• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A group of my friends are on their 15th smurf accounts for season 3 (they make new ones whenever they hit level 10). I think people underestimate how much of a problem the SBMM thing is for people. I also imagine the sheer number of smurfs are bumping up their 'new player' numbers artificially.

They asked me to make a smurf and play with them but I refused, but I played with them anyway. It didn't make any difference to the games we got into. Max level, 20 bomb badges, predator level players. It obviously only factors in the highest ranked player in the party at the moment, because there's no way a level 1 account should ever be seeing those games otherwise.

What a shitshow this whole thing is.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm honestly pissed at the fact that the skin glitch is still a thing that exists, how long as it been now, a month and a half? Two months? I paid skins 18 fucking euros and I can't even show them off in the slightest. Doesn't make me wanna buy any new skin until they finally fix this crap.

PS: Also the trajectory not always showing up while throwing a grenade glitch is ALSO a thing I'm tired of. It's been here for a longass time as well, still not fixed.

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's amazing how many teams I'll come across in solo queues that will run at me as a unit, all within 10 paces of each other, opening fire simultaneously as I try my best to run, escape, do anything!.....

Meanwhile one of my team mates has dropped solo and the other one is in a building nearby with purple armour, a helmet and an R-99 yet is still looting away ignoring my cries for help as he plays 'Apex loot simulator 2020'.

Respawn did good with the ping system and there is alot in place that means even a solo player without coms can participate and work as a team. Unfortunately, while ever Respawn think it's a good idea putting pre-made teams in with solo players your always going to be at a disadvantage.

Luckily I've added quite a few people as friends through this so I often get invites, but even as a pre made squad I kinda feel bad knowing we're destroying people that are solo. We'll often down guys that have no one come to their aid.

The real SBMM would be to have parties v parties and solo v solo.

Oct 27, 2017
Reading through the last 10 pages of this thread has been depressing. There are (imo) too many people concerned with curb-stomping. There was one poster that said they used to win 20% of matches and were upset that they were now only winning 7%. Considering that in a perfectly-balanced system you'd win 5%, winning 7% long-term is an incredible difference. In most SBMM games, having a 51 or 52% win rate long-term is fantastic since you are always placed against people with an average similar skill.

I do understand being frustrated with the slow-drip of content we are getting. I wish they would increase the rate of changes, and keep better track of stats.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Think I am a lifeline main. I do like her. I may need to buy Octane, he looks awesome so I want to learn him as well.
I am also a Lifeline main and I like playing Octane to escape any feelings of responsibility I may feel towards my teammates. He's stupid fun.
Reading through the last 10 pages of this thread has been depressing. There are (imo) too many people concerned with curb-stomping. There was one poster that said they used to win 20% of matches and were upset that they were now only winning 7%. Considering that in a perfectly-balanced system you'd win 5%, winning 7% long-term is an incredible difference. In most SBMM games, having a 51 or 52% win rate long-term is fantastic since you are always placed against people with an average similar skill.

I do understand being frustrated with the slow-drip of content we are getting. I wish they would increase the rate of changes, and keep better track of stats.
I'm just waiting to see how many of them get banned once players start getting punished for dashboarding in ranked.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

The issues, at least for me, aren't to do with 'curb stomping' or that I'm not winning most of the time (it's actually still quite easy to win consistently if you party up), it's to do with a vast number of factors.

The two most crucial issues with the current SBMM implementation I would say are as follows:
  • There's no sense of progression. It doesn't matter if you're good or bad at the game, there's no sense of skill progression at all. I don't feel like I'm learning or getting better because no matter how good I get there's no opportunity to have that reflected in a game. In fact, each season I play as the game calibrates me, matches get harder, and it feels like I'm getting worse.
  • There's no variety in the matches. Because everyone is at the same level of play they're running the same strategies, and because they're all aware that the game has skill based matchmaking enabled, they're all much more risk averse, aware that they're opponents are always at least equal skill to them. That means no more surprises or interesting plays, a lot of turtling, even in unranked games.
  • Playing with friends of different skill levels is unbearable. Playing with friends of different skill levels appears to pull the whole team to a lobby of the highest players skill, this is often unbearable for both lower level players, and the higher-skill team mate that has to persistently try to 1 vs 3 same skilled opponents while the low skill players get to spectate.
  • Same skilled matchmaking places much more emphasis on loot and RNG. Because we can assume that our opponents are approximately the same skill level, that they give or take have the same accuracy, the same mobility, that means that the weapons and equipment they have play a much, much more important role in each match. It used to be the case that you would have a chance to outplay a bad situation, your own skill versus that of the opposing team.
  • Same skilled matchmaking solidifies the unbalanced Legend meta. Similar to the issue above, playing because your opponents are of similar skill, having abilities like Wraith and Pathfinder become absolute gamechangers. Pathfinder and Wraith are broken.
It drastically changes the pacing of the game, how it's played, how people use space, how people pick their legends, the risks they take. I feel that all of those attributes are affected to a point wherein the game is by and large, straight up unenjoyable most of the time.

I'm mostly playing other things now. It's funny because I don't mind skill based matchmaking in other games. When I play something like Destiny or Call of Duty, it doesn't bother me, I have a good time with or without it, and I actually find it interesting to face challenging opponents consistently. But in a battle royale, I feel that the core of the game is adversely affected by SBMM. I appreciate the option to play same skilled players and I want to highlight that everyone has that option in the ranked mode (e.g. if you're bad, you can go play in Bronze forever), but the 100 player cross section of the player base is a big part of what made Apex Legends so varied and enjoyable for me.

This is the gif that made me pay attention to battle royale as a genre (it's from PUBG if you're unfamiliar) and I just can't help but feel that the potential moments like this are vastly reduced by aggressive skill based matchmaking. Here you see the result of players messing around, taking risks, and playing against the meta which creates rewarding moments like the one pictured. In my lobbies, that's gone from Apex Legends.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
That's gone for most of the solidified BRs on the market. That gif is from that sweet summer when PUBG was on it's climb to 1 mill players. Meta hadn't settled, the game was taking off in streams. The game was fresh.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The season has progressed to the point where platinum (on average) is about the same as old casual. This is why it's good to wait with terrible grind-based ranked systems. I'm gonna savor the next 5-10 hours before I hit diamond.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm honestly pissed at the fact that the skin glitch is still a thing that exists, how long as it been now, a month and a half? Two months? I paid skins 18 fucking euros and I can't even show them off in the slightest. Doesn't make me wanna buy any new skin until they finally fix this crap.

PS: Also the trajectory not always showing up while throwing a grenade glitch is ALSO a thing I'm tired of. It's been here for a longass time as well, still not fixed.
Yes, these too are my top complaints right now. Neither sounds too hard to fix, considering they werent broken at the beginning of the season.
It's amazing how many teams I'll come across in solo queues that will run at me as a unit, all within 10 paces of each other, opening fire simultaneously as I try my best to run, escape, do anything!.....

Meanwhile one of my team mates has dropped solo and the other one is in a building nearby with purple armour, a helmet and an R-99 yet is still looting away ignoring my cries for help as he plays 'Apex loot simulator 2020'.

Respawn did good with the ping system and there is alot in place that means even a solo player without coms can participate and work as a team. Unfortunately, while ever Respawn think it's a good idea putting pre-made teams in with solo players your always going to be at a disadvantage.

Luckily I've added quite a few people as friends through this so I often get invites, but even as a pre made squad I kinda feel bad knowing we're destroying people that are solo. We'll often down guys that have no one come to their aid.

I know the feeling you described all too well. Here's hoping for solos and parties ladders in the future.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Dev confirmed they are working on an adjustment for solo vs premade squads SBMM. Also, G7 getting "adjusted" aka nerfed. *tears. Muzzleflash reduction is also in the works but sounds like maybe season 4 for that.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
The issues, at least for me, aren't to do with 'curb stomping' or that I'm not winning most of the time (it's actually still quite easy to win consistently if you party up), it's to do with a vast number of factors.

The two most crucial issues with the current SBMM implementation I would say are as follows:
  • There's no sense of progression. It doesn't matter if you're good or bad at the game, there's no sense of skill progression at all. I don't feel like I'm learning or getting better because no matter how good I get there's no opportunity to have that reflected in a game. In fact, each season I play as the game calibrates me, matches get harder, and it feels like I'm getting worse.
  • There's no variety in the matches. Because everyone is at the same level of play they're running the same strategies, and because they're all aware that the game has skill based matchmaking enabled, they're all much more risk averse, aware that they're opponents are always at least equal skill to them. That means no more surprises or interesting plays, a lot of turtling, even in unranked games.
  • Playing with friends of different skill levels is unbearable. Playing with friends of different skill levels appears to pull the whole team to a lobby of the highest players skill, this is often unbearable for both lower level players, and the higher-skill team mate that has to persistently try to 1 vs 3 same skilled opponents while the low skill players get to spectate.
  • Same skilled matchmaking places much more emphasis on loot and RNG. Because we can assume that our opponents are approximately the same skill level, that they give or take have the same accuracy, the same mobility, that means that the weapons and equipment they have play a much, much more important role in each match. It used to be the case that you would have a chance to outplay a bad situation, your own skill versus that of the opposing team.
  • Same skilled matchmaking solidifies the unbalanced Legend meta. Similar to the issue above, playing because your opponents are of similar skill, having abilities like Wraith and Pathfinder become absolute gamechangers. Pathfinder and Wraith are broken.
It drastically changes the pacing of the game, how it's played, how people use space, how people pick their legends, the risks they take. I feel that all of those attributes are affected to a point wherein the game is by and large, straight up unenjoyable most of the time.

I'm mostly playing other things now. It's funny because I don't mind skill based matchmaking in other games. When I play something like Destiny or Call of Duty, it doesn't bother me, I have a good time with or without it, and I actually find it interesting to face challenging opponents consistently. But in a battle royale, I feel that the core of the game is adversely affected by SBMM. I appreciate the option to play same skilled players and I want to highlight that everyone has that option in the ranked mode (e.g. if you're bad, you can go play in Bronze forever), but the 100 player cross section of the player base is a big part of what made Apex Legends so varied and enjoyable for me.

This is the gif that made me pay attention to battle royale as a genre (it's from PUBG if you're unfamiliar) and I just can't help but feel that the potential moments like this are vastly reduced by aggressive skill based matchmaking. Here you see the result of players messing around, taking risks, and playing against the meta which creates rewarding moments like the one pictured. In my lobbies, that's gone from Apex Legends.

VERY good post, I agree with basically everything. Specifically the SBMM -> loot/RNG connection, Legend meta, and variety. Battle Royale should ALWAYS be random selection, period. If they want to have a separate mode that attempts to match based on skill, make it a separate mode, not the standard.

Also, that PUBG gif is also the kind of stuff that got me into the genre as well. It's why I still feel like PUBG is the best implementation of "Battle Royale" yet. True randomness, varied sandbox, and good vehicle implementation.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm just waiting to see how many of them get banned once players start getting punished for dashboarding in ranked.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, pretty rude of you to assume most of us here are the kind of players that would dashboard in ranked to begin with, but ok, cool.

That's a very well summed-up state of affairs, and why playing Apex these days is not as rewarding as it used to be.
On the other hand, knowing how much time I sunk into Apex in 2019, maybe it's a good thing they're making the game a bit less appealing than it used to be.

Last edited:

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The higher in ranked I go the worse the quality of team mates get... I don't get it.
Edit: I mean I absolutely understand how it happens, but damn, at least fight together.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Seem to be getting matched with trolls who are actively trying to get me and my other team mate killed.

Game 1) reviving a team mate and the 3rd player punches me off the beacon when I'm 75%. I try again and he does it again. By the time I've revived him the circle has closed in and the 3rd player dies due to having no med.

Game 2) A caustic that constantly runs in front of me and blocks doorways with his traps. I end up getting sniped due to lack of cover. This guy also tries to punch me off a cliff edge but I saw it coming and sidestepped.

Game 3) I get knocked and a Bangalore takes my purple shield and all my meds from my box leaving me with a fully depleted blue shield. I ping for shields only to be ignored and end up fighting a team of purple shields with a massive disadvantage.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm mostly playing other things now. It's funny because I don't mind skill based matchmaking in other games. When I play something like Destiny or Call of Duty, it doesn't bother me, I have a good time with or without it, and I actually find it interesting to face challenging opponents consistently. But in a battle royale, I feel that the core of the game is adversely affected by SBMM.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I'd probably be okay with some kind of "SBMM-Lite" if they just toned down whatever algorithm or metric that is forcing me into never ending matches with Apex Predators. As you mentioned, I'm also okay with SBMM in other games. Maybe this is due to how heavy handed Respawn implemented their SBMM in Apex vs those games. I don't know the answer, honestly.

I also have grown really tired of this map. When it was first released I was singing it's praises up and down. I was probably reacting to the overall graphical upgrade from KC more than anything now that i think about it. WE is a much better looking map than KC. It's more varied and overall has some really interesting areas that are marred by the fact that there are too many wide open spaces on the map.

Either way - when I combine this SBMM issue with the growing disdain for the map, I'm reaching that point where I sadly, don't really want to play the game anymore. Bummer.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Perfect timing for the Soiree, everyone is a bit down on the game, we've got 7 new modes two days apiece starting in a few hours. Then season 4. Can't wait for KC at dark and ABC

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I also have grown really tired of this map. When it was first released I was singing it's praises up and down. I was probably reacting to the overall graphical upgrade from KC more than anything now that i think about it. WE is a much better looking map than KC. It's more varied and overall has some really interesting areas that are marred by the fact that there are too many wide open spaces on the map.
I still maintain both maps are just as great. Funnily, I completely fell out of the Longbow meta that was dominant immediately pre-Season 3, despite WE's wider spaces. I wonder if it still rules in KC.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

The nade trajectory is totally unacceptable and it's really janky that they have let this go on for this long. Aiming nades is one of the most important aspects of the game and it's broken.

The other big BIG one is the sound bug that comes from Mirage's stupid flying boat. If you're 500 yards away it'll make it sound like there's enemies nearby running around. I hate dropping anywhere near his ship now.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Respawn if you're reading this: Please release an updated version of Titanfall 1 and have it live in the Apex menu so if people just want to play TDM they can. It would solidify the whole Titanfall universe thing and all the guns and movement are the same anyways minus the wall running.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The other big BIG one is the sound bug that comes from Mirage's stupid flying boat. If you're 500 yards away it'll make it sound like there's enemies nearby running around. I hate dropping anywhere near his ship now.

This still gets me. I'll be at the train yard with my squad, hear footsteps and see that nobody is moving on my map. Freak out and then realize, duh, Mirage Voyage.

It's so stupid.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I keep hearing a knocking noise sort of like when Lifeline's drone is pushed up against a rock. I guess this is what is causing it?

Yeah, that's the sound. Honestly this bug has made me so paranoid, you can hear Mirage's fireworks from so goddamn far away from it, I usually try not to land nearby so I avoid the confusion altogether. It's stupid that you can hear it while you're in Train Yard, makes no sense whatsoever.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yeah, that's the sound. Honestly this bug has made me so paranoid, you can hear Mirage's fireworks from so goddamn far away from it, I usually try not to land nearby so I avoid the confusion altogether. It's stupid that you can hear it while you're in Train Yard, makes no sense whatsoever.
Ah ok. I wondered what was causing it. I thought it was an issue with my headphone splitter that went bad, but even after replacing the cable, I'm still hearing it. Now I know why!

I mentioned before how it seems like loot isn't randomizing properly--I'll find the same exact item multiple times within a small area. I mean literally like 5 blue shields in the same part of the map. Still noticing it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Mirage's ship is driving me nuts. I'm minding my own business on the other side of Thermal Station and it sounds like Pathfinder is tapdancing right next to me.

I mentioned before how it seems like loot isn't randomizing properly--I'll find the same exact item multiple times within a small area. I mean literally like 5 blue shields in the same part of the map. Still noticing it.
Sounds more like an issue of too random than not random enough.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Patch should be going live. EDIT: available on PS4, 3.8GB
First event is Gold Rush Duos.

Patch notes: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/eoosbr/grand_soiree_event_patch_notes_jan_14_2020/

Highlights:
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed bug where the trajectory line wouldn't appear when trying to aim ordnance.
  • Fixed the bug where a squadmate selects a character in Legend Select and the Legend is not displaying the skin that is currently equipped by the player.
Changes to the meta:
  • Gibraltar
    • Passive: Gibraltar revives squadmates faster while inside the Dome Shield.

• Wraith
    • Removed the bonus move speed Into the Void and Dimensional Rift at the same time. Wraith will now move at their combined movement speed when they are both activated.
    • Increased cooldown for Into the Void: 25 seconds -> 35 seconds.

• Crypto
    • Drone and EMP improvements.
    • Surveillance Drone increased the health 1 -> 30.
    • EMP no longer affects friendly traps/deployables.
    • EMP no longer slows friendlies.
  • CHANGE TO ENERGY MAGS
    • Extended Energy Mags removed
    • HAVOC mag size: 32
    • Devotion mag size: 44
Designer notes: We know that the removal of energy mags seems a bit odd, but it will make much more sense with the release of Season 4! It takes a while to make the bigger changes you see in the new season updates, and we generally make sure to filter out these changes from preceding mid-season updates. This time we made a mistake and shipped a change that wasn't intended to go live until Season 4.
Intrigued by the removal of energy mags.

Not sure how to feel about the drone health buff, it's hard enough to hit the damn thing with a controller. 30 shouldn't be too high though

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Beaten by seconds.

Crypto buffs are nice but I'm still not sure it makes up for basically being a man down in fire fights some of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
nWMNqZJ.jpg

Yeah, sure, right, I totally just played 220 hours of Apex Legends this year!

VYZnQDJ.gif

(It's also missing stats on Assassin's Creed Odyssey & AC3 remastered that I played this year, so it's completely bugged!)

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's been a while that throwing grenades is bugged, when I press the button to initiante the movement it doesnt show the arc/trajectory, only shows a small spot of where it is going to hit and it fucking sucks. I always run around with 2-4 of those and it sucks that I cant use them effectively now! Anyone else having these problems?

And Apex was my most played game of the year (PS4) almost an hour per day (average). Seems right as I always try to do the daily challenges, sometimes I keep playing longer and sme days I just dont play at all. Great game and the one I most played online, ever.

Whenever I kill someone and noone appears in 5 seconds odds are that noone is ever coming for them and I can go loot lol

The only thing that is worst than playing with other solo players is playing with a Duo that is in a party chat... you are the leader while jumping but then you realize both of them jumped way earlier than you and they are together far far away. They didn't communicate the jump, didnt ping anything, they are just playing duos by themselves and ruining your game.

That second most hated thing by me is when your teammate dies and starts to ping their banner non stop, no matter how far or close you are, or whether there are enemies around or not... my first reaction is to just ignore the dude and not recover his thing but I always change my mind because playing with a smaller team means you are going to be destroyed.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It's been a while that throwing grenades is bugged, when I press the button to initiante the movement it doesnt show the arc/trajectory, only shows a small spot of where it is going to hit and it fucking sucks. I always run around with 2-4 of those and it sucks that I cant use them effectively now! Anyone else having these problems?
Yes, it's a known bug, but it's getting fixed on the next patch (literally just out now).

That second most hated thing by me is when your teammate dies and starts to ping their banner non stop, no matter how far or close you are, or whether there are enemies around or not... my first reaction is to just ignore the dude and not recover his thing but I always change my mind because playing with a smaller team means you are going to be destroyed.
You can silence a teammate's pings, I always do that when these jerks get heavy handed.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I personally think the patch is... alright. But we NEED them to address SBMM and solo queues (both solo mode and no premade trios). The game is still miserable when playing solo.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Firstly Gilbralter did not need a buff. He was already one of the stand out OP characters in this season.

And I hate that they removed extended energy mags. The Havoc was my jam.

Thank the lord for this

Fixed the bug where a squadmate selects a character in Legend Select and the Legend is not displaying the skin that is currently equipped by the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.