• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
You all seem to find the worst in randoms. I barely have the issues experienced.

You sure you all not raging out on them in the mic causing it? A chunk of my friends list is randoms.

More than two thirds of my friendlist is made up of randoms I met in Apex, and just today I met and friended two Norwegian guys because they were chill and lovely to play with. So yeah, there have been plenty of amazing surprises socially in this game for me, but damn, when this isn't your day, this really isn't.

When I get playing sessions full of noisy annoying kids with open mic and TV on the side, noobies that started to play two hours ago and don't listen to my advices, people that quit on me as soon as they're downed and sometimes insult me on their way out, or even when I'm the third wheel of a duo that is obviously communicating in a vocal party without me (thus they can't even hear me and I feel left out because they often barely communicate with pings either), well this truly can ruin my mood. It's a gamble to play solo queue in this game, and sometimes it pays off, but it often doesn't at all either.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, when is Respawn gonna throw in proper penalties for leavers? Most people in ranked randoms quits seconds after being downed.
Too many people, even here, would complain because they're part of the problem so it wont get fixed. instead the people who dont put themselves in bad situations to get finished have to be the ones that suffer when these people leave early.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many people, even here, would complain because they're part of the problem so it wont get fixed. instead the people who dont put themselves in bad situations to get finished have to be the ones that suffer when these people leave early.

It annoys me that over 6 months into the game's life there are still no proper punishments for toxic behaviour, or at least Respawn is showing no sign of caring right now. They briefly introduced temporary bans but they reverted it, I don't think that came back in some form? A player like that might be a in good match 2 minutes later getting 6 kills and a top 3, in the meantime I had to either get buttfucked in a 1v3 or hide my ass until the last circle to scavenge the most boring top 3-5 to make sure my effort wasn't wasted and I was not demoted in a practically impossible match (I've won my fair share of matches finishing solo but against a good team it's practically impossible). Them only losing the entry points is baffling because there's nothing really stopping them. And that goes for all other toxic behaviour, too, which Respawn isn't seemingly taking a stance on.

In Call Of Duty or Rocket League I can find another match in a matter of seconds if the one I'm playing now is a shitshow. At worst it's another couple minutes of pain. But here I might have to endure 20+ minutes of all odds against me while the quitters may be already enjoying their next match. At the very least they should not be able to join a match until the one they quit is not over, because it's bullshit that I'm left behind to rot while they're free to gain score elsewhere. But unfortunately Fortnite leads the way: join a match, follow your objective, quit when you're done with it. Rinse and repeat. A huge chunk of the community wants this, Respawn is happy to keep such players entertained, so I guess it's my job to find a competent team that is on whenever I am or adapt to the fact the game rewards toxic people more than honest players.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It annoys me that over 6 months into the game's life there are still no proper punishments for toxic behaviour, or at least Respawn is showing no sign of caring right now. They briefly introduced temporary bans but they reverted it, I don't think that came back in some form? A player like that might be a in good match 2 minutes later getting 6 kills and a top 3, in the meantime I had to either get buttfucked in a 1v3 or hide my ass until the last circle to scavenge the most boring top 3-5 to make sure my effort wasn't wasted and I was not demoted in a practically impossible match (I've won my fair share of matches finishing solo but against a good team it's practically impossible). Them only losing the entry points is baffling because there's nothing really stopping them. And that goes for all other toxic behaviour, too, which Respawn isn't seemingly taking a stance on.

In Call Of Duty or Rocket League I can find another match in a matter of seconds if the one I'm playing now is a shitshow. At worst it's another couple minutes of pain. But here I might have to endure 20+ minutes of all odds against me while the quitters may be already enjoying their next match. At the very least they should not be able to join a match until the one they quit is not over, because it's bullshit that I'm left behind to rot while they're free to gain score elsewhere. But unfortunately Fortnite leads the way: join a match, follow your objective, quit when you're done with it. Rinse and repeat. A huge chunk of the community wants this, Respawn is happy to keep such players entertained, so I guess it's my job to find a competent team that is on whenever I am or adapt to the fact the game rewards toxic people more than honest players.
I entirely agree. And just for reference, I cant even just up and quit quickplay in overwatch without some sort of penalty effecting my progress or banning me from starting up another game right away. Its insane they made a team based game with no punishments for screwing your team over.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I entirely agree. And just for reference, I cant even just up and quit quickplay in overwatch without some sort of penalty effecting my progress or banning me from starting up another game right away. Its insane they made a team based game with no punishments for screwing your team over.

The game is even encouraging spectacle over results since getting a couple kills in Skull Town in the first minute gets you more points than a top 5-10 finish. Then of course you only really level up on the pass thus unlocking cool stuff if you land in oddly specific locations or use inconvenient weapons/classes for the situation just because it's the best way to move on. No penalties for those who sit on your banner. No penalty for those who rather steal your items than revive you. No penalty for quitters. No penalty for trolling. Nothing. It's actually more effective to play ineffectively right now, unless you're in for the actual wins, but winning's not important apparently.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So, when is Respawn gonna throw in proper penalties for leavers? Most people in ranked randoms quits seconds after being downed.

Tbh with you Fairy, im one of those quilters now.

When you've played 10 games in a row with randoms that have made no attempt at all to collect your banner you stop caring.

I agree that there should be punishment for quitters, but I also think there should be rewards for revives. Perhaps a 1.5x bonus xp boost if you've respawned a team mate? Or maybe the respawn beacon should spit out a random purple item when used? I don't know, but as it is now in ranked it makes no sense going for the revive when your trying to sweat out a top 5 finish.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh with you Fairy, im one of those quilters now.

When you've played 10 games in a row with randoms that have made no attempt at all to collect your banner you stop caring.

I agree that there should be punishment for quitters, but I also think there should be rewards for revives. Perhaps a 1.5x bonus xp boost if you've respawned a team mate? Or maybe the respawn beacon should spit out a random purple item when used? I don't know, but as it is now in ranked it makes no sense going for the revive when your trying to sweat out a top 5 finish.

Yeah, I had a match the other day where I revived 3 and respawned 1 in like 5 minutes. I saved the team's ass more than once basically, and had I not got 5 kills in the process it would have been useless in terms of progression. Whereas stealing a third party kill is more valuable than literally saving the match.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, 6 months in and the gun stops shooting and melees despite not even touching the melee button glitch is still as very present. Why.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Also, 6 months in and the gun stops shooting and melees despite not even touching the melee button glitch is still as very present. Why.
I ended up mapping melee on the d-pad down. Doesn't take long to get used to, but punching a guy to death is hard to do now. At least you can still give the final punch if needed.
There must be something wrong with the way they filter inputs, because I never had it happen in Blackout - or any other game with similar mapping.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I ended up mapping melee on the d-pad down. Doesn't take long to get used to, but punching a guy to death is hard to do now. At least you can still give the final punch if needed.
There must be something wrong with the way they filter inputs, because I never had it happen in Blackout - or any other game with similar mapping.

I need to do this today. Out of all the issues people complain about in this game, this is the one that gets me every time. I never ever used to unintentionally melee people in Blackout or any other FPS game in the middle of a fight. In Apex it happens atleast once a game.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I havent accidentally punched instead of shoot since I switched to button puncher.

Having crouch/slide on R3 is also great, considering how important sliding is

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I should stop hoarding throwables. If we start a fight I have to manually switch back to my gun because I'll just keep equipping them, which is bad when they're running towards you and you pull out a thermite.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Wait no, all this time I thought it was just me lacking coordination and goofing up, but it ain't and it's just a bug? Goddammit.
I'll try and remap the melee on another button and see how that goes, even though it'll make for a weird period of adaptation. But the number of times I died because of this bug is just way too high for me to ignore. The punching animation can't be stopped so it really is a waste of time every time it happens, especially if the enemy is not close enough to be hit anyway.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I should stop hoarding throwables. If we start a fight I have to manually switch back to my gun because I'll just keep equipping them, which is bad when they're running towards you and you pull out a thermite.

On the contrary I find throwables, thermites especially, to be incredibly valuable. You can use them as a zoning tool to slow or stop an aggressive push, use them to break down doors when enemies are entrenched in a building, and finish downed opponents while still being able to keep an eye out for their team.

It absolutely is a risky move when under fire but I've found that especially in ranked, thermites and the throwing stars are good tools to have available.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Had to switch to Button Puncher because the melee bug was just straight up costing me every other game.

Climbing ranked is hell. I'm only in Gold still, but you have to judge your teammates so early on whether they're deadweight or actually useful to decide on whether its a fight to the finish or a solo stealth mission.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
but you have to judge your teammates so early on whether they're deadweight or actually useful to decide on whether its a fight to the finish or a solo stealth mission.

I felt this on a deep level. I honestly haven't bothered doing ranked ever since I reached Plat4, it's such a huge stress on me when I'm going solo, I can't be bothered with this mess anymore.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think third partying can't happen in solos? It's almost easier to do since you know you are only facing one other person that's most likely banged up. Honestly so much less risk to jump in a battle in solo or snipe from a distance to finish them off.
I'm of the opinion that third partying is going to be worse in solo's than in teams.

Source: Literally any FFA shooter ever.

Your usual 2 teammates are now enemies. Think about that. The drops are going to be chaos and I think they should balance it by weighting white armor and weapons more because at current levels those drops are going to be fucking stupid. I'll probably be going to like random houses/river to loot up.

I havent accidentally punched instead of shoot since I switched to button puncher.

Having crouch/slide on R3 is also great, considering how important sliding is
I need to try this. I clench melee so bad.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Complaining about randoms is ancient news but someone please explain this to me.

It feels like more then 90% of randoms I get are beyond useless... Solos tomorrow I guess, yay.

Feels like you were third-wheeling and they had something going on, either trolling together or they're total noobs to the game idk. But yeah, I've had my share of random mates shooting in the air, probably to test guns? And of course they couldn't hear me when I'd tell them to stop or everybody else would know our position (since they were probably on their own vocal party). Like I said, I feel like Summer has brought a lot of... interesting players, to say it politely.

Last edited:

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Wait no, all this time I thought it was just me lacking coordination and goofing up, but it ain't and it's just a bug? Goddammit.
I'll try and remap the melee on another button and see how that goes, even though it'll make for a weird period of adaptation. But the number of times I died because of this bug is just way too high for me to ignore. The punching animation can't be stopped so it really is a waste of time every time it happens, especially if the enemy is not close enough to be hit anyway.
I don't know if it's a bug or if clicking R3 naturally happens when moving the stick around (yet somehow gets filtered out in all other games I've ever played), but ever since remapping that button I've never accidentally meleed again. It was so refreshing not having to deal with that shit anymore.

I tried swapping crouch and melee but couldn't get used to it. D-pad down worked for me.

Last edited:

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Feels like you were third-wheeling and they had something going on, either trolling together or they're total noobs to the game idk. But yeah, I've had my share of random mates shooting in the air, probably to test guns? And of course they couldn't hear me when I'd tell them to stop or everybody else would know our position (since they were probably over their own vocal party). Like I said, I feel like Summer has brought a lot of... interesting players, to say it politely.
my first match last night our jump master dropped us in a hot zone, I got downed cuz I couldn't find a gun, and then after the fight they shoot at me while I'm downed for half a minute before finally reviving me

turned off apex after that and played fire emblem instead

Oct 31, 2017
My experience solo queuing in ranked has been hit and miss. Sometimes I will get paired up with a duo who are solid, whom I can stick with and ping things (I tend to sit in the game chat but with my mic muted, only talking if they seem chill, so I can listen to them if they are actually decent on the mics). Sometimes I get duos who go out of their way to make it hard for me as the third wheel and who play quite stupidly. Sometimes I'll get a full squad of randoms where we will all wind up coordinating decently (this is most rare), while often the full random squads will be players who make really bad judgement calls and aren't coordinating at all.

My issue often is that I tend to stick a bit too close to teammates when I'm solo-queuing, when I should most probably be playing more selfish in a pragmatic way in order to not die quickly/be put into really poor situations. It can be hard to judge just how close or far away from teammates to play until it's a bit too late to reverse course.

I'm about 20 RP below Platinum 2 now after having a pretty productive point day yesterday, and it's definitely to the point where going in solo can be quite risky. That said, of the games I played yesterday, I had a max RP win solo queuing, where-as when I played with my regular squad the best we were able to do was some top 3's.

And as far as controller mappings go, I switched to the "Evolved" setting pretty early on and think it works pretty great, for me anyway. (A/X for active abilities, R3 for crouch/slide, LB/L1 for jump)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think gold is where you should probably be looking at LFG. The -2 everytime you get idiot teammates (more than half the time I'd say) is rough.

I just hit plat and I can't fathom doing true randoms there.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my first match last night our jump master dropped us in a hot zone, I got downed cuz I couldn't find a gun, and then after the fight they shoot at me while I'm downed for half a minute before finally reviving me

turned off apex after that and played fire emblem instead

Usually that is because your teammates' names disappear when you aim down sights. They probably thought you were an enemy. A troll would have let you bleed out and then looted your stuff.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Evolved" is my jam. No accidental "clench" melees for me.

In those situations where you're completely out of ammo if you hold down the switch weapon button and put away your gun your "fire weapon" button will throw a melee attack.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt this on a deep level. I honestly haven't bothered doing ranked ever since I reached Plat4, it's such a huge stress on me when I'm going solo, I can't be bothered with this mess anymore.

I'm still only in Gold 2 because due to useless teammates I can only take this game (ranked, in particular) in small doses nowadays. But once I reach Plat that's probably where I don't bother touching ranked anymore. It's just frustrating because it's practically a guaranteed minus points with shit teammates, which happens more often than not - unless, of course, I decide to play hide and seek for 15 minutes in a fucking corner of the map because only a top 5 or 3 makes it sure that I didn't waste my time playing. I'll be fine in unranked.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary I find throwables, thermites especially, to be incredibly valuable. You can use them as a zoning tool to slow or stop an aggressive push, use them to break down doors when enemies are entrenched in a building, and finish downed opponents while still being able to keep an eye out for their team.

It absolutely is a risky move when under fire but I've found that especially in ranked, thermites and the throwing stars are good tools to have available.

I agree about the value (Lord knows how many times I've been downed and had a grenade dropped in my lap) but I was referring to the times when I have a big backpack and half my inventory is throwables. I subconsciously think I'll throw everything and then start shooting, only to belatedly realize I have so many that I just keep throwing even when I shouldn't be.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nTvSSHk_d.jpg

I mean, this match started seconds after my last post. By the time it was possible to drop from the ship, both my teammates left. If I quit, I lose points. If I press on, I just have to take it slowly, hoping that a team of 3 never gangbangs me before the top 3, which did happen ultimately.

It would be nice if Respawn did something to guarantee those who want to play this game as a competitive multiplayer battle royale experience are in fact able to do so. But nope, God forbid actually penalize quitters or toxic behaviour because two thirds of the game's population plays like this. Hell, the game not punishing you for it and giving absurd challenges practically rewards you for dropping hot into Skull Town, get a couple quick kills then leave when downed.

Oct 31, 2017
I think people underestimate just how strong of odds they can have as a solo in late game Ranked, especially if they move around the map and try to gear up in areas that weren't touched/seem relatively quiet. More often than not, I find that often the final battles come down to squads who don't have all 3 members alive, and can even be multiple solo players. I've had several games where I was last man standing for my squad and I've had pretty solid odds to win outright if I played my cards just right/pick the perfect window to step out and engage.

I think it can be quite fun/exhilarating trying to grab a win in Ranked once you are solo. The intensity of sneaking around, trying to avoid being spotted is palpable and it really increases if you can get into a decent position towards the end with solid gear. I'm typically someone who is all about that high-speed action, but I quite enjoy how the game turns into a stealth/survival horror (lol!) when you're the only one left on your squad.

Top 3's are definitely doable as a solo.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people underestimate just how strong of odds they can have as a solo in late game Ranked, especially if they move around the map and try to gear up in areas that weren't touched/seem relatively quiet. More often than not, I find that often the final battles come down to squads who don't have all 3 members alive, and can even be multiple solo players. I've had several games where I was last man standing for my squad and I've had pretty solid odds to win outright if I played my cards just right/pick the perfect window to step out and engage.

I think it can be quite fun/exhilarating trying to grab a win in Ranked once you are solo. The intensity of sneaking around, trying to avoid being spotted is palpable and it really increases if you can get into a decent position towards the end with solid gear. I'm typically someone who is all about that high-speed action, but I quite enjoy how the game turns into a stealth/survival horror (lol!) when you're the only one left on your squad.

But that's kinda the point I was making. If you're alone after a minute, you are practically forced to play solo unless you're Shroud levels or shit. Find a competent team of 3 and you don't really have a chance at doing anything. Top 3s are feasible but only because there's often hidden corners you can camp in with little to no effort whatsoever, sometimes involving 5-10 minutes of sticking around the same little perimeter making sure nobody comes close, and if they do that they don't see the player. Quite frankly the opposite of fun, and while I won some matches solo, I can count on one hand the times I had a legit fighting chance against an actual team of 3 when everyone's armed up to the teeth.

Oct 31, 2017
But that's kinda the point I was making. If you're alone after a minute, you are practically forced to play solo unless you're Shroud levels or shit. Find a competent team of 3 and you don't really have a chance at doing anything. Top 3s are feasible but only because there's often hidden corners you can camp in with little to no effort whatsoever, sometimes involving 5-10 minutes of sticking around the same little perimeter making sure nobody comes close, and if they do that they don't see the player. Quite frankly the opposite of fun, and while I won some matches solo, I can count on one hand the times I had a legit fighting chance against an actual team of 3 when everyone's armed up to the teeth.

I know what you are saying and I understand your frustration at getting poor teammates that wind up wrecking a potentially decent, more action focused game. I've solo-queued ranked quite a bit so I've definitely had my fair share of those very games.

I just happen to like the sneaking/creeping around and trying to avoid combat rather than engage in it. Trying to bide time and slink around the map, considering the angles which best minimize your visibility, while waiting for the moment to descend onto the combat like Batman dropping down on some unsuspecting gangsters. I find it kind of fun, even if it's antithetical to the game's design of trying to encourage more action.

I had a game where I was solo from very nearly the onset of the match, and I dropped quite a distance away from the first ring location and had to cross quite a bit of the map through the game. At one point, I came up on the outpost that is just south of the Pit that overlooks the fields between Oasis and Bunker and I heard several footsteps around me and was caught in quite a bad spot. I began to hug the long Eastern facing wall there and was slowly crouch-walking along the inside of it. Then I heard the full squad come right up on my position, and I literally sat still, crouched right next to the loot bin that sits along that long Eastern wall. The whole squad literally came up to this loot bin I was crouched beside, opened it up, grabbed the items, and then they all proceeded to move past me.

I felt like Solid Snake waiting for the Genome Soldiers to walk past my position so I could slip around them and keep moving. I don't know how they didn't notice me and I was able to accomplish that very thing. Was so intense and was one of the most memorable moments I've actually had in this game so far.

12972-metal-gear-solid-windows-screenshot-hurry-now-keep-moving.jpg

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
A few buddies of mine who I play with alot decided to take off from work today and we managed to win 7 games in vanilla Apex and 3 in ranked. Also knocked out a few challenges and ranked up my BP like 3 levels. I'm slowly making it through Plat now and understanding more and more how unforgiving most encounters are. People are definitely smarter and are nailing Longbow shots from across the map now.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017

This might be true in lower ranks but I'd say definitely not in Diamond/Predator, you need to get incredibly lucky to be able to win solo.

However in normal matches like this one, where teammates kept dying, it's obviously not over when you're alone:

Gonna be weird not having to 1vs3 tomorrow.

Oct 31, 2017
This might be true in lower ranks but I'd say definitely not in Diamond/Predator, you need to get incredibly lucky to be able to win solo.

However in normal matches like this one, where teammates kept dying, it's obviously not over when you're alone:

Gonna be weird not having to 1vs3 tomorrow.

Yeah, I can imagine that's the case. I should have prefaced by saying up through Platinum in Ranked. I imagine Diamond & Apex, once one teammate dies, the rest are probably not far behind as I'm sure the teamwork necessary will mean that squads will inherently be more tightly working together & much faster to collapse on vulnerable teams.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Ninja's Mixer deal is nothing. I stream my Apex Legends solo ranked play EXCLUSIVELY to 2 lucky viewers and I am rewarded often with 5 WHOLE points for a 20 minute session! Best part of the deal? They get paid the exact same amount as I do! Wow!

(i just want to get out of gold, jesus christ aaaaagggghhhhhhhhh)

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodhound heirloom and lots of new skins, for Legends and guns. Plus a map change with the fire rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.