• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Serious question,

how is it when I pop mirages Ult I still sometimes get players that will pin point my exact location with characters that aren't bloodhound or crypto?

Everytime I see a mirage pop it he just about becomes invisible, so it can be really frustrating when I get longbowed to the head as I'm running away from a situation.

Edit: Also, played one standard game this morning and I saw at least 3 teams that all had the predator drop trail. That thing that shroud said about teams only getting matched with teams is bullshit. Queuing as a solo player right now is a joke.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question,

how is it when I pop mirages Ult I still sometimes get players that will pin point my exact location with characters that aren't bloodhound or crypto?

Everytime I see a mirage pop it he just about becomes invisible, so it can be really frustrating when I get longbowed to the head as I'm running away from a situation.

Edit: Also, played one standard game this morning and I saw at least 3 teams that all had the predator drop trail. That thing that shroud said about teams only getting matched with teams is bullshit. Queuing as a solo player right now is a joke.
Some surfaces have visible footstep effects. Splashes or dustups.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Nah... Rarely played last month or so and got a win second match. Ranked is much more challenging than unranked on PS4.

Going to move up in ranked when I get more time but unranked I'm still not feeling has a hidden mmr. Whenever I play ranked it's a difference in styles of play. Unranked you can roll past teams compared to rank. I could see more people hitting a level of ranked they are satisfied with and moving back to unranked. Also it's not uncommon for people to use unranked for warmup matches until they jump into ranked making unranked seem more challenging as the season goes on. Maybe they should display the ranked level in unranked to help with this detail.

Also not surprised on the secret spot... There was an area outside of the pit in Kings canyon that 80% of the time had gold items. We called it gold town. It was basically a no name area that had one and possibly multiple gold items most matches. Surprised it never really caught on more than it did.

I think non-ranked is now tied to ranked SBMM in some way. It feels like it's using some metrics from ranked and it makes sense since they wouldn't want Apex Predators stomping on Bronze players all day. Most new players would quit the game forever if that were case. When I play non-ranked with my diamond friends the matches are way sweatier than playing non-ranked with my friends in gold.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I think non-ranked is now tied to ranked SBMM in some way. It feels like it's using some metrics from ranked and it makes sense since they wouldn't want Apex Predators stomping on Bronze players all day. Most new players would quit the game forever if that were case. When I play non-ranked with my diamond friends the matches are way sweatier than playing non-ranked with my friends in gold.

It wouldn't be unheard of and totally makes sense for new players. I think DotA did something similar but the gap allowed for unranked MMR was way larger than ranked mode.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Pubs are absolutely DISGUSTING now.

For the hundredth time, Bronze tier players aka brand new accounts have always had their own bot lobbies. After you hit level 10 or so, you're in the same pool of players as everyone else. That means you could see a 4k/20 Predator here and there, but it's random. Since there's very few of those, when it's random, you'll very rarely see them in game. Most of your enemies will be randoms from level 10-100, or in other words, average. Now everyone I go up against has 4k/20 and you're thrown against full pre made squads as a solo as well. Actually unplayable. But don't just take my word for it, you're free to check what top tier players are tweeting. The same thing I'm talking about here.

Full disclosure, this might only affect players with above average stats and the 1.02 KDR players might have a different experience.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
It wouldn't be unheard of and totally makes sense for new players. I think DotA did something similar but the gap allowed for unranked MMR was way larger than ranked mode.

Right now, it seems like this is happening in non-ranked:

- If you're a low skill player (bronze, silver, etc) who is running duo with a high skill player (diamond. apex), it'll automatically match you against higher skilled / diamond squads - sometimes full squads.

- If you're a solo high skill player it seems like it's often matching you with two lower skilled players to offset your skill level and also help the lower skill players get a win. This makes sense because the more new players who win, means the more these new players will want to keep playing the game.

-

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Full disclosure, this might only affect players with above average stats and the 1.02 KDR players might have a different experience.

As a 1.02 KDR player (I cry but it's the truth, don't judge, I just suck), I'm lumped with level thirty something players who started the game two weeks ago and play in extremely atrocious stupid inane ways, and it's often not fun at all as a result. I guess either because Respawn think I'm too much of a noob too and lumps me in with all the actual noobs, or because Respawn wants me to be the one who saves the team. But at some point, some people just can't be saved, I gotta be honest. A lot of them. Anyway, at least I don't get stomped by 10k kills Predator players so... yay?

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
As a 1.02 KDR player (I cry but it's the truth, don't judge, I just suck), I'm lumped with level thirty something players who started the game two weeks ago and play in extremely atrocious stupid inane ways, and it's often not fun at all as a result. I guess either because Respawn think I'm too much of a noob too and lumps me in with all the actual noobs, or because Respawn wants me to be the one who saves the team. But at some point, some people just can't be saved, I gotta be honest. A lot of them. Anyway, at least I don't get stomped by 10k kills Predator players so... yay?

Out of all the random numbers I could've picked... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to target anyone specifically. I guess nobody can escape bad randoms. The main change now is that it's downright impossible to do well with randoms, before it was "just" very hard... I've even gotten a couple Predators as randoms today, it doesn't matter, all the other teams push together like they're communicating in a party, as a trio, which they probably are. The results are that I've had like five games in a row with one or two kills and 1000 damage... You knock one but the other two don't run in one by one, like random/average players, they're organized, coordinated and there's nothing you can do when you're outnumbered.

I'm just really annoyed and disappointed with the state the game's in. I've been playing since day 1 and this is the worst it's been. I get to choose between playing ranked against Diamonds/Predators and playing ranked against Diamonds/Predators with no RP on the line, but gameplay is the same ("casual" matches). I'm not someone who likes to compete in every single match and work super hard for every kill, so there's barely any fun to be had. And that makes me sad.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pubs are absolutely DISGUSTING now.

For the hundredth time, Bronze tier players aka brand new accounts have always had their own bot lobbies. After you hit level 10 or so, you're in the same pool of players as everyone else. That means you could see a 4k/20 Predator here and there, but it's random. Since there's very few of those, when it's random, you'll very rarely see them in game. Most of your enemies will be randoms from level 10-100, or in other words, average. Now everyone I go up against has 4k/20 and you're thrown against full pre made squads as a solo as well. Actually unplayable. But don't just take my word for it, you're free to check what top tier players are tweeting. The same thing I'm talking about here.

Is there really any point in playing pubs if SBMM is a thing? I'm content Diamond is the best I can do. And that was always the case in any shooter. Overwatch? Peaked in diamond. Siege? Peaked at diamond. Gears? Diamond again. Just seems frustrating because to keep up in casual I'd have to have the same mindset as I do in ranked. May as well just roll the dice for the RP imo.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Is there really any point in playing pubs if SBMM is a thing? I'm content Diamond is the best I can do. And that was always the case in any shooter. Overwatch? Peaked in diamond. Siege? Peaked at diamond. Gears? Diamond again. Just seems frustrating because to keep up in casual I'd have to have the same mindset as I do in ranked. May as well just roll the dice for the RP imo.

Yep, it's why I played some ranked today. At least it makes sense when I get destroyed there...

I hit Predator last season, but I vastly prefer casual matches, which aren't an option in this game currently. So I deleted the game for now, felt relieved.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Some others places saying there is SBMM now as well. Sucks. I just got Diamond and wanted more than anything to go to pubs and have some free flowing fun. Guess I'll finish up the BP and start playing only when the events come out.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The R99 still feels like the go to smg. Would've be surprised if it got another nerf. Been opting for the alternator and auto prowler anyway.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Some others places saying there is SBMM now as well. Sucks. I just got Diamond and wanted more than anything to go to pubs and have some free flowing fun. Guess I'll finish up the BP and start playing only when the events come out.
There was definitely some kind of SBMM even at the end of season 2, even if it was simple as a beginner's queue and normal queue. Had to create a new account near the end of S2, and it wildly oscillated between games where I could just steamroll over people, with my teammates being very early on in levels, and games with diamond and apex predator players. Now it's definitely stabilized, but I could tell the game was trying to figure out what games to place me in for that.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The game should calculate how far you are away from your team mates when they get knocked, those that increase that distance in that time should receive bans.

I don't mind noobs, and not so great players, not everyone is good at shooters, but fuck those guys that run away from you when your downed when you could easily be revived, it's just plain spiteful.

It's crazy that a game that would easily be my GOTY is not because of the people that play it. It reminds me of my days playing division.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The game should calculate how far you are away from your team mates when they get knocked, those that increase that distance in that time should receive bans.

I don't mind noobs, and not so great players, not everyone is good at shooters, but fuck those guys that run away from you when your downed when you could easily be revived, it's just plain spiteful.

I don't think that'd be fair though. Sometimes you have to get away and survive for the good of the team, and trying to revive and get banners can tactically be a pretty bad idea. And I'm not sure the game would be able to determine which situations was about survival, and which were about being spiteful. Although, I agree it sucks, and it happened to me too many times. I think what I dislike even more, is teammates willingly letting you be killed by enemies, to then loot your box because you had gear they were interested in. Or people spending so much time looting enemies while you're right in front of them waiting to be revived. One time, teammates begrudgingly revived me, and went back on looting while I just started to run because the ring was coming. They both died to the ring and whined about it. Some people really can't resist the appeal of death boxes, and I've seen it bite them in the ass more time than I can count.

Oct 25, 2017
That peacekeeper nerf did nothing. Peacekeeper + a sniper is still the best loadout and everyone is going for that. Now it takes them 100 milliseconds more to fire the second shot that downs you!

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
With Peacekeeper and Charge Rifle in their current state, they should probably just nerf the Wingman one more time instead.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017

It's crazy that a game that would easily be my GOTY is not because of the people that play it. It reminds me of my days playing division.
this is would be a terrible idea, esp if the teammate that gets knocked had solo dropped or decided to push into an enormous fight on their lonesome despite what their other teammates were doing. sometimes it's not feasible to go for the res on someone, particularly if it would mean that your whole squad will get wiped going for it - in ranked especially. and i'm not sure how the game would be able to tell when it's those other cases where a res is possible and teammates are just being lazy/spiteful.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah maybe a bad idea, but this last few days have been terrible.

Also, just got matched with 2 level 1 players in standard mode and the champion had 50 season 3 wins. I'm Platinum ranked with a 1.1kdr.

I don't think there is any matchmaking what so ever in standard mode.

Last edited:

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i've had such a bad time playing this today that i honestly feel like getting this off my chest:

bloodhound sucks (the worst of the og characters to play as by far)
crypto sucks (even more)
train yard sucks (and i'm really confused as to why it's such a popular place to land when the loot there is so awful and sporadic)
i miss duos already because getting third partied and fourth partied by full squads all the god damn time sucks

thank you for taking time to read my smol rant, now if you excuse me i need to go scream into a pillow

Last edited:

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, Trainyard is horrible. Even if you're lucky enough to find good loot when you drop, you'll have enemies on all sides and very little cover.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think in diamond people have played the game enough to know when you should pop a cell or two vs heal all the way during engagements. Or. Reviving vs not reviving. There is no reason to try to get a revive off mid battle in the middle of the open when you're not Lifeline. We didn't even have Bang smoke to cover us. Now you're stuck in the healing animation because you thought getting a spicy revive off rather than helping the only other teammate actively trying to end the fight so we can actually do shit safely. I died after downing one and making the other absolute calling out the one shot. Then he just strolls and zaps the teammate reviving.

Good grief what a stupid day compared to yesterday. I wouldn't be so pressed if it was a one time thing but in the 2 1/2 hour sesh I had today... I'm so confused how these dudes made it past bronze lol.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Bloodhound's ult is good for sniping but yeah they don't offer a lot right now

Lifeline, Gibraltar, and Mirage are still my personal faves to play as

Btmmayor

Jun 4, 2018
Is something happening this Tuesday? I just noticed that all the cosmetics in the item shop end on Tuesday. Thats not the normal schedule.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's unbelievable playing with randoms. What's strange is if I play with 2 randoms I usually do well... On the other hand if I have a party of 2 with 1 random, that 3rd is almost always horrendous. They'll jump on their own, they get caught way in the ring, they engage everyone regardless of situation and positioning. It has to be a matchmaking thing of some sort that if you have a party it will stick you with a lower tier teammate

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what they can do about randoms tbh. Perhaps some overwatch style thing where you have to get to a certain level before you can join in the real fights, maybe in a sort of single player training simulator that has bots and forces you to revive and work as a unit. Talking of overwatch it would be nice if after a game you could give tags to players such as 'good team mate' and 'great healer' and such.

This here is the last match I played yesterday which gives u an idea of the sort of people I'm getting matched with...

(Tried spam pinging at one stage, which I'm against, but I think he fell asleep so I wanted to wake him up)

Both players pinged the building I was in and neither dropped there (I didn't ping anything) one got downed and I tried my best to get to him, I burst out laughing when the feed switched to my one remaining team mate.

Edit: bonus GIF for you guys to show how hilarious solo queue matchmaking is right now on xbox. (If there is any sort of matchmaking )

YellowSpectacularGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

I get matched with a player that hasn't hit level 25 and a guy who doesn't have a single win in season 2 and the champion squad doesn't have a player with under 700 season 3 wins........*sobs*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm not sure what they can do about randoms tbh. Perhaps some overwatch style thing where you have to get to a certain level before you can join in the real fights, maybe in a sort of single player training simulator that has bots and forces you to revive and work as a unit. Talking of overwatch it would be nice if after a game you could give tags to players such as 'good team mate' and 'great healer' and such.

This here is the last match I played yesterday which gives u an idea of the sort of people I'm getting matched with...

(Tried spam pinging at one stage, which I'm against, but I think he fell asleep so I wanted to wake him up)

Both players pinged the building I was in and neither dropped there (I didn't ping anything) one got downed and I tried my best to get to him, I burst out laughing when the feed switched to my one remaining team mate.

Edit: bonus GIF for you guys to show how hilarious solo queue matchmaking is right now on xbox. (If there is any sort of matchmaking )

YellowSpectacularGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

I get matched with a player that hasn't hit level 25 and a guy who doesn't have a single win in season 2 and the champion squad doesn't have a player with under 700 season 3 wins........*sobs*

All of this is: too motherfucking real.
I get teamed up with shitty unreliable level 25-35 all the goddamn time, and I'm myself level 483. I don't understand how the matchmaking is working in the slightest, because as it is right now, I shouldn't be paired with anybody who isn't at the very least level 100. That'd be the minimum required, truly. Level 25-35 might or might not have a similar KDR than mine, I don't know at all, but it doesn't mean they know how to play the game, and it doesn't mean we have the same skill level. We absolutely don't. I don't think it's fair to expect me to have to babysit teammates each and every time I wanna play pubs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I have two challenges
  • Get 5 headshots
  • Get 5 headshots as Lifeline

I play a game as Lifeline and I complete the "get 5 headshots" challenge but the "get 5 headshots as lifeline" is at 4/5??

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
as horrible as this game is to play right now, i'm still never going to get tired of using Mirage's ult and popping up behind players and slapping them with the Peacekeeper.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
if it weren't for the fact that i'm only a few levels from completing the battle pass i think i would have deleted this game in a fit of anger by now. this past week or so has legitimately been some of the least fun i've ever had in it, to a point where i nearly lost my voice from shouting at the screen in utter dismay today. pub matches are awful. ranked is even worse. i honestly don't understand how or why these matches are getting even harder but they feel like they are, and after thinking that i was improving slightly it's like i've hit a brick wall that's pushing back at me.

mini-rant: how in god's name do you end up having thousands of kills on your banner but still don't know how to jump from the ship properly??!?!? to say the pathfinder i just go paired with put us short of skyhook as the jump master - despite it being an incredibly easy drop - might be an understatement.

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
After spending some time with the new map I've come to the conclusion that I hate it. 90% of the time if I'm engaged in a battle and I duck behind cover to heal another (camping nearby) team will snipe me for the easy 3rd party kill. The map actually encourages 3rd partying which takes away alot of the skill element when your playing with randoms as you have to get really lucky that another team isn't watching you from afar when your in a fight.

The only way to get regular success is to keep pushing enemies constantly as aggressive and as fast as you can to minimize the chance of another team jumping on your back which is nearly impossible to do when your playing with randoms and your coming across well organized 3 person parties.

For me to keep playing this beyond Christmas I want to see kings canyon back with big changes.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Ki ng's canyon again. The only thing that could ever make the cities interesting in this map is if they tweaked it for wall running. That'd be amazing. And yes. Bring in titans for a special event. Something all 3 people have to be in for maximum effectiveness. Just go full on stupid, Respawn.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That might be the most info we've had for SBMM.

Yep. I'll stay in the diamond meatgrinder. Sweat = ranked and sweat = unranked just isn't what I'm looking for.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The biggest Apex youtuber:

A dev finally admitting it:

UNerTCj.jpg

Very sad days for this game. :(

Was going to jump on here tonight to say the same thing....Regular Apex fucking sucks now. Only playing ranked from here on out because it's actually easier than regular apex at this point.

Respawn - What the fuck happened?

Edit: SBMM might have been turned on at the end of S2 but it probably took it awhile to gather data etc to really kick in because it seems like something drastically changed at the end of the Halloween event.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This pisses me off even further.

The confirmation of SBMM makes me more angry that the game seems to think myself and my 2 random level 20 team mates or ok to be in the same match as 500+ season 3 wins predator squads.

Fuck this. I'd rather they go back to real randoms.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you moaning about sbmm?
So you'd rather go into games and pubstomp, is that what you're saying? Or that the sbmm is matching you with players at a higher level than you?

I don't have a problem with sbmm at all, and this honestly sounds like sour grapes from a lot of you.
I do think they should have separate playlists for pre-made squads and solo players though, which should help a little bit.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The sbmm is confusing because playing solo as a high level player seems to almost always throw you with two newer players who seem to not know what to do, but throw you in matches with squads of gods.

That's why I don't understand it at all, like me aside that can't be a good experience for the other two being tossed into a shark tank, lol.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Does this thread have Complaint-Based Matchmaking (CBMM)? It's been unreadable for weeks.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
As somone who is shit i think the matchmaking is pretty good.

Occasionally some 20kill/4k damage dude or dudes will be in the same game and trash everyone which reallly sucks but most games seem full of pretty even fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.