• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I played quite a bit this past weekend, and I gotta say I really liked it! I'm surprised, since this is the first BR game I'm actually interested in keep playing. I needed another online FPS that isn't Battlefield.

What made me like this is how quick it is to get invested into a match, or well, getting into matches after dying. My main issue with the BR genre is the loop of waiting - deploying - getting killed - waiting - deploying - etc. Apex feels much faster and easier to get into. Didn't win any match, but it didn't felt frustrating really. There's always something to learn when you die

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So I played quite a bit this past weekend, and I gotta say I really liked it! I'm surprised, since this is the first BR game I'm actually interested in keep playing. I needed another online FPS that isn't Battlefield.

What made me like this is how quick it is to get invested into a match, or well, getting into matches after dying. My main issue with the BR genre is the loop of waiting - deploying - getting killed - waiting - deploying - etc. Apex feels much faster and easier to get into. Didn't win any match, but it didn't felt frustrating really. There's always something to learn when you die
It helps that there's no in-match lobby. Going back to PUBG now feels like a step back.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Pathfinder's grapple has no reason to have 13 seconds of cooldown. You can get instant highground or grapple to the other side of a hill, and by the time you're done sliding the cooldown is already at 7 seconds. With a golden helmet you shave off another 2 seconds. Ridiculous.

Bloodhound's scan has a 30 seconds cooldown, lasts 2 seconds, and immediately gives away your position

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Is that the only setup you've tried so far? I'm curious about that method versus what I'm using which is having jump and reload on the paddles so I never have to worry about taking my thumbs off the sticks in gunfights. I've gotten pretty good at clawing over to the d-pad for healing (also memorizing where items are on the wheel is a huge help).
I tried a number of things. The back buttons are just not comfortable for a ton of usage, and I can reload and jump just as fast with the buttons. Typically jumping in a fight is not something you'll do much of in my experience and reload is also something you do less of during a fight than you'd think.

When it comes to heal/shield and grenade though, they are just the hardest things to use consistently and require you to literally stop moving to use them. The right stick for aiming can be neglected at times... but movement? IMO that should always be happening, and this way I always am moving. Even times I'm trying to outrun or am in the storm and need to heal, I tend to get it right now where I still see people failing to do it on the run in a storm.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Pathfinder's grapple has no reason to have 13 seconds of cooldown. You can get instant highground or grapple to the other side of a hill, and by the time you're done sliding the cooldown is already at 7 seconds. With a golden helmet you shave off another 2 seconds. Ridiculous.

Bloodhound's scan has a 30 seconds cooldown, lasts 2 seconds, and immediately gives away your position
I say add a grapple to every Legend's kit, but with a high cool down like 30 seconds, then leave Pathfinder as is with the quicker cooldown, maybe a little longer.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde

Definitely a blessing and a curse. If you're having a bad night it can feel shitty dying like every 3-5 minutes but long game in apex is usually only like 15ish minutes. You compare that to PUBG where it was normal to have 20 min+ games.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I've always thought that the way to go was buffing the trash weapons and characters instead of nerfing the fun ones, but they mostly do the opposite.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that everyone with YT or TTV in their name needs to be a sweaty try hard? Every time I play with one they feel the need to go off on their own, get killed and duck over the rest of the team because they tried to take down a squad by themselves

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The problem with that is they're already out of buttons. Not going to happen.
Not an issue on PC, but for console they could do something like press and hold tactical to do the grapple, tap to do your Legend's ability.

I know it's not going to happen, but I think it would go a long way towards preventing Pathfinder from being the default character if you crave a little mobility. He'd still have ziplines and a faster grapple, so he'd definitely still be useful.

But I know we won't see a fundamental change like that at this point. Maybe for Apex 2!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still need that Pilot character so someone can rival PF's mobility.

And while we are on a Pilot/Titanfall ability kick,

replace bloodhounds pulse with the pulse knife. Make it deal 10 damage to whoever it hits. A pulse propogates from the knife revealing enemy locations. The legend who got stabbed by it is revealed in x second intervals until they heal.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Still need that Pilot character so someone can rival PF's mobility.
Honestly, I don't see how anybody could rival PF's mobility. Gapple has always been king of mobility if you know how to use it going back to Titanfall 2; the only real contender to the throne is Stim (Octane) and he's never been on the same level as Pathfinder.

Even with a double jump and a wall-run, nobody is challenging Pathy's domiance any time soon.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Octane while on a stim should also be able to climb like Revenant.

Octane is more of a hazard on this new map. I jump padded over a structure to only realize a fissure was on the other side. I was on the edge before saving the landing.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
That feeling when you've just risked your ass in ranked to grab someones banner only for them to drop from the sky,ignore your pings of enemies approaching and run right at them trying to punch them to death....followed by them spam pinging once again when they die.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you've just risked your ass in ranked to grab someones banner only for them to drop from the sky,ignore your pings of enemies approaching and run right at them trying to punch them to death....followed by them spam pinging once again when they die.
This reminds me.

Bring back solos, I had fun in that mode.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't see how anybody could rival PF's mobility. Gapple has always been king of mobility if you know how to use it going back to Titanfall 2; the only real contender to the throne is Stim (Octane) and he's never been on the same level as Pathfinder.

Even with a double jump and a wall-run, nobody is challenging Pathy's domiance any time soon.
Double jump and wall run sounds great for Octane.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The camping in ranked gold this season is out of this world....I don't think I've ever seen such hardcore camping in any game ever. Can you imagine being sat in a corner for 5 mins?....for what....a game cosmetic? My god

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I guess I'm not sure why anyone should challenge Pathfinder's mobility. That's all he's got. It's not breaking the game. It's just his kit. Is it fun to do? Sure! It's also fun to drop barrages on people's heads, jump pad to some unknown high point, spot an enemy team with your drone and sneak up on them and wipe them out, bamboozle people into going the wrong way, etc.

The fun of this game isn't in everyone having the same abilities. It's in how you use the abilities of the team you create to survive and win.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The camping in ranked gold this season is out of this world....I don't think I've ever seen such hardcore camping in any game ever. Can you imagine being sat in a corner for 5 mins?....for what....a game cosmetic? My god
And everyone wants to be the third partier in Silver/Gold, so the moment one team engages another, all the camping teams come out of the woodwork and it's a total bloodbath.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm not sure why anyone should challenge Pathfinder's mobility. That's all he's got. It's not breaking the game. It's just his kit. Is it fun to do? Sure! It's also fun to drop barrages on people's heads, jump pad to some unknown high point, spot an enemy team with your drone and sneak up on them and wipe them out, bamboozle people into going the wrong way, etc.

The fun of this game isn't in everyone having the same abilities. It's in how you use the abilities of the team you create to survive and win.
I've been having a lot of success as Caustic recently but literally EVERY SINGLE GAME I miss having a grapple.

I always gravitate toward mobile characters. Pharrah was my main in OW and I stuck with her despite meta changed. Hammond was the one new character I fell in love with. Also another highly mobile character.

I sucked with Dva tho

And everyone wants to be the third partier in Silver/Gold, so the moment one team engages another, all the camping teams come out of the woodwork and it's a total bloodbath.

omg this is like a top worst feeling of the game, especially in ranked.

You see 3 squads remaining. You have great positioning. Gonna wait for the mop up. When all of a sudden one of the team breaks the silence and engages your squad. You know even if you beat them the other squad is gonna roll in for the easy mop up. All because the other squad chose to engage you.
--

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm struggling to get out of Platinum IV this is honestly so damn fucking hard to find teammates who play well enough, don't do dumb shit, and are reactive, I swear to god this solo grind is gonna drive me crazy.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
I'm struggling to get out of Platinum IV this is honestly so damn fucking hard to find teammates who play well enough, don't do dumb shit, and are reactive, I swear to god this solo grind is gonna drive me crazy.

what platform are you on? I'm trying to grind ranked too and yeah it's a nightmare. I hit diamond solo in s2 but didn't play much ranked in s2, am currently gold II

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that everyone with YT or TTV in their name needs to be a sweaty try hard? Every time I play with one they feel the need to go off on their own, get killed and duck over the rest of the team because they tried to take down a squad by themselves
I would say in 90%+ of my experiences with those kind of players, they are bad, always jump for the hottest zones, die first, then quit before we even get a chance to recover them. Just tonight I had one quit during the jump because I picked the character they wanted, I honestly thought after a year we were past that, but I guess not.

This is definitely me venting into the void and being a broken record, but fuck me the quitting problem is ruining casual mode. Again just tonight, guy dies in the first minute, quits almost immediately. Less than 15 seconds later, we wiped the entire squad. Do they not realize that this is making a key part of gameplay (respawning) worthless? Something has to be done, a matchmaking timeout, XP loss/penalty, an additional matchmaking factor based on quitting percentage, anything to make it tolerable because it's fucking frustrating enough with the SBMM matching me with trash cans but sure enough I consistently get bested by people that are 1-200 levels higher than me.

I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed a game so much, but have been almost equally as frustrated with it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
L Star up close is crazy good

are they sure they wanted to swap devotion and L-star?

Oct 25, 2017
L Star up close is crazy good

are they sure they wanted to swap devotion and L-star?

aye, 'tis gud up close.

golden devotion RIPS like fkn crazy... defo a special item now.

picked one up after a respawn late in a game today and we ended up winning, was kinda exciting.

ps - somethin'gs definitely bugged with grabbing items in bins rn, keep getting fucked by missing what i want or accidentally swapping?!? didn't happen in S3 at all

Last edited:

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Right now I'm using prowler + select receiver and L Star (or Spitfire) as my main and secondary respectively.

Absolutely love the Prowler on auto.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
New season is not enough to keep me here. New legend sucks and new gun sucks. Map changes make the map even more susceptible to 3rd parties. No thanks.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I def need some peeps to play this with. I feel like I can eek out one win every other night but I feel like I'd be doing much better if I just had some people to coordinate with.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I'm really starting to get the feeling that there are far too many grenades around this season.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
had one of the luckiest games i've played in a while.

landed drill site - immediately jump onto an l-star and blue armor. a mirage probably didn't see this and assumed i just ran into the room. i tossed down a canister for good measure, but mirage had popped the door open so the canister just kept it open and i couldn't close it. he was already shooting me but he had no shields, so i cut him down pretty easily, except now i had no shields. two other teams were there and fighting while our team was spread out. took care of the mirage and went out to knock down a shieldless bangalore and a bloodhound with no health who had just thirsted our bloodhound. was briefly the kill leader as a result and grabbed some purple armor and got the respawn off for our bloodhound. we flew in to mirage voyage and then to thermal.

bloodhound never got off his heals so at the train station at thermal, he was getting healed up when another team jumped us. i tossed canisters down in the big building, and our octane ran circles around two of their team members while a wraith followed our weakened bloodhound inside. she even ran through the gas and we fought to a stalemate when neither one of us had much health left (i had a small sliver). tossed down a canister and a frag grenade and the gas was what did it.

more fighting, this time at sorting factory. we take a pathfinder's zipline up to the roundhouse overlooking tree, and there was a team with a wattson, a wraith, and the pathfinder who was probably already dead, because their wraith set up a portal to a revive station. when she came back through, bloodhound and i cut her down, and the wattson appeared briefly to realize just what a problem she was in, but probably picked up the wraith's banner. i think she was trying to get the respawn off right below that roundhouse because she was down there for a while, but it was not in the circle, so she probably just wound up sustaining a lot of damage. octane had split away and gotten himself killed, and bloodhound went after him and got the respawn off, somehow. i thought i'd take care of the wattson on my own, but absolutely whiffed every single shot and she knocked me instead. and then... instead of killing me right away, the wattson tried punching me. it was probably because she was solo at that point and didn't want to draw attention to herself. bloodhoud came in and killed her, with almost no health left at the end of the engagement.

octane takes wattson's stuff, and now we're all set to go against two other teams. there's a mirage sentinel sniping, but octane throws down his ultimate and we get in close. i l-star him to death and octane takes his gold armor. we don't know who's left, but now we're up on the outskirts of dome and sorting factory. there's a drop in the lava, and i trade out my l-star for a devotion. this sparks the interest of a bangalore who probably thought i was solo, comes down to eat a gas grenade and a shitload of energy ammo from my shiny new devotion. while octane and bloodhound surprise her by existing.

not the scrappiest of fights, especially with three 3-on-1 matches at the end there, but it was a constant struggle and it felt real good to get that w in the end.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really starting to get the feeling that there are far too many grenades around this season.
Grenade spam was a huge problem in Blackout at the start, too. One of the solutions Treyarch implemented was removing the most problematic grenades (9-bangs) and later making it so you can't stack grenades. With each grenade taking up a single slot, it made spam a lot less viable, since valuable inventory space that could go towards hot-swappable attachments and consumables was in much higher demand for the late game.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Iv'e finished 2nd as kill leader 5 times in a row in ranked. It's not the W but i'll take it.

My success seems to be down to using the G7 more often. I'm starting to realize that i'm so much better at medium to long range fights then i am at close up 1 on 1s.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

still on silver, but will probably hit gold this weekend. there were some dudes in the tunnel between lower-case city and geyser. the circle was pushing them to us, so i just put canisters down behind every truck and cube on the way down. oh and the normal door that would lead out to the revive station in geyser was blocked because of a canister too, so they would have to come out through the heavy doors. they died to the circle.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
still on silver, but will probably hit gold this weekend. there were some dudes in the tunnel between lower-case city and geyser. the circle was pushing them to us, so i just put canisters down behind every truck and cube on the way down. oh and the normal door that would lead out to the revive station in geyser was blocked because of a canister too, so they would have to come out through the heavy doors. they died to the circle.

Final circles in Geyser in gold are brutal. Around the edge there are hanging vines that can hide your location completely when your behind them. On more than one occasion iv'e seen a full team all hunched up together waiting for the final 3 so they can 3rd party.

It's a viable tactic, but not one i'm going to waste my time chasing.

Last edited:

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Is there no more loss forgiveness for incomplete squads? I got paired with only one teammate, he leaves, I leave, I get double RP reduction and a 10 minutes penalty.

Rest of the night was a mess, between people who use Mirage in ranked, getting paired with level 40s, me being dumb enough to try to recover their banners instead of getting the f away and camp for the rest of the game, me being dumb enough to follow my overlooting team into the vault tunnel and die instead of taking the long way around the mountain like I wanted to do...
I swear people don't look at the map and only take the shortest route to the circle.

I think I added you months ago, never got around to play together but as soon as I get out of hell Silver I'll def invite you. I'm getting so fed up with this game.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I just returned to ranked after not playing almost all last season and it is a breath of fresh air overall compared to casual apex. I've met way more decent players and overall I'm enjoying it so much that it's restored my faith in the game. That being said I remember when I hit Plat 2 that it started to become more stressful than fun....I'm just enjoying my time in Gold atm.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Got my first win last night! Got carried by the team of unknowns though lol they got 7 and 9 kills each, I just did 3 and a whole lot less damage overall. Did my part though, giving ammo, reviving and allowing my squadmate to respawn

It was really fun.

Then it was another fun match where with another team we got sandwiched by two opposing squads to our deaths

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Just had more than 2000 damage for the I think first time ever. 0 kills though since I was practically just firing my Wingman in the air for 20 minutes.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Spend all match searching for a Prowler after finding a selectfire receiver right off the drop only to engage in a gun fight shortly thereafter and die because I forgot to switch to full auto.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the toxicity of this game really gets to me in regards to my teammates. Last night I was playing with a friend and we got into a fire fight. He downed two of the enemies, while I was giving chase to the third and had him on flesh. My friend comes to 'help' while I was firing at the third and finally killed him. Now this was what upset me: my friend got pissed/heated because I was "blocking his shots". The body of my character was in the way of his line of sight while he was firing. Dude was legit mad.

I didn't even say anything after that. When we died in a following gunfight I just left the squad and logged off for the night. I'm not playing with him again. I play games to have some fun and decompress from a day's work. I don't play to be a super sweat/try hard who get aneurysms while playing. I rather put up with dumbass teammates playing solo than having someone yapping off/constantly complaining in my ear about the most trivial things.

Status
Not open for further replies.