• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't really like the new game mode.

I feel like it would be better if you could only select certain characters. Was in a final circle where both Bangalore and Gibby rained downed bombs and without shields and heals it was almost impossible to avoid death.

I like the idea, but it doesn't work well.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the new game mode.

I feel like it would be better if you could only select certain characters. Was in a final circle where both Bangalore and Gibby rained downed bombs and without shields and heals it was almost impossible to avoid death.

I like the idea, but it doesn't work well.

Yeah, Gib's airstrike is ridiculously OP for this mode. I know you can use Wattson and whatnot, but I downed two people on a supply ship with it, without even needing to fire a bullet.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Wattson nerf is completely unwarranted, she needed a buff if anything. Reminds me of the 301 nerf that no one asked for, which only hurt good players.

New mode only having rare white shields and few meds is kind of a deal breaker.
301 nerf was fine, they just forgot to tweak the damn longbow and r99 a tiny bit. I have no issues with the 301, it's just they don't seem to be making proper balance changes across the spectrum, and we get these half-assed metas.

Wattson was probably overnerfed. Maybe give two pylons but no more than that. Not sure about the 5% nerf either as she isn't exactly super high in the kills per match. But not touching Pathfinder or Wraith is just kind of well IDK. They are clearly top dog in ranked for the most part.

Honestly, I'm kinda just ready for S3. Diamond I really don't see the point anymore. I don't play in premades all that often anymore, and solo trio is just well kinda useless and boring as all hell. The new game mode is not my cup of tea, and they really need to add solos back if they gonna get people to do this again.

I don't see any reason why they don't allow hardly any shields in this shitty mode. Luckily, all I wanted was that sweet ass R99 skin they added. I will barely touch this mode or game probably until S3 it looks like. Good luck Respawn. Was thinking about supporting that Lifeline skin, but this new mode properly just sucks for me anyway. If you like good on you, but we need perma Solos.

Next season will be a lot more similar to this one at my present rank as we reset, which worries me, because this present rank system kind of sucks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
301 nerf was fine, they just forgot to tweak the damn longbow and r99 a tiny bit. I have no issues with the 301, it's just they don't seem to be making proper balance changes across the spectrum, and we get these half-assed metas.

Wattson was probably overnerfed. Maybe give two pylons but no more than that. Not sure about the 5% nerf either as she isn't exactly super high in the kills per match. But not touching Pathfinder or Wraith is just kind of well IDK. They are clearly top dog in ranked for the most part.

The fact they're addressing Wattson but not Pathfinder and Wraith makes me think they are looking to make sure the few people who put effort into mastering a tough but rewarding class like Wattson don't get too cocky, while the 90% of the population who's only in for Skull Town Wraith&Pathy 24/7 don't lose their main drive for the game. Once again, big data decided that Wattson's very specific ability is too good for its own good, but the fact Pathfinder can practically glitch himself into places you're not supposed to go is a-okay because everybody's doing it.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
The fact they're addressing Wattson but not Pathfinder and Wraith makes me think they are looking to make sure the few people who put effort into mastering a tough but rewarding class like Wattson don't get too cocky, while the 90% of the population who's only in for Skull Town Wraith&Pathy 24/7 don't lose their main drive for the game. Once again, big data decided that Wattson's very specific ability is too good for its own good, but the fact Pathfinder can practically glitch himself into places you're not supposed to go is a-okay because everybody's doing it.
Yeah, I agree on that. I do agree Wattson needed one less Pylon, but the way they balance things is really weird. It just seems like they are too scared to alter things based on the number of popular streamers pillaging with Pathfinder and Wraith. I'm sorry but Pathfinder is motherfucking broken in this game yo. No other legend can insta zip out of your line of sight when he is rightfully getting pummeled for bad movement and placement. THAT ALONE deserves a nerf. But no the fucker knows where the storm is gonna end AND he can put up full ziplines for the crew anywhere too. I mean dear god how do people not see a problem with this guy?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree on that. I do agree Wattson needed one less Pylon, but the way they balance things is really weird. It just seems like they are too scared to alter things based on the number of popular streamers pillaging with Pathfinder and Wraith. I'm sorry but Pathfinder is motherfucking broken in this game yo. No other legend can insta zip out of your line of sight when he is rightfully getting pummeled for bad movement and placement. THAT ALONE deserves a nerf. But no the fucker knows where the storm is gonna end AND he can put up full ziplines for the crew anywhere too. I mean dear god how do people not see a problem with this guy?

The mere fact he's allowed to go into places no other character can go makes him stupidly OP. Not even Octane's trampoline reaches some of the locations Pathy can get to, and it's odd how Respawn is more worried about the 0.1% of the players becoming Wattson pros rather than fact the streamers find a cheese spot to land in with Pathfinder every other day. I don't necessarily mind Pathfinder's stuff ATM, but the fact they are nerfing other characters while he is free to be a living teleportation machine for the whole team is odd.

Call Of Duty games got a lot of flak when they nerfed some overused weapons or builds because the intention of the devs would be allowing all elements to be viable. Death threats, people quitting the game, boycotts - gamers can be such manchildren, but the end result was that their games improved. Black Ops 2, in particular, reached such a satisfying balance after a while that you could pick up any weapon and feel like you're not really at a disadvantage. Obviously an LMG with 100 bullets is gonna destroy a pistol with 12 bullets, but speed and such made up for it.

With Apex, it feels like they are once again making sure the biggest players stay winning. They don't really nerf the most popular weapons, they don't nerf the most popular characters, but here's a mid-range assault rifle that can be used slightly high range: BANNED. Here's a character who's good in the endgame against enemies who don't have a headset and can't shoot at pilons on the ground: BANNED. But the fact Wraith is practically invulnerable while in the portal or that Pathfinder can reach otherwise impossible locations: carry on.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
The mere fact he's allowed to go into places no other character can go makes him stupidly OP. Not even Octane's trampoline reaches some of the locations Pathy can get to, and it's odd how Respawn is more worried about the 0.1% of the players becoming Wattson pros rather than fact the streamers find a cheese spot to land in with Pathfinder every other day. I don't necessarily mind Pathfinder's stuff ATM, but the fact they are nerfing other characters while he is free to be a living teleportation machine for the whole team is odd.

Call Of Duty games got a lot of flak when they nerfed some overused weapons or builds because the intention of the devs would be allowing all elements to be viable. Death threats, people quitting the game, boycotts - gamers can be such manchildren, but the end result was that their games improved. Black Ops 2, in particular, reached such a satisfying balance after a while that you could pick up any weapon and feel like you're not really at a disadvantage. Obviously an LMG with 100 bullets is gonna destroy a pistol with 12 bullets, but speed and such made up for it.

With Apex, it feels like they are once again making sure the biggest players stay winning. They don't really nerf the most popular weapons, they don't nerf the most popular characters, but here's a mid-range assault rifle that can be used slightly high range: BANNED. Here's a character who's good in the endgame against enemies who don't have a headset and can't shoot at pilons on the ground: BANNED. But the fact Wraith is practically invulnerable while in the portal or that Pathfinder can reach otherwise impossible locations: carry on.
Indeed, it's really odd. And I'm not gonna shame the devs or anything lol, but whoever is doing these balance changes needs to get out of the seat and play more of this game against good players.

I just don't understand the MICRO buffs to Bloodhound, while as you mentioned Pathfinder just sits up here doing whatever the fuck he wants wherever he wants. It's like did you just increase Bloodhound FOV again? AHHH THANKS GUYS. I just don't get it. They have literally been AFRAID to buff Bloodhound for some unknown reason, and he is still useless in top play and not all that great in normal play. The micro buffs are laughable.

But they went to town on Wattson probably because they see Pathfinders and Wattsons who work together too damn well and get into the end circle with hardly anyone that can get it. Yes, one of her pylons did need a nerf. Or maybe one fence. Something needed to change though because she was too effective. But they went whole hog on her just like they did Lifeline. I was a top teamplayer and reviver man, and they basically made me question whether I should even pick that legend anymore. And I don't honestly because Lifeline can't get away from top headshotters like other legends can. When I can't heal with my drone in the shield at all, and the ultimate is loud, well you got slow self-heal and faster healing, which are nice but sometimes not enough to overcome the huge advantage of Wraith and Pathfinder or even Bang sometimes. Don't get me wrong Lifeline is balanced now, but those two are not.

And now people are calling for Bang's ult to be like Gibby lol. It's just gonna cause more and more imbalance in this game if they start doing these random changes without thinking of the bigger picture. Obviously, they need to stop being afraid of their streamer base getting mad.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The game essentially has 3 "Skulltowns" now....

- The Gauntlet
- Wraiths Lab
- Actual Skulltown

You land in any one of these and you're all but guaranteed action. I like it.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I hate skulltown with a unhealthy passion.

If ever i'm with randoms that ping the place it normally gives me an idea of what kind of player you are, and it's mostly players that are kill greedy and don't give a shit about teamwork, reviving or getting a decent placement.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I hate skulltown with a unhealthy passion.

If ever i'm with randoms that ping the place it normally gives me an idea of what kind of player you are, and it's mostly players that are kill greedy and don't give a shit about teamwork, reviving or getting a decent placement.

Interesting. May I recommend Skulltown V3 (Wraiths Lab)?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The game essentially has 3 "Skulltowns" now....

- The Gauntlet
- Wraiths Lab
- Actual Skulltown

You land in any one of these and you're all but guaranteed action. I like it.

Not a fan of skulltown but at least you get 15-30 seconds of looting before the fireworks commence, along with other strategy options (do i crawl through the houses or stay on the rooftops?) Wraith's lab just feels like a bad Quake arena where half of you wont have weapons

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skulltown is a better hot drop than most because it has AMPLE cover and verticality. If you're a good team you can 9/10 make it out just fine.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan of skulltown but at least you get 15-30 seconds of looting before the fireworks commence, along with other strategy options (do i crawl through the houses or stay on the rooftops?) Wraith's lab just feels like a bad Quake arena where half of you wont have weapons

I'm mainly referring to the idea that these 3 areas will almost always have multiple teams dropping there. Wraiths lab is a total shit show and the only real strategy there is to land outside and grab guns then go in and mop up. I do think the layout is fun though....

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hammerpoint Moz and G7 scout unscoped or with a close range sight is my fave combo in the new mode. It's super deadly at close to medium range with armour so scarce,.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Hammerpoint Moz and G7 scout unscoped or with a close range sight is my fave combo in the new mode. It's super deadly at close to medium range with armour so scarce,.

G7 is nice with a blue mag or above. So many shots available. Did they increase how much the extended mags hold on the scout? Someone I was playing with last night thought they did.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Been playing the Snipey/Shotey game mode, I quite enjoy it, it's fun. It's a good occasion to train my sniping skills that are quite shoddy. I also tried that new Lab place (which, before, was one of my secret "nobody will drop here I can chill and loot" spot, but not anymore I guess...) and ugh, ok, never managed to make it out alive once. Not sure what the fun is when you can only just run around without a gun, being gazed left and right. I'll leave it be for now, I much prefer the actual Skulltown which at least give you the time to loot a gun and a shield before having to fight people, it feels way fairer there.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Not feeling this new mode at all. I guess if you like sniping it's there. I don't mind it, but all the limited stuff just makes Pathfinder and the like even more OP than they already are. Solos or bust for me.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Drop outside of the lab and immediately head in the bunker doors. Grab a gun from the first room at the bottom of the stairs and proceed to wipe the floor with all the squads trying to escape the portal room. Play as Caustic for good measure.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling this new mode at all. I guess if you like sniping it's there. I don't mind it, but all the limited stuff just makes Pathfinder and the like even more OP than they already are. Solos or bust for me.

It's fun in some ways, but also it makes classes too OP as nobody has decent shield, thus all offensive ults or traps become crazy powerful. It also means that it pretty much takes out mid-range combat, it's either getting sniped from half a mile away or getting shottied in the face. It's interesting for an experiment but it shows that, unlike Solo, not much thought was put into this.

Singh Deep

Dec 10, 2017
Wait, when did they nerf the Carbine? I hopped back on the game recently, and I thought my controller must've had some mechanical issue since I kept consistently missing shots with the R301 during medium range fights.

Have had some great rapport with the Carbine during the Diamond grind, but damn, kinda' disappointed with that change

Rental

Oct 28, 2017

He's not really op in the mode. His zip can be a death trap just as much as an escape. It's not hard to hit shots when people are zipping.

Caustic can be viable with limited guns at the start. At least you get gas to start with if the area is congested. I've knocked people out with fists and gas when they had a shotgun. Get the kill and take the gun.

Bloodhound for tracking and that ult at a distance makes sniping easy and up close it can help escape shotgun blasts and reposition with the speed boosts.

Lifeline for heals due to low supplies and her care packages for potential items also due to the low supply count.

Octane for speed and also as with the lifeline heal regeneration is underrated in this mode. Just having that with no syringes is huge.

Gibraltar for the arm shield. I've been out sniped due to that damn shield.

Bangalore for smokes since third partying at a distance is brutal. Smoke and escape.

Really I'm not seeing a major advantage of Pathfinder in this mode. If he's up in the cliffs hide and someone is going to snipe him. Most of those high points only has oneexitt so it's not hard to force him out since everyone should eventually have range and close quarters.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's fun in some ways, but also it makes classes too OP as nobody has decent shield, thus all offensive ults or traps become crazy powerful. It also means that it pretty much takes out mid-range combat, it's either getting sniped from half a mile away or getting shottied in the face. It's interesting for an experiment but it shows that, unlike Solo, not much thought was put into this.

What gets me is its not even viable for shotties, its really just a sniper only mode. Not mad at it, but with such a restriction on gear and by extension play styles like you said it just exacerbates the legend balancing issues in the game

Since the datamines hint at reused Titanfall assets for future PvE playtypes hopefully down the line throwoff modes like this can be run without choosing a 'legend' but you playing as generic army models so you can skip the balancing issue.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
What gets me is its not even viable for shotties, its really just a sniper only mode. Not mad at it, but with such a restriction on gear and by extension play styles like you said it just exacerbates the legend balancing issues in the game

Since the datamines hint at reused Titanfall assets for future PvE playtypes hopefully down the line throwoff modes like this can be run without choosing a 'legend' but you playing as generic army models so you can skip the balancing issue.
I've tried this mode enough to know when I won't even finish it already. The RNG is really bad. Locations are super important, the snipe is everywhere, and I simply don't even like sniping in the first place on 20 tickrate games. Nevermind playing with randoms on this. Meh. This mode was poorly thought out and will get very little of the popularity that Solos had going. I still kind like the new Lifeline skin, but this mode brings me down. The only thing left is Diamond, which makes me want to sleep. Oh well I guess. I wish they had more alternate stuff we could spend some of these tokens on.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
He's not really op in the mode. His zip can be a death trap just as much as an escape. It's not hard to hit shots when people are zipping.

Caustic can be viable with limited guns at the start. At least you get gas to start with if the area is congested. I've knocked people out with fists and gas when they had a shotgun. Get the kill and take the gun.

Bloodhound for tracking and that ult at a distance makes sniping easy and up close it can help escape shotgun blasts and reposition with the speed boosts.

Lifeline for heals due to low supplies and her care packages for potential items also due to the low supply count.

Octane for speed and also as with the lifeline heal regeneration is underrated in this mode. Just having that with no syringes is huge.

Gibraltar for the arm shield. I've been out sniped due to that damn shield.

Bangalore for smokes since third partying at a distance is brutal. Smoke and escape.

Really I'm not seeing a major advantage of Pathfinder in this mode. If he's up in the cliffs hide and someone is going to snipe him. Most of those high points only has oneexitt so it's not hard to force him out since everyone should eventually have range and close quarters.
Pathfinder brings more advantage over others based on his abilities alone. It's really nice to get around to camp snipe in different areas. While it won't prevent stupid people from dying a lot, his grapple gets out of tight positions as well. You listed a couple things that might help some characters, but they all are for sure not equal.

People tend to overrate the heavies when with a lot of sniping they are very easy to hit. If you can camp until the last area without engagements sure a lot of things are helpful. But overall throughout the main game there are distinct advantages to movement, even more so in this mode.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about path that makes him really over the top insane is that his zip is just as good, if not even better, for actually being aggressive and not just setting up sniper perch spots.

If you get a down from afar with a sniper, but they have cover, that res is likely going off for most team comps. Unless it's a super far distance a path team can pretty much always actually push on that down. The jumping ground grapple flings are always able to get him super far, the cool down on that huge mobility is short, and he comes at weird angles he can bunny hop or just slide from on top of building momentum that makes him hard to hit. He's basically the best at actually pushing with a shotgun in a mode that otherwise is sniper dominated, but he ALSO excels with sniping angles.

I think path is busted good in general but he's basically 2 for 2 on these other modes for me as well since he was overwhelmingly the best in solo too.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, when did they nerf the Carbine? I hopped back on the game recently, and I thought my controller must've had some mechanical issue since I kept consistently missing shots with the R301 during medium range fights.

Have had some great rapport with the Carbine during the Diamond grind, but damn, kinda' disappointed with that change

It was nerfed two patches ago, it now has random recoil patterns that you can't control. Pretty bad change, R-99 is now king not only close range, but mid range as well.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Skulltown is a better hot drop than most because it has AMPLE cover and verticality. If you're a good team you can 9/10 make it out just fine.
Yeah, I totally agree with this. Skulltown is a great drop. Enough loot for everyone and the layout/map position makes it very easy for a good team to take an advantage, stabilize, rotate out, yadda yadda. Like, the Gauntlet is fun, but if you don't get lucky with the first place you drop you're a sitting duck for everyone else.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming R99 will finally get hit when the next season launches since that was when they said they usually really want to shake the meta up.

I am curious how they handle it though. You can currently hit at pretty absurd ranges with it pacing your shots, but it IS still an SMG. Currently the only weapon that has any damage drop off is the havoc alt beam IIRC, I wonder if they'll implement anything for other weapon classes. It's one of the only ways I can see the ARs shining more as you can get by surprisingly well without one.

Like R99 peacekeeper FEELS like it should be all in on CQC only but you actually have pretty ridiculous range together.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Knocked out 5 wins in Armed and Dangerous for the badge last night. 1x on the scout rifle is definitely the go-to weapon once the circle gets smaller.

Also, the second stage of the "30 headshots" challenge is "60 headshots", and it resets completely. So 90 headshots total.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Hold my beer while I barely survive a fight after emptying a purple clip Spitfire into an enemy with white armor.
I laugh then cry when i realize the person who has the spitfire also has a purp clip, and i accept my incoming death.

Wingman is the most annoying shit ever, I absolutely hate Pathfinder players who use Wingman. Can't kill those folks ever.

every once in a while i match up with a wraith. they have god aim and are using a wingman. they down people so far away that i wish i had better vision. its an amazing thing to witness being carried by a wingman.

but for me, anyone with a pathfinder,can own me. they can have a p2020 and ill never be able to hit then with any weapon i have. even my fistssss

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's September and you still can not see some of the people landing nor hear their footsteps. They just appear out of thin air.

Sigh.

EDIT: Two games in a row now.

Last edited:

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
The problem with this event is that it's just horrible garbage regular servers. I don't even play regular servers anymore with randoms because solos in that is cancer. I don't want cancer, hence this new game just kind of sucks outside of premades. Hardly anyone even bothering to play this from my lists. I just can't do a mode where one guy on your team is dead within 20 seconds each and every time out. Not playable to me and not fun. I've tried about ten games now, and I just don't even want to play Apex anymore. I can't believe Solos is being pushed back in favor of this stuff.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's funny how Pathfinder is now considered OP.
When the game first came out, he was thought of as one of the weakest legends and Bloodhound was top tier.
Pairing him up with Bangalore and her smoke was a very popular tactic.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the game first came out, he was thought of as one of the weakest legends and Bloodhound was top tier.
dat changing meta

Also didn't help he had hitbox issues which they have fixed.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

His massive hitbox changed a lot. But yeah things changed a lot even without that.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
A week after starting this game I finally earned enough credits to unlock a character, wooh! Gonna go with Mirage as I like the look of his abilities. Plus he has hilarious moving avatars on his banner.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Hold my beer while I barely survive a fight after emptying a purple clip Spitfire into an enemy with white armor.

How dare you call me out in broad daylight like that? I wasn't prepared.

Really loving the fact they created a Trello to better communicate with players about what's being worked on. Really appreciate that, I hope people won't abuse it and make them close it.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Appreciate Respawn not locking anything interesting behind the new mode, because wow, I fuckin hate it. The lack of loot variety completely kills it for me.

As a Wattson main I get the nerf, but HP + barrier seems a bit excessive, should've been one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.