• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anything would be better than what we have right now. I can't believe Respawn still hasn't even addressed the fact there's SBMM yet. The Apex reddit was freaking out over it for a month. The least they can do is let us know if they're going to tune the system based off our feedback. So many people leaving the game for COD or fucking Roblox (what the hell is that game anyways?) that a little community outreach would be a welcomed thing.

I once played a CS:GO clone in Roblox. It's a weird space. I had to do it because it was for some work related research. It's like a game where you can build your own experiences. Kind of like LittleBigPlanet or Dreams but if it looked awful. Haha.

Agreed though, the very least they could do is be transparent on these issues that players are reporting.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I actually did give the game another go earlier and I got put into a game where the champ squad was a team of Apex preds. My team immediately dropped out of the match right after the champion screen. I'm not sure why, maybe to get a a friend to team up with or something.

In any case, I just played it super safe, skulking around and interrupting fights. Dipping in and out and cleaning things up where I could.

I finished with 6 kills, 700 damage, and the win. It was a pretty good feeling considering the odds really were stacked against me in that one. I didn't even feel as though I played well, I just got lucky.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
0 kills is 0 kills. What I mean is, the difference in there skill is still significant enough that they wouldn't be able to have an impact in that game. That's not going to be any fun, and most matches are going to end with 0 kills and very little damage.

That's what happens in Overwatch and Siege too. I've played Siege with a guy who got dragged into my lobbies and could not get a single kill for four hours straight. It doesn't matter if the lobbies skill level is slightly depreciated because that players there, if it's still far beyond his, it's going to be really rough.
You're assuming the worst case scenario and coming to the conclusion that nothing shoul be done.

Of course an absolutely horrendous player is almost never getting a kill when teaming up with great players. That doesn't mean the whole concept of skill averaging is useless.

And even in this hypothetical 100 in a 450 match, they're going to do a bit more damage, win more often and almost cerrainly have a lot more fun.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You're assuming the worst case scenario and coming to the conclusion that nothing shoul be done.

Of course an absolutely horrendous player is almost never getting a kill when teaming up with great players. That doesn't mean the whole concept of skill averaging is useless.

And even in this hypothetical 100 in a 450 match, they're going to do a bit more damage, win more often and almost cerrainly have a lot more fun.

Sure, it might be better but I think it's a stretch to say it's fun. I've been put in that situation with players many times across a variety of games and with SBMM on the low skill player is always a burden. It creates a scenario where I'm expected to carry the team, and it ends up being no fun for me, or the players who have their skill outmatched.

I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it might be better but I think it's a stretch to say it's fun. I've been put in that situation with players many times across a variety of games and with SBMM on the low skill player is always a burden. It creates a scenario where I'm expected to carry the team, and it ends up being no fun for me, or the players who have their skill outmatched.

I'm just speaking from my own experience.
But the alternative (at least in Apex) is that you have to carry even harder.

Playing in a team with wildy different skill levels is always going to suck to some extent. No need to make it borderline unbearable on purpose.

I guess they want to discourage mismatched teams out of the game altogether. Which mostly leads to players dropping the game instead of their friends.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Final fight.

Enemy team is hunkered inside one of the vaults in the caves. My two team members are throwing in grenades and getting shots off but ultimately they are hunkered in there pretty good.

I arrive a minute later (was cleaning up after previous fight where I got a bit fucked) as Mirage, use my ultimate and run straight in to the back of the vault, decloak and absolutely massacre them from behind. What a feeling.

Been waiting for Mirage's ultimate to be that useful for ages.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Final fight.

Enemy team is hunkered inside one of the vaults in the caves. My two team members are throwing in grenades and getting shots off but ultimately they are hunkered in there pretty good.

I arrive a minute later (was cleaning up after previous fight where I got a bit fucked) as Mirage, use my ultimate and run straight in to the back of the vault, decloak and absolutely massacre them from behind. What a feeling.

Been waiting for Mirage's ultimate to be that useful for ages.
I don't understand why people rate Mirage so low. His ult and tactical can both win fights.

He could probably use a bit of a buff, but Reddit is full of suggestions like "he should have 2 clones and be able to choose the exact actions of the clones. His ult clones should also act convincingly and his passive needs to be way better."

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I mained Mirage.

He's a great character to have when you playing solo as his ult can save you when you get jumped.

One addition I've always wanted from him is the ability to grab banners and revive while under his ult cloak.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I mained Mirage.

He's a great character to have when you playing solo as his ult can save you when you get jumped.

One addition I've always wanted from him is the ability to grab banners and revive while under his ult cloak.

I've been maining Mirage this season - mainly so that if I get sniped from far away I can find cover and then use decoy to distract them while get a better position. This would be a really good passive buff and if Crypto's useless drone can do it then Mirage should be able to as well.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I actually did give the game another go earlier and I got put into a game where the champ squad was a team of Apex preds. My team immediately dropped out of the match right after the champion screen. I'm not sure why, maybe to get a a friend to team up with or something.

In any case, I just played it super safe, skulking around and interrupting fights. Dipping in and out and cleaning things up where I could.

I finished with 6 kills, 700 damage, and the win. It was a pretty good feeling considering the odds really were stacked against me in that one. I didn't even feel as though I played well, I just got lucky.

Apex IS a great game marred by the recent SBMM. That's really all it comes down to for me. I love the shooting mechanics. I love the movement system. I love the ping and looting system. The revive beacons....All great ideas and executed really well. And the game looks great too.

If they can just tweak the SBMM algorithm in casual then I'd have no real complaints other than maybe being bored since the season is too long.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Hyped beyond belief I can almost stop thinking about SBMM. I didn't see any wraith skin, hoping that means she's the freebie giveaway for the event. Reward table for the event:

mre33ljhns941.png

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This looks fantastic, i'm happy to see!

It's too bad that their playerbase wont be around to enjoy it. Judging by this thread, everyone's jumping ship. We'll miss you.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Wow, they made it to the $5 price point on skins. That's just about the sweet spot I think, as long as there is a wraith skin.

Neen

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This looks fantastic, i'm happy to see!

It's too bad that their playerbase wont be around to enjoy it. Judging by this thread, everyone's jumping ship. We'll miss you.

LOL!!!!!

I can't wait to try out these new modes! I think the modes that interest me the most are: Third Person Mode, Kings Canyon Night Mode, and Dummies Mode. Although I don't hate this new map and don't feel like they NEED to re-introduce Kings Canyon, I'll be happy to revisit it.

The new skins look great. I really hope they created something for my girl Lifeline though! Well done Respawn!

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
$5 is a good price point and the event is so short (2 days a piece). I really don't think I'll have time for most of it,

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
The coolest skins won't be $5. There's 0% chance they'd drop the price of Legendary skins by that much and if you read it carefully, it says Legendary skins "as well as" $5 skins. In any case, Bangalore and Pathfinder skins seem awesome, probably getting those...

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mained Mirage.

The best part is going to Mirage's Voyage and chilling in the spa bath with all the other Mirages just avoid a fight or get the jump. Hilarious.

sivi62spms941.jpg

I better see this exact same outfit in Cyberpunk

Oh we Die Antwoord now.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited for the return of my favourite mode, but then I realized charge rifle is going to be 3 per squad and it's gonna 2 shot people.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Played a game last night for the first time in a long while as my friend was on and was trying to max out the Battlepass.

Weird game, we all managed to get a gold body shields, mine was a vault find and my friend found one randomly in a deathbox, i'm not sure where the other guy found his....

We ended up making it to the final 3 against 2 other teams with gold shields....

Next game i landed in Dome and only one of us managed to find a white body shield before we got destroyed moving to the next area.

Not sure how i feel about the event. It doesn't really interest me. I may come back when the new season starts if there are good meaningful changes

If i find out there are no changes to SBMM iv'e already discussed with friends about maybe purposely dropping points in ranked so i stay in gold next time round. Gold is where my skill level seems to be at, i don't stand a chance against the pre made Predator teams i often get matched with in Plat.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone knows why at this point but playing this game solo is such a miserable experience. Probably played 50+ matches in the last two days solo, zero wins. When nobody I play with is on, I can't help myself but try to solo queue and attempt to relive the good days when solo queuing was fun, but it's actually unplayable now. I keep thinking maybe the next match will be a good one and I can't just give up and close the game, had to delete it to take a break again...

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i always play with randos and i feel like once every ten games or so we win.

all i gotta do is get to player level 50 (im 48 right now) and i will have 100% the trophies ^.^

looking forward to trying out 3rd person mode to see how that is. very curious

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I've been on a steak with no wins but it doesn't bother me. They will come again at some point considering I've had several top 5's. I have fun with randoms still. Sometimes I group up with one other usually not a 3 stack. We just laugh it off when a random does something crazy or weird. A lot of decent randoms still for me though.

I think with the new modes and upcoming new season a big influx of players will be back. A lot of big games had updates recently. Basically path of exiles pulled play time from Apex for me. I think seige also had an update recently along with Tarkov. Respawn needs to work on content timing and maintaining a steady flow during competing game launches and updates. A lot of online games do this to keep compete and keep players from bouncing around. I wonder if this temporary limited mode is in the format it's in cause they realized the season is entirely too long. Doesn't it have like four more weeks?

SEBattleship

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The coolest skins won't be $5. There's 0% chance they'd drop the price of Legendary skins by that much and if you read it carefully, it says Legendary skins "as well as" $5 skins. In any case, Bangalore and Pathfinder skins seem awesome, probably getting those...

Oh yeah, you're right. It looks like they'll probably roll out some more charms for $5 and keep the cool stuff at $18 or put them in $7 packs.

That is disappointing.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I took an extended break from this game, pretty much not played it for a month.

Fired it up tonight and won the first match.

0 kills. And carried by 2 Apex Predators

Good to be back!

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows why at this point but playing this game solo is such a miserable experience. Probably played 50+ matches in the last two days solo, zero wins. When nobody I play with is on, I can't help myself but try to solo queue and attempt to relive the good days when solo queuing was fun, but it's actually unplayable now. I keep thinking maybe the next match will be a good one and I can't just give up and close the game, had to delete it to take a break again...

it's the worst and I just don't have the time to find groups. I wish there was a solo mode but I guess this is a team battle royale (or so everyone tells me).

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Loot distro is still as fucking awful as ever.(yay for running through the entirety of an unlooted Capitol without finding one health pick up)

And I'll be damned if I can get a solo game with 2 other players. 3 games all resulted in me playing duo's or solos from the drop.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
From two days ago, tell me that the game wasn't giving me the middle finger when these are the champ squads when you solo queue:

Ive seen this way too often. The funny thing is, that I often get team mates that haven't even hit level 50 when I see these champion squads.

Look forward to playing against pre made 1000+ win sweats when the new game modes hit.

Edit: and the skin glitch is still here? Haha. Respawn don't give a fuck about the game beyond releasing money making events. Hilarious

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: and the skin glitch is still here? Haha. Respawn don't give a fuck about the game beyond releasing money making events. Hilarious
The skin glitch is costing them money because you don't get to show them off. That makes it pretty funny that they haven't fixed it. Most F2P developers would consider a glitch like this priority number one because it's affecting their business.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ive seen this way too often. The funny thing is, that I often get team mates that haven't even hit level 50 when I see these champion squads.

Look forward to playing against pre made 1000+ win sweats when the new game modes hit.

Yep most of the games I play are like this and if I play solo I'm lucky if my team mates even stay in the game long enough to drop to land.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Think I am a lifeline main. I do like her. I may need to buy Octane, he looks awesome so I want to learn him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.