• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

Seems duo's is coming back.

giphy.gif

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I am starting to really fucking love Season 4. I'm always queuing up with at least one friend granted, but I've got 12 wins so far as my main man Caustic, which is pretty exciting. My performance is, at the moment, WAY up from Season 3 and even Season 2 which is really gratifying; I struggled a lot in Season 3 and it was often frustrating. I don't know what it is about my play aptitude since S4 dropped but I'm having a great time. I think a big part is that I've pivoted towards weapons I've largely ignored and slept on, specifically the Prowler and L-STAR now that it's a normal weapon, and I am tearing up with them.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Oh god, I knew that drop ship trajectory was gonna be a problem, I'm just thankful to the Apex Gods that it wasn't my team who took the blow 😂

And yes, we were in ranked!

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
New to the game, it's fun but jeesh, every game it feels like there are nothing but premades running around.
Welcome! It's nice to see the perspective of a newcomer. If the anecdotal experience of myself and long-time players in this thread are true, you're probably being matched with at least one high-leveled player to "balance things out" - which is ultimately useless when they pit you against a premade squad of Predators.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does LFG actually work? Iv'e messed about with it a bit in Sea of thieves, but iv'e never really thought of using it with this?

Will Certainly give it a go when i come back.
100%.

It is the lifeblood of Sea of Thieves and I will use it in Apex for ranked. Very active as well. There are posts ranging from

TRYHARD PUB SWEATS. MUST BE AGGRESSIVE. MUST HAVE 2K BADGE. WILL CHECK STATS.

to

just lookin to chill and play

I usually just find one for ranked that has people similar rank to me and go from there. Worst thing happens is they are assholes and you just quit and try again.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just came back to apex for the new season I haven't played since MW came out in October. I had back to back wins yesterday then the sbmm really kicked in and and now this game is just not fun solo.

playing against organized predator squads shouldn't be a thing when I'm matched with players who don't even use mics it's super frustrating. Like every lobby the champion team is stacked 20-30k kills all the badges it's ridiculous.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I just came back to apex for the new season I haven't played since MW came out in October. I had back to back wins yesterday then the sbmm really kicked in and and now this game is just not fun solo.

playing against organized predator squads shouldn't be a thing when I'm matched with players who don't even use mics it's super frustrating. Like every lobby the champion team is stacked 20-30k kills all the badges it's ridiculous.

Then play ranked? You should be reset low at this point if you haven't played in that long. You would have to make your way up the ranks to hit players like you are describing.

Ranked is the better mode anyway as far as random teammates go. No dropping out when downed and will try for revives when it makes sense.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
How do I get good? I'm struggling to do well in teamfights, I can't manage myself on hot drops, and when I get into fights I can hit anything for shit because of people ADAD spamming and dancing through my rifle, SMG, and shotgun bullets.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Then play ranked? You should be reset low at this point if you haven't played in that long. You would have to make your way up the ranks to hit players like you are describing.

Ranked is the better mode anyway as far as random teammates go. No dropping out when downed and will try for revives when it makes sense.

yeah I didn't want to handicap my team since I haven't played in so long. I'm probably going to jump into ranked today since duos is out tomorrow and I haven't played that at all yet.

They got match making wrong if pubs are harder than ranked.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
How do I get good? I'm struggling to do well in teamfights, I can't manage myself on hot drops, and when I get into fights I can hit anything for shit because of people ADAD spamming and dancing through my rifle, SMG, and shotgun bullets.

At the start I think avoiding engagements until you get a decent gun, shield/helmet is key. Yes at times you can't avoid a fight but I've seen people rush into a fight with no shield thinking they would win with an R99 by itself. Of course if someone is right next to you when landing just grab a gun and fire at them. Otherwise just keep tabs where the enemies landed and loot away from them. I also try to land in areas that can be escaped from easily. I can land at train or capital city but I tend to land on the outskirts in case I don't get loot I can fallback and loot on the run. Landing in the middle and not getting items is only going to get you surrounded by multiple teams.

I've found from watching pro streams and evaluating my own deaths I mostly would be out of position. Watching pros when they get fired on you can see they immediately try to get into cover. Just a simple loot bin can be enough to turn a fight into your favor. Just knowing where cover is before engaging if key for where to move during firefights. Also falling back far when hurt isn't a bad thing. Going around the corner for a phoenix kit isn't far enough sometimes. You have plenty of time to revive or get the banner and don't need to stay right next to your team if your hurt.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

One of the biggest things in BRs is positioning. Things like being out in the open as you fight someone who can keep strafing behind cover, or being open to get hit from multiple angles. Not fully running into teams and making it a situation where SOMEBODY is guaranteed to die and it might be you, that's usually something to do after someone gets a down so you have a numbers advantage (though randoms...will do whatever).

Some stuff you can't really help, like jumpmasters that will send you into a drop that has multiple teams scrambling for something, you open bins and get a mozambique and a wraith with an L-STAR and purple armor slides around the corner. But this is (somewhat) helped over time just by getting map knowledge and knowing better spots to land that let you rotate around to other loot spots pretty easily if things don't look so hot immediately. But even the best players will die on drop sometimes.

If aim is a bigger issue the firing range might help, but it's not super useful to translate directly into how actual fights pan out. Maybe tweak sens/FoV.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch streams and keep playing/practicing. Be aggresive and get in fights if you want to get better.

Play conservative if you want to win.

Side note: This is the first time I've ever heard of someone referring to strafing as "ADAD spam" as if its some cheap tactic lmao

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I've gotten better at BRs by constantly dropping hot. Either you die immediately, or you fight through the gauntlet (Tilted Towers from FN, Skulltown on Kings Canyon).

It also just depends on your threshold for bullshit because like I said, you're either dying first, dying half way through the hot drop, or actually surviving.

But the one thing that's constant is you'll see action as soon as you touch down. You'll get a feel for guns and you'll see which ones you like. You'll have an idea of how characters hit boxes and abilities look like. You'll get an idea of the sound design (if it works).

Keep in mind I'm not recommended this to help you achieve a W. I'm recommending this because it's the quickest way to put you in the action, and it'll expose you to the luck based RNG cluster fuck that battle royales intrinsically suffer from. And the more confident you are holding a gun in the heat of battle especially if people have better armor or attachments (because you will have to fight an "uphill" battle against purple armors with your measly white or blue armor at times), the better you'll feel about engaging in fights when you're actually trying to go for the W and playing slow.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
One skill I have in this game that came pretty easy to me is the one of positioning, being aware of my surroundings, anticipating paths and choosing one that I feel will be less traveled and dangerous, seeing covers on my way to somewhere, and using them. Basically, when I play I'm extremely aware of my surroundings at all times, and I have managed to escape dire situations many many times thanks to that. Jumping and sliding allows you to go faster, running without weapons out allows you to go faster, so when I do both, along with strategic positioning, it pays off, and I survive.

I became a much better shooter nowadays than at start, but my aim? It's still average to good, I'll never be god-tier no matter how hard I try, so I had to develop other skills to survive in the game, and I feel I developed them quite well? I often end up being the only one surviving member of my team in ranked, because while I know when to engage, I also know when to retreat. One afternoon I played with my SO and a friend, we joked about it because they kept saying Lifeline is a good character but has no escape, and yet I made them notice how I was the one always being faster & ahead of everybody, surviving, while they had troubles keeping up, or were dead and spectating me.

Heck, I can even drive enemy teams mad if they try to chase me all across the map. Anyway, yeah, movement, map awareness, paths planning are all excellent skills to have. I check the map at least every time a new ring pops, and chose where to go and how to get there. If I'm lucky, I have cooperative teammates who are easily collaborating and reactive, and would follow me. If I'm extra lucky, we on the same brainwave lengths and we have the same reactions at the same time, and we'll follow each other. If I'm not lucky at all, I just have dead weights that more often than not end up making me die if I try to care too much about them. And it's hard, because I always try to retrieve people's banners if I can. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes I obviously can't and have to dip. Sometimes I try to and die anyway.

It is also important to know when to engage fights or disengage. Is the ring coming? You're gonna die to it like a dumb dumb trying to kill and loot someone. Are you late and finally arriving to the edge of it? You might get sandwiched if you stay, you've got to keep moving, be ahead of it. Not let yourself be cornered by the ring nor by a potential enemy team waiting for latecomers in order to finish them. I feel like people in this game are way too thirsty for kills all the time, and they have absolutely very little idea when or when not to go fight or dip the fuck away, when it is worth it, and when it's not. 90% of my deaths in solo ranked, are because I was trying to help a teammate (or two) who engaged people they shouldn't have engaged at all in the position they had, should they have had a modicum of common sense. And it gets exhausting at times.

EDIT: Having great headphones with spatialized sound is a must-have in this game, btw. It saved my ass way too many times.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Watch streams and keep playing/practicing. Be aggresive and get in fights if you want to get better.

Play conservative if you want to win.

Side note: This is the first time I've ever heard of someone referring to strafing as "ADAD spam" as if its some cheap tactic lmao
It's not a cheap tactic, it's just a tactic. Strafing is one thing, rapidly hopping left and right is another. They're different, so I call them different names.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Sure as hell doesn't make me wanna help any Revenant

I was thinking the exact same thing this afternoon while playing with a Revenant main haha. The commanding lines make me want to trash most of my stuff in the lava and just see him cry because he didn't get what he wanted ahahah.

But I don't do it ofc.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the change they did to dailies. Having 4 each day, one of them seemingly always being just "play 2 games" is nice.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I'm averaging about 2 wins a day right now and I'm only playing about an hour a day during work breaks. I think they tweaked the SBMM algorithm or something. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I think my performance is more likely due to the solo queue than my actual skill. With teammates who aren't pointlessly aggressive (and more importantly, patient), I can drop 3, 5, even 8 kills in a match. When the cogs in the machine aren't spinning, nobody's winning.

Kinda makes me itch for solos to come back to see how I'd do.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
After trying, failing and giving up time after time at getting good with the wingman the last 3 seasons, I'm finally getting the hang of it.
The combination of the S4 changes, maining a new legend (Wattson) and increasing my skill with such a difficult but rewarding weapon has really freshened up this game for me.

Also, now that I'm no longer maining Gibby, I've noticed just how difficult it is to beat him in a 1v1. Makes it that much more satisfying when I counter his ult with mine.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Finally made it to Diamond tonight, after scoring a few wins. Platinum progress is kinda fast once you start racking up good positions and wins.

Had some great casual matches to unwind as well. This one in particular was super great but I just had a ton of fun at the beginning, steadily improving in gear as I scavenged dead enemies for loot in an effort to grab a rando's banner who valiantly *gasp* didn't disconnect immediately when kicking the bucket:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate that you get match penalties when you quit out of a ranked game where your 2 squad mates are missing from before the game even starts. That's incredibly unfair. They shouldn't be punishing players for inconsistent or poor match making.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My son got 6 wins in a row last night, he doesn't play much but i was so envious seeing the teams he came up against. In 3 of his games he was a team of 3 vs a solo player in the final circle.

I was trying to shoot him advice as he was playing, but he didn't really need it, everything just fell into place.

Also, Gibraltar is the best character hands down for new players. You don't have to be quick with him, just make sure your using ADS when enemies approach and you're not so great aim/reactions will be compensated by the gun shield.

Oct 27, 2017
Our first ranked match of the season. We started at gold II (demoted from diamond 4). I swear to you guys, more than half the lobby had predator trails and the rest were diamond. We were baffled. The next match was much more in line with gold. It almost felt like a glitch.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Our first ranked match of the season. We started at gold II (demoted from diamond 4). I swear to you guys, more than half the lobby had predator trails and the rest were diamond. We were baffled. The next match was much more in line with gold. It almost felt like a glitch.

Could it be the trails from previous season? I retained my diamond trails. It shouldn't pair you up beyond one tier.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I finally got two good teamates in ranked and we got over 1500 damage each and won the match. They invite me afterwards but not to the party probably because I don´t speak spanish, kinda weird but ok. They were both good enough that I didn´t need to speak to them and I just tried to be a good teammate. Almost won the next match too and after that every time we que up the game crashes. They gave up on me simply because we weren´t physically able to play with each other. How come a one year old game that made millions of dollars for EA/Respawn does not have not shit servers? Where are they investing the money into because it obviously isn´t the game?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Happened to me and two friends of mine as well. For whatever reason, in the very first ranked game we played we were still ranked diamond. We were demoted properly only after finishing that game.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Yeah, i mentioned earlier in the tread that ranked is a mess.

I'm silver 2 and i got matched with 2 predator Diamond players against other players of various levels.

I think the game seem has some weird SBMM where it sort of weighs the entire team in... like 2 Diamond and a Silver is the same as 3 Platinum.

Whatever it is, it doesnt work. In that game the Duo hot dropped away from me and were killed pretty quickly. I didn't stand a chance.

One thing is for sure, i will never be good enough for that 20 bomb badge.....ever. No amount of practice or luck is getting me that.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually want to die. My squad vs the only other squad left and my Bangalore teammate refuses to use their ultimate, or even cover us with their smoke. We're sat pretty and safe in my Wattson ultimate as well. Just fuckin' nuke the enemy! Could have been an easy win.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I have to interject here, because:
I am 100% that Lifeline.

Unless you spent your time to ping Ultimate Accelerants in order for me to call a care package much sooner, unless you brought them to me and covered me while I was using them, I will side-eye the fuck out of anyone jumping like a loot goblin on the body shield level 3 that my care package will deliver.

And EVEN if you helped me with Ultimate Accelerants, be a polite and decent teammate, ping and ask for it first, chances are I'd give it gladly to anyone I feel deserve it more, and I have done so many times in the past. But don't fucking loot it as soon as the care package drops, especially if we don't know each other. I swear to god this is just the fucking worst behavior ever as a Lifeline main because this is just goddamn disrespectful as fuck and it happens ALL THE TIME. The number of time I had random scumbags just stealing it right in front of me while they had done shit during the game to help me (none of them pinging ultimate accelerants not even once and I had to check buildings they've already looted in to find them) or the whole team, is astounding. To those people, this game is "a team game" only when the care package drops, thinking it's a free for all, but resume being solo pricks as soon as there's no Lifeline care package involved. Most of the times they go back to ignoring your existence and pings, and go die in the most idiotic ways and freely give that body shield to an enemy team. Brilliant.

And yes, I don't joke with that, I just (gently) scolded my SO earlier today about it while playing with them.
Don't be a fucking loot goblin, especially with the body shield since we all need it. If you ain't done shit to help me, I don't see why you deserve it more than me.
Yeah you expect your teammates to be polite. But that isn't gonna happen. I would totally let lifeline get first pick of everything that drops. But at least 60% of players not only don't do this but also run to your drop and take everything. It's definitely worse at the beginning of new seasons. The worst players come back during the beginning.

You also can't expect your teammates to ping. They just run around pick up everything and ping nothing.

I disagree with you on bodyshields though they are first come first serve. You really can't expect players to pass up lvl 3 or 4 shields so that you can have them.........Unless you mean only ones from your lifeline drop. I do agree that high shields in a lifeline drop should go to lifeline.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah you expect your teammates to be polite. But that isn't gonna happen. I would totally let lifeline get first pick of everything that drops. But at least 60% of players not only don't do this but also run to your drop and take everything. It's definitely worse at the beginning of new seasons. The worst players come back during the beginning.

You also can't expect your teammates to ping. They just run around pick up everything and ping nothing.

I disagree with you on bodyshields though they are first come first serve. You really can't expect players to pass up lvl 3 or 4 shields so that you can have them.........Unless you mean only ones from your lifeline drop. I do agree that high shields in a lifeline drop should go to lifeline.

I do mean only the ones from Lifeline's Care Package. Game's Care Packages are free4all and I have no problem with that.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Welcome! It's nice to see the perspective of a newcomer. If the anecdotal experience of myself and long-time players in this thread are true, you're probably being matched with at least one high-leveled player to "balance things out" - which is ultimately useless when they pit you against a premade squad of Predators.

Thanks!

Well, the game after that post I ended up winning haha. We stuck together and used pings a lot. On the other hand, a full premade (with mics) is always going to dumpster most random squads (unless there's a huge skill discrepancy). It's funny how you can know immediately at the jump what you're in for, for that particular game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.