.

We died 20 seconds later but still

It's the principal of a guy just chillin hoping you'll pull through for the team. It's cool when that happens and it tends to happen with the newer players...

Wish more randoms had that mindset. Just B E L I E V E
I tend to stick around a bit and I'll ping myself if my team isn't in a firefight. But once they start running in another direction, and show no interest in grabbing me up, I'll leave :(

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair and somewhat critical, when it comes to a game like Apex, I don't think radio silence is a good thing to practice when they have players with 20+ days on it and millions of others.

If Respawn expects for people to follow, they need to keep people who are investing time into this game in the loop, otherwise they're going to get frustrated. I understand that there are hundreds of gears that need to move at the same time at once, and it takes time to make sure things go smoothly on releases, but it seems that F2P gamers are treating these types of games like mid-long term market investments.

Sadly, I have about 10 days played. A lot of those days were made when it first launched, but I've stopped playing the game as much because it just feels empty. I'm Level 100, stopped getting Apex packs (I've only spent $10, I'm not spending anymore), winning in the game is easy now because of how easy it is to read the patterns of the map's areas, as well as loot patterns with Pit, Swamp, and others.

It really feels like rinse-repeat. The champion leaks are looking good because that's seriously what this game needs, as well as more interesting weapons and maybe some in game events.
This summarizes my feelings perfectly. they never should have said March if they didnt have a date ready and if they do have a date ready they should have told us. With dmc5 and sekiro next week it's looking like I wont even bother with the update or battlepass once it actually drops.

And then I worry how long the next season will take. One new hero and some more levels to grind for arent going to keep holding players attention for another few months. shroud and justin were bitching about not wanting to play the game because of how boring it's become and twitch numbers are dropping. I worry they wont be able to keep up with content to keep it relevant.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was updated and no longer is up. I'm telling you this thing isnt coming out until the last possible day in March.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't record it and I'm never gonna top it.

Landed as pathfinder and ran around with no gun in the beginning. Guy comes up to me starts shooting. I start punching. He goes to jump off the building and I throw my grapple. It barely catches his head as he drops down. Pulls him back up. I punch him and kill him.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
This summarizes my feelings perfectly. they never should have said March if they didnt have a date ready and if they do have a date ready they should have told us. With dmc5 and sekiro next week it's looking like I wont even bother with the update or battlepass once it actually drops.

And then I worry how long the next season will take. One new hero and some more levels to grind for arent going to keep holding players attention for another few months. shroud and justin were bitching about not wanting to play the game because of how boring it's become and twitch numbers are dropping. I worry they wont be able to keep up with content to keep it relevant.
It is actually impossible to keep you happy by any current standards.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is actually impossible to keep you happy by any current standards.
Disagree entirely. Communication alone would mitigate a lot of peoples' frustration. It also doesnt change the fact that the reality isnt going to be kind to this game of this is the pace and communication they're going to take. People lose interest quickly, and there are so many good games to play.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The game has been out a month and people are complaining about being burned out? There is no reason for them to rush a half-baked battlepass and if they need to take an extra week or so to make it right then so be it.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't record it and I'm never gonna top it.

Landed as pathfinder and ran around with no gun in the beginning. Guy comes up to me starts shooting. I start punching. He goes to jump off the building and I throw my grapple. It barely catches his head as he drops down. Pulls him back up. I punch him and kill him.

Your opportunity to do a cheesy edit that includes Scorpion's "Get over here!" is gone!

The game has been out a month and people are complaining about being burned out? There is no reason for them to rush a half-baked battlepass and if they need to take an extra week or so to make it right then so be it.

I'd be burnt out too if I spent 10 days playing already.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree entirely. Communication alone would mitigate a lot of peoples' frustration. It also doesnt change the fact that the reality isnt going to be kind to this game of this is the pace and communication they're going to take. People lose interest quickly, and there are so many good games to play.

I mean, the game has been out 5 weeks. They comunicated from the get go that March will see the first big update. They already released a new weapon, some cosmetics, QoL changes, etc. in what is just a month. Most multiplayer games are still busy making sure the servers don't shit themselves in the first 2 months, Apex Legends on the other hand already delivered multiple things, and has a couple weeks to deliver on their March promise. There's been hints. They are addressing issues, talking about the changes they are bringing or considering, from the anti-cheat measures to the balance of hitboxes. Not sure why you're acting they are in radio silence and aren't doing anything, at this timeframe they are still well ahead of the curve.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again that's fine. Were just pointing out that this isnt going to be enough to keep the game's popularity where it is.

I mean, the game has been out 5 weeks. They comunicated from the get go that March will see the first big update. They already released a new weapon, some cosmetics, QoL changes, etc. in what is just a month. Most multiplayer games are still busy making sure the servers don't shit themselves in the first 2 months, Apex Legends on the other hand already delivered multiple things, and has a couple weeks to deliver on their March promise. There's been hints. They are addressing issues, talking about the changes they are bringing or considering, from the anti-cheat measures to the balance of hitboxes. Not sure why you're acting they are in radio silence and aren't doing anything, at this timeframe they are still well ahead of the curve.
Apex also has server issues to workout, a month in so idk why that example got brought up. I never said they weren't doing anything or are in radio silence dont put words into my mouth.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
A gold box seen from a distance is like a giant spotlight for other teams. It probably wasn't what he had in mind but looting it before reviving you was the correct play.
Ah yes, gold boxes can be seen through walls apparently. :D We were in the area next to swamps (forgot the name) inside a building. So it was more loot greed than what you're saying. I would've agreed otherwise.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again that's fine. Were just pointing out that this isnt going to be enough to keep the game's popularity where it is.

Well, the people who have hundreds of hours in and are burnt out by the post-level-100 grind are a minority. Destiny was also a grindfest for me after a few days, but I spent about 200 hours on it in just over 2 weeks, you do the math on that. Like in Fortnite, there's people who finish the pass 3 weeks early and then just play for shits and giggles or move to other games while waiting for a new season. There's no ideal way to keep the grinders entertained without making it feel that the players who only play an hour per day are missing out on all the content.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

Apex also has server issues to workout, a month in so idk why that example got brought up. I never said they weren't doing anything or are in radio silence dont put words into my mouth.
Again, we don't know the extent of the battlepass yet so maybe wait until we get more details before proclaiming doom and gloom for Apex?
Not everyone has played the game for 200+ hours yet so the popularity is still there as the games population is constantly increasing at an insane rate.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ok probably a silly question but can someone explain to me exactly what a battlepass is and how it works?
I know DOTA has them but I never looked into them so only have a very basic understanding of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok probably a silly question but can someone explain to me exactly what a battlepass is and how it works?
Seasonal based progression system.
Basically if you buy one during the season and then do a bunch of challenges or whatever associated with the battle pass you earn unique rewards. Then the next season starts and you buy the new battle pass for it.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
It's happening!

giphy.gif

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
On PC, is it a known issue where the game fails to start? The banner displays and the anti-cheat loading bar finishes, but nothing happens. I have to restart my PC to fix it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is not going to be the battle pass announcement. It just says that some guys will be playing with Caustic and some giveaways.
This is fucking hilarious if its true. How they could be so oblivious...like at least preface this that it wont be the battlepass so people dont get pissed (and then also give a date which shouldn't be hard to do at this point)

Status
Not open for further replies.