• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
There won't be any challenges. Respawn said that when Season 1 released. There may be challenges in a future Battle Pass, but not in Season 1.

New Weapons? I only know about the L-Star... and that will be only an airdrop weapon... so it's really rare.

A new character is the least they can release. When season 1 is finished we have 1 regular new weapon, 1 rare weapon, 2 new weapons, 0 challenges, 0 changes to the map, possibly 0 exciting new skins or calling cards, communication reduced to a minimum... and all in all a extremely underwhelming Battle Pass.

Of a game that just released. I challenge you to find any game with more added content in 2 months.

L star is coming but also probably a new grenade\gadget. Other fully rendered weapons have been found, but we do not know if they arriving soon ( they are ready though)

We have Watson coming and probably a map modification ( the Arena is going to be an actual arena)

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I do think they need to add something to keep me invested. I have come to understand why the Battle Pass isn't great. A lot of it is just unlockables that I probably won't use (Season 1: win/kills/damages; Season 1 opening lines; most of the skins). And they stop awarding boxes after 100? That is kind of BS. I am still loving this game, and although it's success has obviously caught Respawn off-guard I think they should try to state what their plan is forward. Whether it's events, new characters or just something completely different.
I don't understand the "caught off-guard by success" argument

If the game was less successful, the quality of S1 rewards and reward cycle would be *even more important*. The launch window is critical! If the Battle Pass launched when the game wasn't a hit, its purpose would be to attract new players and that's done with quality attractive rewards- not stat trackers

I think the quality of the BP and their gameplay reward loop can be criticized completely independent of their anticipated playerbase. It would be a disappointment under any scenario

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Of a game that just released. I challenge you to find any game with more added content in 2 months.

Assassins Creed Odyssey released it's first DLC Episode with a new story, new characters and new weapons 2 months after release.

And looking through the Patch notes of the first 2 months of Fortnite: It was 2 weeks in a testing... after those 2 weeks they added Scoped Assault Rifle, Zapotron, Tactical SMG and Supply drops.
One month in they added Slurp Juice, Skull Troopers skin, Ghoul Trooper skin, Reaper Pickaxe skin, daily challenges, Rocket Launcher seasonal halloween skin, new storm effects.
Two month after release they added the Bush, Launch Pad and the 50v50 mode.

And those are only the big changes, not counting smaller changes that happened to the UI, new menus, quality of life improvements or small map changes.

Apex is still my favorite BR game, but damn... Fortnite has really delivered.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Assassins Creed Odyssey released it's first DLC Episode with a new story, new characters and new weapons 2 months after release.

And looking through the Patch notes of the first 2 months of Fortnite: It was 2 weeks in a testing... after those 2 weeks they added Scoped Assault Rifle, Zapotron, Tactical SMG and Supply drops.
One month in they added Slurp Juice, Skull Troopers skin, Ghoul Trooper skin, Reaper Pickaxe skin, daily challenges, Rocket Launcher seasonal halloween skin, new storm effects.
Two month after release they added the Bush, Launch Pad and the 50v50 mode.

And those are only the big changes, not counting smaller changes that happened to the UI, new menus, quality of life improvements or small map changes.

Apex is still my favorite BR game, but damn... Fortnite has really delivered.
I was obviously talking about multiplayer games.

And Apex released with far more weapons and content than Fortnite, which litterally had 8 weapons or so.

https://uk.ign.com/wikis/fortnite/Updates_and_Patch_Notes

And looking at this it was all cut content, it released almost immediately.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to comment on whether or not they've dropped the ball wrt content, but when comparing to Fortnite, you should keep in mind the vastly different patching philosophies.

From what I can tell, Epic just continuously keep making reactionary changes and as long as the changes don't introduce new major bugs, pushing them to live servers asap. If I understand it right, this has for example turned shotguns into such powerhouses that you'd be an idiot not to always use one if possible. Same for new content like guns - they make em, test for bugs then push them to live servers right away. There isn't a meticulously balanced meta, just a playground of constant stream of new stuff.

From what they have communicated, Respawn seem to laboriously test their balance tweaks, even the seemingly minor ones, before pushing them to live servers. They clearly have a very specific vision here and you're simply not going to get constant stream of updates you'd get with Fortnite because they don't want the meta to bounce around all the time. They don't want situations where a seemingly minor tweak to a moderately useful weapon turns it into a super OP weapon for a week or two before it gets fixed or something like that.

Whether you like Epic or Respawn's approach more is obviously up the individual. I'm actually kind of torn, personally.

Last edited:

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
We could very well be close to different modes. If you look at what origin says you are playing it changed from "Multiplayer on King's Canyon" to "Squads on King's Canyon" sometime last week.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
What they need is communication. It's fine to have more thought out content, but they need to tell us what's the road map, even without dates. Tell us what is coming this season or in the year.

Communication is key in Gaas

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm not going to comment on whether or not they've dropped the ball wrt content, but when comparing to Fortnite, you should keep in mind the vastly different patching philosophies.

From what I can tell, Epic just continuously keep making reactionary changes and as long as the changes don't introduce new major bugs, pushing them to live servers asap. If I understand it right, this has for example turned shotguns into such powerhouses that you'd be an idiot not to always use one if possible.

From what they have communicated, Respawn seem to laboriously test their balance tweaks, even the seemingly minor ones, before pushing them to live servers. They clearly have a very specific vision here and you're simply not going to get constant strean of updates you'd get with Fortnite because they don't want the meta to bounce around all the time. They don't want situations where a seemingly minor tweak to a moderately useful weapon turns it into a super OP weapon for a week or two before it gets fixed or something like that.

Whether you like Epic or Respawn's approach more is obviously up the individual. I'm actually kind of torn, personally.

Of course they released much bullshit for Fortnite and took out weapons or items soon after they introduced them... also they had some very questionable balancing changes. But he just asked for a game that released more content in it's first two month and I delivered him a game.

By the way a thing I really love about Apex is the weapon balancing. Besides the P2020 and the Mozambique every weapon is viable at some point of the game and there is nothing really overpowered. Of course there are complaints that the Wingman, the Spitfire and the R99 overpowered, but I really feel that there is a really good variety of gunfavorites througout the community and there's not the one meta that everybody has to play to win a gunfight.

I'm turning 35 this year and I started playing multiplayer games in 1999 with Q3A, so I know and I'm used to a time when you just played a game for fun and not for some skins, numbers or challenges. Back there there haven't been frequent updates or communication with the community. Apex is fun as hell and I can still just play for fun... but honestly: I love to unlock some nice looking skins. And no matter how much I like Apex it's just a big disappoint in that regard and I think if they did release a better season pass nobody would complain about the lack of content.
For example let's say they did release a pass where you unlock 2 new Legends skins (that are not only color swaps), 1 legendary skin for a weapon, 2 epic skins for weapons, 2 legendary calling cards and some crafting materials within the first 30 or 40 tiers everybody would be happy that there is more content and feel that the pass is much more worth it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Of course they released much bullshit for Fortnite and took out weapons or items soon after they introduced them... also they had some very questionable balancing changes. But he just asked for a game that released more content in it's first two month and I delivered him a game.

Yeah sure, I'm really just adding to your conversation rather than trying to argue with either one of you.

We could very well be close to different modes. If you look at what origin says you are playing it changed from "Multiplayer on King's Canyon" to "Squads on King's Canyon" sometime last week.

Huh, I hadn't noticed. I hope you're right!

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn is great at making amazing, innovative and fun games. They're less good at maintaining those games after launch. Their games are amazing, but they get stale quick and they often have issues that linger for months or years. I worry that it will be the same for this game. Maybe I want their games to be something they are not, and each game has its own issues, but they rarely make the changes that other developers make to keep their game fresh and shake things up.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

From what I can tell, Epic just continuously keep making reactionary changes and as long as the changes don't introduce new major bugs, pushing them to live servers asap. If I understand it right, this has for example turned shotguns into such powerhouses that you'd be an idiot not to always use one if possible. Same for new content like guns - they make em, test for bugs then push them to live servers right away. There isn't a meticulously balanced meta, just a playground of constant stream of new stuff.

From what they have communicated, Respawn seem to laboriously test their balance tweaks, even the seemingly minor ones, before pushing them to live servers. They clearly have a very specific vision here and you're simply not going to get constant stream of updates you'd get with Fortnite because they don't want the meta to bounce around all the time. They don't want situations where a seemingly minor tweak to a moderately useful weapon turns it into a super OP weapon for a week or two before it gets fixed or something like that.

I want to believe that but then why do we still have OP AF wingman.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I want to believe that but then why do we still have OP AF wingman.

They aren't infallible superhumans, they can still make mistakes or draw the wrong conclusions from testing or data.

That said, I don't really agree on Wingman being OP, much less OP as fuck. It's obviously still very good, but I can't remember when I last actually died to a Wingman.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They aren't infallible superhumans, they can still make mistakes or draw the wrong conclusions from testing or data.

That said, I don't really agree on Wingman being OP, much less OP as fuck. It's obviously still very good, but I can't remember when I last actually died to a Wingman.

I die to wingman a lot every day.
The firerate + mag size + dmg if u hit is just too good combo.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people just deserve to get removed from your friends list.

This dude kept nagging me because I couldn't remember where his old deathbox was. Like, you see I'm fighting two other squads by myself to retrieve your tags to keep YOU in the game.

It isn't my responsibility to remember where you bled out at. Use your head and remember yourself while I'm carrying your ass to the respawn AGAIN.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I know new content takes time to produce and test, but the unlock system is total trash currently and whoever is in charge of that side of things at Respawn needs replacing with new more competent hires because its always trash across all their games. That's not a pipeline delay on new content thing either, thats a case of whoever there is saying this is how they should be doing it is completely wrong and they should add extra crate obtaining through win bonuses or SOMETHING. Something that could be done very quickly.

It's such a slow drip that it deters more casual players and prevents them from even getting on the hook to chase skins. You could argue that they're trying to push the freemium approach super hard and encourage people to give in and buy stuff, but even that is completely out of whack because you can't just buy Crafting materials and the store has its few slots taken up by guns for an entire week. The sheer fact many players are considering the Belgium exploit just to get crafting materials to finally get a chance at some skins points to how broken that entire facet of the game is. It's staggering how bad the Battle Pass is really in combination with the fact you can't earn crates past 100.

As time drags on it seems like they have no answers or plans to address this aspect. A shame because the game mechanic designers are on point while the reward system designers are trash tier.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I die to wingman a lot every day.
The firerate + mag size + dmg if u hit is just too good combo.

Maybe we have different playstyles. I tend to play as aggressively as I can with SMGs and when I get killed, it's most often by other SMG users or a Peacekeeper guy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The wingman is fine on console. People aren't gonna be satisfied until they nerf it to Mozambique status.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People here do realise that we have challenges, weapons and a second character coming this season, right?

L star is coming but also probably a new grenade\gadget. Other fully rendered weapons have been found, but we do not know if they arriving soon ( they are ready though)

We have Watson coming and probably a map modification ( the Arena is going to be an actual arena)
This argument has been bunk for a long time now. Any triple A developer releasing a BR into the BR market is no longer competing with those games from two years ago, theyre competing with those games now. People aren't going to play through the monotony because games from two years ago didn't also keep up with the modern content pipeline.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you on PC? I rarely get killed by the Wingman on PS4.

Yeah on PC.
Its even worse when more than 1 people in squad have it, there is just nothing you can do because you die so damn fast when multiple wingman are spamming your general direction and chunk 25% of your hp each hit and 50% if some bullet hits to head.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn should do what Blizzard did with Overwatch balance changes and patch accordingly with console vs pc in mind. Unless it happens already.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the first come first serve mentality with some people is ridiculous. Do all the work and revive the downed teammate just for him to run to the gold box so he can take the gold armor that you killed by yourself.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Not doing character XP anyone.
Wanna take a bit longer time before finishing the BP grind so I have something to do. 96 now :/

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

A serious question: IS THERE EVEN A META in Apex other than to rush enemies as fast as you can (and you can use most of the characters for this) and get in close quarters fights? I remember a kid awhile back in one of my games was complaining that our comp had "no survivability". I laughed at that because the game isn't even really designed where it's pushing team composition at all. For instance, having a good Lifeline on your team will certainly help out but it's not like you can't win without her.

In terms of weapons meta it seems like it's basically Spitfire / R99 or Wingman and R99 combos that are dominating everyone.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I did it!
1000/1000 Achievement Points in Apex Legends!
Last night I finally managed to win a game with Octane, my 8th character... Even though I only killed 1 guy, did 380 damage and revived both teammates in the match, it totally counts!

I can finally stop playing this game and give proper time to Sekiro.

$60 game casualties to Apex that I didn't buy (or bought and didn't play) since February 4th and probably never will include:
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Undertale (not $60, still a casualty)
Devil May Cry V
Anthem

Thanks Apex Legends! It's been fun! I mean it! I just wish I was better at you.
(Please don't add any more achievements)

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I did it!
1000/1000 Achievement Points in Apex Legends!
Last night I finally managed to win a game with Octane, my 8th character... Even though I only killed 1 guy, did 380 damage and revived both teammates in the match, it totally counts!

I can finally stop playing this game and give proper time to Sekiro.

$60 game casualties to Apex that I didn't buy (or bought and didn't play) since February 4th and probably never will include:
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Undertale (not $60, still a casualty)
Devil May Cry V
Anthem

Thanks Apex Legends! It's been fun! I mean it! I just wish I was better at you.
(Please don't add any more achievements)
That's rad, Congrats!!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's rare for knocked allies to be the "eyes" of a firefight.

If I'm down and bleeding and it's down to the wire, I have zero issues falling on the sword and actively crawling out to find and verbally tell my party what is happening. Or if my buddy is healing in a room I'll cheese the door for him.

I just think too many people are caught up with hiding off in a corner and hoping to not be seen instead of making the sacrifice of seeing what the enemy is doing and making the call outs. It could make a difference in your team surviving and winning.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Blah, I'm regretting the Legendary I crafted yesterday... I picked the bronze Wingman for the gameplay advantage without a scope and I've come across two blue Legendary ones today, they look so much nicer. :( The blue one was the one I wanted before I learned about the gameplay disadvantage, so decided against it. :/

ara

Oct 26, 2017
A serious question: IS THERE EVEN A META in Apex other than to rush enemies as fast as you can (and you can use most of the characters for this) and get in close quarters fights? I remember a kid awhile back in one of my games was complaining that our comp had "no survivability". I laughed at that because the game isn't even really designed where it's pushing team composition at all. For instance, having a good Lifeline on your team will certainly help out but it's not like you can't win without her.

In terms of weapons meta it seems like it's basically Spitfire / R99 or Wingman and R99 combos that are dominating everyone.

Yeah that's fair, I probably should've said weapon balance since the meta is essentially just "get good at shooting and be aggressive".

Not that I really mind. Makes for a great game to just casually play to kill time. Never got into MOBAs and your Overwatches and such since I could never be arsed to read up on things, learn characters, actively communicate with randoms etc. Apex is the perfect middle ground for me, where you can definitely dominate when you're with 2 friends and you're all miked up and being tactical, but you can also fare very well just playing with randoms and relying on pings.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I know new content takes time to produce and test, but the unlock system is total trash currently and whoever is in charge of that side of things at Respawn needs replacing with new more competent hires because its always trash across all their games. That's not a pipeline delay on new content thing either, thats a case of whoever there is saying this is how they should be doing it is completely wrong and they should add extra crate obtaining through win bonuses or SOMETHING. Something that could be done very quickly.

It's such a slow drip that it deters more casual players and prevents them from even getting on the hook to chase skins. You could argue that they're trying to push the freemium approach super hard and encourage people to give in and buy stuff, but even that is completely out of whack because you can't just buy Crafting materials and the store has its few slots taken up by guns for an entire week. The sheer fact many players are considering the Belgium exploit just to get crafting materials to finally get a chance at some skins points to how broken that entire facet of the game is. It's staggering how bad the Battle Pass is really in combination with the fact you can't earn crates past 100.

As time drags on it seems like they have no answers or plans to address this aspect. A shame because the game mechanic designers are on point while the reward system designers are trash tier.
You're right. Progression is a consistent problem between Respawn's games and it's been solved already in the industry.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Blah, I'm regretting the Legendary I crafted yesterday... I picked the bronze Wingman for the gameplay advantage without a scope and I've come across two blue Legendary ones today, they look so much nicer. :( The blue one was the one I wanted before I learned about the gameplay disadvantage, so decided against it. :/

But, aren't the blue wingman kinda fat? It covers the screen.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's rare for knocked allies to be the "eyes" of a firefight.

If I'm down and bleeding and it's down to the wire, I have zero issues falling on the sword and actively crawling out to find and verbally tell my party what is happening. Or if my buddy is healing in a room I'll cheese the door for him.

I just think too many people are caught up with hiding off in a corner and hoping to not be seen instead of making the sacrifice of seeing what the enemy is doing and making the call outs. It could make a difference in your team surviving and winning.

Hell, I'll block doorways, and get in front of teammates so they can crouch behind me as I flash a shield to try and mess with opponents, lol.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Guess who started streaming Apex.
9K9TaJY.jpg

Lord Baelish (Little Finger) :D

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Gimme a C-3PO skin for Pathfinder

They're the same kind of wacky robots too, though I guess Pathfinder is a bit more murderous

Status
Not open for further replies.