• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ranked is a hoot.

7 squads left with the final circle closing in on Relay. My friend is the only one left.

He goes to get our death boxes, grabs one and then hears the sounds of looting. He looks up and not 30 feet away theres a fulls squad looting some death boxes. They make eye contact. He fuckin SKEDADDLES away into some buildings. Turns the corner and hides in one of those small (like 6 feet by 12 feet) shacks with the 2 entrances that sometimes have some loot in them.

It was already hilarious he managed to escape and hide but what came after was like 5 minutes of us giggling and shrieking as we saw flashes of people running RIGHT by this structure but no one looking in and finding it. Stressful but hilarious.

He ended up surviving until it was only him and 1 squad. Rushed them to try and clean up from the final fight, downed one but got caustic gasses and that was the end.

Still got 2nd place despite almost being eliminated earlier on.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
anyone else playing on pc have problems with the game freezing? it's pissing me off. No matter at what settings i have it or if everything is on low it keeps freezing.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
That's how it should be in battle royale. Positioning, tactics, shooting, luck with loot, circle shenanigans... unpredictability should be key in a battle royale. Plus it's good to have something for everyone: I've always found it stupid how the "good players" in COD with 4.0 K/D manage to do so because they destroy lobbies with newcomers or medium quality players, very rarely having to compete against people their own skill level.

I'm a big CoD guy and it's always been a bit sad to me how they've never managed to get a decent ranked mode in any of their games up and going. Everytime they try its always launched way after game launch so the games already kinda dead by then or it's poorly implemented/run in general. Still feel like we should have got a f2p seasonal CoD years and years ago though but this is the Apex topic so lol

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Just had 7 connection errors before getting a match. Was the server improvement patch already released?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
So by the last week of the season everyone will need to get four knocks in the pit to complete a weekly challenge? Drops will be nutty that last week if so lol

I've ran into people within pit often? They're is a nice rotation that includes it and the little section of buildings between it and bunker should be labeled gold town. Very often it has gold items and just the other night I found three there.

Pit also had decent loot.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
I've ran into people within pit often? They're is a nice rotation that includes it and the little section of buildings between it and bunker should be labeled gold town. Very often it has gold items and just the other night I found three there.

Pit also had decent loot.
I think I've ran into another team in the Pit (post drop) once in season 2? I'm always pinging to rotate there but teammates will never follow. Don't think people realize they buffed the loot drops in Pit.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I think I've ran into another team in the Pit (post drop) once in season 2? I'm always pinging to rotate there but teammates will never follow. Don't think people realize they buffed the loot drops in Pit.

Yeah season 2 I've had fights outside the Pit but none within. I think I got chased through it by the final team though.. haha

I have a damage challenge in relay and barely anyone lands there when I do. So unless the match ends at relay it's unlikely to get done easily outside a hotdrop.

Good thing I'll have several weeks remaining for that inevitable battle.

Oct 31, 2017
Ranked is a hoot.

7 squads left with the final circle closing in on Relay. My friend is the only one left.

He goes to get our death boxes, grabs one and then hears the sounds of looting. He looks up and not 30 feet away theres a fulls squad looting some death boxes. They make eye contact. He fuckin SKEDADDLES away into some buildings. Turns the corner and hides in one of those small (like 6 feet by 12 feet) shacks with the 2 entrances that sometimes have some loot in them.

It was already hilarious he managed to escape and hide but what came after was like 5 minutes of us giggling and shrieking as we saw flashes of people running RIGHT by this structure but no one looking in and finding it. Stressful but hilarious.

He ended up surviving until it was only him and 1 squad. Rushed them to try and clean up from the final fight, downed one but got caustic gasses and that was the end.

Still got 2nd place despite almost being eliminated earlier on.

Ranked is super fun, and stories like that are a huge part of it. The added intensity and how much more importance it places on valuing your life, while also tactically trying to nab kills, is great I think.

The other day I had a similar game like this where I was the last man from very early on because the match started with just 2 of us in the squad, and my random teammate wound up dying and quitting. So, I decide to try and solo it as far as I can. I literally crouched walked around the map, moving quickly only when absolutely necessary. There were several instance where teams were right by me, and yet due to staying still and crouched, they didn't notice and moved along. It happened several times, and each time I clenched haha and was just waiting for someone to notice me.

The best part was the final rings were collapsing down on Runoff, but right before the tail end of the game, I was stealthing around the small outpost just south of The Pit, overlooking the fields between Bunker & Oasis. I heard a team come up on that location really quickly, and I was caught in a bad place. I happened to glimpse where they were specifically, but they didn't notice me. I then proceeded to crouch right up against the loot bin that's up against that Eastern facing wall at that outpost, hoping desperately that they'd somehow move along and not see me.

This squad literally came up, opened the loot bin I was crouched beside motionless, took the bin's contents and moved right by me without even noticing I was right there.

It was both glorious and hilarious! I went on to snag second, which was satisfying after dodging all of these teams in the run up.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Stupidly Lttp but just had my first round of Apex. 4 or 5 kills and the team worked well.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just as some advice, how long does it take to unlock the other classes, just using game play?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I love the new ranked meta but I'm getting sick of seeing dudes holed up at the top of the cage at Thunderdome with Watson fences surrounding. The circle needs to be more random with its placement. Peeps are getting set up there early and the circle lands there alot.

Spykupp

Aug 22, 2018
I love the new ranked meta but I'm getting sick of seeing dudes holed up at the top of the cage at Thunderdome with Watson fences surrounding. The circle needs to be more random with its placement. Peeps are getting set up there early and the circle lands there alot.

When people are in that cage a cool thing you can do is to balloon onto the mountain behing it then jump on the cage. It gets you on top of the cage silently and you can take them out by surprise.

Oct 31, 2017
Just as some advice, how long does it take to unlock the other classes, just using game play?

It takes 20 base XP levels to earn enough Legend Tokens (12,000) for a single legend. So, roughly however long it takes you to gain 20 levels worth of experience. An experience level is 18,000 xp.

The best way to gain the most experience is by placing, as there's a 900 point XP bonus for 1st, with a smaller XP bonus for finishing top 5.

Killing the champion squad gives 500 xp per champ squad member killed, so that's a solid XP bonus too, but that's more luck/coincidence than anything.

All other in-game actions (kills, revives, damage dealt, respawns) all also give XP, but they aren't really a huge source of the XP you'll earn in a match.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It takes 20 base XP levels to earn enough Legend Tokens (12,000) for a single legend. So, roughly however long it takes you to gain 20 levels worth of experience. An experience level is 18,000 xp.

The best way to gain the most experience is by placing, as there's a 900 point XP bonus for 1st, with a smaller XP bonus for finishing top 5.

Killing the champion squad gives 500 xp per champ squad member killed, so that's a solid XP bonus too, but that's more luck/coincidence than anything.

All other in-game actions (kills, revives, damage dealt, respawns) all also give XP, but they aren't really a huge source of the XP you'll earn in a match.
Hmm, so a good amount of grinding there for the classes. With one or two games done, I think I will see how I progress and go from there. Still learning inventory stuff.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through gold and I'm still getting people who can't even break 100 damage after a 20 min match. Makes me wonder how hard they camped in silver to pad their points lol.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through gold and I'm still getting people who can't even break 100 damage after a 20 min match. Makes me wonder how hard they camped in silver to pad their points lol.
You don't even need to camp. I got 6 points in silver last night after I died immediately and the last guy on my team just hid for the entire match until the top 3. All I had to do was not quit :P

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I seem to be inconsistent. I'm in gold now but I'll have a game with 7 kills and 1000+ damage followed by a game where I can't seem to get a clean shot and die with 87 damage.

At least I'm creaping up the points

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is pro-play on twitch infinitely more interesting to watch now that the amazing players are playing ranked with 59 other amazing players?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Omg. The P20 + Moz with hop ups is my new jam.

Quickly tapping fire on the P20 like it's a modded rifle is amazing.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Nice ending clip from the final fight in a game just now. Bouncepad got me out of a pinch!

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Seems like the freezing was probably tied to color blind mode? Once I turned that off the game no longer freezes and runs great. Sucks though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish the weapon swapping was faster for the P20. Would be the deadliest combo melting shields then finishing them off with the hammer point.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I love this game and especially ranked but the camping gold rank onwards is ultra lame. The final circle(s) is fun but early/mid game is atrocious. Probably the worst in any BR I've played.

I was thinking that it would be cool to be able to level up your character in game like Monarch from Titanfall 2. Supporting your teammates and even surviving and looting would give you XP but kills/damage would give you the most XP. And then you progress up a skill path (that you set in the character customization menu, with 2 MAYBE 3 options per level) that augments your Passives/abilities as you move up the levels. So like Level 2 would be passive, 3 would be tactical, 4 would be cooldown, 5 would be ultimate. Or something like that.

The choices at each level would be like choosing to increase the damage done/stun effect or durability of Wattson's fences, or choosing if pathfinder can see the next two rings or nearby enemies when you use the survey beacons.

Just spitballing.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you, but I'm really glad that this game doesn't have skill trees. I feel like that would super fly in the face of what BRs are about.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two consecutive match I'm in the top 3, aim at a dude from a close up with an assault rifle or something of the sort, hit him for a good second or two but the shots are not doing any damage, so they have the time to turn around, shoot at me as if I was standing still and get me down.

The game's inconsistency in terms of shooting is a bit tiring because these happened after two very prolific and action-packed games where we were melting people otherwise, but then every time a dude came out who was immune to bullets and screwed us :\

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Two consecutive match I'm in the top 3, aim at a dude from a close up with an assault rifle or something of the sort, hit him for a good second or two but the shots are not doing any damage, so they have the time to turn around, shoot at me as if I was standing still and get me down.

The game's inconsistency in terms of shooting is a bit tiring because these happened after two very prolific and action-packed games where we were melting people otherwise, but then every time a dude came out who was immune to bullets and screwed us :\
Yea when that happens I don't even wanna play anymore tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
One of my weekly challenges is to get 10 headshots with the R-301.

Played just now for a little over an hour and no word of a lie did not come across that bastard gun once. Whether looting normally or scavenging deathboxes it's like that gun no longer exists in my games. Absolutely ridiculous.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't even enjoy this all that much anymore. All the balance issues with the horrid tickrate and just kind of boring gameplay have made me not care about it much this season. Cool map. Ranked solos is awful. Their ranking system is awful. And they clearly don't play their own game enough.

More battles than ever are coming down to who has the best loot.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a little dicey with the Kraber / Moz combo. Didn't think it'd work but here we are. Love the hammer point.

Oct 28, 2017
More battles than ever are coming down to who has the best loot.

...and that's supposed to be in a BR?

you expect to easily down an opponent in full purple armor and full kitted weapons using a white armor and a "naked" gun? Maybe in casual pubstomping, but not in ranked.

As we were saying, in ranked mode also aim gods like Shroud have to think twice (at the very least) to engage an enemy if it's not the perfect situation.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm absolutely loving Ranked Gold. Mostly for how random games are now.

I was in a game last night that had 23 people left with nearly the final circle. I could see where 3 teams were and we were randomly popping up and taking shots at each other. When the circle closed in it turned into all out chaos.

I also showed up at skulltown late and the whole place was un-looted!

You'd never get a situation like that in the normal mode, in fact i've seen games that have dropped to 30 people within the first 2 minutes in normal game play.

Normal game mode is so predictable now. Over a 3rd of the lobby will drop hotzone/supply ship/hotzone and wipe each other out. And then the game becomes a cat and mouse game of 3rd partying other teams by constantly running towards the sound of gunfire.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Anyone playing on Xbox feels the audio is messed up after the latest patch? Sometimes when there's a squad around me I only here the footsteps of one. Also taking map zip lines half of the time is muted and there's no sound

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing on Xbox feels the audio is messed up after the latest patch? Sometimes when there's a squad around me I only here the footsteps of one. Also taking map zip lines half of the time is muted and there's no sound

Sounds like Apex Legends alright. Sound issues have plagued a lot of users experiences. I couldn't hear a juiced Octane running in water during one my matches. What saved my ass was managing to catch a glimpse of him out the corner of my screen.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I hate how they considerably lowered the overall volume a couple of updates ago. It was the one that got rid of the awful sound distortion, watching clips from before and after that update shows a clear sound volume difference. It makes Apex quieter then any other game and coupled with my headphones that are very quiet, max volume is not loud enough...

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just reached Gold IV. Thought random teammates would be less dumb at that level. Both games I did on solo queue, I was coupled with stupid thirsty-for-kills teammates who dropped in popular crowded areas, got downed after 2 minutes because of course they do, and rage-quit when they figured out I wasn't gonna pick their banners because that would have been just way too risky to do so in the first place. I mean, I'd rather not camp until top3 but in those kinds of situation, what can I do even. Find more intelligent teammates, I guess, but that seems rare.

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Just reached Gold IV. Thought teammates would be less dumb at that level. Both games I did on solo queue, I was coupled with stupid thirsty-for-kills teammates who dropped in popular crowded areas, who got downed after 2 minutes because of course they do, and rage-quit when they figured out I wasn't gonna pick their banners because that would have been just way too risky to do so in the first place. I mean, I'd rather not camp until gop3 but in those kinds of situation, what can I do even. Find more intelligent teammates, I guess, but that seems rare.

Yup. Solo Queue in Gold is still primarily hot drop/fight chasing folks. It makes the climb significantly slower through Gold than through earlier ranks. Which, in theory, is how it should be... except instead of it slowing because the matches are tougher, it's slowing because of hot drops and chasers.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, sometimes the skill matching does well for me in ranked playing solo and sometimes it's not great at all.

I am now currently working towards Gold I and yesterday I was matched with some seemingly newer players to the game as they were lower XP ranked and Bronze IV's. The two randoms dropped in the new building cluster Containment, and there were several other squads right near by so it was quite a hot drop. We were all pretty much immediately in individual gunfights. I managed to nab a kill and I tried to stick around my two squadmates, but we were soon overwhelmed by squads collapsing in on Containment.

I sensed the heat and then my two teammates were downed. Instead of sticking around and trying to overextend to pick up my down teammates, I bailed because by this point the ring was collapsing, I was hurt with little resources/not strong weapons, and it was still very early game so I didn't want to just take the point hit.

Bailing on the team made them mad, of course, even though tactically/pragmatically it was the right thing to do. The one proceeded to quit (no faith!) and the other stuck around, only to start griefing me with the text-to-chat feature, slurs/insults and then just letter spam to spam a bunch of noise. I didn't mute him, but I should have lol as it actually wound up getting me killed, but I was able to place in the top 5 while getting 3 kills along the way, so the game was a success anyway.

Games like that are probably about 50% of my experience solo-queuing ranked, with the other 50% being actual, solid teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.