• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
First Iron Crown pack was the Gibraltar skin. I'll take it, definitely could've done worse.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I thought I only need to get top 5 for 25 times but just realised it's only stage 1 of the challenge. What's the max required for this challenge?

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Man, it seems like theres more teamplay in solo than there is in ranked. 2 times I have been in top 3 where the last 2 played together.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting quote from Drew at Respawn over at the Apex reddit:

"As for skin pricing, we have run promotions on skins and have found an almost zero uplift on sales numbers. The reality is that the percentage of people who actually purchase items is incredibly low and price changes do not have enough of an affect to change that. We run analytics and stats all the time to ensure we're riding the right balance, so I'm not saying price points can't change in the future - but for the time being the change we're making is to provide the Iron Crown Legendary skins in the rotating store so that the Apex Packs aren't the only way to obtain those skins."

So if I'm reading this right - the percentage of people who do buy skins is very small and they will pay the $18 premium. The people who don't buy skins make up the bigger percentage and they won't buy em' even if they're on sale.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disliking really starting to dislike events in games. I don't mind solos, but these limited time challenges are the worst. It's weird how the end of season 1 event felt rewarding and invigorating to play, but this one feels like the worst chore ever. 25 Top 5's over 14 days and it's only part 2 of 4 which unlocks a banner badge. Fuck that.
It's actually 100 I think. Once you get to 25 it says to 70. My guess is once you hit 70 it's 100. I'm at 40 and have the apexmonarch badge already. Not going to enjoy this grind

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Finally got my internet fixed and got to play some solo.

It's shit.

Very first game got teamed on by two guys which kinda gave me an idea of what to expect.

And the challanges are ridiculous. The whole event has been set up to extort money out of us.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Got killed by two players cooperating in solos for the first time... The report button doesn't even work on PS4. :/

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's so damn frustrating to get killed by someone who literally runs up behind you without a single noise only to die in the next round by a guy who can pin point your exact location when you try to get within 100 yards of him.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodhounds ult for distance fighting and snipping is underrated. Sure it can be useful up close but then you run the disadvantage of it's sound being heard. From a distance you can laser folks.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn frustrating to get killed by someone who literally runs up behind you without a single noise only to die in the next round by a guy who can pin point your exact location when you try to get within 100 yards of him.

Yeah, I'm just coming from two consecutive silent enemy deaths. It's great that Respawn has found a dozen different ways to monetize the game since launch but they haven't bothered looking into the core issues affecting the game since day one. I'm not sure I'll keep on playing this game much longer, for every decent match you gotta get through at least twice as many trash ones between glitches, shit teammates, server errors, crashes, etc.. Add to that the horrible unfun grind that the pass challenges are and the game is in a much worse state than it was 6 months ago, which is not something anyone would have expected probably.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
How do people in solos pull this off? Are they messaging people they see in the game and asking them to team up or something?

Since I'm guilty of having done this once or twice because we were too many to play as a team (4/5 people), I'll tell how it's done: vocal chat with friends playing Apex, one makes a countdown, on three everybody clicks on matchmaking, and waits the champion screen to appear to confirm everybody's on the same match with the same hot spots location. It's really not difficult at all tbh. But it's also extremely funny to use this in order to specifically play against your friends, by pinpointing a certain location we all drop in, and then all hell cuts lose and hilarity often ensues. I've had quite the hectic matches backstabbing friends and then being backstabbed myself, it's pretty fun tbh.

Last edited:

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Since I'm guilty of having done this once or twice because we were too many to play as a team (4/5 people), I'll tell how it's done: vocal chat with friends playing Apex, one makes a countdown, on three everybody clicks on matchmaking, and waits the champion screen to appear to confirm everybody's on the same match with the same hot spots location. It's really not difficult at all tbh. But it's also extremely funny to use this in order to specifically play against your friends, by pinpointing a certain location we all drop in, and then all hell cuts lose and hilarity often ensues. I've had quite the hectic matches backstabbing friends and then being backstabbed myself, it's pretty fun tbh.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

Wow! I can't believe that actually works. It seems crazy that with millions of people playing on servers that something like this is doable. I might try it in squads with some friends when there's too many in the party to play with. Sounds fun.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This is why we can't have nice things.

A girl gotta blow off some steam after receiving absolutely shitty daily challenges, and backstabbing friends is one way to go 🤷

But hey, if that reassures anybody: we never ever won any match. That wasn't the aim. The last man standing would often just kamikaze themselves ASAP in front of random players in order to go back to lobby so that we would all try playing together again.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ugh, the fact this works so easily is absurd. Matchmaking should try and not put people from the same friends list in the same pool :\

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Ugh, the fact this works so easily is absurd. Matchmaking should try and not put people from the same friends list in the same pool :\

Or maybe the game should allow players to chose to play in the same overall match as their friends, because playing against friends is fun as well? I don't know, something like private servers. It's not gonna be easily doable though but... yeah, this is a thing that exists and is fun.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Or maybe the game should allow players to chose to play in the same overall match as their friends, because playing against friends is fun as well? I don't know, something like private servers. It's not gonna be easily doable though but... yeah, this is a thing that exists and is fun.

Private matches would be nice, but wouldn't help with the teaming issue. Folks team in BR games to cheat because it gives them an unfair advantage.

I doubt they could look at your whole friends list and avoid players who are on the same friends list, also that'd be very easy to work around anyway, as people could just temporarily delete and re-add their friends. They could do something like add jitter to the matchmaking, so that even if you press ready to matchmake into teams at the same time, it would add a variable length of time (small, maybe 0-10 seconds) to make it hard to actually search for a game at the exact same time.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Private matches would be nice, but wouldn't help with the teaming issue. Folks team in BR games to cheat because it gives them an unfair advantage.

It wouldn't indeed, but then do we know how Fortnite or PUBG handle that solo mode teaming up problem (I don't play those games so I wouldn't know)? It feels like a tricky one to solve, really. The irony of people displaying more teamplay in solo mode than in normal mode isn't lost on me though.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't indeed, but then do we know how Fortnite or PUBG handle that solo mode teaming up problem (I don't play those games so I wouldn't know)? It feels like a tricky one to solve, really. The irony of people displaying more teamplay in solo mode than in normal mode isn't lost on me though.

Well if you report people teaming in other BR games, then it's bannable. So that's a strong deterrent to be honest.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Well if you report people teaming in other BR games, then it's bannable. So that's a strong deterrent to be honest.

Yeah but Apex isn't doing anything about it so far are they? I wonder if they'll finally make a statement about it, especially if solos are made to stay, then maybe it'd be healthy to finally declare it a bannable offense. Although I also hope this will come with an option to play private matches, because damn, playing and goofing around with friends is fun.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017

I've done this in blackout and basically did it to play against friends as well and not abuse it. We could hold mini competitions to see who has the most kills.

I'm sure this can even be done in regular Apex mode but may be a little harder. I never thought of using the champion to see if in the same match. In blackout you used to see the server name in the corner but after it was removed you can use a combo of staging area or flight plan. At least in Apex you can't wait out of ranked at the point of the champion screen or you would lose points I think.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get how every fight I get into on this game is one where I get fucking lasered in 1 second from full purple. Its ridiculous.

It's alarmingly regular that hitting people doesn't give hit markers and guns don't spawn too. The loot has been awful ever since season 2 started

Last edited:

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
5OVDJnsl.png

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just spent a match where I looted three prominent named areas, killed two people and opened a care package. Walked away with good equipment all around but the best shield I've found was white, the best helmet a blue. I don't even know anymore.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but Apex isn't doing anything about it so far are they? I wonder if they'll finally make a statement about it, especially if solos are made to stay, then maybe it'd be healthy to finally declare it a bannable offense. Although I also hope this will come with an option to play private matches, because damn, playing and goofing around with friends is fun.

Well, I would expect that's for this event because they wanted to see how it plays, and how players behave. I don't imagine they plan on doing anything until they implement solos again, as a final game mode.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Good news - Apex up to #5 on the XBL charts and I'm betting it's because of solos. My guess is that they'll make it permanent after this. Too many people wanted it and it's a good addition to the game. Now if they could give us duos I'd be all set.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Side-note from me, that is to be taken in a fun way rather than a real criticism but:
I'd love to see people get 20 kills with Gibraltar and I'll finally be AMAZED!

Every time I see someone with the 20 kills icon, it's always a Gruyère-hitbox Pathfinder, so I'm always amused at this.
GET TO THE REAL CHALLENGE PEOPLE! GO GET 20 KILLS WITH GIBRALTAR FAM!
I got a 20 kill game with Gibby. Really pleased with that, you don't see many Gibraltars with the 20 badge.

Being truthful to my words: gratz to you!

Ynwhgyn.gif

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope solo becomes a mainstay. Been a breeze to blast through dailies and weeklies without feeling bad about going to certain areas. Hot dropping solos is a lot of fun too.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just opened my first free lootbox from the event, and got this:

ZmKRlid.png

This is the 3rd skin I wanted to get my hands on after Lifeline's and Wattson's, so... y'know. Not great, not terrible.
At least it wasn't a Mozambique skin.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting quote from Drew at Respawn over at the Apex reddit:

"As for skin pricing, we have run promotions on skins and have found an almost zero uplift on sales numbers. The reality is that the percentage of people who actually purchase items is incredibly low and price changes do not have enough of an affect to change that. We run analytics and stats all the time to ensure we're riding the right balance, so I'm not saying price points can't change in the future - but for the time being the change we're making is to provide the Iron Crown Legendary skins in the rotating store so that the Apex Packs aren't the only way to obtain those skins."

So if I'm reading this right - the percentage of people who do buy skins is very small and they will pay the $18 premium. The people who don't buy skins make up the bigger percentage and they won't buy em' even if they're on sale.
this...makes a lot of sense! I feel like this can be inferred from how Respawn has priced cosmetics

I wonder what it would take for gamers who whine about overpriced cosmetics to understand that maybe the company that runs the game, who has access to incredibly robust analytics re: purchasing trends of their cosmetics, is better at pricing their goods than people whose qualifications are "I play this game once in a while"

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a new APex discord? i was in one but it's mostly dead now.

this...makes a lot of sense! I feel like this can be inferred from how Respawn has priced cosmetics

I wonder what it would take for gamers who whine about overpriced cosmetics to understand that maybe the company that runs the game, who has access to incredibly robust analytics re: purchasing trends of their cosmetics, is better at pricing their goods than people whose qualifications are "I play this game once in a while"
well, yea, of course they're best at pricing stuff to gouge consumers. they have the backing of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Doesn't mean its a good price for consumers.

Last edited:

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019

Exactly. That whole thread was shit show, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the devs never post on there again after all the hate that was getting thrown at them. Someone even said they'll "see them in hell". WTF is wrong with people? All this outrage over some fucking skins that has zero effect on the gameplay.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
well, yea, of course they're best at pricing stuff to gouge consumers. they have the backing of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Doesn't mean its a good price for consumers.
my post has nothing to do with whether it's a good price for consumers or not. I'm specifically talking about all the putatively-pro-free-market consumer-rights dorks who insist that Respawn would be making three...no, four....no, five times as much money if they lowered the cost of their cosmetics, and that the only reason that they don't do so is out of sheer ignorance. same tune they play for every developer

"I wish cosmetics were cheaper, because then I could buy them for less money" is a totally reasonable opinion. "Respawn is fucking up by not making cosmetics cheaper, and it's INSANE that they can't see that", not as much

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure EA analytics bare out that making the skins $10 wouldn't double the sales, but I don't think discounting hideous skins is a going to be a good indicator of interest either. Also, I'd be shocked if their store's glacial skin rotation speed is tuned to give the best revenue.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
got the Wraith skin for my 25k damage one—wish I hadn't crafted a legendary Wraith skin a month ago, but still pretty happy with it. hope I get the Pathfinder or Bloodhound one with the other box, those are the only other two I'm really interested in

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is there a new APex discord? i was in one but it's mostly dead now.

I don't think there's a new ERA one. The current ERA one is a bit dead, for sure. I always forget to check on it, and then answer messages that are a week old like the filthy necromancer that I am.

I'm sure EA analytics bare out that making the skins $10 wouldn't double the sales, but I don't think discounting hideous skins is a going to be a good indicator of interest either.

THIS. Like them saying "we tried tweaking prices, it didn't work" is funny to me because, sure, if you're tweaking the price on skins that are ugly anyway, OF COURSE the stats are gonna be bad. Honestly the skins I've seen in that tiny weekly store have always consistently been: not that good? Not worth the 18€/13€ price for sure? Most of the skins that were there at the release of the game are honestly not that amazing to begin with. I never caved to buy a Lifeline Legenday base skin because I think all of them are "MEH" at best, and clearly not worth the 18€ price tag. The Iron Crown Lifeline Legendary skin puts them all to shame, really.

Put the Iron Crown skins in that store (aka the truly most beautiful skins this game has, they even admitted it themselves), make discounts on them, and see how the sales go. Then I'll agree to their conclusions, whichever they are. But you can't make statistics conclusions based on skins that aren't that appealing to begin with (something a lot of people agree with).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.