• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I have been outplayed twice tonight by players who crouched mid strafe, this truly is Halo's spiritual successor. Needless to say I switched to hold to crouch aswell

Oct 28, 2017
Just in a game with a Pathfinder who had 134 Season 1 wins. Wins! That's more wins than I've got Season 1 kills with any character. Insane.

135 wins now. Unbelievable player. 12 kills. Every single fire fight they came out of it barely scratched.

One of my pathetic two kills was the final kill though. So I did do something!

Oct 28, 2017
OK, so I messaged the player after the match saying they were unbelievably good. Got a reply along the lines of "keyboard and mouse is great".

That's tainted that somewhat. Didn't even know K&M was an option on the Xbox. God damnit! I fucking hate keyboard and mouse users on consoles. Fuck off!

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm at over 300 Season 1 wins between all the characters so far, 512 wins (if I didn't miscount somewhere along the way) since the game came out. No mouse and keyboard, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weird flex but OK.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Well that was a headshot. Almost right through my robot bud, but actually between his body and arm.

https://streamable.com/g066o
More of through the butt :p Nice shot
OK, so I messaged the player after the match saying they were unbelievably good. Got a reply along the lines of "keyboard and mouse is great".

That's tainted that somewhat. Didn't even know K&M was an option on the Xbox. God damnit! I fucking hate keyboard and mouse users on consoles. Fuck off!
Although Microsoft now supports keyboard and mouse but he's definitely using it the other way with a xim adapter

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

Wow. So he's definitely nowhere near as good as he appears then. I'm definitely of the mindset that using KB/M on console is as close to the word "cheating" as you can get without it actually being cheating. What Bauer did without a KB/M is way more impressive.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I made it folks. Reddit famous. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegend...ay_footage/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

My clip is the first one in the 'reddit plays Apex' montage.

Just in a game with a Pathfinder who had 134 Season 1 wins. Wins! That's more wins than I've got Season 1 kills with any character. Insane.

135 wins now. Unbelievable player. 12 kills. Every single fire fight they came out of it barely scratched.

One of my pathetic two kills was the final kill though. So I did do something!

That's not too many to be honest. I have 130 with Octane and between 250-300 across the season. Around 600 total.

I've not been playing as much this season though. When the season launched I quit playing for 2 weeks.

I win about 1/4 of my games, and have just under a 6.0 KDR. It's not that hard to achieve in this kind of battle royale because of the time to kill and lack of skill based matchmaking. I imagine that top streamers have KDRs above 20.

Reminds me of games like Starhawk/Warhawk. High learning curve, high time to kill, plus lack of skill based matchmaking meant that I had a KDR beyond 8.0 on those games. I like games that are designed like that, to allow good players to perform consistently well, but honestly, I think it makes the game rather inaccessible for newcomers and the like.

Games like that normally die out pretty quick to be honest. Lawbreakers was the same. Insane learning curve and skill ceiling, I was absolutely tearing up on that game, felt almost untouchable. But I imagine it also didn't feel that much fun to play for certain players. Then we have games like Overwatch, which I don't really enjoy, because a child walking forward holding R2 can kill you if their team supports them.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
With Apex now dropping to #4 on XBL Most Played - I'm just wondering: What the fuck game is ever going to to fully dethrone Fortnite at this point?

Apex is now officially going the opposite direction in terms of popularity and games like GTA V (who are WAY older!) have overtaken it. What gives?

Fortnite is a constantly-evolving game with a really addictive loot treadmill attached. The cosmetics are top-notch and it feels like there's an endless supply of them. Many are limited-time only rewards, so FOMO is a real factor.

Apex Legends has one map, one mode, and a new character every three months. The cosmetics aren't great and It gives you absolutely no way to earn them once you hit the level cap.

I love the core gameplay but it almost feels like Respawn doesn't even want me to play anymore. Maybe this is their way of handling server load. :)

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite is a constantly-evolving game with a really addictive loot treadmill attached. The cosmetics are top-notch and it feels like there's an endless supply of them. Many are limited-time only rewards, so FOMO is a real factor.

Apex Legends has one map, one mode, and a new character every three months. The cosmetics aren't great and It gives you absolutely no way to earn them once you hit the level cap.

I love the core gameplay but it almost feels like Respawn doesn't even want me to play anymore. Maybe this is their way of handling server load. :)
At this point, I think Epic could crush Apex, PUBG and other "less cartoony" BRs by releasing their own. They have the experience, BP experience and dev team to pull it off. They could corner the market.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, I think Epic could crush Apex, PUBG and other "less cartoony" BRs by releasing their own. They have the experience, BP experience and dev team to pull it off. They could corner the market.

The fact Fortnite isn't a FPS is what is killing me the most from ever playing the game. I'd like to see Epic do something like an Unreal Tournament style BR.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017

Never thought about it, but I think you're right. A more hardcore take on the genre for all the players complaining about "bloom" etc. would probably do well for them.

I'm curious to see if Blizzard gives battle royale a shot. At the very least they're nimble enough as a developer to fix bugs and do nice cosmetics.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just some tips for looting...

Having played with lots of different players from my friends list, something I've noticed that really holds people back is how they loot. Spending more time looting means that you're placing more risk on not just yourself, but your team. Not only are you not ready to react when you get attacked, but your team as a whole are likely waiting for you, and poorly positioned as a result.

In an ideal scenario, you want to move between fights to tactically strong positions very quickly, so that if another team follows up, you're not in a bad spot. In Apex, it's impossible to overstate how much positioning matters. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you're a great player, if your poorly positioned and forced to fight, the odds are stacked against you.

So, it's annoying when my team get us stuck in a bad spot, because they spent too long in a box. With that in mind, I wanted to outline some tips that might help players avoid these instances.

Goal Directed vs Speculative Looting

The most common mistake I see from players is that they are looting speculatively, without a particular aim or purpose. These players sit in the deathbox inventory contemplating the value proposition of two different options. This then, consumes a much larger amount of time. When you're playing Apex you should have a mental model of what your ideal loadout for that game looks like, and then based on this, be mindful of the items that you need at all times. I don't get into these scenarios where I'm in a box trying to make a decision on Wingman or Spitfire because I've already made that decision very early.

For instance, early on in a game I might pick up an alternator, and a hemlock. From this moment, I know that my end-goal loadout is R99 + Wingman. At this point I'll say 'Looking for an R301 & Wingman'. I also need heavy and light mags, but I don't need to call this out because my team will ping magazines anyway.

From here, I can spend just seconds in each box, typically only grabbing ammunition, heals, and potentially grenades.

Don't Loot Every Box

Another common mistake that I see players making is that they get bogged down looting every box. Just because there's 6 loot boxes on the floor, doesn't mean you need to loot every one. Especially when you already have the guns you need. Mid-late game I'm very rarely looking in boxes for anything but heals and ammunition.

Pick one or two boxes, take what you need, and tell your teammates about the specific items you're looking for. If you each grab one box, then call out the items that other players might want from the others, you can save vast amounts of time where your team would otherwise be vulnerable. It helps to play with a regular group of people, because when I play with my friends I know what loadout they want. For instance, I know that my buddy Hotdog always runs a longbow, so if I see it, or related attachments, I'll ping them.

Ultimately, battle royale games offer combat environments that are inherently unpredictable, and while you can't always know what's going to happen next, there are strategies that you can employ to mediate risks. Fast play and minimising the amount of time your team spends in vulnerable positions, is one such strategy, and consequentially, looting quickly and purposefully has a meaningful impact on your team performance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56449

Banned
May 3, 2019
Just some tips for looting...

Having played with lots of different players from my friends list, something I've noticed that really holds people back is how they loot. Spending more time looting means that you're placing more risk on not just yourself, but your team. Not only are you not ready to react when you get attacked, but your team as a whole are likely waiting for you, and poorly positioned as a result.

In an ideal scenario, you want to move between fights to tactically strong positions very quickly, so that if another team follows up, you're not in a bad spot. In Apex, it's impossible to overstate how much positioning matters. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you're a great player, if your poorly positioned and forced to fight, the odds are stacked against you.

So, it's annoying when my team get us stuck in a bad spot, because they spent too long in a box. With that in mind, I wanted to outline some tips that might help players avoid these instances.

Goal Directed vs Speculative Looting

The most common mistake I see from players is that they are looting speculatively, without a particular aim or purpose. These players sit in the deathbox inventory contemplating the value proposition of two different options. This then, consumes a much larger amount of time. When you're playing Apex you should have a mental model of what your ideal loadout for that game looks like, and then based on this, be mindful of the items that you need at all times. I don't get into these scenarios where I'm in a box trying to make a decision on Wingman or Spitfire because I've already made that decision very early.

For instance, early on in a game I might pick up an alternator, and a hemlock. From this moment, I know that my end-goal loadout is R99 + Wingman. At this point I'll say 'Looking for an R301 & Wingman'. I also need heavy and light mags, but I don't need to call this out because my team will ping magazines anyway.

From here, I can spend just seconds in each box, typically only grabbing ammunition, heals, and potentially grenades.

Don't Loot Every Box

Another common mistake that I see players making is that they get bogged down looting every box. Just because there's 6 loot boxes on the floor, doesn't mean you need to loot every one. Especially when you already have the guns you need. Mid-late game I'm very rarely looking in boxes for anything but heals and ammunition.

Pick one or two boxes, take what you need, and tell your teammates about the specific items you're looking for. If you each grab one box, then call out the items that other players might want from the others, you can save vast amounts of time where your team would otherwise be vulnerable. It helps to play with a regular group of people, because when I play with my friends I know what loadout they want. For instance, I know that my buddy Hotdog always runs a longbow, so if I see it, or related attachments, I'll ping them.

Ultimately, battle royale games offer combat environments that are inherently unpredictable, and while you can't always know what's going to happen next, there are strategies that you can employ to mediate risks. Fast play and minimising the amount of time your team spends in vulnerable positions, is one such strategy, and consequentially, looting quickly and purposefully has a meaningful impact on your team performance.
Good tips, I enjoyed reading it all as I'm one of them that does exactly what you wrote. The real question though, does it make any difference? You'll get third partied anyways. They'll hunt you down when you're weak mate

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Zimds was one of the big titanfall guys so it's cool to see him play Apex even though I don't think he likes it as much as he did TF. Ofc his pathfinder movement is good lol:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good tips, I enjoyed reading it all as I'm one of them that does exactly what you wrote. The real question though, does it make any difference? You'll get third partied anyways. They'll hunt you down when you're weak mate

I think it absolutely makes a difference. When a fight ends, if you spend less time looting and more time focusing on exactly what you need to do to get ready for another fight, you're less likely to get caught with your pants down. You're less likely to be hit, when you're weak.

I loot a lot faster than most of my team mates and it's frustrating how often they die before they can react to what's happening. Sure, they get out of the box in time but they're often so poorly positioned (e.g. looting in a house, and the house becomes surrounded before they realise what's going on).

All of the small decisions make a difference. It's the attribution of all of of those little details that separates bad players from those who are better.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Respawn just isn't going to implement a punishment for quiters at this point? They haven't talked about it at all since they removed it.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dear randoms please work on your drop selection and staying with your team. Also adjusting your drops mid flight is a worthwhile skill to learn. K thx bye.

Dropping with randos when I'm not playing with mates is doing my fucking head in.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
So if you have a Longbow or Triple Take with good attachments - what do you guys usually run as your second gun? R301? Spitfire?

I usually never bother with it but I accidentally had to roll with a Longbow on a drop yesterday and I dropped a whole squad with it. Think this might be my new go to.

Deleted member 56449

Banned
May 3, 2019
So if you have a Longbow or Triple Take with good attachments - what do you guys usually run as your second gun? R301? Spitfire?

I usually never bother with it but I accidentally had to roll with a Longbow on a drop yesterday and I dropped a whole squad with it. Think this might be my new go to.
R-99 or R-301. The Longbow is a beast now after the buff

Deleted member 56449

Banned
May 3, 2019
they cant keep their current pace/low quality patches and expect people to stick around
Game been out for just 3 months so they got plenty of time ahead. Also there's no need for events every week. The core gameplay is solid and I'm fine with seasonal updates, just fix the game breaking bugs for now

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Why do people do that? Where is the fun in playing using a better equipment? I will never understand this. Is it that 'winning' = 'fun'? Meh.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Content/events are the lowest priorities for me, it's the bugs and snail pace of "fixes" that'll kill this game.

3 months and still

- muted footsteps
- distorted audio
- disconnections
- lag
- crap hit registration
- no fill team

Most recently the borked buffs for caustic and gib. Also Pathfinders nonexistent hitbox

Deleted member 56449

Banned
May 3, 2019
Content/events are the lowest priorities for me, it's the bugs and snail pace of "fixes" that'll kill this game.

3 months and still

- muted footsteps
- distorted audio
- disconnections
- lag
- crap hit registration
- no fill team

Most recently the borked buffs for caustic and gib. Also Pathfinders nonexistent hitbox
I feel you. Especially the muted footsteps and distorted audio

It's very frustrating when you can hear a gunfight that's happening at the end of the map but can't hear someone behind you

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got back into fn lately and the fact it's always changing is why I was hooked for so long.

Yeah, Fortnite's main drive is that while the core gameplay can't really compete with the likes of PUBG or Apex, there's new worthwile stuff twice per week which always makes you look forward to what comes next, and your interest is "rewarded" with a grindy pass that does, however, have good unlocks, especially towards the end. Apex has a grindy pass, the game has been virtually identical for a long time now, and the unlocks are mainly bad, so there just isn't a whole lot to look forward to or to justify the grind. Either you are just addicted to the core gameplay, or there isn't anything to work towards or look forward to.

Then again, Fortnite is where it is because Epic killed all other projects (fucking over other playerbases) and putting their workers into 100-hour work weeks. But there has to be some kind of middle golden ground, in which you can push out decent updates every 15 days or so without killing your devs.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Fortnite's main drive is that while the core gameplay can't really compete with the likes of PUBG or Apex, there's new worthwile stuff twice per week which always makes you look forward to what comes next, and your interest is "rewarded" with a grindy pass that does, however, have good unlocks, especially towards the end. Apex has a grindy pass, the game has been virtually identical for a long time now, and the unlocks are mainly bad, so there just isn't a whole lot to look forward to or to justify the grind. Either you are just addicted to the core gameplay, or there isn't anything to work towards or look forward to.

Then again, Fortnite is where it is because Epic killed all other projects (fucking over other playerbases) and putting their workers into 100-hour work weeks. But there has to be some kind of middle golden ground, in which you can push out decent updates every 15 days or so without killing your devs.

Agreed. The gunplay in FN can't hold a candle to Apex but the games battle pass and gun / map changes spoiled me. It is what it is. The interest is gone for me, damn near. If season 2 isn't anything different from season 1 I can see myself uninstalling it completely. Fuck the crunch, though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The gunplay in FN can't hold a candle to Apex but the games battle pass and gun / map changes spoiled me. It is what it is. The interest is gone for me, damn near. If season 2 isn't anything different from season 1 I can see myself uninstalling it completely. Fuck the crunch, though.

I still have a lot of Apex Coins left from the ones I bought, probably gonna buy the next pass too, see what's up. I haven't touched the game in like 2 weeks because I don't want to get burnt out before it gets more rewarding again. But if they botch the next season as well, I'm not sure I'll still be around for when the game gets the next "big" update in what, September or so? There's just too many games to care about, too much stuff in my backlog to keep wondering if a new patch is gonna "fix" a 6-12-18 months old game from time to time.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

3 months and still

- muted footsteps
- distorted audio
- disconnections
- lag
- crap hit registration
- no fill team

I'll add more wraith's unlimited portals glitch, disappearing healing wheel where it shows no items. There is also a glitch where lifeline can glitch out the healing drone and move freely as it heals her. Terrible server performance at the start of matches.

knee

Oct 28, 2017
Question(s) for anyone who has time to answer.

I swear I'm hitting other players w/ my wingman and no contact is registering. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be leading them a little bit in the crosshair if they're moving?

Also, does anyone have a good trick they use to quickly calculate bullet drop?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a lot of Apex Coins left from the ones I bought, probably gonna buy the next pass too, see what's up. I haven't touched the game in like 2 weeks because I don't want to get burnt out before it gets more rewarding again. But if they botch the next season as well, I'm not sure I'll still be around for when the game gets the next "big" update in what, September or so? There's just too many games to care about, too much stuff in my backlog to keep wondering if a new patch is gonna "fix" a 6-12-18 months old game from time to time.

Idk. I was under the impression that they were releasing 2 guns and 2 characters per season. At least that's what I thought the road map said. Either way, point stands for me. Lol. I need a shake up. And with Borderlands 3 this year and whoever else knows what's gonna be announced for this year next month at E3 (ahem TLOU2 multiplayer?) it's a basically a wrap for this game to me. Oh well. It provided a month of nonstop playing and addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.