• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
This is nice, but it is a shame you had to boost it with your team mate. I know you mentioned that before, but you can really tell that your team mate stops shooting enemies he would have killed in the video.

It feels super difficult to get organically, at least for me. I'm rarely in a scenario where I have enough early game kills to think it might be possible. Dropping skull town makes sense, but you dropped cascades, which isn't a hugely popular zone (or a good drop zone imo).

When I'm playing with friends I'll often get several 10-16 kill, 2k damage games in a row, but never up near 20. We managed one 30+ squad kills in one of our matches yesterday, which is mad, shame there's no achievements for group kills also. I'd like to see badges for 20, 25, 30 squad kills.
Cascades is a pretty good drop IMO. It's a little spread out but it's pretty low traffic and has a surprisngly huge amount of loot due to the various double tier buildings and large single floor ones.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Cascades is a pretty good drop IMO. It's a little spread out but it's pretty low traffic and has a surprisngly huge amount of loot due to the various double tier buildings and large single floor ones.

I find that because there's a high-tier loot area that overlooks it, it's always a good place to get third partied by a team with better gear. Dropping watch tower north is more likely to land you a purple shield than any of the big buildings in cascades, and it leads to better positioning, plus a rotation into artillery which is one of the best loot destiny areas in the game.

Watch tower > artillery tunnel rotation offers 3 buildings, to loot in a high tier loot area, and thirteen supply crates.

My typical gameplan in that area of the map is dropping watch tower north

Cascades is also pretty open as you say, and the water inbetween buildings makes it frustrating if a team mate dies in a different building, as you have to traverse open areas.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole concept of BR is almost completely wasted in Apex. Most clearly shown by 10 teams dropping Skulltown for a free-for-all and circles almost never mattering for anything.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the whole concept of BR is almost completely wasted in Apex. Most clearly shown by 10 teams dropping Skulltown for a free-for-all and circles almost never mattering for anything.

You typically see 3-5 teams in skull town, less if it's far from the dropship. Obviously 10 is in the realm of possibility, but it's not a recurring issue that you see in matches.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Random "stole" a couple of kills I could've gotten, this could've been a 20 bomb with Gibby...

eYyeKUW.jpg

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
You typically see 3-5 teams in skull town, less if it's far from the dropship. Obviously 10 is in the realm of possibility, but it's not a recurring issue that you see in matches.
5 teams is already a quarter of the lobby. My point stands, most people drop to a couple of hot zones, almost everyone dies in the initial free-for-all and the rest of the match is more of a formality where the stragglers try to find each other. And the circles don't matter when you have several minutes to go to the next zone that's 200 meters away, and there's no one to stop you from getting there.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
5 teams is already a quarter of the lobby. My point stands, most people drop to a couple of hot zones, almost everyone dies in the initial free-for-all and the rest of the match is more of a formality where the stragglers try to find each other. And the circles don't matter when you have several minutes to go to the next zone that's 200 meters away, and there's no one to stop you from getting there.

5 teams is the upper end of the range I proposed, and you only see that many when the dropship aligns with its path. Otherwise, it's less common.

There are plenty of other popular areas on the map. Artillery, Bunker, Skulltown, Repulsor, Airbase and the drop ship tend to be the 'hot' locations.

The circles do matter because they centralise the fight and alter the map, forcing different strategies depending on which areas of the map are cut off. No, the circles don't kill you, but being behind the circle or running in late means you sacrifice positioning in the ring.

I don't know what you mean by 'stragglers try to find each other'. I have no issues finding other fights across a wide array of areas of the map. I find it hard to understand how 'the rest of a match is a formality'.

I've played more than 2000 matches and your experience seems worlds apart from mine.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
5 teams is the upper end of the range I proposed, and you only see that many when the dropship aligns with its path. Otherwise, it's less common.

There are plenty of other popular areas on the map. Artillery, Bunker, Skulltown, Repulsor, Airbase and the drop ship tend to be the 'hot' locations.

The circles do matter because they centralise the fight and alter the map, forcing different strategies depending on which areas of the map are cut off. No, the circles don't kill you, but being behind the circle or running in late means you sacrifice positioning in the ring.

I don't know what you mean by 'stragglers try to find each other'. I have no issues finding other fights across a wide array of areas of the map. I find it hard to understand how 'the rest of a match is a formality'.

I've played more than 2000 matches and your experience seems worlds apart from mine.
Have you played many other BR games? Apex is a universe apart from all of them, and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned.

What I mean is that BR as a mode is supposed to be about the circle. Survive to the next circle. That's literally not a factor in Apex so you either get bored to death or run after gunshots trying to rack up kills. That's why I see most of the game as a "formality". You're wasting time in whatever way you see fit until the final showdown.

I still like it for what it is, but I think it could be a much better game if it was either balanced more around being a BR or leaned fully into being its own thing. I just see it as awkward middle ground.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
This is the bug I mentioned (3:44, keep an eye on what he selects and what appears equipped in the lower left)

You can't select Shields while healing anymore. The game switches them back to medkits or syringes once you're done healing. Super annoying.

How can you report bugs to Respawn?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Have you played many other BR games? Apex is a universe apart from all of them, and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned.

What I mean is that BR as a mode is supposed to be about the circle. Survive to the next circle. That's literally not a factor in Apex so you either get bored to death or run after gunshots trying to rack up kills. That's why I see most of the game as a "formality". You're wasting time in whatever way you see fit until the final showdown.

I still like it for what it is, but I think it could be a much better game if it was either balanced more around being a BR or leaned fully into being its own thing. I just see it as awkward middle ground.

Respawn isn't going to make a traditional BR game. It's not their style. Look at Titanfall, for instance. They essentially tried to redefine what a killstreak is -- in COD if you got a lot of kills you'd get an AC 130. In Titanfall you get a giant robot to mow down enemies. There's so many things they've done in Apex that feel like good additions to the BR format - namely, the respawn beacons and ping system. They've made looting and swapping attachments super easy too.

The BR genre is still a relatively new thing in gaming, all things considered. BR has a lot of wiggle room to be iterated on and Respawn took it in one direction that I think is smart.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I get the comment that Apex is not a traditional br. Positioning for a collapse in Apex isn't a huge deal like in Blackout. I mean running in blackout can put you at a huge disadvantage with a horrible collapse. In Apex with mobility being quicker, launch balloons and abilities it isn't as much of a big deal.

Its still a br and does a lot of things great though. I actually wish more BRs took from Firestorm and made being outside the circle insane and basically deadly from the initial collapse.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Decided to start putting some vids up onto my youtube channel again.

Also going to produce some content on what good positioning looks like because I think that's the thing that baffles many players. They simply think of 'high ground' as good positioning. With that said, most players that get killed are just caught out in the open. No cover, no high ground, like, why were you even there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the bug I mentioned (3:44, keep an eye on what he selects and what appears equipped in the lower left)

You can't select Shields while healing anymore. The game switches them back to medkits or syringes once you're done healing. Super annoying.

How can you report bugs to Respawn?

My dude

They haven't fixed bugs that are there since launch, when do you theorically think they'd fix a bug if you'd report it today?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn isn't going to make a traditional BR game. It's not their style. Look at Titanfall, for instance. They essentially tried to redefine what a killstreak is -- in COD if you got a lot of kills you'd get an AC 130. In Titanfall you get a giant robot to mow down enemies. There's so many things they've done in Apex that feel like good additions to the BR format - namely, the respawn beacons and ping system. They've made looting and swapping attachments super easy too.

The BR genre is still a relatively new thing in gaming, all things considered. BR has a lot of wiggle room to be iterated on and Respawn took it in one direction that I think is smart.
Yeah, maybe most people love it and I'm the odd one out.

Tho I wouldn't necessarily say they're not making traditional BR. Besides the beacons (which I think are great and take BR to a good direction) the ruleset is the same. And that's kinda my problem. Maybe some of that stuff should be reconsidered when the gameplay loop and map are so different. Is spreading from a single dropship best? Is a slowly creeping circle best? Are gunfights that can be heard from half a map away best when the the game is already 3rd party central? And so on.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is there any discord server for people playing on PS4? I have lots of fun playing this game but I am also always angry for teaming up with some stupid people. I am not the best shooter but at least I no that teamplay is the most important thing in this game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any discord server for people playing on PS4? I have lots of fun playing this game but I am also always angry for teaming up with some stupid people. I am not the best shooter but at least I no that teamplay is the most important thing in this game.

We have a discord but it's not too active. You can also use the official Apex discord, which is what many of my friends use to find people to play with.

I'll DM you a link to the ERA discord.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so do smokes and caustics gas just eat bullets? or is it respawns top tier hit registration at work? or both?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still enjoying Apex and I play it almost every day but I've definitely reached a point where I could give it a long break if there was another game out there that I really wanted to play. The problem, is that there really isn't anything else on the immediate horizon being released that I'm dying to play. I wish Respawn would drop Titanfall 3 like they did Apex but it'll be years before we see it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'm still enjoying Apex and I play it almost every day but I've definitely reached a point where I could give it a long break if there was another game out there that I really wanted to play. The problem, is that there really isn't anything else on the immediate horizon being released that I'm dying to play. I wish Respawn would drop Titanfall 3 like they did Apex but it'll be years before we see it.

I think that the Season 2 is gonna be a healthy drop; its one of the few times where I care about the announcement of a mobile edition, lol. We already know that they have pretty much the rest of 'this years' characters done, probably the weapons too (even though it's TF stuff they bringing over).

While the main team seems to be focused on QOL, the fact that the mobile game is a major release for em makes me think content will be a priority for em for the second half of the year.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Is this actually such a wide problem that they feel the need to issue bans? I get that it's basically boosting but that happens in every game.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...ends-cheating-piggy-backing-bans-update-patch

A community manager for Apex Legendsyesterday identified a new behavior that can get you a temporary ban: Piggy-backing, which is basically hanging around a squad of good players, doing nothing, and still collecting XP to level up. It's sparked a debate of how Apex Legends rewards XP in the first place.

First, here's what piggy-backing is: "When a player drafts off other players in the squad to carry them to a good position and level up faster but doesn't actually participate in the match [meaning they never collect a weapon, fire a shot, don't deal any damage, etc.]"

Respawn's community manager said the studio has examined telemetry from Apex Legends matches and determined that they'll issue temporary bans "for players that exhibit piggy-backing behavior," with permanent bans possible for extreme cases. As it relates to squadmates, piggy-backing seems to be something that goes on with or without others' help, so it's not like they can be identified or sanctioned as a booster or other cheat assister would.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So I had my best ever moment today. My two random team mates got ambushed near artillery and by the time I got there they were already death boxed. I fought off the 3 guys alone and managed to take them all out. Just as I finished a phoenix another team showed up to 3rd party and I managed to beat all of them too with some well aimed wingman headshots and some ducking and weaving.... So I proceeded to grab my two team mates banners ignoring all the new death boxes so we could share the spoils only for them both to leave just as I get to the respawn beacon. :-(

The very next game I find a golden back pack, but, as I'm lifeline I decide to give it to one of my team mates.... And they both refused it! Both of them ran over to it looked at it and ran away!

I don't mind playing with noobs and generally poor players, but this shit is getting ridiculous.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
So I had my best ever moment today. My two random team mates got ambushed near artillery and by the time I got there they were already death boxed. I fought off the 3 guys alone and managed to take them all out. Just as I finished a phoenix another team showed up to 3rd party and I managed to beat all of them too with some well aimed wingman headshots and some ducking and weaving.... So I proceeded to grab my two team mates banners ignoring all the new death boxes so we could share the spoils only for them both to leave just as I get to the respawn beacon. :-(

The very next game I find a golden back pack, but, as I'm lifeline I decide to give it to one of my team mates.... And they both refused it! Both of them ran over to it looked at it and ran away!

I don't mind playing with noobs and generally poor players, but this shit is getting ridiculous.

Before a few of my squadmates jumped on I had some of the worst matches I've ever played with randoms earlier today. I actually can't play this game anymore with randoms.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sitting at 115 wins for the season now. Not bad! Dunno how some people are approaching 50 wins per character though. Madness.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
To much of my partner's despair, I love Apex Legends so very damn much! I'm playing mostly on PS4, level 154 and 110 on the battle-pass, it's literally my very first Battle Royale game, and honestly the only one I click so well with. I don't see myself playing Fortnite or PUBG at all, but AL was just love at first play, it's just so pleasant and enjoyable and well though-out. I met a lot of cool people playing this game, and enjoyed the social interactions I got out of it.
I'm kinda trying to play on PC more (well mostly when I can't play on PS4 because my partner's using it), but it's a bit tricky to learn all the controls all over again, and I don't have as much people to play with there anyway (and I suck on PC, truly). Anyway, yeah, I didn't see this game coming for me, but I just love it so much and I can't help it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Managed to snag another 14 wins tonight. Sitting around 290 total wins, season 1 wins with 174 of them on Octane. Not interested in the 50 wins per character badges but i am hoping to hit over 5k season 1 kills on Octane before the end of the season.

Gotta' set yourself some sort of goal, else there's nothing to do.

Also improved my win ratio dramatically this season. More recently I'd say we win at least 2/3 of games. Often hitting 5-10 win streaks each night.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started using my switch again and I kinda wish they could somehow bring this to it. I'm not techy so I have no idea if it's possible. Maybe on the rumored updated Switch coming out.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wraiths portal glitch is so dumb and powerful lol
yeah you can drop a bunch or portals or you can use the speed boost that comes along with it to engage other teams

speed boost + wraiths hitbox = hehe

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Just lost a game thanks to the audio bug. As much as I love this game, I have to stop playing for now. Until they fix their shit because to me half of the games are bollocks with the audio bug

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So I proceeded to grab my two team mates banners ignoring all the new death boxes so we could share the spoils only for them both to leave just as I get to the respawn beacon. :-(

I hate it. Or when you grab their banners, they ping a respawn location that you know is full of enemies and when you just walk to the other direction (where there is a safe respawn), they leave.

It really annoys me that so many players appear to not understand that this game is 50% teamwork and 50% actual skill. It's always better to have a noob by your side than a good player that runs 5-10 seconds away from you. I played yesterday with a guy that didnt heal me even though he was by my side for over 10 minutes.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I swear, every time I'm certain I've experienced every possible interaction with randoms, they still manage to surprise the hell out of me. Earlier today had one of those generic 1000+ kills Wraith mains get knocked but not finished in a fight. We clear the squads around and after we do, they disconnect. This was late game and we went on to win.

But this one. This one takes the cake.

https://streamable.com/bb9ze
https://streamable.com/mn1bw

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I swear, every time I'm certain I've experienced every possible interaction with randoms, they still manage to surprise the hell out of me. Earlier today had one of those generic 1000+ kills Wraith mains get knocked but not finished in a fight. We clear the squads around and after we do, they disconnect. This was late game and we went on to win.

Sorry I couldn't help but laugh, what even was that Pathfinder, I can't even.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just had a game where I opened 25 loot bins without finding a single shield cell. 25 ...... Ended up going into the final battle with zero shields.

The loot clusters are real in this game.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

He's playing for survival time XP. That's the 'piggybacking' behaviour that Respawn were talking about.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
He's playing for survival time XP. That's the 'piggybacking' behaviour that Respawn were talking about.

But even then, why is he stupidly staying outside of the ring while he takes damage from it, he could easily move to the ring and keep on piggybacking for a much longer time that way. Unless it's done by individuals who have absolutely no clue how the game is even played to begin with and are just asked to level up no matter what, despite their lack of understanding of basic game mechanics.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
But even then, why is he stupidly staying outside of the ring while he takes damage from it, he could easily move to the ring and keep on piggybacking for a much longer time that way. Unless it's done by individuals who have absolutely no clue how the game is even played to begin with and are just asked to level up no matter what, despite their lack of understanding of basic game mechanics.

You get survival time XP even when you're a deathbox. Just moving so he doesn't get disconnected by the server.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Just played a game with randoms while I waited for my friends to finish a game.

Both teammates were pretty average. At one point they jump down right in between two teams and got themselves sandwiched. I didn't follow and just picked off some of the enemies thirsting them.

In the end, the last two teams I confronted I was able to beat 1v3, with the second one being the very last team. I ended up winning. I couldn't fucking believe that I pulled it off. Feelsgoodman.

R301 and a Triple Take might be my favorite combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.