• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I love love love the game but holy moly is the micro transaction approach here extremely gross in this event. A £135 / $170 fee for a cosmetic is up there with some of the worst mtx examples in quite some time.

I hope this gains some traction in the community as I'd really like to see Respawn / EA do better by the game. I'd be happy to throw some cash their way for making a great game but things like this just put me right off.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
The way you unlock skins for thisnevebt is disgusting. Plus they still haven't figured out how to use those red coins and they likely never will. Game is fun but the unlock system is bottom tier trash levels of stupidity

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I love love love the game but holy moly is the micro transaction approach here extremely gross in this event. A £135 / $170 fee for a cosmetic is up there with some of the worst mtx examples in some time.
It's a good thing that none of those event skins look appealing to me! And heirlooms are proving to be absolute garbo.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'll just grind out my two free boxes and hope that I get what I want. Here I was ready to drop actual cash on the Gibby skin and they go and fuck it up.

This literally though. I was really ready to shed some money for that Lifeline skin, but given how randomized it is? Hell to the fricking no, buh-bye! Sigh.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I just fundamentally don't understand the whale chasing business model. I assume someone's done the research at some point, but I just can't see how exclusively targeting people willing to drop hundreds is more profitable than having reasonable prices for which most of the players are potential customers.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just fundamentally don't understand the whale chasing business model. I assume someone's done the research at some point, but I just can't see how exclusively targeting people willing to drop hundreds is more profitable than having reasonable prices for which most of the players are potential customers.

Especially when this just seems to irritate and cause backlash each time.

Like, they just dropped the big Solos update. And everywhere I look the discussion is solely on how grimy the monetization is instead. Solid work.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will likely find they overtuned it. Remains to be seen if any of this will either
1.Drop into the normal loot pool
2. Drop into the store for direct purchase.

Perhaps they want to set up some form of exclusivity. I never got too into fortnite but I recall people clamoring to bring back certain skins they sold earlier because they sort of "rose in value" later on.

Neodyn

Mar 23, 2019
Hittting max level a long time ago and totally drying the dripfeed of apex packs does not entice me to get packs, it makes me less likely to bother at all.

This is exactly how it went for me. The huge gap from my last pack of S1 to the freebies in S2 made me forget they were even a thing. And now I don't care about any cosmetics at all.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I played one solo match, no thanks

I kinda want the Gibraltar skin but I don't think I want to grind out challenges for the chance to possibly, maybe get it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially when this just seems to irritate and cause backlash each time.

Like, they just dropped the big Solos update. And everywhere I look the discussion is solely on how grimy the monetization is instead. Solid work.

They bit off more than they can chew probably. If the MTX model is greedy but still allows you to get a lot of good shit by reasonable grind, people eat up that shit. See Overwatch. But this? You could play 200 hours in these 2 weeks and you'd still have to pay up to 150-200 bucks to get the skin you like? Even them costing 25 bucks individually would have been better than this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly how it went for me. The huge gap from my last pack of S1 to the freebies in S2 made me forget they were even a thing. And now I don't care about any cosmetics at all.

The battlepass packs actually reminded me that with Wattson added, they dilute the hell out of the loot poll each time a character and gun is added as well. This game did not need to dry up the packs like that, there's so much filler as it is.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried buying one of the packs since I have tons of Apex credits from those Live Gold deals from a while ago. Well, they gave me two doses of 15 event credits and a weapon skin. 7 dollars well spent /s

Rental

Oct 28, 2017

Cause whales are spending and there is plenty of them out there. How many kids probably have credits on these games just loaded by parents every so often. Even in other games I played users on these boards would spend a few hundred on loot boxes every couple of months. This is no different if someone has the cash they will spend it.

Don't think some vocal people expressing frustration is outweighing people spending serious loot. Remember negativity/complaints is usually what gets posted over satisfied or people with no issues. This message board and even something like Reddit is a very small part of the gaming community in Apex. I'd say a fair amount of players don't even post stuff online and just play the games.

There is a question though if the price was slightly lower and EA can grab more buyers would that make more for them than just having less sales at a higher price rate. I'm sure EA/respawn evaluates this frequently. Maybe they are trying to maximize sales now at the current price and will get additional sales on future discounts if they ever do a special event sale.

For posters on here to say the game isn't doing well and that is why they set the prices high is absurd. If there is demand raise it and see if the demand still supports it. You don't raise prices when failing and you have no demand. It may seem disgusting but if people buy it and it's a success then guess what.. expect more successful games to follow.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK

It helps that cosmetics in the game are mostly terrible, even if the drop rate of rarer items were improved, most of the stuff just isn't worth having. Even after they tried to improve them a little from the bland original content they added some interesting looking stuff that ended up being awful to play with, the white gun skins tend to be better for playing the game with, they don't take up as much screen space.

Oct 31, 2017
Ive already dropped about $80 on this game, and it's kind of annoying because these skins are definitely good looking, making it very tempting to drop some more money on Apex Coins. Damn you Respawn! :-(

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
Solo looks fun. It's 6 months too late. And because it's only temporary I don't feel like getting back into the game.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ehh.

Challenge screen is a bit busy.

And while im a fan of the death summary, imho it should be after you're dead dead. I accidentally quit out of the match i was playing, lol. Not intuitive

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
The way apex packs dry up after hitting 100 is proper lame but at least it stops me caring about chasing levels or battlepass stuff anymore. Won't bother with the next one and the solo mode stuff can drown in a pit of cocks

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This event took quite the turn. Everyone was so hyped about the event until the moment it went live. Utterly gutted the momentum. Good job Respawn.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when we thought we'd have the privilege of dropping $20 on a character skin that we wanted in this FPS? I remember.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Kings Canyon is just too cluttered for solos. In Blackout or PUBG you can sort of hold a perimeter even when on the move. Here there are so many nooks and crannies every 5 feet that you just have to hope no one's there far more than I'd like. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Kings Canyon is just too cluttered for solos. In Blackout or PUBG you can sort of hold a perimeter even when on the move. Here there are so many nooks and crannies every 5 feet that you just have to hope no one's there far more than I'd like. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Yeah, the map size feels right for 20 teams, but 60 "teams" means you are practically certain to drop with someone else no matter where you go. It's something some people like, sure, but BRs are usually about choice, allowing very different playstyles.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017

As always it was never going to work. No idea why people asked so much. Arena death matches with maybe limited rotating legends sure that could work. All out br mode as solos in apex, no way. If anything they should put resources on a second map that allows quads and triples. A squad of four with a few more legends released will open up a lot of possibilities with legend combos.

Even in the other games you mentioned solos is the least played as well. Even in games when it works it's the least populated. I think it's a good option when it makes sense.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm loving the intensity of solos but man it is rough. Done top 3s a bunch of times but I can never get that last kill, the end is such a clusterfuck.

It's always the fucking Pathfinders killing me for the win too

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
As always it was never going to work. No idea why people asked so much. Arena death matches with maybe limited rotating legends sure that could work. All out br mode as solos in apex, no way. If anything they should put resources on a second map that allows quads and triples. A squad of four with a few more legends released will open up a lot of possibilities with legend combos.

Even in the other games you mentioned solos is the least played as well. Even in games when it works it's the least populated. I think it's a good option when it makes sense.
I still think solos are healthy for the game and duos are a must.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Played 10 or so solo games. Pretty fun, but there really are a TON of small little nooks which seem like a lot of circles have spots that are really good little hide holes, so you need to be really careful about getting shot in the back from really strange angles.

Unsurprisingly the mobility people are all king here partially due to that, being able to escape from getting shot first is really important. Tried Caustic for a bit but it's REALLY rough if someone shoots you first since even if you get away, they're throwing nades and running up on you and hiding in the middle of gas doesn't work so well without the chaos of a teamfight.

Mainly seemed to see Pathfinder, Wraith, Mirage and Lifeline. Mirage's passive with a gold knockdown shield seemed surprisingly annoying. Pathfinder was overwhelmingly the most seen and I doubt that will change. Got two wins as him, the Kraber is not a gun I picked up often but it's really strong here since he can get to weird spots , see a fight break out, wait and just snipe someone who runs up to loot. People need to be very careful, lol.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ended up winning my first solo game. 3rd partied 2 pathfinders going at in in the cage section of relay. Knocked and finished one of them, then took out the last with my mastiff. Probably will keep playing solo to clear challenges.

Last edited:

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Every time I think I have finally grasped how utterly fucked this update is, I remember something extra like the fact the Pathfinder and Lifeline music packs randomly not being in the Battle Pass but instead held hostage in #The24.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, it looks like if I just keep playing like I usually do over the next two weeks I'll get two of the crown packs.

This ... doesn't seem that bad, honestly. I wasn't going to buy a skin for $18 no matter how good they look.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
solo mode is fun! very tense. definitely feels like a gimmick—the map and game structure just doesn't feel like a great fit for it. definitely a better way of slamming daily challenges out than solo queueing ranked or unranked is right now, definitely not as fun as playing with friends. so, the same as solo queue in other BRs

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow people are cheating in solos. I had a duo squad run up on me and gank me hard. Nothing I could do as I was sandwiched.

I kept spectating and they were basically hiding together and sandwiching people when they finished a firefight. Funny enough they died in a very ridiculous way in top 5.

This just takes the fun out of solos though when people cheat.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
reached level 50 and got legendary crafting metals and a legendary Wattson banner

and now to try to decide which legendary skin to buy
problem is I don't really have a main and the characters I've been enjoying most recently don't have particularly appealing options lol

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Some dude on my team just cycled through all the event skins at the legend select screen. People are really willing to pay out the ass for these cosmetics 😂

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
what a weird flex lol

I thought the same thing lool

Prolly played like ass

Ngl, he was actually a beast and we won the match

S10KxrP.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Some dude on my team just cycled through all the event skins at the legend select screen. People are really willing to pay out the ass for these cosmetics 😂
Actually this is a somewhat scummy thing they do. They show off the potential skins you're missing out on, even if the person selecting the character doesn't have them. It's been like this since the beginning. I only know this because I play with a very consistent group and always see their picks flash by with skins they definitely don't have.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
played three games of solo

first was with mirage and i got bodied
second was with bloodhound, also bodied but did way better
third was bloodhound again and i died like an idiot to the ring because i was greedy with someone's death box

lots of fun though!

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Played a couple of rounds of Solo and enjoying it more than Squads as expected. I'm still terrible of course, but now I at least don't drag my team down!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bangalore's underrated in Solos. Speed boost when being shot at, smoke screen to create instant cover and most importantly airstrike in the final circles. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.