• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i remember one game, a buddy and I both had gold shields and helmets. I also had a gold packback. lol it was the most weirdest game. but i only found them after i wiped squads and looted their deathboxes. we couldn't believe we had two gold shields.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
One trophy away from 100% this game and I can't get it to save my life... I need the equip both Legendary Armor & Helmet trophy and I can consistently get one or the other but not both. It got to a point yesterday that I was pissed off because we won the game but I was unable to loot the last guy I killed who had legendary armor because he was the last kill. Oh well, I'm sure it will come
Yeah I'm approaching level 60 and still don't have this trophy. I've told myself if I'm ever in a situation where I'll lose the game but get the trophy I'm going through with it. Sorry future teammates.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm amazed that the game has been out for so long and I'm still getting players drop out because I'm apparently a 'noob'.

Just had a game with a guy who literary swore at me and called me a noob because I chose Gilbralter as I'm trying to get the battle pass bonus and I only had 80 kills with him as I don't use him much.

Reported and blocked.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm amazed that the game has been out for so long and I'm still getting players drop out because I'm apparently a 'noob'.

Just had a game with a guy who literary swore at me and called me a noob because I chose Gilbralter as I'm trying to get the battle pass bonus and I only had 80 kills with him as I don't use him much.

Reported and blocked.

Join a private group before playing any online shooter. There's no good reason for putting up with random voice chat.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Join a private group before playing any online shooter. There's no good reason for putting up with random voice chat.

I've met some awesome randoms who I really enjoy playing with daily and the only way that happened was by wearing a mic. Yes you will run into shitheads. That's a given. But you'll also run into a few players you really click with.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah. To add to my story of the dick head who backed out, the other random laughed when I said 'what a nobhead, I'm glad he left!' and we ended up talking through most of the match. Nice guy.

It is a shame that there is the odd fool. And especially frustrating that your seemingly judged on your stats when the stats in a game like this mean absaloutely nothing. You could literally be the best player ever with 1000+ wins and 20000 kills and decide to choose a character youve only played a couple of games with (like Gilbralter in my case)

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. To add to my story of the dick head who backed out, the other random laughed when I said 'what a nobhead, I'm glad he left!' and we ended up talking through most of the match. Nice guy.

It is a shame that there is the odd fool. And especially frustrating that your seemingly judged on your stats when the stats in a game like this mean absaloutely nothing. You could literally be the best player ever with 1000+ wins and 20000 kills and decide to choose a character youve only played a couple of games with (like Gilbralter in my case)

Apparently getting a total kill count is just too insane for Respawn to give us but thank god we have a counter for the total distance I've grappled with Pathfinder! Sigh.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm approaching level 60 and still don't have this trophy. I've told myself if I'm ever in a situation where I'll lose the game but get the trophy I'm going through with it. Sorry future teammates.

Kill more people, take their shit and you'll get it.

Rush drop zones, kill everyone, rush more people, kill everyone. You'll get it.

If you're still having trouble, work with friends to get it. One of my friends mentioned that he needed it and I was like 'don't worry dude, we'll get you those items' and we just hot dropped for an hour until he got it. Obviously, we gave him the items he needed rather than taking them for ourselves.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

If you play with a group, just announce when you pick up a gold helmet or armor. At some point, you'll have both items in your group. Spend a minute in some closed building dropping and picking up your gear and you'll all get the cheevo.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Yep you guys are right, I need to start playing with my mic on when playing on PS4. Eventually I'll get a friendly teammate that will let me swap gear to get the trophy to pop :)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Something that bothers me about BRs is when the playerbase consciousness starts aggregating around one drop spot repeatedly. In this game's case, Skull Town. Worse here due to the squad nature of the game, where

IGkFV80.png

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Respawn should do a charity event with a special Mozambique skin where the proceeds go to disaster relief in Mozambique.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Finally got a legendary legend skin from a loot tick: "Imperial Warrior" for Bloodhound. I'm happy about it, it looks good.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Something that bothers me about BRs is when the playerbase consciousness starts aggregating around one drop spot repeatedly. In this game's case, Skull Town. Worse here due to the squad nature of the game, where

IGkFV80.png

We always just drop Thunderdome now. Grab some purple shields with a spitfire and then mop up whatever mess is left over in skulltown.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Became first yesterday after my teammates got killed and left within the first minutes and I finished off the last 3-player-squad in the last circle.
Had to take a shower after that.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
did they buff the flatline? that thing does not bounce around like it used to

Nope. It bounces around like it used to.

Low time to kill compared to the R301, less predictable recoil and more difficult ammo management. No reason to use it over the R301 really.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
One trophy away from 100% this game and I can't get it to save my life... I need the equip both Legendary Armor & Helmet trophy and I can consistently get one or the other but not both. It got to a point yesterday that I was pissed off because we won the game but I was unable to loot the last guy I killed who had legendary armor because he was the last kill. Oh well, I'm sure it will come
All I've needed for weeks now is the one for getting 5000 damage with 8 Legends. I haven't played Bloodhound since the first week of the Battle Pass (he's still sitting at 25,000 survival bonus XP out of, what now, 150,000 total possible XP) and I dont use Caustic. So I'm not sure when I'll end up getting it. I should probably look and see how far off I am from getting 5000 damage with Bloodhound and just force myself to use him until I hit the number.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
That moment when you realize you only have 20 bullets left in a basic R-99 and need headshots.
Lmo15Dl.png

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So I was looking at the roadmap again and I forgot that it said we'd also be getting new loot each season (aside from new weapons). And it shows a supply bin, so it's not referring to skins. I don't think we've gotten any yet? Wonder what it could be.

An Update on Apex Legends (4/25/19)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
https://bit.ly/2KZaIYb
To say that the launch of Apex Legends exceeded our expectations would be an understatement. 50 million players in the first month (and more since) is staggering for any game, let alone a new IP from a relatively small team who were taking their first swing at a free-to-play game.

Rapid growth is a wonderful thing to achieve, and we're thrilled with the response we've received since launch. However, that growth comes with some clear challenges, and we've hit a few bumps along the way, including missteps with our updates, not giving players enough visibility into future content, and not properly setting expectations on how we plan to support Apex Legends.

We are 100% committed to the long-term growth of Apex Legends, and supporting the millions playing every day. So today we want to reset our commitment to you and give you some insight into where we are as a development team and how we're approaching live service for Apex Legends.

Getting a huge player base in a very short period means exploits, bugs, cheaters, and more come fast and frequently. We've had to react and direct resources to play whack-a-mole with lots of unexpected issues. Since launch, we've shipped a number of server and client patches that have addressed a range of issues.

While we've made some good progress towards a healthier game, as our community grows issues have come up that need to be addressed. The stability of Apex Legends is very important to us, and we've been doing a lot of work internally to improve our processes across the board. As we are getting our house in order, some of the critical things we're prioritizing are:

Slow Server Performance at the Beginning of a Match

• So far, we know that it affects some datacenters more than others, it happens on many different server configurations, and it doesn't seem to hit multiple server instances running on the same machine. In other words, it's not that a machine is overloaded and everything on it is running too slow – it's that one instance on the same machine seems to be doing more work than the others, and we're trying to nail down what work it's doing and work backwards to understand the root cause. This is extremely high priority for us, and we'll keep you updated on our progress.
Audio Issues

• Currently testing some potential fixes that will hopefully address many of the performance issues we've seen reported.
Cheaters

Hit Registration Issues

• We are adding engine features to help track down and report instances of incorrect hit registration in playtests so we can force the bug and reproduce the issue consistently. While we have made some progress with some fixes locally, more work needs to be done to address the root of the problem.
Over the next few weeks we'll talk more about the work that's being done in these areas and provide updates about when we'll be addressing them in future patches.

We know that, in addition to addressing issues with the game, everyone is hungry for us to add new content. The studio culture that we've worked hard to cultivate, and the health of our team are very important. We take those things into account when we discuss our content roadmap, the production schedule, and the frequency in which we can update the game. Our long-term goal is to ensure Apex Legends always feels alive and thriving, with a focus on quality of content over novelty or speed of release. At the same time, we want to maintain our culture as a development team and avoid crunch that can quickly lead to burnout or worse.

At launch we shared a high-level view of our roadmap, showcasing how we would be taking a seasonal approach to live service. Today we want to provide more clarity on what you can expect for content and update cadence in the future:

Season Launches

• The beginning of each season will start big with a new Battle Pass, a new Legend, something new for the meta, and more.
Thoughtful Updates Throughout the Season

• Just as we've done since launch, we will continue to address exploits, necessary balance changes, bug fixes, and small features throughout the course of a season. For complete transparency, our goal isn't, and never has been, to patch or update content on a weekly basis. We believe strongly in the importance of large, meaningful changes to the game that have lasting impact, thus our focus on a seasonal release cadence we laid out at launch. We will continue to follow this cadence in the future.
Improved Communication

• We need to provide more visibility into the future, and what we're working on. That doesn't mean we're going to start telling folks everything they want to know when they want to know it, but you can expect more transparency on future updates and fewer surprise drops.
At EA PLAY in June, we will give you the first details on what you can expect from Season 2. We've seen all the feedback on Season 1 and look forward to showing you the improvements we're making. For Season 2 you can expect a Battle Pass with more meaningful content, the introduction of a new Legend, the debut of a new weapon . . . and you didn't expect Kings Canyon to stay the same forever, did you?

Lastly, regarding other games in development at Respawn, it is important to understand that there are entirely separate development teams working on Apex Legends and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Additionally, in order to fully support Apex Legends, we are pushing out plans for future Titanfall games. No resources from the Apex Legends team are being shifted to other titles in development here at the studio, nor are we pulling resources from the team working on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

We know we have a lot of work ahead of us, but we're up to the challenge and are looking forward to building Apex Legends to its full potential together with our players.

Drew McCoy
Executive Producer
Apex Legends

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Our long-term goal is to ensure Apex Legends always feels alive and thriving, with a focus on quality of content over novelty or speed of release. At the same time, we want to maintain our culture as a development team and avoid crunch that can quickly lead to burnout or worse.
Was under the impression, but grateful to hear. F'ING THANK YOU

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Interesting. So it looks like a new legend every season, which is ... 13 weeks?

I wish there was a mention of a new map, a new game mode, or some sort of prestige mode so we can start earning loot ticks after we hit the level cap. A new legend and "something for the meta" isn't much to get excited about after a 13 week wait.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, "content" four times a year seems pretty bleak for a battle royale. I am curious what they mean by "more meaningful content" in the next battle pass, so I guess I won't pass any serious judgment until then.

As previously stated in the thread, there are ways to keep it fresh for players beyond new characters and weapons. They could really use a rotating playlist that remixes the core game we already have in different ways.

Also finding the conflation of wanting a faster update cadence, better communication and bugs to be fixed as an endorsement of the 100-hour work week to be pretty bizarre. No one is asking the same people to work longer to achieve these things.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
They're a smaller team and can't be expected to release new content and fix existing content at the same time with high frequency. I think that's what they're saying.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
How about adding a Mayhem mode similar to what Destiny did? All ability cooldowns are super fast and you get ults faster too. This doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to implement. Maybe boost the player count to 100 since it'd be pure insanity and matches would be faster.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
While he promised more details during the event, McCoy did say you can expect each Apex Legends season going forward to feature a new Battle Pass, Legend, and something "new for the meta, and more."

This will be incorporated alongside fixing exploits, making balance changes, smashing bugs, and providing small features throughout the course of a season.

The Season 2 Battle Pass, he said, will feature more "meaningful content, the introduction of a new Legend, the debut of a new weapon." You can also expect some changes happening to Kings Canyon.

"We know we have a lot of work ahead of us, but we're up to the challenge and are looking forward to building Apex Legends to its full potential together with our players," stated McCoy.

Are they fucking serious???? I thought the one character was going to be just for the first season. Are they actually planning to release ONE WEAPON and ONE CHARACTER per season? Are they bonkers? I defended them all day every day but they can honestly sod off now, this is pathetic content. Not even Overwatch was this poor. Basically they are planning 4 characters and 4 weapons PER YEAR plus minor changes.

I am done honestly. Regret buying the first season pass, this game is going to be abandoned soon by me

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, "content" four times a year seems pretty bleak for a battle royale. I am curious what they mean by "more meaningful content" in the next battle pass, so I guess I won't pass any serious judgment until then.
Barring Fortnite, which we KNOW is working its devs to the bones to pump content, isn't this pace par for the course for other BR games?

PUBG, especially on console, is updated at a literal snails pace. Not to mention that updates on console very frequently cause more problems than they solve. Blackout is definitely better but how much actual "content" has really been added to the game?

I'm totally fine with them being deliberate with the changes and content they're making. Looking forward to seeing the next Legend as well as the adjustments to the map that they've mentioned.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I honestly thought that we were getting two legends and two weapons per season, and that Wattson and the L-Star were right around the corner. Guess I overhyped myself.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought it was two weapons and two heroes per season? Lol. Shiiiiiiiet.

Interest dead.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck crunch and all that.. but uuh they won't even follow the original roadmap?

What happened? 50 million players happened I guess.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, what an 'update' from them. I can't wait to get to work in an hour and read r/ApexLegends. Guess it's better to be let down now rather than get excited every Tuesday for the next five or six weeks and be let down repeatedly.
It's got me wondering what EA must be thinking about Apex right now. I thought that one of the big goals of publishers for modern online games was to try to get people playing you're game exclusively, to hook people and have them getting on every day. Especially for F2P games and GaaS title. This statement giving people who are getting burnt out on the game and wanting new stuff the go-ahead to take a month-long break from the game clashes with that.

Last edited:

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, extremely disappointed. One character and one weapon every season is straight up laughable. All they're saying is more "we hear you" which they've been saying this whole time. Sigh

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Are they fucking serious???? I thought the one character was going to be just for the first season. Are they actually planning to release ONE WEAPON and ONE CHARACTER per season? Are they bonkers? I defended them all day every day but they can honestly sod off now, this is pathetic content. Not even Overwatch was this poor. Basically they are planning 4 characters and 4 weapons PER YEAR plus minor changes.

I am done honestly. Regret buying the first season pass, this game is going to be abandoned soon by me
you spent $10 on a game you enjoyed a lot up til this point? oh no

Wow, what an 'update' from them. I can't wait to get to work in an hour and read r/ApexLegends. Guess it's better to be let down now rather than get excited every Tuesday for the next five or six weeks and be let down repeatedly.
It's got me wondering what EA must be thinking about Apex right now. I thought that one of the big goals of publishers for modern online games was to try to get people playing you're game exclusively, to hook people and have them getting on every day. Especially for F2P games and GaaS title. This statement giving people who are getting burnt out on the game and wanting new stuff the go-ahead to take a month-long break from the game clashes with that.
it's weird how people seem to want a game to be life consuming. it's okay to take breaks.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

You spent $10. Are you serious? Think about what you're saying here.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
How many times have we heard "we hear you" and "we are going to work on our communication"? Seems to be there will be no significant update until June? That's really a bummer. I understand that they don't want crunchtime I highly support this. But it can't be that hard or time consuming to release something like daily and weekly challenges. Or do some fun limited time modes. Especially with the Legends they have endless abilities. For example do a mode where everybody is pathfinder and there's no cooldown on the grapple hook... if it doesn't work and it's not fun: who cares, it's gone in a week. But at least the community sees that you are doing something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's really just a whole load of nothing. It's nice to hear they're actively avoiding the dreadful crunch culture, at least. I'd never wish 70-hour weeks and endless crunching on anyone just for my own enjoyment of a game.

From my point of view, what the game desperately needs right now is definitely more game modes, particularly more goofier and casual ones that people have been talking about for a while now.

This is too much, though.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
you spent $10 on a game you enjoyed a lot up til this point? oh no

it's weird how people seem to want a game to be life consuming. it's okay to take breaks.
You spent $10. Are you serious? Think about what you're saying here.
It's not about the 10 bucks for fuck sake, it's about the fact that I unlocked stuff that I will never use again and obviously I regret having hope for a game that will be interesting to play again in a year.

I really hope the guy interviewed got it wrong

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Things like solo or duo modes aren't exactly taxing. How do I know? I've had plenty of games start where others have disconnected or quit and left me as a 1 or 2 man squad. For a short term fix they could easily push DUOs as is by just limiting party/matchmaking to two players per squad. Fuck all changes and testing really because we've already experienced this as players in the live game environment.

That sort of thing to me shows a willingness to push content. Do a quick fix then take your time to flesh out a solo or duo mode later on with added tweaks, features, rewards and changes etc.

It also feels like cheaters are pretty rampant with Apex TBH, so I understand them having to spend large amounts of resources dealing with that.

I'd prefer a new map over a changed map personally. I imagine that's a huge undertaking but I would prefer a new map at say 60% of the size. Faster games, quicker combats and they can tweak the loot/circle timings around that output as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.