• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did you pull it off?

Managed to carry a first timer to his first win in his first game yesterday :)

image0.jpg

I couldn't man. Not last night. Started strong with my second who I consider my squad mate. But the two coworkers once he got off?

Brand new. Brand brand new. Rough. Had to switch to 2K after 2 hours of losing lol.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how popular the streamer Shroud is with Apex Legends, this news is saddening for him - https://kotaku.com/top-apex-legends-streamer-out-of-commission-after-scoot-1833244216

Description of the accident (WARNING: Potentially graphic in detail)
"He hit the brakes too hard, and he flew over the handlebars about 10 to 12 feet, onto the asphalt," Just9n said during a stream yesterday. "Now, being Mike, he's looking out for his right arm, he fell on his left arm—all of his weight. He got a bunch of road rash from about his hip down to the middle of his thigh. It's all purple and blue, all fucked up. He landed on his elbow, put a huge hole in his elbow. From what I understand, he tore a ligament and removed a piece of the bone from the elbow, so [the surgeons] need to go in and reattach that bone to his elbow."

According to Just9n, Shroud may need multiple surgeries if the doctors find an infection.

Ouch.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn hope Shroud recovers.

I don't watch streamers at all. Only from what I've seen in threads and YouTube clips but I know that name. Damn.

Super petty thing. But I hopped on 2K with my coworkers knowing I'm bad at sports games but the point of a strong team is finally through their heads.

It took me playing like ass on my court for them to realize...yeah shit ain't fun carrying huh. Notice it.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I mean, that's their job, right? Their specialty? The thing they're supposed to be best at?

If a publisher is having a really hard time with "managing a bunch of games", I'm more than a little worried

Worry away and then some! All I'm doing is speculating and trying to understand the challenge that comes with scaling the workforce of an overnight sensation that's ballooned to over 50 million players at a speed faster than any other competitor. Coming off of the relative commercial underperformance of Titanfall 2, I just wouldn't be surprised Respawn didn't have the clout to demand a lot of support from EA before the game came out.

But yeah, I don't have any concrete knowledge on the inner workings of either Respawn or EA. The only hard facts are this game is massively popular right now, Epic set a real high standard for updates that people expect from any GAAS moving forward, and plenty of Apex Legends players want that Battle Pass ASAP and more communication from Respawn.

Ball's in their court.

I don't mind waiting. Still playing a couple of hours every day and alternating with Fallout: New Vegas before Sekiro comes out! And like how I stuck with Overwatch for almost three years, I'll probably be playing more Apex in between new games for quite some time as long as Respawn keeps supporting it.

EDIT: also jesus that sounds awful for shroud. and i can even remember watching his stream where he first got that scooter delivered to his house too. he was super excited about it!

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
You can see why Respawn don't want to commit to a date for the BP. If it wasn't live within 60 seconds of whatever they said the community would be in meltdown.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Worry away and then some! All I'm doing is speculating and trying to understand the challenge that comes with scaling the workforce of an overnight sensation that's ballooned to over 50 million players at a speed faster than any other competitor. Coming off of the relative commercial underperformance of Titanfall 2, I just wouldn't be surprised Respawn didn't have the clout to demand a lot of support from EA before the game came out.

But yeah, I don't have any concrete knowledge on the inner workings of either Respawn or EA. The only hard facts are this game is massively popular right now, Epic set a real high standard for updates that people expect from any GAAS moving forward, and plenty of Apex Legends players want that Battle Pass ASAP and more communication from Respawn.

Ball's in their court.

Epic has also had 1.5 years to perfect their content delivery pipeline, while Apex Legend has been out for 5.5 weeks. Everyone is so thirsty, it's like they've been walking the Atacama Desert for a month.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Omg. Playing with 2 brand new players (co workers) is sooooooo rough. Omg.

I was playing the other day with 2 randoms that were really fucking funny to chat with so we all partied up. We lost a couple of matches and then I had to take off. Next day we regroup for a longer session and one of the guys kills 1 enemy and then says "Oh wow, I never do this well in this game!"

Instantly realized I was in a bad squad right there. We lost every game.
Fun guys though....just can't look for a win with them.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Wow, really hope Shroud is okay. This was actually my first month subbing to him due to the Apex hype so i've been watching him a lot so that's terrible news.
This is why i'd never ride a scooter/motorcycle their just too damn dangerous.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Fortnite really has set an impossibly high bar for updates with so many people demanding the battle pass now and just the general outcry for more communication. The fortune Epic has amassed and continues to amass from Fortnite's industry-changing success will keep that game head-and-shoulders above the competition in terms of new content and outreach for quite some time.

100% sure Respawn did not anticipate how huge Apex Legends would be from the jump. I can't imagine how frantic their offices have been these past 5 weeks about scaling the teams working on the game and with their bosses at EA hounding them about monetization schemes and content roadmaps. Even with EA probably now diverting more of their resources to supporting Respawn, I think it's still gonna take some time for the studio to come close to matching Epic's pace of updating Fortnite.

Fair or not, the part of the playerbase that has been super vocal about the game are clamoring for new stuff, balance patches, and more communication from Respawn delivered as fast as Epic is with Fortnite.

Personally, I'm fine with waiting! Only other GAAS game I've stuck with for years is Overwatch, so I'm used to a slow drip feed of updates.

More than anything, this is why Fortnite is so successful and deserves it. Epic communicates, iterates, and adds content to their game at a pace no one else comes close to matching. It feels like they're doing something else entirely. Every other dev is basically "soon, please understand." There's not much reason to expect Respawn to be much different, despite their immense skill. Epic's just in a different level when it comes to this.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
You can see why Respawn don't want to commit to a date for the BP. If it wasn't live within 60 seconds of whatever they said the community would be in meltdown.
You can´t blame them when Respawn is communicating with us so scarcely. It is pretty clear the the battlepass was originally supposed to drop on the 12th but something happened and it was delayed. The Octane banner on origin and AMD teasing a patch for the Legends indicates this. They could just tell us that they aren´t content yet with the battle pass or that they need to patch the free apex coins bug first. Their "very soon" is nothing but frustrating, very soon could mean tomorrow, next week or on the 31st. The community would appreciate it a lot if they would be more open with us and let us be part of the development process. We want the game to succeed just as much as Respawn wants to.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Fortnite really has set an impossibly high bar for updates with so many people demanding the battle pass now and just the general outcry for more communication. The fortune Epic has amassed and continues to amass from Fortnite's industry-changing success will keep that game head-and-shoulders above the competition in terms of new content and outreach for quite some time.

100% sure Respawn did not anticipate how huge Apex Legends would be from the jump. I can't imagine how frantic their offices have been these past 5 weeks about scaling the teams working on the game and with their bosses at EA hounding them about monetization schemes and content roadmaps. Even with EA probably now diverting more of their resources to supporting Respawn, I think it's still gonna take some time for the studio to come close to matching Epic's pace of updating Fortnite.

Fair or not, the part of the playerbase that has been super vocal about the game are clamoring for new stuff, balance patches, and more communication from Respawn delivered as fast as Epic is with Fortnite.

Personally, I'm fine with waiting! Only other GAAS game I've stuck with for years is Overwatch, so I'm used to a slow drip feed of updates.

Yeah. I'm 100% with you. I'm used to Overwatch updates so this "wait" isn't as dire as others who are used to Fortnite's rapid pace.

We also have to remember that Epic Games made the Unreal Engine and can collectively bend it to their will. We have no idea how difficult it is to develop in Source.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
It took Fortnite around 5 or 6 months to get the same number of players Apex amassed in 4 weeks....

It also took them nearly 2 months to release Fortnite's first battlepass.

Have patience people, I'm sure they're busy working to get the battlepass out as soon as humanly possible.

Last edited:

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Had a random beg us to subscribe to his youtube channel. They did 100 damage, good stuff. :/

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
okay, im starting to enjoy havok. just need that hop up, turbocharger. (however i want to use the select fire and improve my aim)

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
It took Fortnite around 5 or 6 months to get the same number of players Apex amassed in 4 weeks....

It also took them nearly 2 months to release Fortnite's first battlepass.

Have patience people, I'm sure they're busy working to get the battlepass out as soon as humanly possible.

From what I understand - Epic has something like 700 people working on Fortnite and just cranking out content regularly. It's a well oiled machine. The last time I checked - Respawn had something like 100 or so employees. So, people can do the math on this one. It's going to to take them longer to get content going unless they scale up and Vince is no idiot here - he'll do what it takes to keep this gravy train rolling.

Personally, I could really give a shit about when the BP drops other than the fact that I'd just like to support them as I believe they're one of the most talented studios out there. I'm still having a blast playing Apex and switching Legends up keeps thing feeling fresh.

The one thing DOES piss me off is their pricing on skins in the store. I think it's an absolute crime that they're charging $18 for a single fucking skin.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Given how popular the streamer Shroud is with Apex Legends, this news is saddening for him - https://kotaku.com/top-apex-legends-streamer-out-of-commission-after-scoot-1833244216

Description of the accident (WARNING: Potentially graphic in detail)
"He hit the brakes too hard, and he flew over the handlebars about 10 to 12 feet, onto the asphalt," Just9n said during a stream yesterday. "Now, being Mike, he's looking out for his right arm, he fell on his left arm—all of his weight. He got a bunch of road rash from about his hip down to the middle of his thigh. It's all purple and blue, all fucked up. He landed on his elbow, put a huge hole in his elbow. From what I understand, he tore a ligament and removed a piece of the bone from the elbow, so [the surgeons] need to go in and reattach that bone to his elbow."

According to Just9n, Shroud may need multiple surgeries if the doctors find an infection.

Damn, that's crazy. I pop into his stream every few days, and I remember just last week when he was talking about how he just got that new scooter. He left stream for a few minutes to test it out, and said how scary fast it was, and how he tested it without a helmet. Life comes at you fast, I guess?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Damn, that's crazy. I pop into his stream every few days, and I remember just last week when he was talking about how he just got that new scooter. He left stream for a few minutes to test it out, and said how scary fast it was, and how he tested it without a helmet. Life comes at you fast, I guess?

It's kind of surreal because I was watching his 100K subs celebration stream just a few days ago. And now this.

One moment, you're on top of the world...

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of reviving me, this dude puts a decoy next to my body and chases the enemy. They kill him and we finish 2nd, nice.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Epic has also had 1.5 years to perfect their content delivery pipeline, while Apex Legend has been out for 5.5 weeks. Everyone is so thirsty, it's like they've been walking the Atacama Desert for a month.
And let's not forget that lots and lots of Fortnite updates have had to be reverted and/or delayed because they were clearly not actually ready for release. They would also release clearly overpowered weapons and items and then have to scramble to balance them, sometimes within the same day of the release. Respawn says they are not going to do it that way.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this snowstorm is bout to knock the power out. That'd suck if the bp magically dropped today.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I always have trouble deciding if I'm getting better or if I'm just lucking into games with worse opponents. Had a couple of wins yesterday, this morning kept placing top 3 with 4-6 kills even when my squad was having none, but...just a couple of days ago it felt like it was constant quick losses. I guess that's part of the fun, though...

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
And let's not forget that lots and lots of Fortnite updates have had to be reverted and/or delayed because they were clearly not actually ready for release. They would also release clearly overpowered weapons and items and then have to scramble to balance them, sometimes within the same day of the release. Respawn says they are not going to do it that way.

Makes sense and thank goodness. I hate the idea of playing a broken patch, then needing to wait until it gets fixed. Just decreases my overall confidence in the product and future roll-outs.

Respawn has something special on their hands IMO.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, cosmetics-wise the Battle Pass really can't come soon enough. I'm well over level 60 so I'm getting Apex Packs suuuper slowly right now, and I'm pretty sure the last 5 or so packs have only had whites and blues in them.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of reviving me, this dude puts a decoy next to my body and chases the enemy. They kill him and we finish 2nd, nice.
I dunno, sounds like he was trying to go for a bamboozle finish, I can't fault someone for trying to be clever with their skills.
Agreed. That was actually really smart of said player. I would have GG'd him at the end for trying. Seems he was outnumbered. Reviving most likely would've been a death sentence anyway.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, sounds like he was trying to go for a bamboozle finish, I can't fault someone for trying to be clever with their skills.
Agreed. That was actually really smart of said player. I would have GG'd him at the end for trying. Seems he was outnumbered. Reviving most likely would've been a death sentence anyway.

The enemy wasn't close. Most of the time you don't wanna revive in a middle of a fight, he was near me for five seconds before abandoning me with a decoy to chase the enemy, bad call.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Got my 100lvl apex pack last night, a common bit of materials, a quip for Pathfinder, and a rare skin for the Mozambique.

One. Hundred. Levels. lol

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Doesnt that make your wallet tingle for buying boxes? Thats what EA told us!

For sure, I've said a couple of times here that I have $21 saved just for Apex in my walltet but I won't dare to buy anything knowing that the battle pass is so close, that's why I say I find it pointless to not give more clear information about it.

I understand that some details might not be closed yet but a "more info next week or x day" would be something.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at level 70 and I have only collected like 300 crafting materials somehow. I'm officially never paying a dime for whatever cosmetic crap they are cooking up. I'm just going to keep playing the game with the standard skins and ignore the paper doll aspect altogether. Also, no offense to Respawn, but I'm going to enjoy not giving EA any money.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
For sure, I've said a couple of times here that I have $21 saved just for Apex in my walltet but I won't dare to buy anything knowing that the battle pass is so close, that's why I say I find it pointless to not give more clear information about it.

I understand that some details might not be closed yet but a "more info next week or x day" would be something.
Same. I've been saving my 1000 Apex credits from the EA Access bonuxs in anticipation of the Battle pass but have been itching to buy more Apex credits all the time for more packs. i'm thankful Overwatch has taught me restraint since I blew so much money on lootboxes in that game to feel burned for a lifetime.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse than have people you play games with have make their own 3 stack squad and play without you all the time?

Them deciding to go with a random over you.

And OF COURSE this is the game I really liked playing and dumped money in to with the founders pack thing because I liked playing it with them before they dumped me.

I need solo mode.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i loooooove when you slide around a corner and just blast the unsuspecting foe for the takedown and squad wipe. mmmm

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I still haven't gotten a single legendary skin for any characters, just a few weapon skins and ugly animated banners that I won't use lol

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't gotten a single legendary skin for any characters, just a few weapon skins and ugly animated banners that I won't use lol

Same, I have been lvl100 for ages, got the twitch prime boxes + EA access boxes but all I still have is 0 legendary legend skins, 1 weapon skin (p2020) and rest are useless banners.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I get high level teammates they land in the highest population spot possible and we die immediately. :(

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
People on all social media are starting to become annoying with all that "where's the battle pass" .. chill ffs, the game been out for a month.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I don't remember watching any Mixer streams recently, but I just got a Starter Pack as a reward for "joining the Hype Zone - Apex Legends" or something. If you're on Xbox, maybe check your notifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.