• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I really hope they don't fuck up the event. Having the option to get around half the items by just playing every day seems like a great compromise and i'm sure people will in some circumstances spend more as they will want to unlock the full set.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they don't fuck up the event. Having the option to get around half the items by just playing every day seems like a great compromise and i'm sure people will in some circumstances spend more as they will want to unlock the full set.
Uh, you might want to read the last page of the thread...

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Uh, you might want to read the last page of the thread...

giphy.gif

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Haven't played Apex in three months (Didn't have a PS4 for those months because of financial reasons) Played yesterday and within four games I got a victory and it felt SO DAMN GOOD.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Apex up to #2 on Xbox most played. New season and map definitely seems to be resonating with people.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
The more I play of this map the less I like it.
It feels like the devs had a brainstorming session where people would shout out ideas for cool shit to use and they all got written down on a piece of paper. Then somehow the piece of paper made it's way to the lead designers and they just crammed all of the ideas into the one map.
Lava! Ice! A train! A city!
It's too big, there's no fluidity to it, and the areas in between the focal points quite often tend to be flat, barren expanses without much cover.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The more I play of this map the less I like it.
It feels like the devs had a brainstorming session where people would shout out ideas for cool shit to use and they all got written down on a piece of paper. Then somehow the piece of paper made it's way to the lead designers and they just crammed all of the ideas into the one map.
Lava! Ice! A train! A city!
It's too big, there's no fluidity to it, and the areas in between the focal points quite often tend to be flat, barren expanses without much cover.

I feel like the map is a direct response to the criticism that was leveled at the first map. The stark differences of environment counter the complaints that the first map was too brown/bland looking. The size of the map is larger because people complained the first map was too small (blaming that for all the third and fourth partying). The large amount of open expanses is intentional to make Sniper Rifles more relevant and break up the strategy of constant rushing that became dominant in the first map.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the map is a direct response to the criticism that was leveled at the first map. The stark differences of environment counter the complaints that the first map was too brown/bland looking. The size of the map is larger because people complained the first map was too small (blaming that for all the third and fourth partying). The large amount of open expanses is intentional to make Sniper Rifles more relevant and break up the strategy of constant rushing that became dominant in the first map.

I like it because it is so different. With a Charge rifle nerf, I think it will make it even better.

If you have that weapon it is so easy to laser people across the map making those ranged fights a little less Apex-y.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I like it because it is so different. With a Charge rifle nerf, I think it will make it even better.

If you have that weapon it is so easy to laser people across the map making those ranged fights a little less Apex-y.

I'm a bit torn on it. The positives are that long ranged fights are more viable and it makes the ring a bigger player in the match even early on. The negatives are the massive areas with no loot force teams to land in more concentrated areas across the map, which dilutes loot and causes most of it to be used early game, making late game a struggle even when teams have won their initial landing areas.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not adverse to the idea of bringing KC back one day but they shouldn't do it without a serious environmental texture overhaul. KC looks like Minecraft compared to Worlds Edge. The buildings and structures in WE are also leaps above everything in KC.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
lol, damn.
C'mon now...

Haha. I never usually comment on stupid things like grass and mountain textures but KC noticeably looks bad compared to what's going on in WE and it had virtually no variety in the different areas of the map like WE either. WE reminds me of a mash up of Death Stranding, Titanfall 2's campaign, Halo and Destiny to a degree. KC reminded me of Minecraft's color palette and Fortnite.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As time goes on I also have to echo the feeling that the map is a mixed bag. Visually it's amazing: everywhere you look it's a different biome, not unlike the map in Fortnite where there's all kinds of completely different styles in the various areas. The lava, the icy parts, the train, the tunnels... there's definitely some cool elements that largely change the visuals and the moment-to-moment gameplay. At the same time, what made the previous map special is that you could always run to cover, there was always a rock formation that would avoid half a mile snipes. This is not the case here: there's enormous pastures with basically nothing between you and the sniper who's ready to pop you, and while I can't say it has happened to me too many times, it's not something I like. There are too many areas where if you are attacked you are as good as dead, because finding cover is impossible. Also the building part can bring hilarious finishes, but it's also not particularly well balanced there, plus these supercomplex constructions largely favour camping - something that was usually detrimental in the previous map.

There's a lot of good and a lot of map about this map, that's for sure. I've had some glorious finishes and I improved my kill record too, so I'd say I am faring better on it, and yet I don't think it's necessarily an improvement gameplay-wise. The variety added by it is neat because the train and the tall buildings alone bring never seen before situations. But the skyscrapers' downside is that people treat them as Tilted from Fortnite, and in my experience like half the lobby always drops there, plus the final circle seems to get on one of the two areas with the buildings every second match or so. It's a bit too building-centered, which is not somewhat Apex should be imho.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I've still found very few games reach the later rings. Normally the ring is pretty big when I am down to the final 3 or 4 teams.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What's funny is that it feels like I get third parties all the time in the new map after the first circle. The tightness of the old map forced you to keep it moving since there wasn't as much negative space and there was a bigger chance of a team ambushing you simply by luck on their end. Because of the lack of hiding spaces even camping there felt risky since the lack of buildings.

Since there's all this space and no cover you can just chill and watch the fight and just engage from mid-long range weakening both before moving in, particularly with the new charge rifle. The risk is very little compared to the old map where you actually had to physically place yourself in the fight to do real damage because the areas were so tight.

It also feels that it would be very easy to just leave your team and hide your way into top 3's with no effort on a consistent basis now. That said it would be harder to pull off the win because you aren't going to outsnipe a 3 players and a surprise bumrush is impossible with the flat lands.

I don't mind it though, but I do wish that the focus on long distance playing was more balanced. With the wonky gear drops not only are you worried about being deficient in ways you weren't in Season 1 and 2, now if you can't come across a solid long distance weapon you're also screwed. All snipers shouldda got buffed, 301 back to being more accurate, etc

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I think the map is great, but I really think they should crank the loot knob up a good bit. Would love to see how it plays in cases where everyone lands and finds relatively decent guns like Flatlines, R3's, and R99's off the drop. There seems to be way too many P2020 and Moz's -- which aren't bad guns if you can find the hop up, but you rarely do.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
After giving it a week instead of just snapping to conclusions, I'm definitely glad the new map has a different play style than the old one. Kings Canyon isn't just disappearing, both maps will have changes in POIs, so why not differentiate them significantly?

I think a point should be raised that all the longtime players eventually just knew the loot layout on Kings Canyon like the back of their hand and could easily optimize their looting route from point-to-point, room-to-room, bin-to-bin. I highly doubt anyone feels like they're at that point already on the new map.

Personally, I'm wasting a ton of time on the map because I don't know the POIs or building layouts very well at all. Not surprised at all that I feel half looted in comparison. That's just something that comes with playtime.

The same could be said with knowing the map well enough to not get "caught out" on a map designed for ranged engagements, too. I feel like I'm slowly acclimating instead of being that guy who gets caught running across the train tracks. It also feels inevitable that this pain point will be addressed in part by a nerf to the Charge Rifle.

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
While I think the charge rifle would be considered OP anyways, on this map it really feels ridiculous. The long sight lines, 0 bullet drop and damage just make anything else redundant. Why would you bother trying to land head shots with a Longbow when you can just point and zap.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, won't be giving them a cent this time either.

Yes I have watched him a few times, but watching now I just noticed... he doesn't claw! I have no idea how he shreds PC players without clawing.

I'm curious how many controller players use claw vs. don't. It's a must for me.
AFAIK the amount of people who claw in FPS games is close to 0. If someone absolutely has to keep right thumb on the stick at all times, they usually just rebind jump and/or crouch.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing more rewarding than doing the impossible in the eyes of your opponents...lol

tFmtOCjl.jpg

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Ok, i'll admit it...I'm shit with the charge rifle. Its one of those guns I seem to put so many hits on people without knocking them and I peak for half a second and get my head blown off I even got insta killed with it while I was using mirages Ult and was jumping around . Fuck that gun. I'd be happy if they get rid of it. It makes every other sniper totally redundant.

Last edited:

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Picked up my first vault key today! Our squad of randoms rolled to victory with 16 kills. Great feeling!

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I lied, I played ranked today. And I managed to climb to Gold 2, met another woman who is quite a good player, and we played a bunch of ranked together, and ended up winning the last game I played tonight. The highs and lows of Apex Legends, heh.

Is there a key in every flying bot?

My guess is that they appear if you shoot the gold bot? When I looted a Lifeline I just killed tonight, there was a key and it looked red (so no way to see what item rank it was). It was endgame though, so there was no point in opening the vault (which probably was in the storm anyway). I'm not really sure though.

Last edited:

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I lied, I played ranked today. And I managed to climb Gold 2, met another woman who is quite a good player, and we played a bunch of ranked together, and ended up winning the last game I played tonight. The highs and lows of Apex Legends, heh.

My guess is that they appear if you shoot the gold bot? When I looted a Lifeline I just killed tonight, there was a key and it looked red (so no way to see what item rank it was). It was endgame though, so there was no point in opening the vault (which probably was in the storm anyway). I'm not really sure though.

i thought that too, but mine came when I shot a purple.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Twice in a row I've caught someone camping the respawn point at geyser. It's incredible some of the lengths people will go to to level up.

Edit: and carbine is now a trash tier gun, probably one of the worse guns in the game slightly bettering the p2020 and Mozambique. Shame really because it was once my go too weapon of choice.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First match of the night. Can't play immediately because it needs to download a patch. One of my weeklies is related to ranked, let's go ranked then. I'm jumpmaster and I ping a location but both my teammates drop solo to different locations. I get killed by two people whose landing was not visible or audible. Since they're idiots and landed really far, they will not recover my banner. Now I am spectating them because otherwise I lose rank.

Good start.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The timer punishment it gives you for quiting games is a joke. I'm suppose to watch some clown run around with my banner for 20 minutes while he makes no attempt to save me? Fuck that I'd rather turn the game off and play something else.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a path skin.
That design more or less seems to match up with the design for Revenant in this rumor/leak/whatever you wanna call it. The description for the new LTM also seems to hint at it being hosted by a "mysterious figure," so I think the teases for him'll begin soon enough.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah I don't think that it's a Pathfinder skin. The design is way too different from any Pathfinder skins out there, and not only that, but the attitude and behavior is unlike Pathfinder's as well. It looks much more feminine, having legs crossed while standing, and kind of an hourglass shape. Might be the feminine counterpart to Pathfinder. It could still be a skin though, but I'd be surprised if it were? Unless it's for the Halloween event and this is what Undead Pathfinder looks like, but then looks like way too much work (it's another 3D model entirely) to be it.

Also, can we talk about the fact they never ever gave us, either via battlepasses or events, a decent skin for the R99? It's my most-used gun, and mine looks like crap, because apparently someone at EA thinks that what we all truly want is yet another R301 Legendary/Epic skin (I have three Legendaries now, all from battlepass & event, and the new event is gonna give yet another R301 skin). Enough, please put a Legendary R99 skin somewhere, at long last!

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
had a daily for kills with Bangalore, ended up winning the match (while respawning both teammates lol), got her final kill badge, and did a shotgun damage daily too lol

havoc + turbocharger is underrated imho

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
OK I think Im wrong about the 3rd partying. It feels like the map has some major 3rd partying, and I cant tell why. Not that it shouldnt happen ever, but it feels fairly common to have 4 teams suddenly converge on each other at the worst times

Is it the circle? Perhaps the funnel points? This game needs to add challenges like "Kill 2 enemies at Location X" to better spread players

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can buy it being Revenant.

I also saw a video on allegedly leaked abilities. It sounds like an interesting character. But keep in mind these are speculations based on game files.

For one, its almost like 2 kits in one. Not sure if you can switch on the fly or have to pick which version you use in character select. But theres a normal stance and shadow version.

Normal Version Tac: Poison knife. Reveals enemies location if it hits them until they heal.
Tactical 2: Poison bomb
Passive: crouch faster and climb higher
Ult: Death Totem - something like a mobile respawn beacon. Whoever uses it won't get killed or downed but instead teleports back to the beacon with 20 health.

When Revenant uses the beacon, she goes into her shadow form and gets new abilities. (it would be cool if you had to die to do this)

Tactical 1: Move silent and fast for 6 seconds. Cooldown resets on kill.
Tactical 2: Shadow step, send out a shadow, press again to teleport to it.
Passive: same, crouch fast, climb high
Ult: Shadow door: create a door through walls that last 5 seconds.
The data miner thinks these are just concepts and will be tuned but thats the general gist of the hero.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Had 8 wins in a row and cracked 1000 overall wins tonight. During that streak, one game I somehow redeployed inside a piece of ice or something, which was out of bounds, couldn't get out and my death box was out of reach. In another one the game crashed for a teammate, still kept the streak going through both. The most fun I've had this season.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think that it's a Pathfinder skin. The design is way too different from any Pathfinder skins out there, and not only that, but the attitude and behavior is unlike Pathfinder's as well. It looks much more feminine, having legs crossed while standing, and kind of an hourglass shape. Might be the feminine counterpart to Pathfinder. It could still be a skin though, but I'd be surprised if it were? Unless it's for the Halloween event and this is what Undead Pathfinder looks like, but then looks like way too much work (it's another 3D model entirely) to be it.

Also, can we talk about the fact they never ever gave us, either via battlepasses or events, a decent skin for the R99? It's my most-used gun, and mine looks like crap, because apparently someone at EA thinks that what we all truly want is yet another R301 Legendary/Epic skin (I have three Legendaries now, all from battlepass & event, and the new event is gonna give yet another R301 skin). Enough, please put a Legendary R99 skin somewhere, at long last!

The iron crown R99 is really nice, if RNGesus blessed you anyway.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Had 8 wins in a row and cracked 1000 overall wins tonight. During that streak, one game I somehow redeployed inside a piece of ice or something, which was out of bounds, couldn't get out and my death box was out of reach. In another one the game crashed for a teammate, still kept the streak going through both. The most fun I've had this season.
How do u deal with getting 3rd partied

After giving it a week instead of just snapping to conclusions, I'm definitely glad the new map has a different play style than the old one. Kings Canyon isn't just disappearing, both maps will have changes in POIs, so why not differentiate them significantly?

I think a point should be raised that all the longtime players eventually just knew the loot layout on Kings Canyon like the back of their hand and could easily optimize their looting route from point-to-point, room-to-room, bin-to-bin. I highly doubt anyone feels like they're at that point already on the new map.

Personally, I'm wasting a ton of time on the map because I don't know the POIs or building layouts very well at all. Not surprised at all that I feel half looted in comparison. That's just something that comes with playtime.

The same could be said with knowing the map well enough to not get "caught out" on a map designed for ranged engagements, too. I feel like I'm slowly acclimating instead of being that guy who gets caught running across the train tracks. It also feels inevitable that this pain point will be addressed in part by a nerf to the Charge Rifle.

For sure, Im glad they did a big map. KC needs an overhaul still IMO. Not necessarily the POIs or terraforming the areas, but just ironing out some areas. For example, there are too many samey river areas and Bunker really should be redesigned to be better than a meme drop.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Finally started using the charge rifle after falling victim of it too many times.

Yeah, that thing is ridiculous. Melts golden shields like nothing, and barely needs any upgrading to boot.

It badly needs nerfing, but I sure as hell am going to use the hell out of it until they drop that patch.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Can't wait for muder bot. Exact kinda legend I'd love to main but I know he's gonna be popular/slam picked. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.