• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Hoooooly fucking shit I fucking hate this game. I was just having one of the best matches of my life and then boom. DIS-CON-FUCKING-NECT. OMG IM RAGING!!!! HELP ME!!! WOW WOW WOW!

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I came back to Apex last week I didn't realize all of the best players were playing a new ranked mode at first, so i just thought I was way better at the game all of a sudden. I was so proud of myself, and I played it nonstop all weekend feeling like Keanu in the Matrix or any of his other films. When I finally tried ranked it's like a completely different game. Every time I see a squad now it's just 3 heads peaking over some high ground instead of a bunch of jackasses milling about out in the low ground.

Also, Yeah the disconnects are brutal. I don't get them mid-match like a lot of people for some reason, but 2 out of 3 times I search for a game it disconnects right after it finally finds one.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we could maybe stand to pump the brakes on the whole "players dropping hot in ranked are morons" thing. Yeah, ranked values placement over kills, but people still play this game to have fun, and a lot of people find shooting in first-person to be the most fun part of this first-person game. It might not be in keeping with how you play, or with the prevailing logic about how to rank up, but that doesn't make it explicitly a mistake. It just means they have different values from you.

I totally understand being frustrated with people who split or people who drop the team in the middle of nowhere and then try to fight a geared team right away, stuff that explicitly just puts you at a huge disadvantage and then forces you to take a fight with that disadvantage. But to see some of the posts in this thread, you'd think dropping within a mile of another squad should be a reportable offense.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how they considerably lowered the overall volume a couple of updates ago. It was the one that got rid of the awful sound distortion, watching clips from before and after that update shows a clear sound volume difference. It makes Apex quieter then any other game and coupled with my headphones that are very quiet, max volume is not loud enough...
That's a headphone/amp problem, not a game problem. Higher dynamic range is something I'm all about and your issue can't stop that. Sorry. ;)

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
That's a headphone/amp problem, not a game problem. Higher dynamic range is something I'm all about and your issue can't stop that. Sorry. ;)

It's not a higher dynamic range. They lowered the volume across the board, in addition to the tweaks to footsteps and such. Master Volume within the game settings being the same before and after the patch, post-patch is lower all around. That's not a headphone/amp problem. One can adjust those settings manually just fine, but as someone who plays music and videos while I play in Solo Queue, the change is noticeable and more difficult to find a balance.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a big CoD guy and it's always been a bit sad to me how they've never managed to get a decent ranked mode in any of their games up and going. Everytime they try its always launched way after game launch so the games already kinda dead by then or it's poorly implemented/run in general. Still feel like we should have got a f2p seasonal CoD years and years ago though but this is the Apex topic so lol

Black ops 2 had an almost perfect ranked play system did you miss one of the best cods?

I'm still not sure how I feel about ranked in apex they need to reward kills more. I don't think the 5 kill cap is enough I would like it doubled.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also echo that ranked is super unpredictable and feels fresh. People play differently. Me and my friend both had shit weapons, shit shields as the final circle was coming in. (We both got revived at earlier points but our teamate died in a previous fight, no more respawn beacons)

It was legitimately 3 squads left (Us + 2 others) for like 3 circles. And it's not like people were hiding, there was CONSTANT gunfire being exchanged the entire time. We were the ones hiding hoping we could third party. The final circle ended up starting to close on the size of ONE BUILDING with the 2 squads still duking it out. We were waiting to see more deaths on the kill feed before jumping in.

Unfortunately when we pushed in we were between the circle and a very well placed wattson fences where we couldn't shoot the poles. Went through it and they lit us up. 2nd place with white shields tho!

On another match it ended around the river area with 3 squads duking it out from their relative buildings. Final fight ended up being a 1 v 1 between out wattson and their wraith exchanging shots underneath one of the river buildings. Longest 1 v 1 I've ever seen but our guy won!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel like we could maybe stand to pump the brakes on the whole "players dropping hot in ranked are morons" thing. Yeah, ranked values placement over kills, but people still play this game to have fun, and a lot of people find shooting in first-person to be the most fun part of this first-person game. It might not be in keeping with how you play, or with the prevailing logic about how to rank up, but that doesn't make it explicitly a mistake. It just means they have different values from you.

I'd be right with you with this if there was a solo mode, unfortunately there will be people that either aren't good enough to survive into dropping into skulltown or those that just want to rank up for the rewards so your actions effect the team.

I'm not sure solos would work but the best idea I can think of is the have a 'Aggressive' or 'Cautious' option you can set before you hit the go button for solo queue so you are matched with players that have a similar play style.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I hate how Respawn is telling me how to play if I actually want to rank up.
Yeah, it wouldn't be that bad if the challenges were to actually increase the speed of ranking up, but they increased the XP/points to rank up so drastically you actually need to do those challenges to gain so many ranks. Guess they figured people were ranking up too fast for their taste in the season 1, so they increased the necessary XP but turned it positive by saying "heeeey, now you can rank even faster by doing these cool challenges!". Yeah, right.

I like the challenges, I like how they are implemented in theory and that's how it should be from the beginning, instead of the "don't do anything different, just play as you would and casually gain battle pass ranks" that is boring and doesn't change anything on how you play the game. But the way it is now, it's rather tedious.

anyone else playing on pc have problems with the game freezing?
No, but I have awful soundbugs instead :( after some of the latest patches that causes loud crackling noises with specific voice lines.

is the have a 'Aggressive' or 'Cautious' option you can set before you hit the go button
This is a great idea. Of course people aren't entitled to stick to their choices, but at least you get an idea. Recently my Apex buddy and I were playing with another dude we meat online and at some point we were wondering why he ALWAYS seperated himself, leaving us 2 on 3 after landing. After we confronted him, he said his chances of survival is higher when he's NOT dropping with us and just stay stealthy and wait things out. We told him that's not the way we want to play the game, he told us that's the way he want to play it and then we parted ways. Being too overly cautious isn't our understanding of the game, we want to shoot things because it is a shooter in the end, and such option would make it clear, even with randoms and without voice, what to expect from each other. I find it a great little idea.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I totally understand being frustrated with people who split or people who drop the team in the middle of nowhere and then try to fight a geared team right away, stuff that explicitly just puts you at a huge disadvantage and then forces you to take a fight with that disadvantage. But to see some of the posts in this thread, you'd think dropping within a mile of another squad should be a reportable offense.

I wouldn't say that hot dropping in ranked makes someone a "moron." I'd say it's a bad strategy in a game mode that rewards placement more than getting a ton of kills. I'd go as far as to argue that even if kills were weighted moreso, it's not a particularly efficient strategy because more teams not only means a higher liklihood of your team dying, but even if you're good enough to survive and win some fights, it's a higher likelihood of having your kills taken by others due to the nature of cross fire and close proximity.

I also wouldn't consider dropping somewhere where one or even two other teams land as hot dropping. Hot dropping is specifically choosing spots that 3, 4, 5+ teams are dropping. Like the boosted loot circle at the start of the match or dropping as soon as the timer hits 0 with the 10 other teams that do the same.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, in ranked, the supply ship was been a good drop. We've almost never encountered resistance. At most, one squad.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

If people just want to get kills and don't wanna play with any barely decent teamplay, they can still do all that in unranked.

If people join ranked mode, and even more so if they're in Gold ranked, and are still playing in a way that endangers the entire team's survival in the dumbest ways possible, while at the same time having absolutely poor shit team-oriented gameplay and playing as if they're solo, then I'll shit on them rightfully so, because Gold ranked is NOT the right place to play that way in the slightest. The teammates I was talking about? Poor communication skills, poor reactions to teammates' pings and alerts, just thirsty for kills and playing as if they're soloing, and then when things don't go their way (aka me prioritizing placement over getting their banners), they reacted poorly and insulted me. Those shitheads can stay in Bronze for all I care, that's all they deserve.

I don't mind dropping in a popular place in ranked mode, if I am with a premade team of people communicating well with one another. But if I'm with randoms that I don't know in the slightest, thus don't know how they fare soft skills wise? That's a huge gamble that can cost me a lot. So yeah I'd rather avoid those populated places at all cost at first, that is until I can assess their soft skills levels enough to feel confident they won't fuck it up in the most senseless ways possible.

Ranked mode forces people to change the way they play this game from normal mode. If they don't wanna adapt and keep on playing as if the meta isn't changed in the slightest, fair enough. But I will play accordingly and not put my own survival at stake in order to save them.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Hot dropping in ranked (3+ teams to a confined location) is just tactically a bad idea for any tier above Silver due to the cost of RP for entry & cap for bonus kill RP set to 5. And for people who do have a preference for high-speed, continual action, those people should just stay in the regular Apex queue and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that preference or wanting to enjoy a more frantic/action-oriented game in Apex. The more dispersed, slower paced nature of Ranked is in large part because of the 5 kill limit for kill-based RP and I personally think it's a good thing for the game, overall.

^^ The dropship in ranked can definitely be quite the good spot to land if its initial location and flight pattern are solid. Landing on one free of conflict, gearing up and hopefully getting at least one set of Level 3+ armor, then riding the ship across the map (or to a location that makes strategic sense to jump) can give great odds to placing well in Ranked.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I took a break from ranked for a few days. There aren't enough people in plat at the moment. The matches I was getting were a mix of plat and diamond, and I was matched into the same lobby 3 or 4 times in a row.

Every match I played had TTV JaywillSlay in it, a twitch streamer and a diamond 1 player. I'm plat 4, how is that fair? Jay plays the game for 18 hours a day, and has over 45,000 kills.

I don't have a problem playing with folks like that, but he's so far removed from my rank that it just suggests that there aren't enough people to facilitate the ranking system right now.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Silver is a pretty nice spot for a more casual players to be. One good game offsets a lot of duds (since at worst you only lose 1 point), so you still end up ranking up a decent clip. Not really looking forward to gold, TBH.

Oct 31, 2017
I took a break from ranked for a few days. There aren't enough people in plat at the moment. The matches I was getting were a mix of plat and diamond, and I was matched into the same lobby 3 or 4 times in a row.

Every match I played had TTV JaywillSlay in it, a twitch streamer and a diamond 1 player. I'm plat 4, how is that fair? Jay plays the game for 18 hours a day, and has over 45,000 kills.

I don't have a problem playing with folks like that, but he's so far removed from my rank that it just suggests that there aren't enough people to facilitate the ranking system right now.

A result of starting everyone at 0, rather than doing placements. I quite like the idea of everyone climbing ranked, ladder-style from the bottom; but your point is also the very real problem of climbing faster than others, due to both skill and time invested.

I think that by the end of the Season, the skill shakeout of the different tiers will be a pretty accurate distribution of skills. But I imagine that getting to that end-point could be quite annoying in many points for players who climb quickly, such as yourself.

Silver is a pretty nice spot for a more casual players to be. One good game offsets a lot of duds (since at worst you only lose 1 point), so you still end up ranking up a decent clip. Not really looking forward to gold, TBH.

Gold is definitely a noticeable difference in the intensity of games. Losing 2 points for every game you don't get a kill and finish outside the top 10 can be rough. And a large percentage of games can be very slow incremental gains or just pushes (0). I imagine that Plat & up will need some serious effort in order to make genuine, regular progress.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Good players are in Platinum/Diamond/Predator now, so Gold is considerably more manageable. Last match I played had one random teammate run off late game and die to the storm while the other couldn't win a 1vs1 at the very end, when they had the high ground...

Still got to Plat after that, but it's time for another break from ranked now, until more players get to Platinum.

It's not a higher dynamic range. They lowered the volume across the board, in addition to the tweaks to footsteps and such. Master Volume within the game settings being the same before and after the patch, post-patch is lower all around. That's not a headphone/amp problem. One can adjust those settings manually just fine, but as someone who plays music and videos while I play in Solo Queue, the change is noticeable and more difficult to find a balance.

Exactly. An amp would for sure help with the headphones I'm using, but Apex is considerably more quiet then it was and quieter then other games.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got my first win...well, kind of. Down to 2 squads, got downed and my teammate carried us haha.

Feels good. Its amazing how important a good squad is and a well-chosen drop site.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
I hear ya, Silver is definitely my sweet spot. My teammates are competent enough to be dependable, but I'm not totally outclassed by TTVWraithMain69 who can just shit all over me in 1v1 scenarios. Plus the flow of the games seem perfect to me. Plenty of action and movement, but less messy hot drops into five other teams.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wishes the ranking would reward individual skill just a little bit more. Something like damage done or successful respawns. I just find the slow play so boring but you kinda have to in the higher tiers if you don't wanna go negative.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am trying to play Lifeline as much as possible because I love being support. Really annoying when someone picks instead haha.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
...and that's supposed to be in a BR?

you expect to easily down an opponent in full purple armor and full kitted weapons using a white armor and a "naked" gun? Maybe in casual pubstomping, but not in ranked.

As we were saying, in ranked mode also aim gods like Shroud have to think twice (at the very least) to engage an enemy if it's not the perfect situation.
That is not the point. Loot tables are trash. Battles are often one-sided for no good reason other than bad loot tables. Tickrate is trash as well. Comp shooter this game is not.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
That is not the point. Loot tables are trash. Battles are often one-sided for no good reason other than bad loot tables. Tickrate is trash as well. Comp shooter this game is not.

I keep seeing this but don't agree.. sure I get annoyed when I roll through three bins and a building with no weapon but it's not like that's every match. That just br and rng. You can't have every bin with something, cause then everyone will end up with powerful items from the abundance of loot. There has got to be garbage bins and buildings. So many times you just need to bail on a location if others are around and you have nothing. It can work out.

I keep getting damage but no kills. It's like I'm doing all the work for a teammate to clean up! So having damage give some points is sounding better at the moment! It would definitely need tiered and capped though.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I was solo since my squad dropped out shortly after landing. Me versus the final (full) squad outside Bunker. They were looting the deathboxes of the squad the "y had just wiped. All in a group, with the circle closing in in them. I lit them up with my Devotion and triple killed them in the storm for the win.

TLDR; don't loot late in the game

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Can you fall down a color rank? I'm silver 2 now and will probably get to gold soon. If I lose my first 3 games right away in gold, will it put be back to Silver 1?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I really want kill cam as one of my most requested features. Or maybe a way of being able to go back to previous games and look from other people's perspectives.

Apparently I can be shot with pin point accuracy with a hemlock while both in smoke and invisible with Mirages Ult.

This game brings so many moments that I instantly think is hacks but is probably just some kid getting incredibly lucky.

Last edited:

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Challenge: Get two sniper rifle kills in a single match"

Kraber is not a sniper rifle apparently.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Made it to Plat and I think I'm done with ranked unless they make some changes to the point system, it just doesn't fit my play style and I find myself having more fun in the regular queue.

Also the Bangalore skin can be claimed on Twitch now for those who are interested.

Vastly

Jul 10, 2019
USA
I love this game and I feel like season 2 is really cool BUT I think it needs more content. I played it hardcore for a couple of months but I got a bit bored because there is only one game mode. I think if they had a solos mode and one other unique Apex mode then it would be a lot better because you could go play a different gametype when you get bored. I like that they have ranked quite a bit but they need more unique game modes IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I keep seeing this but don't agree.. sure I get annoyed when I roll through three bins and a building with no weapon but it's not like that's every match. That just br and rng. You can't have every bin with something, cause then everyone will end up with powerful items from the abundance of loot. There has got to be garbage bins and buildings. So many times you just need to bail on a location if others are around and you have nothing. It can work out.

I keep getting damage but no kills. It's like I'm doing all the work for a teammate to clean up! So having damage give some points is sounding better at the moment! It would definitely need tiered and capped though.
Nah man. The energy mags and what not have totally interfered with loot progress. You keep seeing this because most people agree it's lame as is. I can end up last 5 squads without a blue mag on two weapons lol. Nah. That's trash. It didn't used to consistently be like this.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Nah man. The energy mags and what not have totally interfered with loot progress. You keep seeing this because most people agree it's lame as is. I can end up last 5 squads without a blue mag on two weapons lol. Nah. That's trash. It didn't used to consistently be like this.
Either adapt to what you do pick up, figure out loot prioritizing or get in some action and loot the bodies in your wake.

The entitlement of it all.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely feels harder to assemble exactly the kit you want every game, which is great. Before, it was too easy to pick your loadout irrespective of what the map was actually offering. Now you have to make choices and adjust.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Uh what happened to ranked? I haven't played since last weekend (silver 2) and just played 4 straight matches where my teammates solo dropped to different areas?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Uh what happened to ranked? I haven't played since last weekend (silver 2) and just played 4 straight matches where my teammates solo dropped to different areas?
everyone started at the same rank. the more time that passes, the more people are gonna land where they belong. that means that, this early in the season, one week makes an enormous difference re: the quality of players at lower ranks

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
This is crazy and goes to show how it's a "small world". I just played a game with 2 randoms in ranked mode. I got to chatting with one of the dudes and his voice sounded familiar. We ended up figuring out that we used to play Overwatch comp together on my other ALT account like 2 years ago. GOOD SHIT. Just re-friended him on my new account and now we are gonna grind ranked in Apex.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
If your respawn times out I'm guessing you need to stay and watch placement to get the points?

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Either adapt to what you do pick up, figure out loot prioritizing or get in some action and loot the bodies in your wake.

The entitlement of it all.
The fuck lol? Entitlement? I don't give a fuck what this game does. If it gets worse or more pointless I'll not play it. The only reason why I play it is because BF sucks more or less.

Apex has had major issues ever since its release. They are obviously going to tweak things as people have been complaining not stop since release about various things including their awful netcode.

I have no idea what the fuck you are on talking about entitlement.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game is on the verge of a pretty decent breakthrough. Devs Im sure are working hard and is hard to push them when crunch culture is bad for the industry.

I jumped into Fortnite and that game has had insane growth since Season 1. Im hoping Season 3-4 is when this game really starts expanding into new frontiers:

-New map. Leaks look promising, really hope we see something slightly bigger than the current map.
-Major changes to the current map-- new assets, buildings, entire sections reworked. So many reused assets with the buildings and the entire river section which feels repetitive.
-A faster rate of heroes. I dont mind the current pacing though.
-Better cosmetics.
-New modes, especially a Solo mode. Would really freshen up the game if you could fly around the map getting kills and not worrying about revives or getting anchored by teammates. I think this is also a really important mode to see more streamers get engaged as many dont like solo queuing in squad modes

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Solo Queue is the thing I want most. If I don't have teammates I can't drag them down by being this bad!

I'm not convinced though that the game will ever get a Solo Queue.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
And I get it too, but Squads are by far my least favourite aspect of the game so this will definitely be what eventually makes me quit for good.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm not expecting solo queue to pop anytime soon. I'm expecting people to realize sooner or later that this is a teamplay-based game and adapt accordingly, or go back to wherever the hell they can solo stuff out without bothering others about it. I'm too hopeful here, I know. Being in a squad is part of what I love most about this game, this is perfect for me.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy and goes to show how it's a "small world". I just played a game with 2 randoms in ranked mode. I got to chatting with one of the dudes and his voice sounded familiar. We ended up figuring out that we used to play Overwatch comp together on my other ALT account like 2 years ago. GOOD SHIT. Just re-friended him on my new account and now we are gonna grind ranked in Apex.
Jesus. This is like a 1 in a million chance or something lol.

First.... You had to be talking on mics, then you had to be on the same team, then you had to be playing at the same time, then you had to queue up at the same. The chances! Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.