• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Honestly a bit of BS to me, I do not like it at all. The badge and weapon charm aren't interesting enough on their own as rewards to justify me grinding ranked knowing I can never get the dive trail anyway. I know I'll probably never reach Master on S4, so I'm not sure I'll even bother. Even more so knowing it's temporary anyway.
Agreed. I'll end up playing ranked anyway for the Master trail, even if it only lasts for a season, but I'd rather have it the old way.
They posted this breakdown of it:

As of January 10, 2020 we have the following distribution among players who played more than 5 hours of Ranked (versus last Series):
  • 3.9% Bronze (5.1%)
  • 29.1% Silver (40%)
  • 35.3% Gold (35.7%)
  • 23.6% Platinum (16.8%)
  • 7.1% Diamond (2.1%)
  • 1.0% Apex Predator (0.2%)
But I can't help but wonder how much of that is...the dashboarding, lol. I saw sooo many Apex frauds that had no game sense. I'm sure there'd be growth regardless though, so there is more people hitting the higher tier. This still shows most people rose from Silver/Gold to Gold/Plat.

I get the general idea behind it, but if the dive trails are unique it seems sorta harsh to do, especially when 10K RP is really time consuming to hit on top of a mid-season reset that drops people again.
Hot damn, those are even higher numbers than I had anticipated. I'm sure dashboarding contributed for that but I also want to say their new scoring system helped too. I have a friend who happens to steal my would-be kills quite consistently (as in, I do 90% of the damage and he fires the last few shots as I reload/switch gun) and the fact that an assist is considered as a kill helped me score much more.

I wonder if my rank will drop again at the start of the 2nd part of the season, if I haven't played ranked at all during the 1st part of the eason. Imagine that happening, that's be such a shitty move. Truly this tactic of splitting ranked season in two is really screwing us up on all accounts.
I'm afraid it will... they really want to make sure you'll play the World's Edge split hah. I'll reserve my judgement for the system until it hits, but if you're planning on skip one of the splits, it doesn't look good.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Prowler.

Love weapon theorycrafting. Of course they should add the SMGs from Titanfall but I was thinking and I advocate for an entirely new weapon class. Introduce us to Heavy weapons, with slow firing, difficult to aim but devastating AOE effects. A gun like the Softball from TF2 could be really useful to storm teams in entrenched position indoors (which is very difficult to do as of now, depending on their team composition) or, as grenade launcher with a firing arc, napalm the shit out of teams behind cover.

Doh

Knew i was forgetting something lol.

Re purposing the anti titan weapons for Apex could be very interesting. They could take rarer ammo types or something. Gimme dat sidewinder.

Or pull a Halo and have map pick ups/care package heavy weapons that slow you down but you go into 3rd person.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not sure it's fair to compare the numbers of S2 ranked with S3 ranked, since S2 ranked scoring was incredibly unfair to begin with, and heavily favored a certain kind of players over the rest, leaving teammates who didn't get the final hit on a kill in the dust with nothing to show for it. And getting them assist points are so important to rank up once you get Platinum level and above. I know there's Dashboarding involved too, but I'm not sure it's the main reason why the stats have changed.

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't posted in this thread (nor played the game itself) in quite awhile, but wanted to pop in and write out my thoughts on what they've teased for S4 so far.

I'm someone who played Apex from launch and pretty much played it every single day, for usually multiple hours at a time, up until just after Season 3 released.

My friends who played and myself kind of dropped off from the game a few weeks into Season 3. For us, I feel like we mainly fell of from the game due to a couple of factors: overall fatigue, not being super hot on World's Edge and what it did/does to the meta-game and overall encounter/engagement flows, and the tightening of the Skill Based Matchmaking (I feel like some form of SBMM has been in the game since the beginning, but I do think that they really cranked it for S3, and to the game's detriment like most people have moaned about quite a bit).

Not going to lie, them saying that the next weapon being added into the game is another Sniper with some charge-focus, that is most likely another Energy weapon is very disappointing for me. Did there really need to be another Sniper style gun? And not just another Sniper style gun, but one with a focus on charging?
Now there's going to be these: G7, DMR, Triple-Take, Charge Rifle, Sentinel, Havok with Select Fire, Kraber for long distance shootouts. And THREE (four if you factor the Triple Take and Precision Choke) of them will feature charging/winding up defining their play!

Would have much rather saw some other weapon archetype gain a new weapon, any of them really. Or a whole new weapon archetype altogether. Or maybe a new ordnance?

But I'm also biased as I tend to never really snipe as my focus in any FPS/shooting game. Though I do think that Apex's (and Titanfall's) strong suit for combat is mid-to-close range engagements overall, so to see them continually try and nudge the game towards longer distance engagements is not particularly exciting to me personally.

Forge as a character could be cool, we'll obviously have to see what his abilities actually wind up being. But I do find it strange that they are adding in a character that appears to be oriented towards close quarters combat, while also adding another long distance weapon to the sandbox. Seems kind of at odds with one another, philosophically.

It's probably a good thing that they are shortening/tightening the ranked process, and it's good to see Kings Canyon officially coming back in a "standard" way.

The expanded assist window and means to gain assists sounds pretty good, as does making "Master" the division after Diamond, and limiting Apex Predator to the top 500 players on the leaderboard is cool too I think, akin to Halo 5's Onyx and Champion rank breakouts.

I hope the map changes to World's Edge are good, but I still don't feel very favorably towards it as a map for the gameplay of Apex.

Might hop back in with Season 4 after jumping out a month after S3, but we'll see.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Honestly yet another goddamn sniper is definitely not what I wanted either. I barely touch them in regular & ranked, and while I do enjoy them in LTE like Armed & Dangerous, that's about it. I wasn't excited about the Charge Rifle when it dropped, and I won't be excited for this one either, it's getting a bit boring now to be honest. Heck, even the L-Star made me more excited back then.

Oct 31, 2017
I think an explosives/heavy weapon class is a good idea and something I've thought they should try and do for a long time. A set of weapons that are tough to use, have rare ammo drops, yet can hit hard if properly executed, would be pretty cool for the game.

I'd love to see something like TF2's softball launcher as mentioned, or some that could be similar to the Halo: Reach Grenade Launcher (arched shot that'd deal a bunch (1HK?) of damage, could be bounced around corners, and could have a hold-to-remote detonate function) or Brute Shot (fast firing, arch shot small explosives that would deal moderate damage AoE, but would be most effective if shots connected directly). A Sidewinder style equivalent rocket launcher would be cool too. I'm sure they could introduce a class like this and balance it well, and I'm actually pretty surprised they haven't done so yet, especially now, one year in.

Or why not add in a new gun to one of the other archetypes?

Maybe a new on-map LMG, like a light ammo one? One that was a bullet hose that was relatively accurate, but not that strong?

Maybe a pistol that sat between the power and distances of the Wingman and P2020? Something that was more like a shorter range version of the G7 or Hemlok in semi-auto?

Maybe a shotgun that was like the Peacekeeper with the choke on, like a sport shotgun that fired accurately, but didn't do quite the damage of a close range, point blank PK?

There's just so many other things they could have done for weapon diversity in the game IMHO other than add to the already most populated weapon/distance archetype.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Ranked reminds me why i mute everyone. We won the game but christ i didn't need to hear a salty little git start screaming racist epitaphs at us amongst the constant whining that we're noobs. Like bruv you finished the game with 1 kill and 247 damage. I finished with 6 and 2,414. It's not great for either of us but wind your neck in lol.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I was initially stuck in Platinum too, a couple of months ago. But when I came back to it a week or so ago, I found it much easier to climb it and reached Diamond. That's because all the people that made Platinum too hard were all gone to Diamond and more already, which is why I don't like the mid-season system, as it won't allow for that to have time to happen, and I'll always be struggling as soon as I reach Platinum cause I'll be playing with people who should already be in Diamond/Master already.

That's a really interesting point. I figured start of season would be hardest because of skill compression but never thought that bottlenecks would exist at different levels even a month later season starts.

I'm of two minds then. Sad because I won't get to climb higher if my experience would be similar now, but also glad because I wouldn't need to take a break for several months in ranked to continue the journey.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
If they're going to add another sniper to the pool, they should vault the Triple Take.
the annoying thing is, i don't see them vaulting any weapons when bespoke skins exist. Fortnite can chuck out weapons as weapon skins aren't tied to individual weapons, but could you imagine the blowback if Apex tried to get rid of a weapon someone's bought several £15 skins for?

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
but also glad because I wouldn't need to take a break for several months in ranked to continue the journey.

But the breaks are sometimes necessary. At least they are to me. I need pauses from Apex in order to not be completely tired and fed up with it and to be able to come back to it refreshed and enjoy it fully again. And I liked that I was able to break away from the game for a month thanks to the current system. But apparently EA doesn't like this at all and is pushing for players to be engaged in the game ad nauseam, and I'm not sure that's worth my time to be treated like this.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
the annoying thing is, i don't see them vaulting any weapons when bespoke skins exist. Fortnite can chuck out weapons as weapon skins aren't tied to individual weapons, but could you imagine the blowback if Apex tried to get rid of a weapon someone's bought several £15 skins for?
Forgot about that, yeah, no way they're gonna vault any guns.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If they're going to add another sniper to the pool, they should vault the Triple Take.
Why would they vault the second best shotgun in the game.

9d5.png

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
But the breaks are sometimes necessary. At least they are to me. I need pauses from Apex in order to not be completely tired and fed up with it and to be able to come back to it refreshed and enjoy it fully again. And I liked that I was able to break away from the game for a month thanks to the current system. But apparently EA doesn't like this at all and is pushing for players to be engaged in the game ad nauseam, and I'm not sure that's worth my time to be treated like this.

Another well thought out point. A casual/semi-casual player will only devote so much time to any game. Now I wonder if these changes will actually burn out core gamers more than incentivize them to remain active.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if my rank will drop again at the start of the 2nd part of the season, if I haven't played ranked at all during the 1st part of the eason. Imagine that happening, that'd be such a shitty move. Truly this tactic of splitting ranked season in two is really screwing us up on all accounts.
The trick is to realize how pointless all ranked rewards are and embrace the easier games you get at lower ranks.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if both Revenant and the Volt SMG are a part of Season 4 as well. Like I said earlier, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to spill everything on a dev stream. Plus, due to Season 2's delay + Respawn's winter break, we technically would be on Season 5 by now.

Thing in the air lands, destroying Capitol with Revenant emerging?

Oct 31, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if both Revenant and the Volt SMG are a part of Season 4 as well. Like I said earlier, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to spill everything on a dev stream. Plus, due to Season 2's delay + Respawn's winter break, we technically would be on Season 5 by now.

Thing in the air lands, destroying Capitol with Revenant emerging?

Yeah...

I'm hoping that they have a lot more to share, and I have to think that's the case. Adding a new charge sniper after Season 3's new weapon was a charge sniper just doesn't come across very well.

And Revenant reminds me of Ash from TF2. They mentioned in that stream that Forge is sponsored by Hammond Industries, so maybe Revenant is backed by Vinson Dynamics? Just some speculation.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Oh Yesss, stop teasing us, RSPN! (kidding, keep it up)
Yeah...

I'm hoping that they have a lot more to share, and I have to think that's the case. Adding a new charge sniper after Season 3's new weapon was a charge sniper just doesn't come across very well.

And Revenant reminds me of Ash from TF2. They mentioned in that stream that Forge is sponsored by Hammond Industries, so maybe Revenant is backed by Vinson Dynamics? Just some speculation.
I get the feeling Ash was a rogue Simulacrum and Revenant kinda strikes me as being the same. Maybe it isn't the best look for a company to associate with.

Btw, are those spoiler tags really warranted?

Oct 31, 2017
I get the feeling Ash was a rogue Simulacrum and Revenant kinda strikes me as being the same. Maybe it isn't the best look for a company to associate with.

Lol I just did it cause Heel did. I don't personally don't think so, but since they spoilered their thoughts I figured I would too!

And yeah, could be...

Heel

Oct 25, 2017

Lol I just did it cause Heel did. I don't personally don't think so, but since they spoilered their thoughts I figured I would too!

And yeah, could be...

Eh, figured some people like being surprised by that kind of stuff when they're officially revealed. I don't mind, personally.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So two heroes? And one of the guys has melee abilities? I was wondering when we'd get a melee weapon or a melee class. They could make it work. And it sounds fun as hell going around smacking people.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think that he will be there right from the start. Forge gets introduced in a trailer and at the end he gets killed be Revenant.

Have Forge do some sort of presser about joining the games since he's corporate sponsored(And we've seen the stage in game), pod in the sky drops down out pops Revenant and he gets taken out on TV.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I had a game last night where I got 8 kills and wiped a whole squad. I've never had that happen before. The randoms I was with kept inviting me to play with them but I had to ignore them because I usually just get one kill and die. Felt great to be good for one match haha.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I had a game last night where I got 8 kills and wiped a whole squad. I've never had that happen before. The randoms I was with kept inviting me to play with them but I had to ignore them because I usually just get one kill and die. Felt great to be good for one match haha.
Hahaha the impostor syndrome was kicking in I see.
But maybe your style worked with these randoms for a reason, I say go for it next time that happens.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Is there such a thing as being an extrovert in real life, but an introvert when playing online games? Because that's how I feel, lol. If I get invites from randoms I don't ever play with them again no matter how much we played well together. There's a fear that comes over me that I'll just be a potato from here on out if I continue playing with them lol. I'm generally outgoing in real life though. I love meeting new people and having conversation, but when I'm playing online I barely talk.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is there such a thing as being an extrovert in real life, but an introvert when playing online games? Because that's how I feel, lol. If I get invites from randoms I don't ever play with them again no matter how much we played well together. There's a fear that comes over me that I'll just be a potato from here on out if I continue playing with them lol. I'm generally outgoing in real life though. I love meeting new people and having conversation, but when I'm playing online I barely talk.

I think it can be a thing, considering I'm a bit of the opposite kind. Mostly introvert IRL (although I can act extroverted very well depending on the context), especially around big crowds, but I talk and talk and befriend tons of people while playing online games. I think I prefer tiny gatherings to big parties, and well, talking to 2 people online kinda look like a tiny gathering of sorts, so I'm in my element, somewhat. And If I have enough of it and my socializing energy is depleted and I need rest & time alone in order to replenish it, I can just log off in a matter of a couple of seconds.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm not going to let myself get hyped into thinking there will be two Legends this season. I was certain that we'd have two this season (and the season before that, and the season before that). I'll just assume we're getting one and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Early on in ranked I did join up with some people I met on discord. This was around the time I was slaying it, before SBMM was really in the game. As soon as I got in with the people I started playing terribly. I went from 10 kill/1500 dmg games to being lucky to get 1 kill and 200 dmg. My play style changed, I was nervous and not pushing, I kept making bad decisions to try and help teammates when I shouldn't have. I haven't played with a squad since.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Early on in ranked I did join up with some people I met on discord. This was around the time I was slaying it, before SBMM was really in the game. As soon as I got in with the people I started playing terribly. I went from 10 kill/1500 dmg games to being lucky to get 1 kill and 200 dmg. My play style changed, I was nervous and not pushing, I kept making bad decisions to try and help teammates when I shouldn't have. I haven't played with a squad since.
tumblr_mig57e5PBt1ri46xbo1_400.gifv

I never ran into anybody worth remembering in pubs, but in ranked I've made a few contacts the further up I go.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see that many people running Charge Rifles anymore since its multiple nerfs. If there's a weapon to vault it's the Longbow. Nobody uses that thing anymore and there's a new Sniper coming too.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
KING'S CANYON IS BACK

tenor.gif

I don't see that many people running Charge Rifles anymore since its multiple nerfs. If there's a weapon to vault it's the Longbow. Nobody uses that thing anymore and there's a new Sniper coming too.
thats true actually. i guess i was getting a bit of whiplash from the latest event where, yeah, folks were running around with a charge rifle left and right.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but think that releasing potentially two new legends at the start of the season is dumb when some older legends could use some substantial balance changes instead of being shoehorned with minor buffs every other patch. Crypto felt pretty lackluster at launch, and even with his recent "buffs," he still doesn't feel great. He needs some fundamental change to compensate for the fact that being down one man always piloting his drone isn't very helpful at all.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Can't help but think that releasing potentially two new legends at the start of the season is dumb when some older legends could use some substantial balance changes instead of being shoehorned with minor buffs every other patch. Crypto felt pretty lackluster at launch, and even with his recent "buffs," he still doesn't feel great. He needs some fundamental change to compensate for the fact that being down one man always piloting his drone isn't very helpful at all.
i've always felt that there needs to be a mode that you can toggle on where your drone trails you nearby so you don't have to be constantly switching perspectives. this would of course be balanced in the fact that this will give your position away a lot easier, but i feel it's a more versatile way of being able to use his drone. as it stands he's easily my least favourite legend to play as, largely in part because his main abilities take control away from the actual player.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
i've always felt that there needs to be a mode that you can toggle on where your drone trails you nearby so you don't have to be constantly switching perspectives. this would of course be balanced in the fact that this will give your position away a lot easier, but i feel it's a more versatile way of being able to use his drone. as it stands he's easily my least favourite legend to play as, largely in part because his main abilities take control away from the actual player.
I wanted an option to push a button and send his drone to his target location. Your idea is also good. There needs to be some way to use the drone without having to lose control of your character because that kind of gameplay mechanic doesn't work for how fast-paced this game plays out.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I love this idea!!! Have it constantly circling around you. It would be powerful because you would be able to see who's around you while still in a fight. It would give away your position though and still be able to get shot down so it would equal out.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
god, i love the devotion as Gibby. helped clinch a ranked win with 8 kills (that's high for me!). shout out to the prowler too, another one of my favourites that doesn't get enough love that was invaluable during that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.