• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently you get the skins only by buying the event lootboxes which cost 7 a piece. Absolutely pathetic if true
You also get event loot boxes from some challenges. I have two challenges that have an Iron Crown pack as a reward, although they're kinda crazy. For me, one is "get 25k damage" and another "do 20 daily challenges".

Oct 27, 2017
The money grubbing bullshit here my god. Two free boxes (that require a huge grind) then you need spend well over 100 to unlock the rest of the skins, THEN you get the OPTION to spend 35 more dollars for an axe for Bloodhound. Absolutely fucking insane and it's totally put me off the whole game.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peak Apex this mode.

I kill a guy at the start, proceeds to send me hate messages including "camper", "gay" and more.
I kill other people throughout the match, all the way to the top 2.
I shoot a guy 3 times in the face with a Longbow netting a whopping 0 damage.
Guy proceeds to kill me because my bullets didn't register.
Game crashes.

Solo really is taking out the worst of this game.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Monetisation on this "Event" is so fucking unacceptable that I can only assume the game is in trouble and demands have been made that it brings in more cash. Insanity. Fire your MTX designer, Respawn. This was evident from the very start and even more now that they are shit at their job.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
The MTX is insanely stupid. You'd have to spend roughly $154 to unlock all the items ($7 per crate x 22 crates since you get two free from quests) and another $35 for the heirloom. Now, you don't need to own all the skins, but at least in games like Fortnite I can get the one skin I like, and that will be the end of it.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting to be able to pay the 1800 coins for a Legendary of my choosing, this blows.

Won my second solo game, though.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
First solo and I got 2nd as kill leader, when I took down one player I was weak and got killed by the other.

Surprisingly fun and very different to playing in a squad.

I'll need a few more matches before making a solid opinion on it, but first impressions are good.

A few things I noticed:

The ring location is revealed at the start, before jumping.

There seemed to be a fair few level 4 shields around - maybe the drop rates increased to help with snipers.

Lots of Pathfinders!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top 2, I kill the final guy but somehow another guy was alive outside of the remaining 2. The fuck is up with this event? It's full of glitches and exploits :\

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
They cant be serious with this event. The way they handle microtransactions in this game is goddamn greedy and disgusting. Taking every incentive for me to play at all. Holy fuck this is beyond good and evil.

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The microtransaction economy has only gotten worse since the Apex launch.

Oh goodie, they added crafting materials to the Battle Pass. Woopsie Daisy, looks like the new skins require a different currency!

This would have been the perfect time to reward long time players by making the special packs purchasable with red currency. But no, hand over $160. Ridiculous Respawn.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn be like: "Play our limited Solo mode, finish challenges in it for special unlocks!"
Also Respawn: "Here, take two daily challenges involving finishers since you can't do those in Solo unless your enemy has a gold respawn shield"

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the only money I've spent on this game has been the two battle passes

even if I didn't really enjoy or engage with the first one, I felt ok giving them $10 for a game I love from a dev I love
same with season 2, even if the only rewards I particularly like are the three skins you unlock with the purchase, I felt ok supporting the game

but this? yeeeeaaahh I'm gonna think long and hard before I buy the next BP
they're just continuing to make bizarre, shitty choices regarding micro transactions

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously think they're not making enough money and that there are enough people with a problematic gambling habit to make it worthwhile exploiting.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They obviously think they're not making enough money and that there are enough people with a problematic gambling habit to make it worthwhile exploiting.

Yep.
Pay $200 now and guarantee the Bloodhound heirloom or gamble later 1/500 chances.

I guess we know why this event was brought up during the EA earnings call a few weeks ago. It's a cash grab.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only money I've spent on this game has been the two battle passes

even if I didn't really enjoy or engage with the first one, I felt ok giving them $10 for a game I love from a dev I love
same with season 2, even if the only rewards I particularly like are the three skins you unlock with the purchase, I felt ok supporting the game

but this? yeeeeaaahh I'm gonna think long and hard before I buy the next BP
they're just continuing to make bizarre, shitty choices regarding micro transactions

It reminds me of a much better version of Ark. That game had shitty framerate, horrible graphics, tons of freezes, an abundance of glitches and a variety of balance issues, only partially solved by the time the game exited Early Access/Game Preview. And yet they were already adding paid DLCs and all kinds of extra content while taking their sweet time fixing the game's core issues.

Apex is nothing like Ark because the core gameplay is great, but there's a lot of issues that have been there since launch. The silent footsteps glitch, odd sync which causes the end screen to start popping up before your enemy's shot is even made, shots not registering despite clear hits, server failures and crashes, some guns being able to shoot through walls, and so on. None of these issues gone closer to being fixed in 6 months, but Respawn/EA already found a dozen different ways to spam (often low quality) cosmetics through expensive MTX. It's sad, because the game's own progression system barely gives any decent item. For once they finally drop some real good looking stuff, and getting what you want could cost you like 200 dollars.

I'd be more inclined to buy this kind of stuff if the game didn't kill me with glitches every other match, thanks.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Hey respawn can you maybe try banning some hackers for a change? It's wall to fucking wall now. Every game has some fuck who jumps around a corner and triple wingman headhsots you midair.

When it's not hackers it's literally one hundred percent the rest of the time getting shot through a wall because of the appalling netcode. Aside from the one solos game I won near every match I've had for the last two weeks has been garbage.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Like you cant even grind for a specific skin. Its ALL RNG. If you are unlucky you get tour your desired skin the the last lootbox. And the even jacked up the prices for these "special" lootboxes. 1 Pack for 7$/€. Man im seriously thinking of dropping this game.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like you cant even grind for a specific skin. Its ALL RNG. If you are unlucky you get tour your desired skin the the last lootbox. And the even jacked up the prices for these "special" lootboxes. 1 Pack for 7$/€. Man im seriously thinking of dropping this game.
Why are you considering dropping a FREE game whose gameplay you enjoy just because of some cosmetic MTX bullshit

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm going to bail on this game, at least until the end of the year. I've been completely ignoring the crappy loot boxes, battle passes, and challenges all this time, but I'm just so sick of the connection and disconnection issues. Battle Royale games already involve a lot of downtime and loading screens without all of this wasted time. It reminds me of Battlefield V at launch, but it's been out for ages. Any time I try to sneak in an hour before work in the morning I regret it because it's like all bad randos and disconnections and it makes me wish I had just slept in instead.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have ever played a game I genuinely liked so much that I wanted to drop money on it just to support it, but have the overall setup to do that be so incredibly unappealing that it holds me back.

I can't even fathom the levels of dumb this seems to be. But I think having to spend a lot to merely get the option to spend more money on the heirloom takes the cake.

Hittting max level a long time ago and totally drying the dripfeed of apex packs does not entice me to get packs, it makes me less likely to bother at all. Having a store that has a few of the basic items for a stupid high price for an entire week does not even get me to check the store, to say nothing of the currency that is used for alt colors that...require having the skin to begin with. Having limited time $7 loot boxes does not not entice me at all when it's easy to math out how pointless it is to do that if you want a specific skin and need to hail the RNG gods, or go all in for over $200 for the heirloom.

Respawn. Pls.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Played a few more solo matches and I am liking it so far. Surprised myself with it actually.

I was sceptical but I think it works. In squads I've always done damage, can down a couple of enemies but normally die to a third of third party.

In solos it is usually one on one at the start and as you get to the final rings it becomes more intense.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, it's a F2P game from EA so I guess it's to be expected on some level. They captured an audience and now we get F2P mechanic creep. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

UncomfortablePopularIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
2 out of 3 matches I have been killed by teamers. Such garbage

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you considering dropping a FREE game whose gameplay you enjoy just because of some cosmetic MTX bullshit

I'm personally not dropping the game, but I can understand the sentiment.

Whereas a good progression and microtransaction system can incentivize me to play the game, a bad system can discourage me from playing.

I've heard people suggest that you can simply ignore that aspect of the game and just enjoy the gameplay, but that's easier said than done. There are techniques they use to constantly capture your attention and interest in spending money; for example, this "limited time, special event" is one of those techniques. The drop-feed Battle Pass is another. Same with the cyclic store.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Can I have ONE Round this week with a teammate who has a clue? How can you play level 100 and not realise that if you're going to hot drop then fucking drop straight away so we don't arrive 2 minutes after everyone else. Jesus Christ people weren't even this stupid on launch day.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand, i should use ultimate accelerant, then recharge gets faster?

If you use the ultimate accelerant your ultimate will be 100% charged. With other characters an ultimate accelerant only charges it like 20%.

So if you drop your ultimate and it gets destroyed, you can use an ultimate accelerant and instantly drop another one.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally not dropping the game, but I can understand the sentiment.

Whereas a good progression and microtransaction system can incentivize me to play the game, a bad system can discourage me from playing.

I've heard people suggest that you can simply ignore that aspect of the game and just enjoy the gameplay, but that's easier said than done. There are techniques they use to constantly capture your attention and interest in spending money; for example, this "limited time, special event" is one of those techniques. The drop-feed Battle Pass is another. Same with the cyclic store.
I mean sure, I guess these systems mess with people in different ways but thats so weird to me.

I haven't spent a dime on this game and its my fav game to come out in the past year probably. I'll admit I try to knock out dailies unless they are something stupid like 10 headshots with LMG's. But I just do those as a fun little challenge to mix up heroes and gameplay.

Dunno why anyone would drop a game they enjoy because of something so trivial and easily ignored.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I have ONE Round this week with a teammate who has a clue? How can you play level 100 and not realise that if you're going to hot drop then fucking drop straight away so we don't arrive 2 minutes after everyone else. Jesus Christ people weren't even this stupid on launch day.

Yeah, the community is really dumb. The challenges probably made it worse because half the players only chase those now, dropping solo or running for crates/packages just because a challenge tells 'em to, only to die in a second and move on to the next match where they can try again.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the community is really dumb. The challenges probably made it worse because half the players only chase those now, dropping solo or running for crates/packages just because a challenge tells 'em to, only to die in a second and move on to the next match where they can try again.
I might have to actually just play solos after all because it's clear anyone good is already in a 3 man party.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is my first "only in Solo" kind of moment. A final circle of absolute chaos and hilarity that is quite literally impossible to see in squads. For those who can't watch the video, a recap below:

I rush towards a Bangalore running towards the circle, only to be backstabbed by a Pathfinder hiding below. I manage to down the latter despite some shabby aim, but he clearly has a gold revive shield because he doesn't die. I don't have time to finish him because Bangalore is out there, knowing fully well where I am. So a bit of a Looney Tunes-esque back and forth happens, which culminates with a hilarious ending where we down each other. But wait, both of us have golden revives, so now there's three players just trying to beat each other on the clock to revive themselves. Pathy clearly waited a bit to find a hidden enough location to do so, so it was a race against the clock. I hesitated too long, the next circle was elsewhere so the time was clicking... then the orange barrier murders both of the opponents, shortly before it gets to me as I was closest to the next circle now. That moment of hesitation brought me close enough to stay alive.

Amazing stuff.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Apex MTX economy has always been a joke so it's no surprise that they've decided to make it even worse for this event, they just continue to make it an easy choice not to spend any money on their game outside of the BP (which is a one time purchase if you play regularly). They should have a proper progression path towards the heirlooms but that'll never happen when they can convince some people to spend upwards of $500 to get one.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe how bad this event is monetized.. The ability to buy the 35 dollar axe unlocking after buying 24 loot boxes is so hilarious. Jesus christ EA. Literally everyone who I play this game with was excited for the event and it has totally killed that excitement. No one wants to spend hundreds of dollars to get the skins they want.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
lol this monetization scheme is so bad...i won't be participating. i'll just enjoy the new solo mode, the new octane area, and level up my battlepass along the way.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'll just grind out my two free boxes and hope that I get what I want. Here I was ready to drop actual cash on the Gibby skin and they go and fuck it up.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's not helping that in my frustration I apparently can't hit an ulting bloodhound with 40 rounds of lstar at point blank any more.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

This is my first "only in Solo" kind of moment. A final circle of absolute chaos and hilarity that is quite literally impossible to see in squads. For those who can't watch the video, a recap below:

I rush towards a Bangalore running towards the circle, only to be backstabbed by a Pathfinder hiding below. I manage to down the latter despite some shabby aim, but he clearly has a gold revive shield because he doesn't die. I don't have time to finish him because Bangalore is out there, knowing fully well where I am. So a bit of a Looney Tunes-esque back and forth happens, which culminates with a hilarious ending where we down each other. But wait, both of us have golden revives, so now there's three players just trying to beat each other on the clock to revive themselves. Pathy clearly waited a bit to find a hidden enough location to do so, so it was a race against the clock. I hesitated too long, the next circle was elsewhere so the time was clicking... then the orange barrier murders both of the opponents, shortly before it gets to me as I was closest to the next circle now. That moment of hesitation brought me close enough to stay alive.

Amazing stuff.

That was incredible. HAHA.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The new Gauntlet area is amazing. It's like Skulltown Pt 2 over there in vanilla Apex. My buddy just had a 17 kill game and he got 8 of those in the Gauntlet when we dropped there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.