• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got the kill leader achievement and it wasn't because I wiped a squad in the first minute.

Fully loaded Alternator may be my favourite gun now.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Had the weirdest win last night -- down to three squads, was running for the 4th or 5th ring... and the game just ended all of a sudden. All I can think was that the other two squads got caught in a fight as the prior ring was coming in, and ring + battle scars did them in. My squad had passed them (ran south of them starting to fight in Containment), and we were looking to get a good position and snipe them coming down the valley.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Really, all the light ammo guns excluding P2020 and Scout are in the high tiers in my book, and R99 is something I'll grab every single time I find it. R301 is a close second.

Oct 31, 2017
I wrote an article about Apex's ranked mode recently, published today.

I read your article and I think you make some pretty solid points about the current nature/meta of Ranked and the variables that influence this meta-play.

But I have slightly different opinions/ideas to combat this current "hide-more-than-seek" meta gameplay, and these actually come from some of the factors you correctly point out in your piece.

I think 5 RP points for 5 kills is good, and as you mention, more than 5 kills against teams of roughly approximate skill is not consistently realistic. But I would like to see RP awarded for damage dealt, perhaps up to a cap of 5 RP just like kills. I'm thinking 200 damage dealt (the damage required to kill 1 Level 3 shielded opponent) should give a player 1 RP. This way, team-shooting and damage dealing is more incentivized, and the sting of teammates (or opponents) poaching kills is minimized. And rewarding RP for both the kill and damage dealt would still further reward the players that do more of the damaging and finishing.

Then, I think RP should be awarded for both revives and respawns, perhaps also up to 5. I'm not sure if 1 revive should equal 1 RP and a respawn should equal 2 RP. Maybe you need 2 revives for 1 RP, then a respawn counts as 1 RP. But this is also a risk to implement, because then you could have instances of players throwing themselves off of maps to boost people. Maybe they could implement a suicide/fall death penalty where if the player dies to self-inflicted or team-inflicted damage, they'd lose RP. Still, I think that helping the team should be rewarded more.

I agree that they should do more to de-incentivize the super bunker-down meta that's really surged with Wattson's introduction. I understand that that's by design and that they wanted to specifically encourage that playstyle more. But there's no doubt that this method of play is currently the smartest choice.

And I also think that they should maybe reduce the points for placement like you mention, but I think placement should still be top priority of course.

TL;DR: Damage should give RP. Keeping your team in the game should give RP. Placement RP should be reduced very slightly.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, all the light ammo guns excluding P2020 and Scout are in the high tiers in my book, and R99 is something I'll grab every single time I find it. R301 is a close second.
The r301 is probably the best all around good gun. It doesn't have the close range burst damage the R99 has but that thing fires like a LASER.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
P2020 with hammerpoint is very underrated my dudes. Ppl were going crazy over the disruptor rounds but being able to just take massive chunks out of base health is real good. It's a pistol as well so swapping to it is pretty fast. You will wipe squads with that fucking thing. It does 37 dmg to body brehs, and this is a gun with so much ammo and a big enough clip that you can just spam fire and you're going to hit twice and murder something.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I had some follow up thoughts/ideas in regards to combating Wattson/super bunker down play.

What if they made it so Arc Stars weren't shot down by her trophy ultimate and they could disable her fences. Would that make Arc Stars way too strong? Since the Arc Stars are thrown with a flatter arc, I don't think it would be too bad, especially since they nerfed the overall area-of-effect of them with Season 2.

What if they made it so the Triple Take and the Havoc with the Select-fire could see and shoot Caustic traps and Wattson ultimates through walls (maybe with gold scope attachments? I know there's not a mid-range gold thermal sight). Think of the Auger from the Resistance series, except they'd only be able to affect the traps/Wattson's ults.

It would give extra utility and purpose to Energy guns as they could then be direct hard counters to teams entrenched.

Just some random thoughts lol.

P2020 with hammerpoint is very underrated my dudes. Ppl were going crazy over the disruptor rounds being able to just take massive chunks out of base health is real good. It's a pistol as well so swapping to it is pretty fast. You will wipe squads with that fucking thing. It does 37 dmg to body brehs, and this is a gun with so much ammo and a big enough clip that you can just spam fire and you're going to hit twice and murder something.

I haven't used the P2020 + hammerpoints much, but I could definitely see this creeping into the meta yeah. A P2020 with a purple mag + 1x2 sight + hammerpoints can be super nasty!

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I used to hate doing weekly challenges and now it's the sole reason I log in everyday. I'm actually getting caught up on all the backlog of challenges I didn't bother to do a few weeks ago. Glad they made this system so you can go back and catch up.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE: the RP point system, it def needs an overhaul. I don't like the idea of revives and respawns counting. Too easy to abuse and feels kinda weird to reward you for your teammates dying. You can argue that respawning/reviving is already helping you get more RP just by actually having your team up and running to help.

I think the main issue of frustration is the feeling of having a decent early-mid game and breaking even or losing points even if you felt you did good.

I would boost the point values for surviving to top 3. It feels like there is a HUGE point jump from finishing 3rd/2nd to 1st. When in reality 90% of the time that top 3 fight happens simultaneously due to someone waiting for the other teams to start fighting and then jumping in.

If we reward damage, I think it should be if you do 500-600 damage you get 1 RP. 200 Damage is nothing and you can get that on one character if they heal. 500 at least means you got into some decent scuffles. Another idea is to scale the RP with the rank you are. I think everyone is in agreement that Bronze - Gold is relatively easy. It's plat where the 3 rp to play is where ranking up can get tricky. Maybe damage won't give RP until you get to plat, and then it gives you 1 point. At diamond it gives you 2. And so on.

The reason I don't think damage should give you more is I think the much more important fix to put in is "Assist counts as kill" The BIGGEST frustration is when I do 700 damage games and get 0-1 kills for it because someone stole it at the last second. It's a team game. Reward me for team behavior.

Kills should be counted if
1. You got the last damage tick to down/kill the guy
or
2.You did at least 30-50% of damage

Oct 31, 2017
RE: the RP point system, it def needs an overhaul. I don't like the idea of revives and respawns counting. Too easy to abuse and feels kinda weird to reward you for your teammates dying. You can argue that respawning/reviving is already helping you get more RP just by actually having your team up and running to help.

I think the main issue of frustration is the feeling of having a decent early-mid game and breaking even or losing points even if you felt you did good.

I would boost the point values for surviving to top 3. It feels like there is a HUGE point jump from finishing 3rd/2nd to 1st. When in reality 90% of the time that top 3 fight happens simultaneously due to someone waiting for the other teams to start fighting and then jumping in.

If we reward damage, I think it should be if you do 500-600 damage you get 1 RP. 200 Damage is nothing and you can get that on one character if they heal. 500 at least means you got into some decent scuffles. Another idea is to scale the RP with the rank you are. I think everyone is in agreement that Bronze - Gold is relatively easy. It's plat where the 3 rp to play is where ranking up can get tricky. Maybe damage won't give RP until you get to plat, and then it gives you 1 point. At diamond it gives you 2. And so on.

The reason I don't think damage should give you more is I think the much more important fix to put in is "Assist counts as kill" The BIGGEST frustration is when I do 700 damage games and get 0-1 kills for it because someone stole it at the last second. It's a team game. Reward me for team behavior.

Kills should be counted if
1. You got the last damage tick to down/kill the guy
or
2.You did at least 30-50% of damage

I agree that RP for revives/respawns could be too easy to abuse. But, I really do think there should be more incentive to trying to bring the team back into the game, because as it is, it is often more pragmatic to bail on your team in a bad situation to try and place, rather than risk sticking your neck out and then everyone loses points. Maybe make it so if 1 person dies and is respawned, both living teammates get RP for the respawn.

By giving RP to revives/respawns, it would lessen the risk of getting into early fights for squads. But yeah, the potential for abuse is definitely there no doubt about it. I'm of two minds with it for sure. Maybe also limit the RP for revives/respawns to a cap of 3 bonus RP instead of 5.

I think a max of 5 RP, 200 damage = 1 RP, up to 1000 damage is reasonable. A game over 1000 damage against squads of approximate skill is outlier, not common, similar to games with over 5 kills. So 5 kills and 1000 damage would be 10 RP. Similar to Chronospherics article where he mentioned that he'd like to see kills bumped up to 2 RP per kill, for a max of 10. I just think that it should be 5 for kills, 5 for 1000 damage in a game.

RP award scaling is an interesting idea, but I think it overly complicates how RP is awarded, personally, especially factoring in the increasing RP cost as you climb ranks also.

I get wanting it to be more along the lines of "assisting counts as kills", as that's not just damage but rewarding teamwork, but I just think rewarding flat damage done is a cleaner way. If you deal 90 damage and then that opponent goes and gets picked off, under the "assist counts as kills" method of rewarding additional RP, you'd either get 1 RP if the teammate finished them or none. But if it was set to 200 damage = 1 RP, then that 90 damage outright would mean nothing, but it was still worthwhile to shoot that person because it contributed to possible future bonus RP. Essentially, making it "do damage, get RP" would encourage more shooting/engaging across the board, while also being cleaner in terms of player readability.

I agree that top 3 point distribution should be adjusted across first, second, and third, along with placement RP adjusted overall. I think this sounds OK:

10 for 1st.
8 for 2nd.
6 for 3rd.
4 for top 5.
2 for top 10.

So, in platinum, with my thoughts, a max point game would be:

10 for first, + 5 for five kills, + 5 for 1000 damage dealt, + 3 for bringing teammates back into the game/keeping the team alive - the 3 RP to enter. So 20 RP for a max RP Platinum win, of which the conditions to get that would be super slim. (5 kills + 1000 damage + multiple revives/respawns would be once in a blue moon)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that RP for revives/respawns could be too easy to abuse. But, I really do think there should be more incentive to trying to bring the team back into the game, because as it is, it is often more pragmatic to bail on your team in a bad situation to try and place, rather than risk sticking your neck out and then everyone loses points. Maybe make it so if 1 person dies and is respawned, both living teammates get RP for the respawn.

By giving RP to revives/respawns, it would lessen the risk of getting into early fights for squads. But yeah, the potential for abuse is definitely there no doubt about it. I'm of two minds with it for sure. Maybe also limit the RP for revives/respawns to a cap of 3 bonus RP instead of 5.

I think a max of 5 RP, 200 damage = 1 RP, up to 1000 damage is reasonable. A game over 1000 damage against squads of approximate skill is outlier, not common, similar to games with over 5 kills. So 5 kills and 1000 damage would be 10 RP. Similar to Chronospherics article where he mentioned that he'd like to see kills bumped up to 2 RP per kill, for a max of 10. I just think that it should be 5 for kills, 5 for 1000 damage in a game.

RP award scaling is an interesting idea, but I think it overly complicates how RP is awarded, personally, especially factoring in the increasing RP cost as you climb ranks also.

I get wanting it to be more along the lines of "assisting counts as kills", as that's not just damage but rewarding teamwork, but I just think rewarding flat damage done is a cleaner way. If you deal 90 damage and then that opponent goes and gets picked off, under the "assist counts as kills" method of rewarding additional RP, you'd either get 1 RP if the teammate finished them or none. But if it was set to 200 damage = 1 RP, then that 90 damage outright would mean nothing, but it was still worthwhile to shoot that person because it contributed to possible future bonus RP. Essentially, making it "do damage, get RP" would encourage more shooting/engaging across the board, while also being cleaner in terms of player readability.

I agree that top 3 point distribution should be adjusted across first, second, and third, along with placement RP adjusted overall. I think this sounds OK:

10 for 1st.
8 for 2nd.
6 for 3rd.
4 for top 5.
2 for top 10.

So, in platinum, with my thoughts, a max point game would be:

10 for first, + 5 for five kills, + 5 for 1000 damage dealt, + 3 for bringing teammates back into the game/keeping the team alive - the 3 RP to enter. So 20 RP for a max RP Platinum win, of which the conditions to get that would be super slim. (5 kills + 1000 damage + multiple revives/respawns would be once in a blue moon)

Eh I think some of those changes would make it TOO easy to rank up. As I could just hug the outskirts and snipe away for damage + placement RP.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I think another legends will combat Watson so no need to remake current gadgets to prevent the camp meta. Remember this is where we are currently at and doesn't mean the meta will be a camping meta forever in rank. A couple more aggressive or disabling legends and things will be totally different just based on abilities along with map releases and or changes.

To me ranked is better than casual in everyway unless I don't want to play with a headset. Just the team play alone is better and people seem to try to do better as well. There is an actual purpose unlike casual mode that is almost always hot drop kill, die, rinse and repeat with no thinking involved.

Oct 31, 2017
Eh I think some of those changes would make it TOO easy to rank up. As I could just hug the outskirts and snipe away for damage + placement RP.

Yeah, I get that. But, sitting on the outskirts with longbows taking pot-shots should be a valid way to play the game, because technically, you are contributing to other players being eliminated. And the circles would still force teams to move in, regardless, as placing would still be optimal, but not the only source of points.

If you sit on the outskirts and deal over a 1000 damage, but get no kills, you'd still only be getting 5 RP. And I think if you sit on the edge of firefights, get 1000 damage but no kills, and place outside of the top 10, you'd still only walk away with 2 RP in platinum, which I think is fair to be honest. 1000 damage is not easily doable IMO.

Edit:

I think another legends will combat Watson so no need to remake current gadgets to prevent the camp meta. Remember this is where we are currently at and doesn't mean the meta will be a camping meta forever in rank. A couple more aggressive or disabling legends and things will be totally different just based on abilities along with map releases and or changes.

To me ranked is better than casual in everyway unless I don't want to play with a headset. Just the team play alone is better and people seem to try to do better as well. There is an actual purpose unlike casual mode that is almost always hot drop kill, die, rinse and repeat with no thinking involved.

I'd like to see both honestly, that way there's multiple potential options to handle situations, not forcing teams to rely on a legend hard-counter as the only means to combat the defensive legends. But, I think that if they do implement changes to the on-map items to counter legend abilities, then they need to do it in ways that are limited. Though maybe by doing this, it might make both Wattson and Caustic more weak than they should be, as then everyone would know that their defenses aren't totally impenetrable.

I agree that Ranked is more fun than standard Apex. But at the same time, it's due to the nature of ranked existing. The dynamics have changed, so Ranked incentivizes a certain meta, within ranked and within standard.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I read your article and I think you make some pretty solid points about the current nature/meta of Ranked and the variables that influence this meta-play.

But I have slightly different opinions/ideas to combat this current "hide-more-than-seek" meta gameplay, and these actually come from some of the factors you correctly point out in your piece.

I think 5 RP points for 5 kills is good, and as you mention, more than 5 kills against teams of roughly approximate skill is not consistently realistic. But I would like to see RP awarded for damage dealt, perhaps up to a cap of 5 RP just like kills. I'm thinking 200 damage dealt (the damage required to kill 1 Level 3 shielded opponent) should give a player 1 RP. This way, team-shooting and damage dealing is more incentivized, and the sting of teammates (or opponents) poaching kills is minimized. And rewarding RP for both the kill and damage dealt would still further reward the players that do more of the damaging and finishing.

Then, I think RP should be awarded for both revives and respawns, perhaps also up to 5. I'm not sure if 1 revive should equal 1 RP and a respawn should equal 2 RP. Maybe you need 2 revives for 1 RP, then a respawn counts as 1 RP. But this is also a risk to implement, because then you could have instances of players throwing themselves off of maps to boost people. Maybe they could implement a suicide/fall death penalty where if the player dies to self-inflicted or team-inflicted damage, they'd lose RP. Still, I think that helping the team should be rewarded more.

I agree that they should do more to de-incentivize the super bunker-down meta that's really surged with Wattson's introduction. I understand that that's by design and that they wanted to specifically encourage that playstyle more. But there's no doubt that this method of play is currently the smartest choice.

And I also think that they should maybe reduce the points for placement like you mention, but I think placement should still be top priority of course.

TL;DR: Damage should give RP. Keeping your team in the game should give RP. Placement RP should be reduced very slightly.

I don't personally think damage should give RP.

Damage that doesn't lead to a kill, is ultimately meaningless, and doesn't say anything about your skill as a player. In any one gunfight, someone might deal 400+ damage to me, but if I kill him in the end, they lost that gunfight, and that's all that matters.

I think you should be awarded for damage that amounts in a kill, so if your team kills the guy, then that deserves some credit, but I think damage alone is neither a meaningful measure of a players value, and at the same time, it's also very abusable and plays into the current meta, not against it.

The current campy, longbow meta often sees many teams with very high damage, and very low kills. Poking away at each other trying to weaken the opposing team until an opportunity lines up. In that meta, you often see people with very high damage, as you're hitting people's shields over and over again.

It's also very farmable. If damage were rewarded I think folks would be more happy to sit at long range, shooting one another, further disincentivisng any aggressive play. Because why push to kill them when you can keep farming damage.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I do get rewarding damage giving more power to teams poking with snipers, I do. But, I'd argue that dealing damage does have tangible effects in that it saps resources from damaged opponents as well as encourages more gunfire from all parties, which in turn would attract more, other players to deal damage and engage with those who are shooting.

I think rewarding damage, while simultaneously reducing placement points, while also giving a few points to keeping teammates alive would be the factors that would most encourage multiple playstyles (conservative engagement avoidance [defensive play/placement as the means to rank], conservative engagement [sniper nests as a means to rank] aggressive action [hot drop success as a means to rank]), while awarding the most natural, successful way to do well in Apex the most: consistent, small-scale engagements throughout the duration of the match.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Why not just award an assist up to 3 points total? The game registers assists and wouldn't be abused and easy to gain as damage could be.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm getting extremely tired about this S2 battlepass, I gotta be real here. I feel like compared to S1, I'd already be level 110 at this point, but here I'm stuck on level 76 and it's slow as hell, forces me to play challenges that seldom are interesting to me, thus forcing me into playing in a way that isn't what I truly wanna do? I feel like I'm doing chores everyday, sometimes wasting 4 hours over stupid daily challenges that are absurdly long (mind you I had 2 challenges that were about getting headshots today... aka one of the things I hate most doing in this game) and idk, I'm just not enjoying myself. Every time I play, I always have to check things I haven't done yet, and when I get weekly challenges that are incredibly hard to do because they rely so much on situation and luck, it just feels very unfair and absolutely no fun at all.

S1 was straightforward, and it was hella consistent and rewarding in its grind. If you played a lot, then you'd win a lot of points, and complete the battlepass easily. S2 is twice as grindy as S1 was, except it has challenges, which I get is enough for most people since they feel they're accomplishing little tasks here and there, but it's just too much for me, especially when they always put me in a position where I feel like doing chores, and feel like I'm never ever done with them, thus can never truly play the game in a real carefree "I do what I want" way. I always have to be careful about who to play, which guns to chose, how to aim, remember to use my ult in case I can finally get that challenge done, or use this skill to get that other challenge done. This isn't fun. This is hella tedious.

3 weeks after receiving it, I finally completed my 50 LMG headshots challenge. My L-Star Challenge is at 3 knockdowns on a total of 10, and I'm not even sure I'll ever be able to complete it before the end of the season at this pace. Since then , other annoying situational challenges appeared, like getting 5 kills as Bloodhound with Beast of the Hunt, getting kills with Gibraltar's ult. I don't find those fun in the slightest, and I don't like playing those champions much, so the thought of having to spend 2 to 8 hours with them in order to complete them doesn't bring any joy.

Knowing I won't be able to complete all weekly challenge, I force myself to do daily ones in order to maximize my leveling up as much as possible, because leveling is a hell of a grind and every damn little challenge counts if I wanna finally get to 110. A level I would already be at with S1's leveling system, something that I know to be true and that frustrates me so much.

Honestly, if S3's battlepass leveling is exactly the same: lots of challenge, and lots of artificial progression capping making it hard to progress without having to do the fucking challenges, then it'll be without me, cause right now this is defo giving me more anxiety than the massive carefree fun I remember having during S1.

That plus I kept doing games lately where at the very start we already had a teammate missing (or I was all alone), which happened like 1 out of 3 games (it is an insanely high ratio of it happening these days) and when I did have teammates, they were utter garbage (why this game insists on pairing me, a level 288, with people who barely joined the game a week ago, I really wonder). I feel like with the Summer vacations, the quality of random players I met drastically fell, so maybe I should just wait for September in order to have fun on Apex again.

Sorry for the rant, idk, Apex frustrates me a lot lately.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I just think that damage is both useful on the whole (drains resources and overall encourages more shooting) and should be more incentivized overall, with less conditional barriers, such as limiting it to assists.

I think most of us can agree that more needs to be done to encourage more risk taking & action, but not so much so that it encourages a single dominant meta.

Maybe 350 damage = 1 RP, up to 3?

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think giving RP for damage will encourage risk, it will encourage more sniping and turtling to chip for RP.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think giving RP for damage will encourage risk, it will encourage more sniping and turtling to chip for RP.
Yep, this is my worry. The issue now is camping. This would only exacerbate that. Whereas if assist as kill was implemented, people would be more likely to get into fights to rack of kills.

Also, some datamine/leaks of Crypto, the new upcoming hero, have me thinking he will be a "tracker" hero just like Bloodhound.

Remains to be seen if he has a ability disabling EMP move (maybe an ult) but the leaks seem to indicate he will be able to "hack in" to points on the map similar to how Pathfinder does with survey beacons.

Seeing as we have Offensive, Defensive, Support... and Bloodhound with the lone tracker role.. people are thinking maybe one of Cryptos abilities will be to hack into computers around the map to locate enemies or set up beacons to alert him when enemies are in the area.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting extremely tired about this S2 battlepass, I gotta be real here. I feel like compared to S1, I'd already be level 110 at this point, but here I'm stuck on level 76 and it's slow as hell, forces me to play challenges that seldom are interesting to me, thus forcing me into playing in a way that isn't what I truly wanna do? I feel like I'm doing chores everyday, sometimes wasting 4 hours over stupid daily challenges that are absurdly long (mind you I had 2 challenges that were about getting headshots today... aka one of the things I hate most doing in this game) and idk, I'm just not enjoying myself.

Consider that there are 13 weeks in the season and you're well ahead of the curve to reach 110. You can start picking and choosing your dailies and weeklies to some degree and still clear the pass comfortably. Also, you'd only need to do 10 of the 21 dailies to max your +2 level bonus, so you don't need to fret too hard on ones you consider a slog. (I type all this, but don't even follow my own advice despite being in the same boat as you...haha.)

A tip for the generic headshot challenges: Each individual shotgun pellet counts as a headshot as far as I can tell, so one well-placed shotgun blast can finish the challenge off. EVA-8 is great for this.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know the best way to solve this honestly. I think rewarding damage, while also reducing placement points would be the best method personally. I do agree that this could potentially wind up favoring sniper poking too much, and as someone who prefers to get into the middle of the action, I wouldn't really want to see that.

What if they more sharply reduced placement points to be 1st = 8, 2nd = 6, 3rd = 4, top 5 = 2, top 10 = 1? Then the best way to get the most points would be to win with kills and damage.

I just think that whatever encourages the most gunfire/resource consumption is what should be done, while also keeping point payout as simple/intuitive as possible.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I do get rewarding damage giving more power to teams poking with snipers, I do. But, I'd argue that dealing damage does have tangible effects in that it saps resources from damaged opponents as well as encourages more gunfire from all parties, which in turn would attract more, other players to deal damage and engage with those who are shooting.

I think rewarding damage, while simultaneously reducing placement points, while also giving a few points to keeping teammates alive would be the factors that would most encourage multiple playstyles (conservative engagement avoidance [defensive play/placement as the means to rank], conservative engagement [sniper nests as a means to rank] aggressive action [hot drop success as a means to rank]), while awarding the most natural, successful way to do well in Apex the most: consistent, small-scale engagements throughout the duration of the match.

It varies in a way that's difficult to determine if the damage was really meaningful at all. Sometimes it's better to stay quiet and let other people initiate, and drawing attention via gunfire isn't a good option at all.

I think the extent that damage is meaningful varies based upon your positioning, your heals, your opponents heals.

Because realistically in ranked, if your doing damage, your trading damage to some extent. So if your heals are lower than your opponents, then damage is actually a net loss for your team. It can contribute negatively and lead to bad situations later. At the same time, if your positioning is bad, damage on a well positioned team is only going to lead to you being third partied.

So what I mean is, damage is sometimes useful, but sometimes harmful. So I think in that sense, it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be universally rewarded.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe whoever does the most damage to an enemy before they're able to heal is rewarded with the kill RP? I say this to try to address "kill stealing" complainers and avoid RP for assists, because then you're just encouraging the worst of players to put a bullet in every enemy before fully engaging.

It's annoying that every idea has to be distilled down to 'what's the worst behavior this can encourage?' because that's what happens.

Anyway, just spitballing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe whoever does the most damage to an enemy before they're able to heal is rewarded with the kill RP? I say this to try to address "kill stealing" complainers and avoid RP for assists, because then you're just encouraging the worst of players to put a bullet in every enemy before fully engaging.

It's annoying that every idea has to be distilled down to 'what's the worst behavior this can encourage?' because that's what happens.

Black Ops IIII's concept where you get kill percentages is really smart. Something like that could work well in Apex, so you don't walk away with nothing if you destroyed a dude's whole purple shield and got him down to 20 HP before a heroic teammate (or third party enemy) finished the job and you got jackshit.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Consider that there are 13 weeks in the season and you're well ahead of the curve to reach 110. You can start picking and choosing your dailies and weeklies to some degree and still clear the pass comfortably. Also, you'd only need to do 10 of the 21 dailies to max your +2 level bonus, so you don't need to fret too hard on ones you consider a slog. (I type all this, but don't even follow my own advice despite being in the same boat as you...haha.)

Yeah I know I'm probably going to complete it with ease, but I'm still really bothered knowing that I would already be there if it had been S1's system at play here. That thought alone is enough to piss me off a bit, and I wonder where are all the people who complained over and over again about how much S1 was a grindfest, cause S2 is WAY MORE grindy than S1, making it look like a walk in the park. Guess they're easily fooled/distracted by challenges, idk.

I feel stuck into doing challenges that barely bring me any fun, and want to complete the battlepass as soon as possible so that I'm finally free of this hassle and can play Apex without any voice in the back of my head guilting me into having to play a certain way or whatever. Maybe that's just me though, and maybe I'm more sensitive to this kind of pressure, but in the end, it's just not fun.

I know Respawn wants to do player retention and all, but let me breathe omg. I just wanna play Apex in a carefree way. If anything, maybe that's just on me though, but this system isn't working for me, and I won't buy S3 battlepass knowing it ain't good for my mental health or whatever (I know I sound dramatic, it ain't that deep tbh, but it's weighing on me still, and I just wanna enjoy the game in a pure way and not feel like it is a chore. There's already a ton of things in life that are truly tedious to do, I don't need to add one of my favorite video games to that way-too-long list).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
It varies in a way that's difficult to determine if the damage was really meaningful at all. Sometimes it's better to stay quiet and let other people initiate, and drawing attention via gunfire isn't a good option at all.

I think the extent that damage is meaningful varies based upon your positioning, your heals, your opponents heals.

Because realistically in ranked, if your doing damage, your trading damage to some extent. So if your heals are lower than your opponents, then damage is actually a net loss for your team. It can contribute negatively and lead to bad situations later. At the same time, if your positioning is bad, damage on a well positioned team is only going to lead to you being third partied.

So what I mean is, damage is sometimes useful, but sometimes harmful. So I think in that sense, it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be universally rewarded.

You are right that there is ambiguity to just how valid damage, on its face, is. Valid/skillful net gain for the team/players dealing the damage really does depend on a myriad of factors as you say. And that often, trigger discipline of not dealing damage is actually the best, 'skilled' move. And when you flatly incentivize damage on-the-whole, it makes even poorly timed/non-strategic damage valuable and that maybe poor damage dealing shouldn't be rewarded. But that's also part of why I think that damage should be flatly rewarded, because it will incentivize shooting in more contexts. And those who are less skilled will be punished when they shoot in a context they cannot appropriately adjust for, even if they are awarded some compensation by taking the risk to attempt to gain damage.

I'm looking at it from the point of what should be done to encourage more shooting/action at the most flat and simple level, while also rewarding the players who most skillfully engage and succeed.

I definitely don't envy Respawn trying to navigate what they should tweak in regards to RP payout in Ranked, as even a simple change has a good chance of radically altering the meta.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Well I think you can't just give the kill RP to the guy who did the most damage, because often the push that lead to actually closing the kill, carried the most risk.

Like, if I dive onto a team and mop them up with my bouncepad, after you G7ed them from afar, I might deal less damage, but that doesn't mean my contribution was not equally important.

I think lowering placement incentives a little, and adding assists would help a lot. That would be the equivalent to increasing the reward for kills, while also making people feel that they didn't need the last hit to gain a point.

Maybe something like this...

7 points for a win, 6 for top 2, 5 for top 3, 4 for top 5, 2 for top 10.
5 points total for kills
4 points total for assists

So if you win and get 5 kills 4 assists, you can get 16 points - your entry fee, but its more weighted towards your contribution in fights, and less on placement. Winning a game provides you with a serious amount of points, but you can't win with no kills and get more RP than other players in the lobby.

Also, as for the respawn issue. I think they should look towards game design changes to help remedy that. Knockdown shields need to work better than they do now (I'm often shot through them). Respawn ships could benefit from being quieter and drawing a bit less attention. Some additional respawn ship options would be nice. Perhaps some heroes focused on getting your team back in the game.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know I'm probably going to complete it with ease, but I'm still really bothered knowing that I would already be there if it had been S1's system at play here. That thought alone is enough to piss me off a bit, and I wonder where are all the people who complained over and over again about how much S1 was a grindfest, cause S2 is WAY MORE grindy than S1, making it look like a walk in the park. Guess they're easily fooled/distracted by challenges, idk.

I feel stuck into doing challenges that barely bring me any fun, and want to complete the battlepass as soon as possible so that I'm finally free of this hassle and can play Apex without any voice in the back of my head guilting me into playing a certain way or whatever. Maybe that's just me though, and maybe I'm more sensitive to this kind of pressure, but in the end, it's just not fun.

I know Respawn wants to do player retention and all, but let me breathe omg. I just wanna play Apex in a carefree way. If anything, maybe that's just on me though, but this system isn't working for me, and I won't buy S3 battlepass knowing it ain't good for my mental health or whatever (I know I sound dramatic, it ain't that deep tbh, but it's weighing on me still, and I just wanna enjoy the game in a pure way and not feel like it is a chore. There's already a ton of things in life that are truly tedious to do, I don't need to add one of my favorite video games to that way-too-long list).

I'm with you. I'm still kind of annoyed that some players actively campaigned for this tedium. It was never going to be the leveling speed of Season 1 with the challenges on top to speed it up. As you said, it's simply a mechanic for player retention and tempt you to pay for battlepass levels if you don't keep up with the chores. Even the XP reset actively discourages grinding and invites you to come back each week.

Anyway, it's a F2P game from EA so I guess it's to be expected on some level. They captured an audience and now we get F2P mechanic creep. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

Oct 31, 2017
Season 2 leveling is faster, but yeah, I know what you all are saying in regards to challenges & F2P system creep, and those kinds of things not being very enjoyable when they coerce you to do things you don't particularly want to do. So far, I've not minded either how S1 or S2 has done it, mainly because I tend to play as multiple Legends, with multiple weapons, and land all over the map, so it's worked out for me both Seasons with little in the way of altering/suggesting playstyle alteration.

But yeah, hopefully the psychological coercion doesn't get too bad in regards to the Battle Passes going forward.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with the BP. I don't need to complete every challenge or play daily. I still feel it's going to get completed and If not no big deal.. I'd much rather something a little hard to earn than simple and over with.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017

I feel stuck into doing challenges that barely bring me any fun, and want to complete the battlepass as soon as possible so that I'm finally free of this hassle and can play Apex without any voice in the back of my head guilting me into having to play a certain way or whatever. Maybe that's just me though, and maybe I'm more sensitive to this kind of pressure, but in the end, it's just not fun.

I have been talking with some friends about this very issue. Like you, we would have been done by now as well, and we came up with the idea of. Why can't they also do the S1 pass system WITH the S2 challenges. That way, you can just play the game and still get the XP needed to level the pass.

The only reason as to why it isn't this way that I can think of is that there was a significant drop off from players when they completed the pass to the end of the season, and by making it so the BP takes longer to complete then the player base will stay high throughout the season instead of half or 3/4 etc.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, the BP is designed specifically for player retention. And I find it incredibly hard to believe that you all would be done with this Season's BP by now if it were just like S1. I play regularly, almost every day, but not an extreme amount. Maybe 2, 3 hours tops a day, and I'm at level 63 or something in the BP I think and we aren't even to the halfway point in the season. Granted, I've also done most of my weekly challenges by now, and I've knocked out the weekly resetting ones each week so far (5 & 10 Dailies).

In season 1, it took me about all season long to make it to 110. I hit 110 about ~2 weeks before the end of last season. This season I'm going to easily get to 110, no problem.

I have a friend who I play with whose time to game is far more limited than mine and he almost never plays on weekends, and he's said that this season's structure, so far, has worked far better for him, that he's gained a lot more levels than he had in S1, since it's not limited to simply total in game survival time/high placements.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I have a friend who I play with whose time to game is far more limited than mine and he almost never plays on weekends, and he's said that this season's structure, so far, has worked far better for him, that he's gained a lot more levels than he had in S1, since it's not limited to simply total in game survival time/high placements.
This is me, I only get a few hours a week and I've progressed 5 levels farther so far this season than what I ended last season with. The system seems designed for players with less time, and I'm ok with that, because that's me :) I get the frustration of the heavy players, but y'all will hit it anyway even if you stopped chasing challenges.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo can't come soon enough. So tired of people who lack the bare minimum lack of understanding of the concept of teamwork, ignoring pings, drop locations, banners, etc.. Let them move towards the upcoming event while those of us who want to play the game as intended have better chances of doing so.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the BP is designed specifically for player retention. And I find it incredibly hard to believe that you all would be done with this Season's BP by now if it were just like S1. I play regularly, almost every day, but not an extreme amount. Maybe 2, 3 hours tops a day, and I'm at level 63 or something in the BP I think and we aren't even to the halfway point in the season. Granted, I've also done most of my weekly challenges by now, and I've knocked out the weekly resetting ones each week so far (5 & 10 Dailies).

In season 1, it took me about all season long to make it to 110. I hit 110 about ~2 weeks before the end of last season. This season I'm going to easily get to 110, no problem.

It's been about the same for me. I hit 110 mid season.

I haven't effort-fully pursued any of the challenges. I've just been playing normally since the start of the season.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm BP level 54 after a week of just grinding challenges that were sitting there from weeks past. I think the progression is awesome, personally. You really don't need to do challenges every day. Just log in when you have a long session and bang em' out in one sitting.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the first battle pass in a month, after five weeks I'm level 88 on this one. That's with completing all of the challenges.

Like I said during week one when I figured out how it works, this battle pass caters to casual players that play a couple times a week at best. After ten or so levels per week, you're hard capped and need five hours of survival time per level, which is insane. I prefer how it worked in the first season, but it'll be done soon anyway. I want those 301 skins.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Told you guys theyd do a solo mode. It's a huge chunk of a playerbase that is missing.

They need to dedicate resources into a proper solo mode because it's going to be silly and unbalanced with the Legends, but it's going to feel very fun to not worry about teammates

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Told you guys theyd do a solo mode. It's a huge chunk of a playerbase that is missing.

They need to dedicate resources into a proper solo mode because it's going to be silly and unbalanced with the Legends, but it's going to feel very fun to not worry about teammates
Not really sure how it'll go but I'm sure that people would prefer duos or quads over solo. At least in Apex

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure how it'll go but I'm sure that people would prefer duos or quads over solo. At least in Apex
Solo players will Want to play the smooth Apex gameplay with unlimited freedom to move around and not be held down by a downed teammate or a random. People dont want to get third partied or deal with 1v3s

all of that is what solo benefits from. Im sure it will be a hit, but it needs some proper balancing for sure

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Ok but The Iron Crown skins are looking hella dope so far!

Although if the challenge to win them is to arrive 1st in a solo game, then woopdidoo there goes my luck (yeah I'm not expecting to win any match in solo mode, I gotta be real, this is gonna be the playing field of those having the 20 kills icons & 5+k kills, not mine).

However, I caught a glimpse of a cool Lifeline skin and I need to know more about it because god knows I need a Lifeline skin that finally doesn't look like ass, @Respawn please enlighten me and make me happy please!

YFC8z1a.png

Hope it's part of the rewards, in which case watch me sink my life into Apex again, my main girl finally getting the chance to have a dope skin after being ignored by Respawn for months, fuck yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.