• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
They could always balance solos by introducing a legend with no abilities. Like Recruit from R6 Siege. Everyone plays as him in solos.

Sounds fair to me. A lot of the legend abilities depend on having a team.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Solo mode is not for me because I panic when I'm the last one left haha.

Example 1: last 2 squads, I'm providing sniper support while my teammates go in. We get 2 but their last guy takes out my teammates. I start whiffing all my shots and we lose.

Example 2: I show up late into a building with one person on each squad down. We rush in and my teammate gets downed. I knock the other two down and finish one. I'm wondering why the squad isn't wiped while finishing off the second guy when I get killed. Third party? Nope, the one downed before self revived. I totally forgot his golden shield when rushing in.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Solo mode is not for me because I panic when I'm the last one left haha.

Example 1: last 2 squads, I'm providing sniper support while my teammates go in. We get 2 but their last guy takes out my teammates. I start whiffing all my shots and we lose.

Example 2: I show up late into a building with one person on each squad down. We rush in and my teammate gets downed. I knock the other two down and finish one. I'm wondering why the squad isn't wiped while finishing off the second guy when I get killed. Third party? Nope, the one downed before self revived. I totally forgot his golden shield when rushing in.

Solo mode will help with the panic. After a while, you won't feel it the same way when in a high pressure situation.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Solo mode will help with the panic. After a while, you won't feel it the same way when in a high pressure situation.

That's wishful thinking though, some people will always panic or choke, that's just in their nature, it's the way it is. They can try and soften it, but it'll always be there. Either way they don't necessarily need to push themselves towards such playstyle if they know it doesn't fit them to begin with, and that they won't have pleasure playing the game this way.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
That's wishful thinking though, some people will always panic or choke, that's just in their nature, it's the way it is. They can try and soften it, but it'll always be there. Either way they don't necessarily need to push themselves towards such playstyle if they know it doesn't fit them to begin with, that they won't have pleasure playing the game this way.

I disagree. I also don't inherently connect "panic" with "choke" and honestly "choking" is a terrible way to classify not pulling off a difficult task. Time and experience in pretty much anything tends to result in calmer nerves over time (excluding things like phobias).

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I disagree. I also don't inherently connect "panic" with "choke" and honestly "choking" is a terrible way to classify not pulling off a difficult task. Time and experience in pretty much anything tends to result in calmer nerves over time (excluding things like phobias).

Honestly I still disagree. I sunk I don't know how many tons of hours into Apex, as well as many online games before in, my life, and my ability to not panic has never shown much growth over the years. People are different, we're wired differently, and we don't have the same progression speed, nor the same thresholds. I've personally accepted that and play accordingly, rather than force myself to play in a frustrating way that will seldom give me any satisfying payback even after 500 hours of gameplay. I'll never become a PGM and that's alright, I don't plan to anyway.

Last edited:

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Told you guys theyd do a solo mode. It's a huge chunk of a playerbase that is missing.

They need to dedicate resources into a proper solo mode because it's going to be silly and unbalanced with the Legends, but it's going to feel very fun to not worry about teammates

And as in all other BRs it will be the least played mode. Especially this one when no extra effort is put into it or should be at this point. Use the extra resources for either new content or a new map.

I'd think a bigger success would be a new map that is larger and that allows quads, triples and have Kings canyon as triples and duos.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the BP is designed specifically for player retention. And I find it incredibly hard to believe that you all would be done with this Season's BP by now if it were just like S1. I play regularly, almost every day, but not an extreme amount. Maybe 2, 3 hours tops a day, and I'm at level 63 or something in the BP I think and we aren't even to the halfway point in the season. Granted, I've also done most of my weekly challenges by now, and I've knocked out the weekly resetting ones each week so far (5 & 10 Dailies).

In season 1, it took me about all season long to make it to 110. I hit 110 about ~2 weeks before the end of last season. This season I'm going to easily get to 110, no problem.

I have a friend who I play with whose time to game is far more limited than mine and he almost never plays on weekends, and he's said that this season's structure, so far, has worked far better for him, that he's gained a lot more levels than he had in S1, since it's not limited to simply total in game survival time/high placements.

It was also only 29,500 xp to level up and with the multiplier you could get 8-10k per match depending on how deep into the game you went. It was fairly easy to get a level an hour if you kept at it. I'm pretty sure I gained 60 levels the first three weeks and then, because I had been playing a lot, took a break until basically the end when that dub xp and event happened to get up to finish it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wrote an article about Apex's ranked mode recently, published today.

Ive been saying this since like week 1! But totally agree and nice write up. The incentive to just camp and hide is way too high (and goes against what made this a unique br experience in the first place imo) and the loot is fucking god awful. Its not fun for me to drop and find a purple armor right away and then just get to have a free wipe of anyone else that landed in my area because theyre forced to pick up whites and p2020s. This part is so god damn accurate

Also, it's not uncommon that you can run through several buildings and loot caches, without finding a gun and or body shield. Meanwhile somewhere else on the map, someone will find a purple body shield and a decent gun, right as they drop. This disparity has more of an impact in Apex Legendsthan it does in other battle royale games, as the time to kill is considerable here. Having extra shielding or a gun that kills almost twice as fast, is going to make more of a difference than the weapon distribution does in a game like Call of Duty Blackout, where almost every weapon is likely to be lethal with good positioning and reaction time.

Good stuff tho. Hoping they wake up to these issues.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite is when I open a pill box and there are two level 1 sights in there, great feeling when I guy is around the corner.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Solo players will Want to play the smooth Apex gameplay with unlimited freedom to move around and not be held down by a downed teammate or a random. People dont want to get third partied or deal with 1v3s

all of that is what solo benefits from. Im sure it will be a hit, but it needs some proper balancing for sure

I think this is why they are doing it as a 2 week launch initially.

I won't be surprised to see some changes to abilities and/or some sort of limited self revive mechanic. Otherwise you end up with literally useless things such as Mirage's passive and knock down shields.

It is a tough call for Respawn. Either they change abilities and items in solo, which may get confusing.

Or they keep everything the same and accept there will be balance issues.

I am curious to see how Solo's plays out. I have faith in Respawn finding a way to make it work, but the first 2 week event may not be perfect.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Ok but The Iron Crown skins are looking hella dope so far!

Although if the challenge to win them is to arrive 1st in a solo game, then woopdidoo there goes my luck (yeah I'm not expecting to win any match in solo mode, I gotta be real, this is gonna be the playing field of those having the 20 kills icons & 5+k kills, not mine).

However, I caught a glimpse of a cool Lifeline skin and I need to know more about it because god knows I need a Lifeline skin that finally doesn't look like ass, @Respawn please enlighten me and make me happy please!

YFC8z1a.png

Hope it's part of the rewards, in which case watch me sink my life into Apex again, my main girl finally getting the chance to have a dope skin after being ignored by Respawn for months, fuck yeah!

These skins will most likely be shop exclusives and cost $20 lol I might have to bite the bullet and get that Pathfinder tho.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
These skins will most likely be shop exclusives and cost $20 lol I might have to bite the bullet and get that Pathfinder tho.

Well if your theory is true, that's gonna be you and me fam:

QWmWaIF.gif

I've been waiting for so long for a decent & lovely Lifeline skin, I swear I'm probably just gonna cave in. Well played Respawn, well played.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I have enough coins for one skin, I'll have to make a tough decision between finally getting a Legendary for Lifeline or getting a fourth Legendary for Pathfinder, because that white one looks so awesome. :/

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think third partying can't happen in solos? It's almost easier to do since you know you are only facing one other person that's most likely banged up. Honestly so much less risk to jump in a battle in solo or snipe from a distance to finish them off.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They could always balance solos by introducing a legend with no abilities. Like Recruit from R6 Siege. Everyone plays as him in solos.

Sounds fair to me. A lot of the legend abilities depend on having a team.

I don't think that makes a lot of sense. In bigger fights it's actually helpful to have people with different characters and skins, it helps you keep track of who is who, and how much damage you've dealt to them.

Also, as a free to play game that's focused on MTX. Everything needs to funnel players back towards that cosmetic MTX. Losing the characters and their aesthetics would disincentivise people to buy MTX.

Further, it's just boring to have everyone playing as the same guy. The characters, with their unique aesthetics and voice lines bring a lot of personality to the game.

Why do people think third partying can't happen in solos? It's almost easier to do since you know you are only facing one other person that's most likely banged up. Honestly so much less risk to jump in a battle in solo or snipe from a distance to finish them off.

I don't know if I've heard folks say this but I think third partying is a lot more common in solos than in teams. If you land somewhere, like airbase ,there's often going to be two teams in the vicinity, so you fight, and there's a good chance you won't be interupted.

But if you land at airbase in solos, there's going to be 4-6 people there instead, so as soon as you start shooting one guy, up to 4 other players are going to have their attention drawn over to you.

Moreover, the impact of a third party is far more severe in solos. If you're in teams and one of you gets shot in the back, there's still a chance for your team to stay in the game, killing those guys and reviving you. In solos, you're just out.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped on for a few games and can already tell how my games are gonna go tonight. First game couldnt draw my gun for some reason and had to just walk around get shot. Second game crashed. Third game both squad mates dropped solo to skull Town.

4th game no squad mates. Lol I remember when this game was good. Game 5 went well but then in game 6 it decided I wasn't allowed to walk through a door that was open and died then my teammates didn't bother taking my banner.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love this game sometimes. On a roll, two consecutive ranked matches with randoms where I am fighting hard in the final circle after many kills, only to be killed by a silent footstep enemy in the first match and by an enemy shooting through a wall in the second.

Neodyn

Mar 23, 2019
Is there some sort of loot biasing in this game? One of my weeklies was loot three gold armors and in my first four games of the week I found one within 30 seconds of dropping three times. I don't think I've had that happen even five times since the game released.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I think my ratio of good game to bad game in this is like 1 to 10 these days. And by good game I just mean, finding a gun and OK armour and getting to actually shoot at someone.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my ratio of good game to bad game in this is like 1 to 10 these days. And by good game I just mean, finding a gun and OK armour and getting to actually shoot at someone.

It alternates being an absolute shitfest where none of the shots go anywhere near where I aim 'em, with teammates doing literally nothing and enemies using exploits, to fantastic matches where everything feels right and I get a billion kills. It's absurd, really. Some days I need like 20 matches to find a somewhat decent one, others I gladly do 3 consecutive awesome matches where I am nearly unstoppable. It makes no sense, I have no such swings in any other shooter, but I'm supposed to believe it's a matter of aim and skill only if in the span of 5 minutes I go from a match where I killed like 5 people with a sniper, to one where I shoot a dozen bullets with the sniper at an enemy and none hit, despite the reticle being on the right spot nearly every time. This game is godlike when it works, but holy shit it's frustrating when the netcode and the servers shit themselves making every shootout a pain in the ass. Especially considering the silent footsteps, the shotguns shooting through walls or the voice-to-chat locking up the game (at least this can be deactivated) are still there since February.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game straight up changed all my sensitivities. Shit feels all weird.

Awesome.

Am I going crazy or is this lag

Or did the game glitch and just completely fuck up my settings

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

If you're having a hard time getting going just land alone.

This heatmap for season 2 unranked drops might help you figure out some of the safer spaces. Personally I like dropping into 'river centre' then pushing into bunker.

9t0dFqg.png

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to play some unranked after being in diamond and talk about the easiest wins ever. Holy shit.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Game is honestly just becoming cancer in Diamond and around there. Endless camp. People in the party don't even want to play the game anymore. It's just tune out, IF YOU CAN, to your PC or phone while the other guy camps for placement. I've never seen a game neutered so badly from what it was. Apex is garbage at this point if you ask me. Bugs everywhere. Code leaf all the time. Now we gettin' fucking out of bounce bugs lol when we land.

Communities on PS4 nearly dead on a Saturday night. You can tell the player base is thinning. No doubt solos is panic mode to inject players. It will probably work I would say at this point cuz yeah what they have here is not working. Rank done fucked this game up hard.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Solo players will Want to play the smooth Apex gameplay with unlimited freedom to move around and not be held down by a downed teammate or a random. People dont want to get third partied or deal with 1v3s

all of that is what solo benefits from. Im sure it will be a hit, but it needs some proper balancing for sure

It's gonna be huge from what I am seeing. So many dudes I know used to play this endlessly and hell were better players than me. They hate ranked. Some of course love ranked and the comp it provide. But what kind of comp is it really? Just RNG bullshit camp if you ask me. I've never played a game where I felt so ridiculously at the mercy of RNG. But hey it is what it is.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was quite an adrenaline rush. If the last team had only one less person I would have got away with it, scoring 8 kills, 3 revives and 1 banner save in like 5 minutes. So close, but wow.

What I'm baffled about is that the game worked fine, which it often does, but then the next match I die with 0 damage done because I keep shooting at somebody and I can't hit a single bullet for some reason. So damn inconsistent.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

That was quite an adrenaline rush. If the last team had only one less person I would have got away with it, scoring 8 kills, 3 revives and 1 banner save in like 5 minutes. So close, but wow.

What I'm baffled about is that the game worked fine, which it often does, but then the next match I die with 0 damage done because I keep shooting at somebody and I can't hit a single bullet for some reason. So damn inconsistent.

Wow that was sweaty indeed! Also, damn, first time hearing the Italian voices, this feels so weird. I haven't even heart the French ones, cause I like the English ones so much I don't wanna switch and be disappointed by them, like I know I will.

Last edited:

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I've been getting a weird audio bug the last few days of playing. When I launch from the ship and then angle myself to fall down, all audio cuts out. I can still hear pings and stuff, but there's no wind audio or jetpack audio as I fall, and some times it progresses into the match until I open a door or loot box.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the worst thing in this game is all the thirsty fucks in unranked who continue shooting at you even whole they're under fire from 4 people. They finish you off then die immediately. Fucking irritating as they achieved nothing.

Between hackers, appalling loot distribution, bad squad mates, lag and bad hit detection I'm close to done with this game. It's starting to feel like what I do as a player doesn't actually matter in this game any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Perhaps the worst thing in this game is all the thirsty fucks in unranked who continue shooting at you even whole they're under fire from 4 people. They finish you off then die immediately. Fucking irritating as they achieved nothing.

Actually, I sadly get that, and I noticed it happening more often as well, and it's called: caring for challenges more than anything else. And I sometimes have to do that, especially if I know I have 4 people on me and my whole team is dead, I'll die. So might as well die taking away that kill I need for that challenge.

If people are more thirsty than before, look no further than challenges making them be thirsty as hell, honestly.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Between hackers, appalling loot distribution, bad squad mates, lag and bad hit detection I'm close to done with this game. It's starting to feel like what I do as a player doesn't actually matter in this game any more.

Apex Legends really enforces that the only stats that matter are wins and kills.

Even though it's a poor tactical move, I can understand why players push for the kill after a knockdown.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got 54k XP for another battle pass level, got level 78 on it now. This is another problem with the battle pass system: now I don't think I should play because I am extremely unlikely to get another 54k before the reset. It's even worse if I happen to pop a 6k point challenge which will get "wasted".

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So I just got 54k XP for another battle pass level, got level 78 on it now. This is another problem with the battle pass system: now I don't think I should play because I am extremely unlikely to get another 54k before the reset. It's even worse if I happen to pop a 6k point challenge which will get "wasted".
Yeah, they really need some sort of rollover if they're going to reset, losing a 6k challenge or two is the absolute worst.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love the audio still being completely broken and having full teams right on top of you with no sound what so ever

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Done with the game tonight and only had one good game out of the many I played today. I made the top 2 but got out gunned because everyone on the other team had LMGs. How can I compete against that

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
I don't think it's just the challenges, it's a side effect of ranked. In ranked it's often more beneficial to just outright kill a downed player because it immediately removes a potential obstacle off the board. In a mode where if you don't break even you backslide ppl are less likely to take chances. They're just taking it back to unranked now because it well works.

Only way around this is being even more careful with how you engage and being better about disengaging.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that was sweaty indeed! Also, damn, first time hearing the Italian voices, this feels so weird. I haven't even heart the French ones, cause I like the English ones so much I don't wanna switch and be disappointed by them, like I know I will.

It does annoy me a bit because I have to switch the console's language to get back to English, which demands a full reboot. Since I also review games and some games I'm very much used to Italian, I would not want to do that permanently, but Apex's characters "stupid" talk (which I like, mind, but really isn't that important at the end of the day) is just not worth the hassle. In general it's a solid dub, bar the fact they can't pronounce English stuff for shit.

Peacekeeper sounds like pisskeeper on some characters
Hop-up is constantly called owpup because Italians have silent Hs

Most voices are good enough but there's undeniable Italianness behind, hah.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
It does annoy me a bit because I have to switch the console's language to get back to English, which demands a full reboot. Since I also review games and some games I'm very much used to Italian, I would not want to do that permanently, but Apex's characters "stupid" talk (which I like, mind, but really isn't that important at the end of the day) is just not worth the hassle. In general it's a solid dub, bar the fact they can't pronounce English stuff for shit.

Peacekeeper sounds like pisskeeper on some characters
Hop-up is constantly called owpup because Italians have silent Hs

Most voices are good enough but there's undeniable Italianness behind, hah.

They've listed the ability to switch VO as a possible future QOL update on their Trello: https://trello.com/b/ZVrHV38P/apex-tracker

Some other nice features listed as upcoming there, too.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, when is Respawn gonna throw in proper penalties for leavers? Most people in ranked randoms quits seconds after being downed.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
You all seem to find the worst in randoms. I barely have the issues experienced.

You sure you all not raging out on them in the mic causing it? A chunk of my friends list is randoms.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You all seem to find the worst in randoms. I barely have the issues experienced.

You sure you all not raging out on them in the mic causing it? A chunk of my friends list is randoms.

I rarely even use the mic, only when the teammates aren't loud as fuck and sound polite. I never insulted anyone, text or voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.