• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
The best play I've done in a while.

My two squad mates are down, we are close to the final circle, 2 other squads left, and my health is very low, so I had to retreat.

I heal and recharge and hear gun fire the other 2 squads are engaging. I go on the attack hoping to pick the losing squad off.

One squad takes out the other so I go in for the kill. I down Wraith and Lifeline... but I know Traps are nearby, so Caustic may be floating around.

I am weak so retreat again to heal up.

I hear a revive and I think the 3rd squad member is reviving them. I think of my options and realise I can climb on a box attack from behind them.

I go in, take down Wraith and Mastif Lifeline. Champion!

In hindsight I think one of them likely had a yellow knock down shield and self revived.

But I am glad I didnt take them down first time, because I loved my clutch moment.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
One of the best things about ranked is that even in unranked now ppl have started to actually care about positioning. Fights have become way more interesting.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last night was so bad. I was playing well, but literally every single teammate of mine was trash. I'm not even being hyperbolic, I played like 5 or 6 matches and I don't think they had more than 6 kills combined. Then again some also left during the character select (fuck those) or as soon as downed (fuck those even harder). I killed multiple full teams on my own, probably got like 10 revives in these matches, but I barely even progressed in anything bar a couple kill/damage challenges. The game even crashed once, luckily enough it was in the menu.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Levelling ranked has been a real grind, partly because sometimes you just have shite lands where even after looting 3-5 rooms and cannisters you still have no weapon and get destroyed, also because random team mates are so often mind numbingly inept (running or dropping off on their own, joining a gunfight whilst standing slap bang in the middle of a wide open area with no cover, camping in some building not wanting to engage even when you've killed two members of the enemy squad and taken the last down to one shot etc), and also partly because nearly everyone just plays it safe and slow in ranked.

I'm Gold 1 now, should hit Platinum tomorrow, but not even sure I want to work my way up to Diamond in fear of the games being too much of a campy sweat fest, especially playing solo.

I think they need to double the amount of RP gained by getting kills, and/or increase the kill RP limit to 10 and also offer 1 RP for every 300 damage someone does, that way people will actually start hunting for kills again instead of playing so cautiously and conservatively.

Last edited:

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Levelling ranked has been a real grind, partly because sometimes you just have shite lands where even after looting 3-5 rooms and cannisters you still have no weapon and get destroyed, also because random team mates are so often mind numbingly inept (running or dropping off on their own, joining a gunfight whilst standing slap bang in the middle of a wide open area with no cover, camping in some building not wanting to engage even when your team mate has killed two members of the squad and taken the last down to one shot etc), and also partly because nearly everyone just plays it safe and slow in ranked.

I'm Gold 1 now, should hit Platinum tomorrow, but not even sure I want to work my way up to Diamond in fear of the games being too much of a campy sweat fest, especially playing solo.

I think they need to double the amount of RP gained by getting kills, and/or increase the kill RP limit to 10 and also offer 1 RP for every 300 damage someone does, that way people will actually start hunting for kills again instead of playing so cautiously and conservatively.
I agree with everything you said. I'm almost to Plat 3 and I almost never engage fights unless I'm in the top 10. Pretty boring

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just reached Platinum and was immediately matched with an Apex Predator champion, haha. Going to wait a while for the player pool to grow.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything you said. I'm almost to Plat 3 and I almost never engage fights unless I'm in the top 10. Pretty boring

Super boring and while the hectic action of quickplay can get repetitive to some people, I much prefer it to rankeds slow play. I agree on rewarding individual stats even more (damage / respawns) because as it is now, there's zero incentive to look for fights until you're top 10. And that takes forever in platinum because everyone is hiding like you are. I've barely seen people go for banners and respawns! Just hide and pray they get their entry points back. Giving a couple points for damage and respawns would mix it up in favor of aggressive players.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that you're competing with your teammates for kills in Ranked, so many times I'm shooting at players but don't get the last shot and miss out on the points. It's a team game, everyone on the team should be awarded points for squad kills in some way.

As it is, when you get into a fight you're risking: placement points by dying, getting third partied, your teammates getting points for kills, so you might just be looking at some loot as the only reward for engaging...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that you're competing with your teammates for kills in Ranked, so many times I'm shooting at players but don't get the last shot and miss out on the points. It's a team game, everyone on the team should be awarded points for squad kills in some way.

As it is, when you get into a fight you're risking: placement points by dying, getting third partied, your teammates getting points for kills, so you might just be looking at some loot as the only reward for engaging...

And that's if the loot goblins don't get to it before you. Lol.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Was able to finish out all my BP leveled challenges this week, got most of my weeklies done, and the 5/10 daily challenge reward. Not bad, considering I will be gone for a week now, next weekend might be a grind to stay on track though, but I'll see what I can do.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

They should base the RP off damage instead.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

It's sort of a weird system to address. Because if everyone gets points for a kill, then that strengthens the ability for people to sell carries on smurf accounts. Ideally, Respawn could find a way to give points to everyone on the team that did damage to the enemy (provided your team is the one that knocks them). I'm just not sure how easily that could be done.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Rewarding damage just opens it up for people to pick at teams to farm. Slows the game down even further and doesn't prove anything. No thanks.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
I wanted damage rp too but with kills be capped at 5 it works since you should be shooting for high placement as your top priority anyway. 1-2 kills and top 5 placement is a solid ranked game even of you feel like your kills are getting stolen

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
While I would like to see damage get points I feel like it also makes longbow camping stronger since pot shots at teams is farming damage hard. It's probably the best way to rack up 2K+ damage even if you don't get many kills. Especially as more people hunker down with wattson and make it hard to push.

I do think they could find a better balance though. I've had early game tears with a devotion or something where I basically do 90%+ of the damage but don't get that last bullet that downs, which just feels really bad.

Spykupp

Aug 22, 2018
I think they should just copy Battlefield and have "kill assist counts as kill" so if you do say 80% damage to someone and someone else kills them it would still count as a kill for you.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I think there should be something to encourage more team play. But I see that being easily abusable. Lots of people would probably sit on the corners of the map and take turns downing themselves with grenades and reviving for RP.

I mean, people will find ways to abuse everything in the game, might as well make it so people who do risk their necks to revive teammates a little something too. It is a team based BR.

-edit-
Also, if people down themselves with grenades, someone will come and attack, and you will be out of grenades to use! I don't think that would be that large of an issue.

I've stopped playing ranked for awhile, I prefer the fast paced action of running from fight to fight.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about passive play in ranked but those final fights with 7 squads left in one tiny area are INCREDIBLE and Tense and everything good about Apex. The abilities really come into play here.

Also last night they landed the final circle on Water Treatment which is a stupid but fun area. You got people on multiple floors, some on the roof, and then if you are outside the area and the circle is closing in you gotta make a mad dash through an actual flat, no cover, no mans land to get in.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. Rewarding damage would just further encourage camping and long distance gun fights. They should just introduce and reward you for assists.

How would it reward camping? Camping means you sit in a corner and don't fire a shot until the final circle usually.

In the current system I could get 1200 damage in a game and get 1 kill but my team mates could've gotten more kills because they fired the bullet that killed the enemy. So at the end of the match they have 150 damage and 3 kills while (giving them 3 RP) and I would 1. Doesn't make any sense to me.

SEBattleship

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How would it reward camping? Camping means you sit in a corner and don't fire a shot until the final circle usually.

In the current system I could get 1200 damage in a game and get 1 kill but my team mates could've gotten more kills because they fired the bullet that killed the enemy. So at the end of the match they have 150 damage and 3 kills while (giving them 3 RP) and I would 1. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't think your definition of camping is all encompassing. I equate campy gameplay as holding down one area and taking pot shots from that area and defending it.

As per your example above, if they added assists to the game and rewarded .5 points per assists you could potentially have more points than your teammates that had more kills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Having assists count as kills while the overall kill count is still capped at 5 would be ideal, I believe. I'm always a bit annoyed at not getting kills for doing 100+ damage but couldn't push it all the way and got downed in between, only for a teammate to do the last 15 damages needed to fully kill them and get that kill while... honestly I did most of it?

Anyway, did a lot of ranked today, I'm in Gold I now. Aiming to reach Platinum and then that's probably gonna be the end of my grind, cause I'm way too rubbish to push for more, let's be real. It's probably honestly a travesty I'd reach Platinum in the first place, if I'm being honest with myself.

However I had a hilarious moment in a game today, in ranked, in which one of my teammate got properly killed between Runoff & Slum Lakes, then the other teammate got downed at the end of Slum Lakes. Decided to be crazy and see if I could get their banner/revive them, took the jump tower, saw that the team that downed /killed my mates was still there, they started shooting at me, chasing me, I ran like crazy between Slum Lakes & Runoff, doing my best to evade their tons of bullets. Heard some distant gunshot in Runoff, decided to run there (while still being chased by a full team) and randomly shot my gun to make my position known to everybody and attract the team already in Runoff. Bolted the fuck out of Runoff to the Pit, while the team that was at Runoff started engaging with the team that was chasing me. Got out of the Pit to Slum Lakes, used the Jump Tower again just in time to grab the banner of the dude that got downed between Slum Lakes & Runoff and eventually died out (the other timed out), got the fuck out of there again through Slum Lakes to Containment, running for my life while I could hear fun things happening in Runoff thanks to my evil ass (and that made my teammates laugh a lot), to res him in Artillery. We didn't win this game, but boy did I feel clever baiting the hell out of people, creating teamfights out of thin air just to save my ass cause no way I was gonna 1V3 that team, and they were hella thirsty for me!

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
[

I don't think your definition of camping is all encompassing. I equate campy gameplay as holding down one area and taking pot shots from that area and defending it.

As per your example above, if they added assists to the game and rewarded .5 points per assists you could potentially have more points than your teammates that had more kills.

Yeah I could see assists working if they won't do damage for RP. But I think we all agree that something needs to change because the current system actually promotes more camping because you get RP for making it to #10 in the match. In theory you can climb through Silver and Gold by basically getting to top 10 and getting one kill.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Too easy to abuse.
Land at the edge of the map. Have your teammates jump off the edge. Respawn them for RP.

Teammates use nades to knock themselves and you revive them.

I guess, sure, if that is how you want to play the game, knock yourself out? The higher you get in ranked, the more you will want to play with randoms less, and get a squad together anyway. If they cheese it, so what?

People will always find ways to cheese everything, regardless, might as well make it so the people who do play the game get the points too. You can still cap it like you do with kills, and once the circle moves, they won't have the loot and will die almost instantly from circle or from a squad who is set up in the next circle.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easier said than done but ideally there would be a formula where it accounts for damage, downs, kills and gives you RP base on that.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Finally, no more connection issues, returning to main screen ect, can just play the game without disruption!

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Top players will absolutely farm and abuse what they can. Look at all those twitch and league tournaments where kills give you points. They farm.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that Ranked games like the one where I fought everyone up close, had over 600 damage with 0 kills while my teammates got them all didn't feel great. There's always the possibility of racking up damage by spamming Longbow from far away though, so just counting damage for RP probably wouldn't cut it.

I think I'd want the whole squad to benefit with RP from getting kills, no matter who gets the last shot. It's a team game and you're supposed to be happy that you beat a squad, not look at the top right corner, see no kills and feel annoyed that you got no RP out of it.

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Picked Gibralter for a daily challenge and ended up getting the win in ranked. I had a Devotion from the start of the match that I quickly found a load of ammo, attachments and turbocharger for. That thing absolutely shreds, probably my favourite gun in the game.

I do like the character specific challenges as they can push you out of your comfort zone.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The rest is up for debate, but killstealing within a squad and different RP costs per rank definitely have to go in future seasons.

RP for kills could increase as the number of squads go down. This could even be paired with removing survival bonus entirely. X RP for the whole squad per kill + bonus for current squad count, Y RP for winning. This would reduce the reward for both hot dropping skull town just to farm kills and camping your way to end game just to die immediately. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A turbocharged devotion is def one of the best guns in the game. Little recoil, no bullet drop. It was already good but now you can put energy mags on it too which is overkill.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Easier said than done but ideally there would be a formula where it accounts for damage, downs, kills and gives you RP base on that.

Yeah. The one thing I LOVE about Apex's RP scoring is that it's predictable though...What you're describing is sort of a "Performance Based" RP system similar to what Overwatch has which, as great as it was back in the day, became infuriating when trying to climb. You had games where it'd give you very little XP as you hit what the game thought was your peak. So if OW thought you were a high Plat, then good luck on figuring out how to get out because there's so many factors going into that XP.

Arutha

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hit Platinum yesterday. What a disapointment... Campers everywhere, waiting silently in random houses, third party snipers killing all fights between two teams (could happen before, but there it is the usual). Apex was so fast paced, movements and strategy, it's now a waiting game for a final explosion between six teams.
3 RP as entry cost has drastically changed the game. But I'll persevere, there's always fun moments. And normal matches to cool down a little.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Man, those Battle Pass levels seem like they scale up in terms of XP required to progress to the next level at a really steep rate.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
friend and I got matched with a good pubby in gold yesterday—total nutball guy who, like us, immediately bombs toward every fight that he hears and just dives in. i think we won 5 games (with 20-25 squad kills in some of them) before we started to lose the plot (I started getting sleepy, we took some bad fights, yadda yadda). the game is so much more fun when the whole squad is on the same page like that

so far gold is exactly the same as silver and bronze. the range of skill (in both pubby teammates and enemies) is so wide that it basically feels like playing unranked, except that there are usually more scared one-man squads trying to eke out points in the last couple circles.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Picked Gibralter for a daily challenge and ended up getting the win in ranked. I had a Devotion from the start of the match that I quickly found a load of ammo, attachments and turbocharger for. That thing absolutely shreds, probably my favourite gun in the game.

I do like the character specific challenges as they can push you out of your comfort zone.
A turbocharged devotion is def one of the best guns in the game. Little recoil, no bullet drop. It was already good but now you can put energy mags on it too which is overkill.
yeah, I definitely go for it when I can, it is so strong when fully kitted

also, got this legendary skin for it in my last box so I'm gonna take that as a sign to keep using it lol
Nitro-Kustom-Devotion.png

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Man the road out of Sliver I into Gold IV felt longer than expected today. I must have played for 4 or 5 hours and maybe was matched with one person Silver II or above. It was always Silver IV and below. Sorry, i'm not good enough to carry lol.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wasn't aware of that. That's... weird?
i think it's cool. it lets them balance progression around players getting diminishing returns for hours played in a week past a certain point, meaning it's basically a catch-up mechanism for people who don't play a dozen hours a day

benj

Oct 27, 2017
after solo queueing at Gold III for my dailies today, I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna do that again. in 10 games I got maybe two squads that were not out-and-out useless in a fight. people have some really incredible ideas about who and what is to blame for them going down in a fight

also, what is with pubbies and dropping bunker? why do people still try that

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to do solo launches now. Jump master wants to hot drop? Have fun for 30 seconds I'll land elsewhere. Sane jump? Sure I'll dive

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going from Platinum ranked games to normal un-ranked games made the latter feel like easy mode earlier today. 3 wins out of 5 games with randoms in pub, whilst in ranked a win was much harder to come by. Not sure I even want to rank up to Diamond in fear of things getting even more conservative and simultaneously sweaty, thus also less fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.