• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, if you are okay at the crapshow that Apex has shown with servers, networking, and overall balance since release you are insane. It's pretty obvious the game has major problems. I'm so sorry some people are not lost in the sauce over Apex Legends anymore. I had over 200 wins in S1. I think I can say whatever I want about it.
-

Crapshow? That's totally subjective and that's your opinion. Stop acting like a know-it-all about the game when plenty of others enjoy it as is. You really love to judge things based on numbers. How about fun factor? Do you attach a number to that to? "Hmm, I'm only experiencing a 6.2 out of 10 here with my enjoyment of Apex. Best to stop playing". I had 120 season wins in S1....Who cares? I had a blast playing it.

It's not like Respawn aren't trying to address the bugs. They certainly made Apex a better game in S2 with the improved BP, hop ups for shitty weapons, ranked mode, changed map locations and Wattson being added to the game. What more do you want? And since you love numbers so much: I've spent around $60 total on the game so far and my "entertainment return on investment" is through the roof.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
49x9d7y0ejc31.jpg

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I just quoted you the numbers in question.
No, you didn't. There was fully not a single number in your post. You just waved your hand toward the idea of things that are represented in numbers, as if that's the same. That's not "paraphrasing articles," that's you not being able to back up what you're saying.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
-

Crapshow? That's totally subjective and that's your opinion. Stop acting like a know-it-all about the game when plenty of others enjoy it as is. You really love to judge things based on numbers. That's a pretty miserable way to go through life. How about fun factor? Do you attach a number to that to? "Hmm, I'm only experiencing a 6.2 out of 10 here with my enjoyment of Apex. Best to stop playing". I had 120 season wins in S1....Who cares? I had a blast playing it.

It's not like Respawn aren't trying to address the bugs. They certainly made Apex a better game in S2 with the improved BP, hop ups for shitty weapons, ranked mode, changed map locations and Wattson being added to the game. What more do you want? And since you love numbers so much: I've spent around $60 total on the game so far and my "entertainment return on investment" is through the roof.

Exactly and the player count is insanely high. Not everyone watches or streams games so twitch numbers are not a be all end all if you try to use that. The game isn't for everyone but to try to downplay it and say it's horrible crapshow is laughable. I get frustrated with the errors but you know what... For a F2p popular online game it's been pretty smooth overall.

With the amount of paid cosmetics I've seen and with comments on what people had spent at the launch of s2 I think the game is doing fine in the $ department. Even with that said, Respawn needs to get a store up like seige or any other GAAs game ASAP to make more $ though. The weekly rotation of items in the team that says store isn't enough. You should be able to browse all items available at any time. I'm sure it will come when they have more inventory but it's a must if they want money long term.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
The only numbers that matter are his 200 S1 wins which makes him an expert on how the game is doing.

/s

And EA stocks down cause they only make Apex..lol!! The article even said Activision had recent declines in the same period as well.. You do realize stocks can slide if the entire sector has a troubled forecast? Basically all companies will take a hit. Example healthcare goes down like 90% of healthcare stocks take a hit. There is so many things factored into stock prices that article doesn't go into. Yes Apex S2 launched but what else happened around that time that could be driving prices down. Was the entire market down, economic concerns, etc...

There is an article now from 7/25 from wedbush that set EAs price target at $122 and rated as a buy. Is that all Apex, of course not. But don't act like one game is necessarily controlling a stock like EA and the game is a total failure due to a slight stock decrease. I'm not posting the recent article since I'm getting the updates out of a stock app. You can search on EA stock news on your own.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Exactly and the player count is insanely high. Not everyone watches or streams games so twitch numbers are not a be all end all if you try to use that. The game isn't for everyone but to try to downplay it and say it's horrible crapshow is laughable. I get frustrated with the errors but you know what... For a F2p popular online game it's been pretty smooth overall.

With the amount of paid cosmetics I've seen and with comments on what people had spent at the launch of s2 I think the game is doing fine in the $ department. Even with that said, Respawn needs to get a store up like seige or any other GAAs game ASAP to make more $ though. The weekly rotation of items in the team that says store isn't enough. You should be able to browse all items available at any time. I'm sure it will come when they have more inventory but it's a must if they want money long term.

Yeah exactly. Let's save the word "crapshow" for actual crapshow games like Fallout 76 or Anthem where there were legit gamebreaking issues that affected the whole experience. Apex has issues but the gameplay is solid and overall the rollout of the game has been smooth by comparison.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Yeah exactly. Let's save the word "crapshow" for actual crapshow games like Fallout 76 or Anthem where there were legit gamebreaking issues that affected the whole experience. Apex has issues but the gameplay is solid and overall the rollout of the game has been smooth by comparison.
LOL how is codeleaf not a game breaking issue? These kinds of disconnects are far worse in S2 now nevermind packet loss, poor tickrate, and overall poor matchmaking in general servers.

And EA stocks down cause they only make Apex..lol!! The article even said Activision had recent declines in the same period as well.. You do realize stocks can slide if the entire sector has a troubled forecast? Basically all companies will take a hit. Example healthcare goes down like 90% of healthcare stocks take a hit. There is so many things factored into stock prices that article doesn't go into. Yes Apex S2 launched but what else happened around that time that could be driving prices down. Was the entire market down, economic concerns, etc...

There is an article now from 7/25 from wedbush that set EAs price target at $122 and rated as a buy. Is that all Apex, of course not. But don't act like one game is necessarily controlling a stock like EA and the game is a total failure due to a slight stock decrease. I'm not posting the recent article since I'm getting the updates out of a stock app. You can search on EA stock news on your own.
How exactly has S2 gotten better than at the prime of its hype? It's been errors, instability, and issues with ranked, general servers, and tech behind their networking ever since. How does one imagine these things make the game MORE popular when BRs are overall declining in revenue?

Resetera on Apex is like the exact opposite of the official reddit at this point outside of the teeny meme culture. I'm sorry people disagree with the overall consensus here. I'm not going to change my mind though. Game is a mess atm.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

The article doesn't blame Apex for the drop - did you even read the thing? It actually says that Anthem offset the success of Apex in their earnings and then goes on to claim that these are the actual reason for the drop. Direct copy and paste from the article.

EA Drop Factors – 4th of July, Trade War, Non-Farm Payroll and the Fed

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Using the game's Twitch numbers as a dig has always seemed a little odd to me. It's constantly hovering around the top 10 most viewed games on the platform after being out for 6 months.

I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out on interest or viewership quite yet. Believe me, there's far more egregious examples in the same genre if you believe it to be viable metric for success or failure.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Servers have felt dreadful for what feels like a full calendar month now. The codeleaf thing not being fixed in any patches since before S2 even started is pretty insane. Trying to partner up with friends on PS4 will often have a glitch where one buddy will not make it into the game until we disband Party chat, quit game, leave each others session and more. Really grinds down on the fun there.

Still feels like they have no idea what they're doing with the Weekly Shop. I spent my crafting materials and now its just looking at the terrible stuff they cycle through at a bizarrely slow rate, now with 8% off the apex coin prices.

I finally started climbing the Ranked league after letting the top brass have their way with it for a few weeks. Only in Silver currently, but the amount of numbnuts I get paired with makes it feel like I should just ditch them entirely each game and go hide until the top 3 each round until I make it to Gold where hopefully the quality standard goes up.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Still feels like they have no idea what they're doing with the Weekly Shop. I spent my crafting materials and now its just looking at the terrible stuff they cycle through at a bizarrely slow rate, now with 8% off the apex coin prices.

They should really do something with the legend tokens economy in the future. Some kind of real sink, as they're impossible to spend up as it currently stands.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using the game's Twitch numbers as a dig has always seemed a little odd to me. It's constantly hovering around the top 10 most viewed games on the platform after being out for 6 months.

I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out on interest or viewership quite yet. Believe me, there's far more egregious examples in the same genre if you believe it to be viable metric for success or failure.

Indeed. PUBG and Fortnite are two beasts, I don't see any way a game could get even 1/10th of those games' playerbases (even Call Of Duty and Battlefield tried, and they went nowhere near). Apex Legends is essentially a Titanfall spin-off BR game, which means it's a rather technical fast-paced, acrobatic and technical shooter, with a harder entry barrier than something like Fortnite (where the pros are insane but where there's millions of people who barely know how to hold a controller, so even a newcomer is fine, plus third person tends to be easier than first for beginners). They definitely mishandled many elements of the post-launch support, but the game is still one of the most player multiplayer games around, and this without being on Switch or on mobiles (Fortnite is on both of those, with PUBG "only" on mobiles, where, however, it's huge).

Apex is doing fine player number wise, especially considering the launch went A LOT better than EA or Respawn expected. Even if they dropped by a lot, chances are they are still ahead of their own expectations 6 months in. It's telling that they delayed two other Titanfall projects (one of which was supposed to come out this year) because they wanted more hands on deck for Apex. If the game underperformed, this would have not happened - if anything, they would have accelerated the development for that game to cover for their losses on Apex.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PS4 it is worse than I have ever seen it in terms of connection issues, getting dropped out of games, and lag. It is extremely frustrating because every round of a Battle Royale game is already a roll of the dice. Also, everything having to do with the battle box/ loot pass/ microtransaction / crafting whataver looks bad and I continue to ignore it all.

On the plus side, the actual game feels more balanced than ever. I see people doing well with basically any combination of characters and weapons now. Ranked mode has been amazing, and it feels like there are a lot of people playing even when I get on at odd hours.

Basically I can understand how one person could think the game is completely fucked and another could think it is better than ever.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't think Apex is in danger or anything. Just interest is definitely not high right now with the mass of issues, which apparently a few here just pretend don't exist.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Me after that finishing my 50 lmg headshot weekly challange

Man that was a painful challange. Devotion sucks, Spitfire is rare and L-Star doesnt exist.
I got both the 10 knocks with an L-Star and the 50 LMG headshots 😩

I don't have a problem with the L-Star other than it's impossible to find. The LMG headshots suck. I got about 26 done so far and it's the worst.

Well at least it's a relief to see I'm not the only suffering from those. The 50 LMG headshots one is painful for someone like me who doesn't particularly aim for heads in a fight. It's super slow. All headshots challenges are quite the suffering for me actually, I had a daily challenge of getting 10 headshots with Wattson the other day, it took me hours to complete, because I'm rubbish at headshotting. But at least I can see it progress ever so slightly, since I got 26 for the LMG so far, more than half.
The L-Star, man, I'm so gutted I just don't wanna talk about it anymore. I just hope they also didn't insert shitty challenges with other rare weapons like Kraber & Mastiff, because looting them can be so damn hard and frustrating in the first place, it's all just down to having a shitloat of luck. And that sucks hard.

Straight up OP with the turbocharger. Goddamn.

Yeah, but you need to find the Turbocharger for it to be OP. Spitfire is good to go on the fly and doesn't need any additional hop-ups to make it work in an effective way. That plus I just don't like the feel of energy weapons most of the time. That been said, I'd still take on a Devotion if I find one with lots of energy ammo around (which is another problem, it's still a bit too rare for my liking).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People using twitch numbers amuse me because viewers mean jack shit. I'd be more interesting in seeing unique number of streamers, not their viewers.

All it takes is 1-2 popular streamers playing a game and it gets shot up to top 3. If summit or Ninja or someone started playing Jak and Daxter it would get shot to the top of twitch.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Apex is in danger or anything. Just interest is definitely not high right now with the mass of issues, which apparently a few here just pretend don't exist.
I don't think anyone is saying there aren't issues. What people are saying is that none of the stuff you're citing actually indicates that "interest isn't high"—you're jumping to specious conclusions and then trying to back them up with unrelated numbers that you seem to be misinterpreting.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying there aren't issues. What people are saying is that none of the stuff you're citing actually indicates that "interest isn't high"—you're jumping to specious conclusions and then trying to back them up with unrelated numbers that you seem to be misinterpreting.
I'm not misinterpreting anything man. The only thing that will convince you is hard numbers. You check those August revenues if it stays like this. Shit will be abysmal.

No one is saying they can't fix these things and come out all the better for it. The idea is a lot of people are fairly bored or unhappy with the game. Which is fine in itself. I played too much of this already. But I didn't expect the shitshow we have now.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
People using twitch numbers amuse me because viewers mean jack shit. I'd be more interesting in seeing unique number of streamers, not their viewers.

All it takes is 1-2 popular streamers playing a game and it gets shot up to top 3. If summit or Ninja or someone started playing Jak and Daxter it would get shot to the top of twitch.

Here you go: https://www.twitchmetrics.net/games/played

Click on 'most streamed' and it will show you

Ranked by the average concurrent live channels in the last 30 days

Fortnite is 7.7k
LoL 2.4k
Apex is 2.2k in 3rd

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not misinterpreting anything man. The only thing that will convince you is hard numbers. You check those August revenues if it stays like this. Shit will be abysmal.

No one is saying they can't fix these things and come out all the better for it. The idea is a lot of people are fairly bored or unhappy with the game. Which is fine in itself. I played too much of this already. But I didn't expect the shitshow we have now.
So your evidence for why Apex is doing poorly right now is that it will post bad revenues for a month beginning in 5 days?

rock-solid stuff, man

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019

As if the myriad issues with this game and its official forums and reddits are not enough to see the discontent with this game. There are rarely numbers to use. Revenue numbers they have released don't point at increases month on month, though S2 probably bumped it. Take a look at August. Guarantee if they leave this game as shitty as it is right now August will be horrible.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
As if the myriad issues with this game and its official forums and reddits are not enough to see the discontent with this game. There are rarely numbers to use. Revenue numbers they have released don't point at increases month on month, though S2 probably bumped it. Take a look at August. Guarantee if they leave this game as shitty as it is right now August will be horrible.
if "visible discontent on the subreddit" is a sign that a game is doing poorly, literally no game has ever done well

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
So your evidence for why Apex is doing poorly right now is that it will post bad revenues for a month beginning in 5 days?

rock-solid stuff, man
Listen, you are gonna sit here and shill this game until your eyes bleed. I'm not going to. I could put numbers straight in front of you from Respawn and you will still shill it your way. Have a nice day.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, you are gonna sit here and shill this game until your eyes bleed. I'm not going to. I could put numbers straight in front of you from Respawn and you will still shill it your way. Have a nice day.
no, if you put numbers straight in front of me from Respawn I would change my views in light of new information. but since you haven't done that—and, in fact, haven't found a single relevant number, despite harping on others' 'faulty logic' and how 'the numbers' support your views—my opinion hasn't changed. you tautologically repeating that "the game is doing poorly because there will be evidence that it is doing poorly in the future" is not as convincing as you seem to think it is

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol the reddit is quite literally memes and cool clips.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
no, if you put numbers straight in front of me from Respawn I would change my views in light of new information. but since you haven't done that—and, in fact, haven't found a single relevant number, despite harping on others' 'faulty logic' and how 'the numbers' support your views—my opinion hasn't changed. you tautologically repeating that "the game is doing poorly because there will be evidence that it is doing poorly in the future" is not as convincing as you seem to think it is
I never said the game is in danger of dying. I said it has major issues, and people are getting tired of it, which will inevitably lead to revenue declines. All of this is very logical.

S2 will bump numbers. But with the way this game is going right now that is expected to tank again no doubt.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said the game is in danger of dying. I said it has major issues, and people are getting tired of it, which will inevitably lead to revenue declines. All of this is very logical.

S2 will bump numbers. But with the way this game is going right now that is expected to tank again no doubt.

To be honest, I don't think this has anything to do with the quality of the game. The game is ace.

The microtransactions and battle pass are not. Fortnite offers much more compelling and interesting mtx options.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Apex's microtransaction/BP stuff is bad, but seems to be getting considerably better over time—from both their perspective, in terms of player retention, and from the players' perspective, in terms of perceived return on money spent. They definitely have a way to go—the Store itself still feels like a total stopgap solution—but it's a more than strong enough start for games in this space, especially since they seem to easily be past the critical mass in terms of daily users. things can always change for the better or worse, but in comparison to the average 'successful' game in this space—that is, not something like fortnite, which is ridiculous as an initial point of reference—i think it's considerably ahead of where it would need to be

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Also battle royales are inherently repetitive. Fortnite's level of content output is unrealistic and arguably unethical, but there should be a balance. Either one meaningful content update (new gun + at least one revamped location) per month or small changes every couple of weeks. (Balance changes or limited time game modes)

Thankfully ranked came out, but if I wasn't competitive and just a casual apex player I definitely would've dropped the game again.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Apex's microtransaction/BP stuff is bad, but seems to be getting considerably better over time—from both their perspective, in terms of player retention, and from the players' perspective, in terms of perceived return on money spent. They definitely have a way to go—the Store itself still feels like a total stopgap solution—but it's a more than strong enough start for games in this space, especially since they seem to easily be past the critical mass in terms of daily users. things can always change for the better or worse, but in comparison to the average 'successful' game in this space—that is, not something like fortnite, which is ridiculous as an initial point of reference—i think it's considerably ahead of where it would need to be
Why is it ahead? What is the average successful game in this space?

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I'm not even sure how casual players enjoy this game lol. General servers are literally negativity in this game. Ranked has sucked out most of the good players. 75% of my matches or more in normal servers I have at least one dead guy within a minute if not two. How this is fun I have no idea. Worst it has ever been by a country mile.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure how casual players enjoy this game lol. General servers are literally negativity in this game. Ranked has sucked out most of the good players. 75% of my matches or more in normal servers I have at least one dead guy within a minute if not two. How this is fun I have no idea. Worst it has ever been by a country mile.
Seems like a you problem tbh

Casual players are literally just playing to run around and shoot at guys. If they die they quit and reroll.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it ahead? What is the average successful game in this space?
I mean, the modal/mean would be something close to Smite or Paladins (at least in the context of western games)—relatively small consistent userbase, regular content updates, strategy angled primarily toward player retention, purposefully limited scope. Things like Quake Champions, World of Warships, the Siege of a couple years ago are closer to the median, and, I think, reasonable bases for "success" in the space—regular consistent growth, devoted audience, not titans of their respective genres like Fortnite or League, which (ime, having worked at a big company designing and developing games in this space) most companies would be very very happy with, even if they aren't out-and-out winning the pot. Which apex is not whatsoever coming up short in comparison to, going by any publicly available metric

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Casual players are literally just playing to run around and shoot at guys. If they die they quit and reroll.

This. I'm really casual. During the week I got 1 hour max a day to play. I'm currently struggling to get out of Silver IV and I'm swearing at the game when I'm dead within a minute. But since I'm nearly immediately in a new game I don't care that much for the losses. When I get a kill here and there or even a win, I'm happy.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, most of my "casual" friends play ranked when they do play and don't really care about losing because there's zero material penalty

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I mean, the modal/mean would be something close to Smite or Paladins (at least in the context of western games)—relatively small consistent userbase, regular content updates, strategy angled primarily toward player retention, purposefully limited scope. Things like Quake Champions, World of Warships, the Siege of a couple years ago are closer to the median, and, I think, reasonable bases for "success" in the space—regular consistent growth, devoted audience, not titans of their respective genres like Fortnite or League, which (ime, having worked at a big company designing and developing games in this space) most companies would be very very happy with, even if they aren't out-and-out winning the pot. Which apex is not whatsoever coming up short in comparison to, going by any publicly available metric
I have no idea what EA expects of this game. I bet not much as Respawn is mostly working on Star Wars. After that comes out, maybe the resources will be better represented to fully handle Apex. All that I know is people seem to be a bit ho hum on the game from what I personally see due to stagnation in ranked and absolutely pitiful normal servers.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019

It's a you problem because their matchmaking algorithms in generals are terrible and the entirety of their ranked game design is worse? Yeah no. This game is a code leaf error away from driving even the most desperate players on a break let alone the camp fest that is ranked mode being entirely redundant half the time.

If this game in normals played like it did in S1 I wouldn't be bitching. But it's 10x worse in every single facet concerning player quality. This makes a stagnant rank system appear even worse than it really is.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's a you problem because their matchmaking algorithms in generals are terrible and the entirety of their ranked game design is worse? Yeah no. This game is a code leaf error away from driving even the most desperate players on a break let alone the camp fest that is ranked mode being entirely redundant half the time.
Bro there's like a billion games out there, just go play something else.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Bro there's like a billion games out there, just go play something else.
Well that is definitely becoming my motto. It just so happens to be a really weak era of online gaming for me. I'm doing more Magic Arena than anything else. BFV is a huge disappointment as well. Apex still has a lot of potential though. But yeah I probably should stop playing it. I feel like I have to level this pass though since I paid coins for it.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Gathering loot and the loot tables themselves are intrinsically connected. The easier it is to find the loot you want, the less you have to actually loot throughout the game. Doing what you can with what you have, managing your resources, and deciding whether or not you loot that extra building/body lying out in the open play a role in the tactical nature of the game. No different than deciding if you want to go after a loot drop.

The whole purpose of BR is to do the best you can given the random variables. If not for that, you may as well play a MP with respawns (CoD) or a tactical 1-life per round FPS (Seige, CS, etc..).
Or maybe they could just make it better than it is right now in this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.